TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
10 most inaccurate movies
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:39 AM UTC
Hi All,
All of the combat scene in the " Lord of the Rings" movies.
1. The Nazgul never dove into the city of Minas Tirith during the Battle of the Pelenor Fields.
2. The Orcs were not the only soldiers to fight at both the Pelenor and at Helm's Deep. Many humans fought there too, and in some cases outnumbered the Orcs.
3. It was not Arwen who held off the Nazgul at the River, but Gildor(?) an Elf-Lord.
4. Jackson left out the whole of "Scouring of the Shire" scene, it was very important to the story.

I know Peter Jackson was making an Epic movie, but at least he could have gotten something right.

I have read the novels and saw the first movie, I was so dissapointed by the rewrites and omissions that I refused to see the last two movies.

Chris
pzkfwmk6
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 231 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 02:28 PM UTC
How about if we just be glad someone is making these movies and at least telling some of the story. it sure as hell beats most of the garbage that passes for entertainment out of hollywood lately. How many idiotic so-called comedies can we stomach. Besides Pixar animation, I refuse to see three quarters of the s**t that is put out these days.The last really good comedians were Abbott and Costello. Everyone after them is just retards doing stupid s**t!
I have a good collection of war movies and while not all of them are accurate, they are enjoyable to me to watch. Having reenacted and been in a few documentary shoots, it is not easy to get "real" equipment. Most guys that have real armor or softskins have a budget they work with for reenactments and shows, as hauling these beasts costs bucks.
A friend of mine was pissed at Saving Private Ryan because the ships in the ocean were CG. I asked him where the hell he thought they would find enough "real" ships to fill those scenes! Just be glad someone is making these movies and telling stories, otherwise we'll be stuck with garbage chick flicks and dumba** so-called comedies!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:21 AM UTC
Apparently the concept of "sarcasm" is lost on some people. Get a grip guys. If this comment had to be explained to you, you truly need to seek help. Or you're just a pair of idiots.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They missed "1984" and "1941".

I also tend to question the whole validity of the Star Wars movies. I've yet to see historical documentation that star wars took place a long time ago. And was it really a war or just an undelcared "police action"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know that "1984" is a "what if" film about a could have been precent / future.
Accusing it of being historicaly incorrect ( vehicles etc.) is a bit strange since it´s a purely fictional film.

Quoted Text

1941 is a comedy. A parody of all WWII movies -and a pretty good one. It's one of the few Spilberg movie... (The very presence of Belushi might have been a hint.) As such it definitely will not aim to be accurate -the same way as the Airplane! movies weren't accurate, either. It's a joke, people

Zombiefruit
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I felt they could have been a little more fair in their treatment of those who protect their right to express their views.

i was in the military, the Army, at the tail end of Viet-Nam. i lived off-post and in a college town. i was in my early twenties at the time and i can attest that it was NOT an era where it seemed anybody respected you for being in the military. the cold hearted overt nastiness from civilians my own age, especially the college women was unbelieveable and something i was very unprepared for. somehow the anger against the war was replaced by anger against those who served. i wish i had a buck for every "GI dog!" s i heard or for the "F*** Y** GIs that were yelled from passing cars. (i never was spat on or at, though and never knew anybody who was.) i have to admit that some of the things that went on in the GI town on the opposite side of the post provided much cause for some of the prejudice against the guys in green. compared to three years of that kind of daily treatment in the real world i could hardly find any offense in a TV show like MASH. lastly, no offense intended, but i am always puzzled by the comment i quoted above and its variations. whether a matter of speech, a film, a TV show, a book, or what have you, this "right" to speak your mind or hold a contrary opinion always seems to have an asterisk and a qualifier. i'm often reminded of a lyric from an old Steppenwolf song from their first album back in 1968:

"You're free to speak your mind my friend
As long as you agree with me
Don't criticize the father land
Or those who shape your destiny
'Cause if you do
You'll lose your job your mind and all the friends you knew
We'll send out all our boys in blue
They'll find a way to silence you"

i recently saw a documentary about the consequences of the anti-Bush comment one member of the Dixie Chicks made. people were threatening to kill her and hurt her family. coincidentally, over a hundred radio stations all owned by one media company stopped playing their songs and people were encouraged to stop buying their CDs. there was a quite open attempt to destroy their lives and their careers for doing something they had a legal and constitutionally protected right to do. on a personal basis, i can't logically make the leap between saying that my military service helped protect this Country, the greatness of which is based or rights we all have as citizens among other things, and then expect because i did so that anything anybody says about me or any portrayal of the service i was in is supposed to be uncritical or deferential .

