TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
10 most inaccurate movies
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:54 AM UTC
1941 is a comedy. A parody of all WWII movies -and a pretty good one. It's one of the few Spilberg movie... (The very presence of Belushi might have been a hint.) As such it definitely will not aim to be accurate -the same way as the Airplane! movies weren't accurate, either. It's a joke, people

Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 02:32 PM UTC

I'm totally suprised no-one has mentioned "Patton"! I love that movie, but, I cringe every time I see American Armor in Panzer yellow and green.

Hil

Airy

Us!

Cuhail
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 04:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you mean that Battle of the Bulge with its M47s and M24s According to the liner notes it is History Recreated.
But OK lets give their dues, it is still a good film and there were not to many King Tigers running around in 1965 (or today) waiting to in some film.

According to this film, the battle of the bulge was fought in the autumn, and lasted only about three days.... and lets not start about the ending of it... As war movies go, Battle of the Bulge has to be a favourite contender for 'worst movie'.

Navboyry
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 26 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 05:12 PM UTC
2001: A Space Odyssey
According to this film, in year 2001 we would have had manned voyages to Jupiter, a battle of wits with a sentient computer, and a quantum leap in human evolution. Instead we got the Mir Space Station falling from the sky, Windows XP, and Freddy Got Fingered. Apparently the lesson here is that sometimes it's better when the movies get the facts all wrong.

Yes!!!!!!
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 06:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

According to this film, in year 2001 we would have had manned voyages to Jupiter, a battle of wits with a sentient computer, and a quantum leap in human evolution. Instead we got the Mir Space Station falling from the sky, Windows XP, and Freddy Got Fingered. Apparently the lesson here is that sometimes it's better when the movies get the facts all wrong.

Yes!!!!!!

Yeah but two years from now Helen Mirren will captain another ship to Jupiter! I've signed on to that crew.....

Bob
CMOT70
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 629 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 09:58 PM UTC
And if you want to mention motor racing movies then how about "Driven"? I mean Stalone actually fitting into a single seater race cockpit? Unfortunately that's the least of the movies innacuracies.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 02:27 AM UTC
Read Blackhawk Down, then watch the movie. It is oddly one book to movie that is fairly close. Sure there are some embellishments, but the movie is pretty fair to the book. As for the Battle itself, it is considered the most lopsided victory in US military history.

Details

US/UN

160 Rangers + UN Rescue force

U.S.
18 killed
73 wounded
1 captured
Malaysia
1 killed
7 wounded
Pakistan
2 wounded

Somalia

Strength Estimated over 5,000

SNA Militia and civilians
Unknown, estimates range from 200to at least 500killed (U.S. est. 1,000-1,500) and 3,000-4,000 wounded (U.S. est.); some estimates as high as over 10,000 killed
SNA Militia
Est. 133 killed (SNA estimate)to 700+ killed
Est. 1,000+ wounded
21 captured

It was a battle that was going to be fought and no matter the outcome it still was negative for the US. Even if NO UN deaths happened, its outcome would have still been negative. I knew guys who were there. I know sailors who were off shore, I know rangers who “chalked in”, I know marines who came in later. It was a FUBAR mission from the start.

But, the Movie was as close to a true event book as I have seen in a LONG time.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm totally suprised no-one has mentioned "Patton"! I love that movie, but, I cringe every time I see American Armor in Panzer yellow and green.

Hil

Airy

Us!

Cuhail

Producers have to use what's available. The movie was made circa 1970. There were no CG effects to reproduce Pz IV's and Tigers. At least they tried to get the colors about right.

