Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Describe your workarea!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:51 PM UTC
Howdy Guys,

Sorry I still haven't figured out how to post pics (besides, my new digital 'work' camera is the pits).
I have already answered this thread's query in a rather 'breathless' diatribe of mine on the thread entitled 'Model Desk'.......if anyone's interested, chek my post over there.
And, if anyone know's how (because i don't), they can 're-post' or 'transfer' that post from the Model Desk thread over to this one!

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:52 PM UTC
hey waterboy......looks like someone really likes DML/Dragon kits!

Tread.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 02:21 PM UTC
lets just put it this way,you do not know the true horror of hell until you've seen an average day at my void of doo.....I mean desk

(++) (++)
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 02:43 PM UTC
I used to have a nice work area in the old apartment. Now that I have bought a house I can't seem to find a good place for myself. The basement is huge but it is kind of damp so that would probably not be too good for my models. Right now everything is in boxes stored on the second floor of my house. That area is totally unfinished and wife had told me that I could do with it whatever I wanted to. I have got some ideas but no time or $$$ to make any of them happen right now. I guess there is always the good old tv tray...he, he...
AaronW
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 197 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 04:38 PM UTC
I used to have a pretty nice work space under the basement stairs until I was about 18 (1986) good sized bench, tube florescent light for my main light, and a swivel type work light for spot lighting, I also had several shelves for storage and it was located far enough away from the rest of the house that I could play a radio without bothering anybody no matter how late at night. I haven't had a proper space since then, perhaps why I fell out of the hobby after that.

In 2000 I built a work bench in the spare room at my old house which was starting to develop nicely but moved when I took a new job, now that bench is out on the patio so I mostly build while sitting in an overstuffed livingroom chair. It actually works better than it sounds, I set the box with the parts on the left arm, use the right arm to lay out a few tools and put my paint box at my feet. I have a small piece of wood in my paint box I use when I need something hard to cut against. Being in the livingroom I have access to the TV and am around the family so it gives me more time to model (since it kind of counts towards my family time quota ). I mainly use the bench out back for the airbrush and similar messy projects.

We're starting to house hunt again and a good work space is high on my list of things to watch for.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 04:42 PM UTC
Waterboy , lots lots lots of kits, well storage buddy. i am still trying to find out how to post my pics.i hope i ll make it today
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:38 AM UTC
The kitchen table on which i place 2 bisquit tins full off paints glues knives you name it, the garden shed contains all my masterpiecs and those still in the box awaiting my loving touch.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:50 AM UTC
To quote Treadhead

Quoted Text

Hmmmmm, the big 'modeling desk' question has arisen again!

Here's where I start to feel a wee bit guilty.
My older children have grown and moved out of the house, thereby freeing up a couple of rooms. One has been turned into a Sewing Room for my wife, and the other is now my Modeling Room.
(yea, we're an EOE household ).
Anyway the entire room is devoted to modeling pretty much. My desk (there's two, connected) is 'L' shaped. one measures approx. 8' x 2.5', and the other 7' x 3'. When put together they create an L that is 11' long by 2.5' on one side and 7' x 3' on the other. The smaller of the two desks(to my right) has an overhead portion built into it similar to a computer desk, with an all metal, fully encapsulated, flourescent 3' x 1.5' light fixture that has a three-position/4-bulb output (I can have the two outside bulbs on (higher wattage) or, the two inside bulbs on (lower wattage,) or all four bulbs on at once). This unit is mounted above the main work area in a fully hooded fashion so that I am never looking directly at the light source itself. The other table(the larger of the two) is a plain flat surface and 'free-spanned' underneath (they both are) so that I can roll my desk chair the entire length of both desks(no knee impediments). I have covered both desk tops completely with a white coated soffit material I use at work. It's a satin finish so it's not tough on the eyes and brightens up the work area just right, and is easy as heck to wipe clean. The larger desk also has two self-healing cuttin mats, one (to the far left) is a green OLFA brand mat measuring approx. 36"w x 24"t and a smaller clear bluish mat (to the near left) measuring 24"w x 18"t with grid lines on the X and Y axis as well as on the diagonal at irregular intervals. Underneath the clear blue mat is a sheet of metal. The metal is there so I can use my MicroMark jig-setting magnets on top of the clear grid and the magnets will hold the models which I have aligned along a grid line, together while the glue is setting up.
Now, between the two cutting mats (we're still on my left) is a homemade 'turntable'. This was made from two pieces of round 12" wide particle board ($1.97 at Home Depot), one metal gimble ($8.95 at H.D.), and a 12" smooth white ceramic bathroom floor tile. I use this 'contraption' for many things, not the least of which is to paint my model and simply spin the turntable a little bit to get the other angles. I have a small box (again, homemade) that I can slip underneath it to elevate the kit to whatever height is needed for better access to the 'hard to get at' parts of the model.