i've also been a biker for most of my life. i never got upset over movies like Born Losers or Wild Hogs even though to me the latter is worse than the former IMHO. people can say and believe as they want. Oliver Stone can toy with history. Hogan's Heros can portray German military as buffons. it's all OK fine. it is what it is; somebody's opinion or view. it's the USA, not the (former) USSR or China under Mao so it's perfectly OK and legal to have one. sometimes i think we forget what those places were like and risk becoming like them.

wow- sorry for the rant! too much coffee today. think i'm going to take a valium and go lay down...

I've been interested in history, specifically WW1, WW2 and present conflicts since I was little and my parents have always been against it. I thought it was because my mother was against the idea of death because she is a vegetarian but a few years ago I asked if their hatred of the army came from growing up during Vietnam (they were in University then) and they realized that it was the reason. So you are right about the amount of disrespect and hate for the army that my parents generation has because it still carries on to this day.
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 07:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All,
All of the combat scene in the " Lord of the Rings" movies.
1. The Nazgul never dove into the city of Minas Tirith during the Battle of the Pelenor Fields.
2. The Orcs were not the only soldiers to fight at both the Pelenor and at Helm's Deep. Many humans fought there too, and in some cases outnumbered the Orcs.
3. It was not Arwen who held off the Nazgul at the River, but Gildor(?) an Elf-Lord.
4. Jackson left out the whole of "Scouring of the Shire" scene, it was very important to the story.

I know Peter Jackson was making an Epic movie, but at least he could have gotten something right.

I have read the novels and saw the first movie, I was so dissapointed by the rewrites and omissions that I refused to see the last two movies.

Chris

I was at the battle of the Pelenor plains and there were definately more orks than humans overthere. The oliphaunts however were the later mk4 late, and not the mk3 earlies they used in the movie though, and they had schurzen and were coated with elverit paste to stop elvish arrows.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I felt they could have been a little more fair in their treatment of those who protect their right to express their views.

i was in the military, the Army, at the tail end of Viet-Nam. i lived off-post and in a college town. i was in my early twenties at the time and i can attest that it was NOT an era where it seemed anybody respected you for being in the military. the cold hearted overt nastiness from civilians my own age, especially the college women was unbelievable and something i was very unprepared for. somehow the anger against the war was replaced by anger against those who served. i wish i had a buck for every "GI dog!" s i heard or for the "F*** Y** GIs that were yelled from passing cars. (i never was spat on or at, though and never knew anybody who was.) i have to admit that some of the things that went on in the GI town on the opposite side of the post provided much cause for some of the prejudice against the guys in green. compared to three years of that kind of daily treatment in the real world i could hardly find any offense in a TV show like MASH. lastly, no offense intended, but i am always puzzled by the comment i quoted above and its variations. whether a matter of speech, a film, a TV show, a book, or what have you, this "right" to speak your mind or hold a contrary opinion always seems to have an asterisk and a qualifier. I'm often reminded of a lyric from an old Steppenwolf song from their first album back in 1968:

"You're free to speak your mind my friend
As long as you agree with me
Don't criticize the father land
Or those who shape your destiny
'Cause if you do
You'll lose your job your mind and all the friends you knew
We'll send out all our boys in blue
They'll find a way to silence you"

i recently saw a documentary about the consequences of the anti-Bush comment one member of the Dixie Chicks made. people were threatening to kill her and hurt her family. coincidentally, over a hundred radio stations all owned by one media company stopped playing their songs and people were encouraged to stop buying their CDs. there was a quite open attempt to destroy their lives and their careers for doing something they had a legal and constitutionally protected right to do. on a personal basis, i can't logically make the leap between saying that my military service helped protect this Country, the greatness of which is based or rights we all have as citizens among other things, and then expect because i did so that anything anybody says about me or any portrayal of the service i was in is supposed to be uncritical or deferential .

i've also been a biker for most of my life. i never got upset over movies like Born Losers or Wild Hogs even though to me the latter is worse than the former IMHO. people can say and believe as they want. Oliver Stone can toy with history. Hogan's Heroes can portray German military as buffoons. it's all OK fine. it is what it is; some body's opinion or view. it's the USA, not the (former) USSR or China under Mao so it's perfectly OK and legal to have one. sometimes i think we forget what those places were like and risk becoming like them.

wow- sorry for the rant! too much coffee today. think I'm going to take a Valium and go lay down...