Quoted Text

2001 was science fiction produced in 1969. To list that as inaccurate is about as valid as saying Alien or for that matter, Sleepless in Seattle were inaccraute. They are tellilng stories about events for which there is no historical basis,
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 12:18 PM UTC
[quote]
‘BlackHawk Down’? Too long, too loud, too many Bad Guys lining up to get shot down like tin targets in a carnival shooting gallery (the Bad Guys can’t have been that stupid [quote]

i was there . (not during that fight) and yes they were that stupid
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I knew guys who were there. I know sailors who were off shore, I know rangers who “chalked in”, I know marines who came in later. It was a FUBAR mission from the start.

true that . i cant count how many times i saw marines in the well deck counting ammo .
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 12:01 PM UTC
They are movies you know so of course they will differ from the real thing otherwise they would just be a documentary. The majority of the people watching would not know the real differences anyway. IMHO
footsie
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 305 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 01:02 AM UTC
movie makers tend to get anything involving the military totally wrong we all know that !!!!!!!! but can anyone think of a movie they got right, event and accuracy wise ?
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but can anyone think of a movie they got right, event and accuracy wise ?

Whilst this is a question for a different thread (seeing as this thread is about 'inaccurate' movies.. ) the first one to spring to mind is 'Theirs is the Glory'. Filmed in 1946 in the ruins of Arnhem and Oosterbeek, starring only the veterans of the First Airborne Division, and civilians who where there. A very accurate account of what happend, and with real Panthers, rather than the dressed up Leopards from A Bridge to Far.

clip on you tube

Of note are the charge by the Para's on the bridge, using their famous Battlecry 'Whao Mohammed', and the Panthers. Not sure if the Ausf. D is 100% correct though.

Henk
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 04:30 AM UTC
Yeesss!!

At the start of this compilation the scene where the Char B2 Flamm gets piatted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSpY6-ERm5s&feature=related

The Poles managed to capture an Ausf D around Breda some there must still have been some about (is it possible that one of the Panthers is the Breda tank?)

David
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 05:17 AM UTC
Mind you, they don't just have one Panther either ...
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

movie makers tend to get anything involving the military totally wrong we all know that !!!!!!!! but can anyone think of a movie they got right, event and accuracy wise ?

My perennial favourite is They Were Not Divided (( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043039/)) which has a few small inaccuracies, but is a most enjoyable movie despite a few shortcomings - Cromwells being painted desert sand, standing in for the then non-existent Crusaders, etc.
Some great period details - lots of Shermans, soft skins, even a Tiger (which may be trials or news footage spliced in, but since it carries the same 'grain' as the rest of the film and doesn't look like an obvious 1950s cut scene, I think there's an interesting story there...)

Also well worth a look is The Way Ahead (( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037449/ )) which is a cut above the usual 'mould a bunch of misfits into a battle ready unit' type of movie.
David Niven is excellent as the Rifle Brigade officer who leads his troops into battle, and there are numerous grittily realistic scenes when the characters finally see action -- carriers roaring through a Tunisian village, 6 Pounder in action, etc.

Here's the thing - both made close to the time of the events they were protraying (in the case of the latter, during the events etc), neither of them have the slightest whiff of Hollywood near them, being British films through and through.

acav out
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:59 PM UTC
'They were not divided' portrayed the Welsh Guards who were the only part of the Guards Armoured Division not to have Shermans..... oops But otherwise the tank scenes are great, with the 2" smoke mortar getting a workout and excellent bailing out action.

David
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Read Blackhawk Down, then watch the movie. It is oddly one book to movie that is fairly close. Sure there are some embellishments, but the movie is pretty fair to the book. As for the Battle itself, it is considered the most lopsided victory in US military history.

Details

US/UN

160 Rangers + UN Rescue force

U.S.
18 killed
73 wounded
1 captured
Malaysia
1 killed
7 wounded
Pakistan
2 wounded

Somalia

Strength Estimated over 5,000

SNA Militia and civilians
Unknown, estimates range from 200to at least 500killed (U.S. est. 1,000-1,500) and 3,000-4,000 wounded (U.S. est.); some estimates as high as over 10,000 killed
SNA Militia
Est. 133 killed (SNA estimate)to 700+ killed
Est. 1,000+ wounded
21 captured

It was a battle that was going to be fought and no matter the outcome it still was negative for the US. Even if NO UN deaths happened, its outcome would have still been negative. I knew guys who were there. I know sailors who were off shore, I know rangers who “chalked in”, I know marines who came in later. It was a FUBAR mission from the start.

