Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
The Tavern (topics not related to modelling)
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 481 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 01:51 PM UTC
Hi Jeremy, have to agree on the WW2 in Color. I tink they showed that on Discovery Channel. Just yesterday nite, they showed the episode abt the D-Day landings. I hv a set of WW2 doc DVD based on actual WW2 newsreel footage.
DAK
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 42 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 05:59 PM UTC
I never really took notice of documentaries titles. But I have ever watched a documentary many years ago by the name of "World At War". It begins with the words "World At War" on fire.... Its black n white. I ever recorded an episode on my video and that episode is about the African campaign. Thats how I come to be interested in that particular theatre of war.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 08:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I never really took notice of documentaries titles. But I have ever watched a documentary many years ago by the name of "World At War". It begins with the words "World At War" on fire.... Its black n white. I ever recorded an episode on my video and that episode is about the African campaign. Thats how I come to be interested in that particular theatre of war.

I would fully recommend making the transition to documentaries as it adds quite a lot of impact knowing that the people you see being shot in the footage isnt the result of some hollywood effect.

I ended up appreciating the D-Day landings even more when i saw the soldiers jump off the landing craft and getting shot straight after. I was hooked onto the History channel ever since. Not sure if they have this channel in singapore though.
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 10:09 PM UTC
Today is the 12th anniversary of the infamous "Black Hawk Down" a U.S. raid on Somalia, in which19 soldiers and two Black Hawk helicopters were lost. Delta Snipers Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart were awarded the Medal of Honor for their efforts in saving the 2nd downed Black Hawk crew.

"Rangers Lead the Way!" Always.

Drinks all around.

"The Revolution is Coming" Che
"Those who arent with us are against Us" George Bush
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 02:23 AM UTC
I watched Black Hawk Down the movie.. I must say it was rather touching at times.. To see the will to survive being cut short by some bandits.

Quoted Text

I was hooked onto the History channel ever since. Not sure if they have this channel in singapore though.

We don't have the History Channel here but we got the National Geo Channel and the Discovery Channel over here in Sg. Unfortunately, you must subscribe for a cable to watch such channels. The free-to-air channels seldom show such war related documentaries.

Well... what more can I say, it's all about $$ here in Sg. :-)
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 03:05 AM UTC
I sure miss these mini series.
NAM tour of Duty
Star Gate SG-1
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 07:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We don't have the History Channel here but we got the National Geo Channel and the Discovery Channel over here in Sg. Unfortunately, you must subscribe for a cable to watch such channels. The free-to-air channels seldom show such war related documentaries.

Well... what more can I say, it's all about $$ here in Sg. :-)

Its not that much more different here i can tell you that. I pay about $70 a month to get what they call Sky Digital here but the extra channels are certainly worth it. Its a shame that you dont have the History channel as war documentaries are shown practically everyday.

As for missing out on Stargate SG-1 and even Stargate Atlantis....ive only got one word for you before i get slapped......BitTorrent.

I would also once again recommend the TV series 'Over There' if any of you get the chance to watch it.
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 10:02 AM UTC
Tyrant, Regimes and Dictator will not last long. They ll topple. Resistance start small but they bite. This is not a political topic but isn't it interesting to view this topic? Tyrants, Dictators, they oppress the people, LOCK things up . Hide their dark secrets

Charlie Chaplin once made a movie title the great dictator. It was before hitler came to power...but it reflects the downfall even before it happens. In the movie, there was 2 dictator, Hitler and Mussolini they both climb a ladder and tried to climb higher than each other. But the higher they climb the harder they fall. Very interesting. What do u think? Any other movies u guys want to add? The Gladiator was a good one too.
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 01:34 PM UTC
Actually, I love all movies that have armies fighting each other, no matter what era. Not those 'one hero against all' movies like those starring Van Damme, Dolph Lundgren, Chuck Norris, Arnie and Sly. Very irritating to watch when they can stand in the open and spray bullets at enemies hiding in nooks & crannies and don't get shot!