I've been interested in history, specifically WW1, WW2 and present conflicts since I was little and my parents have always been against it. I thought it was because my mother was against the idea of death because she is a vegetarian but a few years ago I asked if their hatred of the army came from growing up during Vietnam (they were in University then) and they realized that it was the reason. So you are right about the amount of disrespect and hate for the army that my parents generation has because it still carries on to this day.

I still would like to know when the attitude changed and why. i found it ironic that these same people who would speak up for equality and fair treatment of people of color and different ethnic origin, yet turned on us as a group, the antithesis of what they claimed to represent. Some have said the Mi Lai and Lt. Calley became representative of the Military and the people who served in it. I never bought that. Personally, i believe there is no stronger unifying force than a shared hatred. Every group needs their boogeyman as Hitler and every other dictator or despot have proven time and again throughout history. The other interesting thing about that era was I lived in the same town for some years after that and once I didn't look like a GI anymore, I was accepted and treated quite well. Even though it was commonly known that I was former military, it didn't matter at all. years class. Sorry this is off topic, but 33 years later this still bothers me. -:[]-

To return to the intent of this thread, I still wonder why some folks are so obsessed with historical accuracy when in some cases, as pointed out in other comments here, the correct vehicles/equipment are not available or the correct back drop is not achievable from budgetary or other constraints, etc. Realistically (pun intended) if there ate 150 people watching Memphis Belle, Pearl. or Flyboys, how many actually know what's right and what isn't? One or two? It's obvious that the films are mader for the other 148 or 149. How many will even remember the film or the details of the event portrayed a week or a month after? Probably one or two. IMHO the people who place a high value on accuracy seem to be looking more for an affirmation of their understanding of events. Or could this be an opportunity to criticize mistakes as a way to assert that they possess an eclectic knowledge that most people care not a whit about? And, truthfully, you have to admit that history does little for most people except bore them. I care a great deal about various historical eras, but I know no-one else who does. That's OK with me. I think that many miss the point of film in the first place which is simple to provide entertainment to the masses with the intent of making money for those involved in the film. That's why all films have the disclaimer of "Any resemblance to persons or events...is purely coincidental" or "based of real events" which can mean there's someone named Bob in the film and someone named Bob was really at the event. It's obvious that Historians as advisers are available and likely not that hard to find. Because again, the film is for mass consumption by a general audience who want to be entertained, not taught, Historians aren't used. While some details are certainly no big thing to get right such as the location of the last bombing mission in Memphis Belle, the film is not about the bombing missions, but the plane and the men who crewed her. As with the comment about the Mustangs, it may well be as another person commented, there's more of them still around, but also it was probably the most recognizable of the Allied fighters. With the advances in CG and other animation techniques like that used in Flyboys I would like to see more military movies made or remade with the military props being a bit more correct where applicable. That would make me happy regardless of the accuracy of anything else.
If I want true historical accuracy about the mechanics and details of an event, I will read books (emphasis on the plural!) about the event or subject, research it on the internet, and watch documentaries about it if they are available. Yet, even among historians, there can be disagreement.

Ultimately, I can't fault Hollywood for playing loose with the facts as long as I get my money's worth being entertained.
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

We were soldiers- Mel Gibson's blatant Anti- british attitude removed a main Charactor from the film, a Cornishman who fought in the battle alongside Hal, the Guy went onto be Security in one of the Twin towers and was killed 9/11.

Matt

Actually Matt the Englishman you're refering to was in the same unit but his company got ambushed in the Ia Drang valley after Hal Moore's unit had been pulled out that's why there story isn't told in the movie but it is in the book by Hal Moore and Joe Galloway

The Cornishman/ Englishman you're referring to was Rick Recorla the guy credited with saving around 3000 lives from the WTC on 9/11, he died trying to save more.

