Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
habits carried over from you service days?
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 05:40 AM UTC
have you still got habits from your service days? mines is the bed must be made as soon as I get up and placing the alarm clock over the other side of the room. This was due to me having very early starts some times at 02.00 hrs just stopped me crawling back into bed. I hate it now if wife leaves it unmade even if the covers need changing guess some old habits dont die got a few others as well :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 05:56 AM UTC
Have to keep the gig line, you know, shirt buttons, belt buckle edge, and trouser fly all lined up.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 06:07 AM UTC
lol!!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I do the gig line thing also. I also eat so damn fast (as a result of Basic Training ) that my wife has barely taken 3 or 4 bites and I am almost done. I have tried and tried to slow down but after 15 years in the army I still eat pretty damn fast.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
Same problem here Brent! LOL!

I am always either early (hurry up and wait) or on-time and will spend the next 25 years trying to get my wife to do the same.

Rolling up my underwear,

Swearing.

And up until 7 months ago.... smoking (however, still drinking).
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 06:30 AM UTC
That's funny - I'm on the gig-line and the fast eating boat too!

My wife says I also "march" when walking...

I simply can't stand to go to Malls - all the random ways people amble about drives me nuts. She says I walk in a straight line with even steps - even on the beach in sand.

Old habits are hard to break...

Gunnie
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 06:34 AM UTC
I've always eaten fast but I have to stop myself from adjusting coworkers collars when they have screwed them up.

And I think they should have drill instructors patrolling airports. What kind of moron forms a line that cuts across a corridor. Down the wall you idiots.

Paul
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:10 AM UTC
Oh, man, eating fast and checking the gig line (with my gut, that's getting tricky!).

What about drinking coffee? I never finished a cup of coffee in my life until I joined the Army. Started the first or second day of basic training. During my years in uniform, I'd drink coffee from the time I woke up until I either went to bed or switched to beer for the evening. Now I drink about a pot a day and must quit by noon or I'll be up all night and too geeked to model.

Also, I still field strip cigarettes when I'm outdoors and a buttcan is nowhere to be found. Smoking was a nasty habit I picked up in the service and have never managed to quit for long. At least I don't toss the butts all over the countryside.
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 393 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 09:17 PM UTC
Same for me with all the things you guys mentioned previously. Plus, I still put my personal things in the same place each night so they're ready to go in the morning, always lay out my clothes to include underwear and socks, tool shop organized the way an Army Motor Pool would be. I guess the hardest thing for me to do in civilian life is to punch the clock after 8 hrs when there's still something left to do. The civilian world just isn't mission oriented. But I'm working on it.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 09:26 PM UTC
Ahhh - drinking coffee! Nirvana!

I learned to drink coffee in Basic Training - and now - a morning without a cup of Joe just ain't right!

This is one habit I won't give up...

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:08 PM UTC
Same here with the eating fast and the coffee. I started to smoke in basic but gave it up 4 years ago. One bad habit I am glad to be rid of. Cigs only cost .19 cents a pack when I was in and $4.00 bought you a carton at the commissary. I gave up worrying about my gig line when the road got wider :-) I spend my day sitting all the time so no need to worry about it any more. But I have to have everthing in it's proper place still.
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:16 PM UTC
It's amazing how similar we all are in these habits! I too eat way too fast and check my gig line. I also have to have my shoe laces left over right. I like things in the house to be in their place when not in use. I have a hard time getting the rest of the family to get with the program in that regard.
CACMAN
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 22 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:22 PM UTC
ANy Ex-British Squddies will probably know this one...