Braveheart, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, Lord of The Rings series, Last Samurai, The Patriot are all my in DVD collection.
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 11:44 PM UTC
I think i'm very much like Psyfool in the aspect of movies.. heh .. :-)

As long as there are Armies fighting against each other... It just seems to draw my attention towards it. But no one man invincible fighter like Robocop..
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 390 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 02:18 PM UTC
Helo guys!!
i was surfing and reading article in here but only one have really caught my attention.. read this forum..what u tink?
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/60627&page=1
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 05:23 PM UTC
I saw that article in the forums.. I personally think Dragon is slowly creeping up on Tamiya. But they're only creeping up on the AFVs & 1/16s. Tamiya still provides models that Dragon can't compete with. Another player in the market would be Trumpeter (but i seriously think they got to first work on their Box Art)..

As for value for money.. Dragon with their PE parts are really a steal compared to Tamiya. I think that's the only major plus point DML has compared to Tamiya.

But in the end... we're the ones that benefit the most.. haha..
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 09:37 PM UTC
well, for me...i tink dml has more variety in terms of figures and afvs...
i started off modellin using tamiya kit...how abt u guys?
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 10:44 PM UTC
Me too... I started off with a Tamiya kit. (1/700 battle ship, not forgetting those 4WD cars in Primary School).

My first AFV is Tamiya's Tiger Early Production. I think i'll only change to DML when I clear my stash of Tamiya kits.. (But I really want to get DML's 88Flak. )
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 05:33 AM UTC
I started off with Tamiya but not WW2 stuff. That time, I haven't even heard of DML.

Guys, I tink we're still talking abt modelling. I tot this thread is not supposed to have any modelling chat? Let's see, my other loves at the moment would be Dirt Bikes ( I own an XR400R), Cars (Just got an OPC Kia Cerato that I'm modifying everyday with stickers), PS2 games (especially WW2 games), Soccer (Fave EPL team is Spurs),...and probably fishes (I have a 6ft tank with some weird fishes)...Not sure if any of these interest u guys though....
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I started off with Tamiya but not WW2 stuff. That time, I haven't even heard of DML.

Guys, I tink we're still talking abt modelling. I tot this thread is not supposed to have any modelling chat? Let's see, my other loves at the moment would be Dirt Bikes ( I own an XR400R), Cars (Just got an OPC Kia Cerato that I'm modifying everyday with stickers), PS2 games (especially WW2 games), Soccer (Fave EPL team is Spurs),...and probably fishes (I have a 6ft tank with some weird fishes)...Not sure if any of these interest u guys though....

haha..this is modellers talk..once a modeller, always a modeller...haha...
well, i use to support man u and liverpool but now im a neutral...i love watching small teams now...they play exciting football...teams usually i watch, charlton & westham
even though i have a bike and car license, i don own any except that i drive in my family proton gen2...
i love dirt bikes & super big bikes like hayabusa...cars for me has got to be the skyline gtr...for gaming, i like one person shooting game...as for other hobbies, im a 1/6 collector, transformers (i have stopped, too expensive and too many), , sleeping :-) and watching beautiful gerls off all races :-) .....
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 10:58 AM UTC
hey psyfool how old is ur xr400r?
DAK
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 42 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 01:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...watching beautiful gerls off all races

haha! isn't this a generic hobby for us all? (++)

Apart from modelling... which i haven't been doing for awhile, I like photography. Not to the extend of buying vacuum box etc. Just like to bring my digicam around and take pictures whenever I see something interesting. Usually buildings, cars, natural stuffs ie trees, flowers etc... no girls OK haha!! wait kenna slap!
I watched soccer and I supported Liverpool. Been a fan since I'm in Primary 3. Its recent form is worrying but Liverpool will be Liverpool... they will prevail someday.
Don't own any vehicle now but was thinking of getting one in the near future. Practical one would be a Hyundai Getz. But would love to own a Toyota RAV4 2-door or a Honda Jazz (Fit).
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've owned my XR for 6 yrs already. However, it's COE is ending next year, so it's almost 10yrs old. Will renew the COE though coz I still love my trusty old thumper. It has been of good service all these yrs getting me to the model shops all round Singapore!
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 02:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