Read the book "Heart of a Soldier" It's all about his life. He was in the first Ia Drang battle in fact some of the memorable words that were said by Gibson playing moore were actually said by Rescorla and not Moore at all. I think you'll find it was Rescorla who found the bugle as well.
Rescorla's platoon went back in after the second battle/ massacre to rescue survivors.
He was dumped by the film, he had been there and he was pretty upset that he was left out after some of the heroic things he did especially rescuing the survivors.
May be the Holywood couldn't have a Brit looking good in Charge of US troops

A lot of WWS is acurate but like said before, the ending killed the film.
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 01:25 PM UTC
Hi Vic i can't recall Rick Rescola fighting alongside Hal Moore when i read we were soldiers but then it's been a few years since i last read it but i'm pretty sure Rick wasn't involved until after Hal's unit had been pulled out
Vic
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Vic i can't recall Rick Rescola fighting alongside Hal Moore when i read we were soldiers but then it's been a few years since i last read it but i'm pretty sure Rick wasn't involved until after Hal's unit had been pulled out

Hi Lyndon,

now you've gone and done it
It was some time ago that I read WWS as well and Heart of a Soldier soon after. Now it's bugging me so I'll have to get the books out again
You may well be right, may be he went in when Moore came out but I know I read he took part in both battles. Having said that each book is bound to have it's own slant on things depending on who wrote it.

Catch you later

Vic
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Lyndon,

now you've gone and done it
It was some time ago that I read WWS as well and Heart of a Soldier soon after. Now it's bugging me so I'll have to get the books out again
You may well be right, may be he went in when Moore came out but I know I read he took part in both battles. Having said that each book is bound to have it's own slant on things depending on who wrote it.

Catch you later

Vic

Well Vic it's there in a nut shell both books have commonalities but also varying accounts we have to remember that when these accounts were documented both parties were having to recall major events long after they'd happened so it's very easy to see how things get muddled up , also we have to take into account those publishing editors who like to over-dramatise history to give it a more engaging feel for readers
best regards
Lyndon
panzerboy1944
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 236 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 04:54 PM UTC
Hi All
Dont forget about Tora Tora Tora and Midway when The Japanese where attacking the American Carriers you see the Harbor Rigging in the background Wow!!!!
Thanks Lee
Grenadier37
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 232 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I still wonder why some folks are so obsessed with historical accuracy when in some cases, as pointed out in other comments here, the correct vehicles/equipment are not available or the correct back drop is not achievable from budgetary or other constraints, etc.

Maybe it's because some still live at home with mommy and daddy and have nothing better to do.

Here's the formula, 1) Get some popcorn and a drink, 2) watch the movie, 3) enjoy the movie (if it's good).

If you've got time to analyze the movie, try getting a girlfriend or a dog, your choice.

This is such a non-topic it makes my head hurt.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 07:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I still wonder why some folks are so obsessed with historical accuracy when in some cases, as pointed out in other comments here, the correct vehicles/equipment are not available or the correct back drop is not achievable from budgetary or other constraints, etc.

Maybe it's because some still live at home with mommy and daddy and have nothing better to do.

I kinda doubt that and i think your answer sells many of these folks well short. It takes commitment, effort, and passion to know History, or a segment of it that well. It seems there exists a bit of disconnect between possessing a certain knowledge and the understanding that this knowledge is not shared by all and may well be of little or no interest to others. I'd really like to know why this doesn't make any difference for one, and for two, why these folks can't allow themselves to enjoy a piece of entertainment unless every single detail is 100% correct. It strikes me as odd when 45 seconds worth of inaccurate footage can ruin a two hour film for some.