Grass - I dont walk on the grass when there is a path even if it is quicker i still walk around....Dunno why it just feels wrong to do ........

any other ex- Mob do that?

scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:38 PM UTC
For me:
- never be late
- looking always as "sharp" as possible even while wearing casual clothes
- eating fast
- respect for hierarchy
There are also some "side effects" left, having served in the Cavalry:
- always stand up when a lady gets in the room (only in social life)
- always kiss a married woman hand while introduced or in salutations
Ciao
Fabio
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:45 PM UTC
I never really thought about it untill I read all your posts. But I realise now I still have alot of habits I picked up in the Army. I enhale my food and drink coffee like its water. I still get a haircut every two weeks and a barber shave once a month, I couldnt imagine letting my hair touch my ear let alone my collar :-) I set the alarm clock and my watch to go off one minute apart so I cant fall back asleep. Every shirt in my closet has to be buttoned up to the collar and all facing the same way with sleeves overlaping. I also still tuck in my shoe laces, even on my trainers. Im sure there are many more things that I do that I picked up in the service but they have just become so natural I dont even think about it anymore. As long as I dont march down the street in step with a band that no one else can hear I think I'll be ok. :-)
Cheers,
Bryan
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:08 PM UTC
Seems that we all have a lot in common here... Gig lines and guts for us older vets.

To add to my previous... I can still sleep anywhere, anytime, any position.

I always back in to a parking spot.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As long as I dont march down the street in step with a band that no one else can hear I think I'll be ok. :-)

Hey! I do this all of the time - wots wrong with it?!?

Gunnie
CRS
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:00 AM UTC
I go along with the guts and gig lines. Here's a strange one my wife always gets on me about.
I never let my POV get below a quarter tank, was a requirement in Berlin.

Oh, and this one make lots of people mad here, I stop ( don't enter intersections) on yellow lights, was the standard in Germany when I was there in the 60's.
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:12 AM UTC
If Ex-Royal isn't joking, someone needs to tell him he hasen't been discharged.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:24 AM UTC
ever noticed if walking along side your mate you always end up marching in step?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I never let my POV get below a quarter tank, was a requirement in Berlin.

Me too - makes me damned uncomfortable!

Man, I'm so glad you piped-up - I'm not the only one out there with that neurosis...

Gunnie
CRS
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:12 AM UTC
Gunnie - The worst part is trying to get the wife to check her car's gas gauge.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:23 AM UTC
This has provided a great chuckle for me. Does anyone do preventive maintenance checks and services on their POV's? Two to three times a week I am outside early in the AM popping the hood and doing a walk around at a minimum. I too don't run low on fuel. You would never live down running out of fuel in my last unit.

The army taught me respect for rank and seniority. I always call strangers that are older than me "sir" or "ma'am". That really throws a lot of people off.

I too keep my hair short. I don't wear anything other than a "high and tight". I can't imagine ever letting my hair grow out again.

Man this is hilarious. Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories. My wife and I have only been married a little over a year. She is amused by how "programmed" I am by the army. But, I wouldn't give it back for anything.

I guess it goes to show you can take the man out of the military but you can't take the military out of the man.
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 393 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:38 AM UTC
SgtSauer, you are definitely right about that, and thank God that you are. My son sometimes laughs at my "military" habits, but he's about to join the Marines. He'll learn.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie - The worst part is trying to get the wife to check her car's gas gauge.

Heh heh - I share your pain...

Mine, thinking she's cute, loves to switch cars with me during the week. I find it interesting that everytime I get the different car - it needs to be fueled and washed...

Ah, the joys of domestic bliss...

Gunnie
Rattler
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 512 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:52 AM UTC
guess I'll toss in My thoughts..

3 cups of coffee before day break, at least a smoke (then field striped regardless) and then when driving a pinch of snuff..I know nasty habbit.. gig line is still in effect.. doubt I'll ever stop that one..lol and eating.. umm well lets just say the Hover company has been trying to get Me to share My secret with them.. I still don't taste My food.. lol I still hold My ranger cut/shave even My boots still get polished every night.. and the running shoes get a coat as well.. I still do PT in the mornings.. and a ruck run. an whats worse.. is I keep My modeling area nice an blown up.. just like My desk was.. but I could find everything.. everyone else thought I had lost My mind.

as far as doing PMCS on the pov.. umm no comment...

anyways theres Mine....

odd as it may be...

laters

Chris