haha..this is modellers talk..once a modeller, always a modeller...haha...
well, i use to support man u and liverpool but now im a neutral...i love watching small teams now...they play exciting football...teams usually i watch, charlton & westham
even though i have a bike and car license, i don own any except that i drive in my family proton gen2...
i love dirt bikes & super big bikes like hayabusa...cars for me has got to be the skyline gtr...for gaming, i like one person shooting game...as for other hobbies, im a 1/6 collector, transformers (i have stopped, too expensive and too many), , sleeping :-) and watching beautiful gerls off all races :-) .....

When I was looking for a car to buy, it was a toss up between Cerato Hatchback or Gen2 sports edition. In the end went for the Cerato. Skyline? Though I love that car but I don't tink I'll ever own one in my life time! I also love big bikes, but I only have a class 2A. I love Paris Dakar lookalike bikes like Africa Twin. As for games, I also like first person shooters like Medal of Honor, Borthers In Arm, Call Of Duty. Also collects toys, especially McFarlanes. Gerls? Which guyz don't like gers? But can only see...No touch, got wife and baby already liao
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 02:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't own any vehicle now but was thinking of getting one in the near future. Practical one would be a Hyundai Getz. But would love to own a Toyota RAV4 2-door or a Honda Jazz (Fit).

Good choice of cars, especially the RAV4. Love it but too expensive for my budget When I was looking for a car, my criteria were it has to be not expensive and also not too common. Actually it cost almost as much as a Vios, Getz or Lancer. But now there are so many on the road Main purpose of owning is becoz of my baby gerl. I still prefer zooming ard on my bike
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 03:00 PM UTC
Guys guys guys.....Its nice to see my little tavern growing...U can talk about anything here. Just be carefull or u might get Locked up by the regime and thats the end of my tavern.
I can drive, but i don't have a car, its rather impractical cos my station is near my place plus i work shift. But if i do want to get a car, its either a Lancer or a MAzda 3. As for my other hobbies, I collect 1/6 figures, starwars, I like to play First Person Shooter games like Operation Flashpoint, VietCong, Swat etc.. I dont like those fantasy games. With me, YOU"LL NEVER WALK ALONE Yeah i am a Liverpool Fan. And i am also a member of "As long as its not MAN U Club" I also Fly RC helicopters, i pick up the hobby about 2 mths ago. I have completed my basic heli and going for the advance Heli flying now. I m gonna fly the T-Rex next week. I am a strong advocate for democracy and a great supporter of the US policy (esp those that s related to toppling regime)
Anyway, its great to see our forum growing and i hope to see a democratically elected president in North Korea
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 04:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I've owned my XR for 6 yrs already. However, it's COE is ending next year, so it's almost 10yrs old. Will renew the COE though coz I still love my trusty old thumper. It has been of good service all these yrs getting me to the model shops all round Singapore!

see, this is the reason why i need a bike of my own...bike small and easy to go ard...if only i could convince my parents...
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 04:35 PM UTC
Wow wow wow... I can't afford any of the cars or bikes (maybe 2nd hand one)... I'm still a poor nut... :-)

Still schooling lah... Heh, maybe I can go get Tamiya ones (don't need license). I got a driving license though, drive my parents car till I can afford one. BTW, just out of curiousity, why a Bike & Car??

Did I read: "You'll never walk alone"??... Liverpool is the best team man... no doubt! Once a Liverpool fan... forever a Liverpool fan. No Man U & Chelsea (stupid billionaire) please...
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 04:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, just out of curiousity, why a Bike & Car??

It's not that I'm loaded or something like that. The bike has already been paid off in full so not much expenses on it. I use the bike to get to work, run quick errands & Hobby Shops! As for the car, it's a weekend car so can only use at night & weekends. And being just a KIA, it's quite affordable. I don't enjoy driving too much really with the jam and all. But need it when I bring my family out. Can't 'tompang' my wife & baby on my bike together... :-)