Back on topic:

I watched Samuel Fuller's Steel Helmet (1951) last night. It was the first time I ever saw it. I did notice some things in it, while maybe not necessarily inaccurate, seemed a bit odd. One thing was during the combat scenes what I think was a .30 cal MG being fired at the oncoming enemy troops was shown several times when the only tripod mounted MG the US unit had was the .50 cal. I noticed one of the grunts was wearing tanker boots, which I suppose could have been traded for or found, but still I thought it odd for an Infantry man to be wearing them. The impeccably clean uniformed enemy that were mowed down by the 50 cal were shown acting more like being in the throes of a narcoleptic episode than being struck by 50 cal rounds. But, using my own earlier analogy I doubt many who saw this film back in the early 1950s knew what a 50 cal round would do to a human body or even noticed the difference between a 50 cal and a 30 cal MG. Special effects were pretty un-special back then as well. I don't know if the South Korean National Anthem was then, or ever, to the tune of Auld Lang Syne as performed in the film. I kind of doubt it, but I have learned stranger things than that. There were also clips of Shermans firing that looked very WWII era. These were cut in with clips of later US tanks, M26 Pershings maybe? I'm not sure if Shermans served in Korea, but it was an odd contrast between seeing the two of them. The Shermans looked pretty dated. ( I know they were used by many nations for decades after WWII) There was also footage of artillery pieces in action from some pretty monstrously big caliber stuff to small field guns. Again, this looked like much of it was WWII stock footage. I am not very knowledgeable about artillery so I didn't really know what was what. As I understand it, this was a low budget film. The South Korean boy was a bit of a ham and almost too stereotypical by Western standards of that time. Some of the acting bay all parties was a bit corny compared to today today's standards. Accurate or not, cheesy in places, and at times, too predictable, I still liked watching it. The emotion came across despite everything else.

M4A2Sherman
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 316 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 07:28 AM UTC
To me, alot of the Chuck Norris movies are pretty lame. (I know they are not historically based, it's just that they kill every "bad guy" and only about 1 "good guy" dies everytime.
But they are entertaining.
M4A2Sherman
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 02:08 AM UTC
watched mosquito squadron the other day classic film but the M5 stuart tank dressed up to look like a panzer was a real howler! Ant
adamant
Visit this Community
New Zealand
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

what about "Das Boot" ?

it would seem with CGI being as good as it is today some of these old classics would be neat to remake. i saw Kelly's Heros again recently and was pretty impressed with the large number and variety of military vehicles used in it.

did the series "Band of Brothers" make it out of the US? and "Saving Private Ryan"? how are those perceived? i know there are no doubt divergences from reality in any war picture, but they were a transition from the cowboys vs. indians mentality many older military movies followed.

a question: if you could pick a WWII movie to be remade with all the modern technology to make it accurate in regards to equipment and historical accuracy, what would you want to see remade?

Ive given some thought to that question and rather then a remake of say a Bridge to far, a modern full feature on the battle of Arnhem would be awesome imo. Have always been intrigued by stories from that particular battle from a very early age.

BOB and SPR were well received by myself and many ive spoken to here at home! As far as atmosphere and authentic portrayal of uniforms weapons etc these two leave all others for dead. Given there are few modern films i can handle watching once id say that speaks volumes for the efforts of Spielberg and Hanks.

Also looking forward to the Pacific mini series! is this out in the States? If BOB was anything to go by this should be another classic, one would hope given the $150.000.000 budget and considering another land mark production that broke the mold Platoon had a budget of only $6.000.000.

On historical accuracy, as far as who, what and why, i would think audience and target market plays a big part in determining how far a story lands from the bulls eye. In other words, artistic license is guided by profit? To this day i maintain Hollywood is the last place to seek reality
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 03:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

a question: if you could pick a WWII movie to be remade with all the modern technology to make it accurate in regards to equipment and historical accuracy, what would you want to see remade?

the longest day... give it the bloody realism of band of brothers and you've got a top draw film, also i'd love to see Ben-Hur remade if it was done with the visuality of Gladiator again a fantstic film don't get me wrong Charlton heston's portrayal of Ben-Hur is still as good today as it was 50 years ago but the film is looking dated now. but in a good way, it seems hollywood has lost something since the advent of CGI that being epic storylines and sets on an epic scale... i mean Ben-Hur still holds the record for oscars... and what tripe do we get from hollywood, slumdog millionaire! i'm not knocking Danny Boyle but come on was the film really worth the truck load of oscars it won? sorry for the rant there not really topical to the thread but just my opinion. but like i said hollywood has lost something... the art of the epic, Gone with the wind, Cleopatra, Ben-Hur the Longest day, films with huge international casts whose performances all play of each other with sets so large they take up the screen not 20% real set 80% CGI. Films so large and costly that studios nearly go bankrupt taking the gamble. Ant
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 - 05:00 AM UTC
Platoon
Apocalypse Now

Nothing more needs to be said...except, maybe, "Oliver Stone."

my too sense,

Matt
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Saving Private Ryan, has so many mistakes and is totally in accurate.
All these modern films use the same technical advisor, he sometimes has roles in films aswell.