But, the Movie was as close to a true event book as I have seen in a LONG time.

Ok, my turn, the mission was a political mess, mission wise, the u.s.troops captured the guys they were looking for, poor planning, yes. But to think something was NOT going to happen after what had been going on for a few weeks/months prior to U.N. troops, that was being oblivious. As a battle, a victory for U.S. Troops, to cause that many kills/casualties to a foreign force and come out with with our casualty count as it was. That was a stomping. Brings back battles of armies being outnumbered, as in the Brits vs the Zulus, Spartans vs Persians, and pulling out a victory. That is where this battle falls in that category. Against overwhelming odds and complete the mission with a victory.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...too many...lining up to get shot down like tin targets in a carnival shooting gallery (the Bad Guys can’t have been that stupid...

Yes they were, just like at Passchendaele.
ausboarder
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:14 AM UTC
hahaha, i was watching a movie, a while back, but i can remember the Panzers were plastic models
:D

cant remember the name, sorry :S

cheers, smithy
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...too many...lining up to get shot down like tin targets in a carnival shooting gallery (the Bad Guys can’t have been that stupid...

Yes they were, just like at Passchendaele.

ahh, but at Passchendaele it was not the Bad Guys doing the lining up...
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 02:25 PM UTC
Most movies will have inaccuracies, otherwise they would just be documentaries.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:23 PM UTC
what about "Das Boot" ?

it would seem with CGI being as good as it is today some of these old classics would be neat to remake. i saw Kelly's Heros again recently and was pretty impressed with the large number and variety of military vehicles used in it.

did the series "Band of Brothers" make it out of the US? and "Saving Private Ryan"? how are those perceived? i know there are no doubt divergences from reality in any war picture, but they were a transition from the cowboys vs. indians mentality many older military movies followed.

a question: if you could pick a WWII movie to be remade with all the modern technology to make it accurate in regards to equipment and historical accuracy, what would you want to see remade?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 01:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

what about "Das Boot" ?

I'm curious what you found very inaccurate about Das Boot? When I saw that in the movies (German with English subtitles) it was one of the most intense films I could remember . It was based on a novel written by a German war correspondent who searved on U-boats in the Atlantic.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 02:02 PM UTC
i should have been more clear. i didn't intend to sound as if i found anything inaccurate in it. i thought it was a great film and beyond intense. this thread sort of bounces both ways with some good stuff mentioned and some bad stuff. i was asking opinions of whether others thought it was good or bad.

an earlier post said the paint jobs on tanks were inaccurate and i guess some tanks themselves were not what they were portrayed to be in a film. that affected his enjoyment of the film. i'm an electronics tech and some of the computer or electronic related techno-babble i hear in movies does make me cringe at times because it is so nonsensical and at best terribly inaccurate. but i know that 99% of the peolple watching it don't have my eclectic knowledge of the subject so it blows right by them and they have a good time with the movie. so do i. if the movie is enjoyable i can't let a technical inaccuracy spoil it for me. (i can only imagine what doctors go through!) if something is both accurate AND entertaining it is a rare moment and quite enjoyable. but, something that is supposed to accurate and presented as such and isn't a "based on" or "inspired by the true story of" and it's something i think i know about, i do feel disappointed to angry if they get it wrong.

i guess until i read this thread i wasn't aware that accuracy superceded entertainment outside the realm of documentaries to such a degree. i don't think it's bad and i'm not criticizing, i'm just sort of surprised by it.

one of my favorite war flicks is Apocalypse Now! despite that it is so outrageous and very likely exaggerated. I just enjoy it and i don't care how bogus it is. counter to that, i work with a guy who says he fully understands what being in the military is like and being in a war under combat because he viewed Full Metal Jacket. and he means it sincerely.