We were soldiers- Mel Gibson's blatant Anti- british attitude removed a main Charactor from the film, a Cornishman who fought in the battle alongside Hal, the Guy went onto be Security in one of the Twin towers and was killed 9/11.

Matt

His name was( Lt. ) Rick Rascorla. He spent time in the British Army before coming to the U.S. and joining the Army (and becoming a citizen). He was known (in the Royal Army) for keeping his troops calm under fire by singing some (insulting) army songs and being a great LEADER. I might be wrong about the spelling of his name...it might be Rick Lascorla. In any case, he was a leader, and a Soldier. He is on the cover of the book, in front, carrying the M-16.

On 9-11, he got 3500 people out of the Tower, leading by calming them with the same songs he sang in battle. He led them to safety, and went back in to make sure all were out before leaving himself. He was on the way out when the Tower collapsed. He is in the company of heroes today.

I met Joe Galloway (the Author), and he told some wonderful stories over breakfast. Galloway is the young reporter in the movie, and in the real battle, he manned an automatic weapon and took part. He was awarded the Bronze Star w/combat 'V'. He is the only civilian to receive this decoration.

Thanks for your time to read this. Thanks to those of you who have served...Welcome Home.

Matt
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 - 07:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...it seems hollywood has lost something since the advent of CGI that being epic storylines and sets on an epic scale... i mean Ben-Hur still holds the record for oscars... and what tripe do we get from hollywood, slumdog millionaire! i'm not knocking Danny Boyle but come on was the film really worth the truck load of oscars it won? sorry for the rant there not really topical to the thread but just my opinion. but like i said hollywood has lost something... the art of the epic, Gone with the wind, Cleopatra, Ben-Hur the Longest day, films with huge international casts whose performances all play of each other with sets so large they take up the screen not 20% real set 80% CGI. Films so large and costly that studios nearly go bankrupt taking the gamble. Ant

padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 - 07:23 PM UTC
thanks for the drinks Jim although i'm a teetoller they're virtual drinks so i'll get drunk on them virtually lol. Ant
big_jim1976
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 25 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 - 06:43 AM UTC
i think next time hollywood does a war movie they need to hire us to get it right lol
lespauljames
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 08:42 PM UTC
browsing through the Blu rays in blockbuster the other day, i picked up a box that had a glaring Swastika on it (colours stood out) i had a look around, chap with period glasses, and a well dressed woman on the fron (iirc)
oop look down there at that corner. looks like a leopard to me.
lol.
the name had something to do with citerons
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,453 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 11:43 PM UTC
I sat down last night to watch the first two episodes of the four-part 1992 mini-series "Frankie's House" which is set in Vietnam and centres on the real-life characters of photo-journalists Tim Page and Sean Flynn (the son of Errol).

The sight of "GIs" in '70s - '80s era camo fatigues early on in Episode 1 didn't bode well, but things got worse with the appearance of ARVN troops riding around on CENTURIONS. Surely they should've been M41s?

It was clear´from this and other minor give-aways that this was an Australian production .

- Steve
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 10:11 AM UTC
I watched a documentary on the Tiger tank on a show called Heavy Metal. I wasn't too surprised to see their "fuctional" Tiger I that they filmed with the crew in action was a T-34 with sheet metal work. It was still a good documentary. It was just odd seeing the thing. I remember seeing my first T-34 as Tiger in Kelly's Heroes and getting a glimpse of another in the military convoy scene from Hannibal. Then there was a movie whose name escapes me where a couple of US soldiers flee their units and end up hooked up with a band of partisans that are mainly children. I'm not sure what flavor of tank shows up with the Germans. It looked part Maytag or maybe Kenmore...

I know Band of Brothers has its critics. I liked the series, accurate or not. Another one set in the PTO called obviously enough "the Pacific" done by the same people who did BoB is out soon. Web site is here:

http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index.html