Along the back (to the right) of the extra deep desk (the 3' deep one) is a row of those inexpensive plastic 3 and 4 drawer parts bins you can get at Walmart for $5-$6. I keep the majority of my 'pieces/parts' in those. To the left are most of my quick reference books and magazines so they are at arms length (I think I'm going to build Verlinden's V-100 so I can have a proper, heavy bookend! ). In the middle is a small little 'bookrack' that I picked up from a sewing store (supposed to hold bobbins ) that is perfect for my Tamiya paints and such.
For in-close work lighting, I have a professional grade lighted magnifier boom light that I got from a friend who worked at Martin-Marietta. They were upgrading to newer models and he just gave me that one (couldn't do without it to be honest). It has a circular flourescent bulb and provides more than decent illumination (but obviously in the 'blue' range). To my left (on the longer desk) is an additional boom style lighted magnifier, only this one is a much, much cheaper unit, and is incandescent. Again, good illumination but this one is in the 'red' range.
Back to my right. I have a small desk style (flip up to activate) OTT-Lite. This is the light I use when trying to acertain 'true' colouring. Love it.
The majority of my modeling tools are in several small 'tackle' and compartment style boxes to my immediate right. Directly in front of me and just a little to my right (when I'm modeling) is a very nice sized Black & Decker 8" Workmate bench top vise, the kind with nice little hand cranks and holes provided for alligator clips. When I'm not using it for holding a kit for assembly, it serves as a convenient airbrush parking spot.
Lastly, behind me, are bookcases full of reference manuals, books and magazines. Interspersed amoung these (and on the top) are some of my completed model kits. This is one of my faux paux's, I don't have any of my kits 'under glass'.......my bad I guess.

Now, I must apologise for rambling on so long about my modeling desk, I didn't originally mean to get so long-winded, but...........what the hey! If this diatribe has bored you to tears, I sincerely apologise, but, if there are a few 'A' types out there who enjoyed it.?.............great!

Tread.

Oh, before I go, on the far left wall are open shelves. These contain many small (I think 2.5 quart) claer plastic containers. Within these are all of my kits in their respective stages of assembly. They are all labeled (with simple masking tape labels) with what they are and the stage they are at. And, (believe it or not) with which historic era they belong. There are presently two sets of shelves, I'm thinking about increasing that to three.
BTW, if you think I'm being a little too, too, ......well, you know, about this. I have to tell you all that our dear 'Gunnie' is at least a little to blame for it all!!!! He's the one who 'affected' me like a bloody modeling virus. After seeing, and having Gunnie share some of his modeling 'style' with me, I made some changes...............................................

Did I mention that my computer is right there as well? Complete with printer and 21" screen?
Now all I have to do is master the technique of posting pictures and I can bore you all with photographic proof of all this rubbish.

There you go!!!!!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:08 AM UTC
Howdy Matt,

You're a Gem!!!

Just checked this thread on my way out the door to work.........thx for 'dragging' it over!

Tread.

Now, if I can get a decent digital camera, I'll try to post pics.

airwarrior: Looks like a great workspace, but.........close up some of those boxes man!! #:-)

AaronW: "....had a nice work space under the stairs???? Who are you really, Harry Potter!?!

Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:26 AM UTC
Recently my folks gave me the opportunity to upgrade from my desk in my room (where I do my schoolwork, computer stuff, etc) to the basement. I know have a pretty decent sized work area on a table the size of a door (ironically enough, the table used to be a door) and it suits me much better. No more having to explain to the prof why there is a large patch of NATO Green on my paper (which actually happened once).
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:47 AM UTC
I'll have a "new" space hopefully set up before the end of the year when we move........... (I get the basement......) i've got most of it figured out already..........
simonrw
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 03:29 AM UTC
My work space is a board placed on top of the dining room table, and all my tools, airbrush, etc, are stored in the cupboard under the stairs (have to wrestle the Vacuum Cleaner Monster every time I want to get something out of there ). And strangely enough, I always seem to end up working in a space of 18" by 18" , which can be awkward with a larger aircraft :-)
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
entire network: 534 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 03:41 AM UTC
well, at least u have modelling ROOMS. My workspace is my room, where i sleep, access the computer, do homeworks and modelling. The modelling table is next to my Pc desk and it is covered by all kind of things, from models to newspapers. Anyway this spring i hope i'll redecorete my room and i will be able to have more time for modelling. I will take some pics very soon.
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 616 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 08:54 AM UTC
I'm crammed into a small Condo (one bedroom, etc.), so my modeling area consists of two areas. I have a work bench area, which is actually a computer desk that I got on sale, and a spray painting area that is stuffed into a corner by the entry stairs (needed a window near by for venting). The combination of the two areas is all I seem to need. One good advantage of living in a small area is that it helps me keep my unbuilt collection at a minimum...no storage space.

Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 10:51 AM UTC
hi Neighbor,
first of all I am so glad to see someone from that part of world in Armorama.I remember a topic about workbenchs before most of us posted or make comments about our work areas. They all were too similar and all modelers here agreed that :
A CLEAN DESKTOP IS A SIGN OF A SICK MIND. :-)
take care and be safe.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 11:07 AM UTC
well i work in my basement i have a pretty big desk i build on i have 2 lights.
its kinda cool.,
and on the other side we have a wood shop in our basement.
my dad does wood working and i been fooling around with the wood so far i build some bird houses and bird feeders,
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 03:43 PM UTC
This is my attempt to post pictures. Bear with me. Here's the house deal. My wife has control over 4900 square feet. I, on the other hand, have an entire 100 square feet that I made into my "playroom". It is a happy land where no "gurls" are allowed.

http://photos.kitmaker.net/data/500/2644DSC00195-thumb.JPG

This is where I do the hard cutting. Cabinets above and below are all around the room. The lighting is warm and cool fluorescents which give a "poor-man's" daylight. The floor is linoleum to find the little tweezer launced pieces.

http://photos.kitmaker.net/data/500/2644DSC00196-thumb.JPG

Here's my glues and pins and other sticky stuff. I feel like Jeffrey Dahmner with all kinds of body parts in the containers above. Yes, I'm having a ball.
http://photos.kitmaker.net/data/500/2644DSC00197-thumb.JPG

You're looking at all I have to show for 10 years of starting and stopping a "tri-orama" of Kelly's Heroes. Three scenes from the movie on a turntable using visable eye blocks to isolate the scenes.

http://photos.kitmaker.net/data/500/2644DSC00200-thumb.JPG

A home-made paint booth. It has a slide out sheet metal extension to make it deeper and is on all flex attachments, so I can pull it out and slide my chair under it to work. It exhausts outside.

http://photos.kitmaker.net/data/500/2644DSC00201-thumb.JPG

Extra work area. I usually do my unsuccessful casting here. I get lots of rubble from it!

http://photos.kitmaker.net/data/500/2644DSC00202-thumb.JPG

I keep my reference books here. It swivels in and I keep my longer pieces of wood behind it in shelves under the stairs (don't tell the fire marshal). I number every book and using Excel put the book number, page, topic (figures, insignia, scratchbuilding, etc.) and comments. Then, I sort by topic and print. So, when I think, "Where's that tip on making a campfire?", I just go to "scenery", then "campfire", then I get the Book and page.
As I add references, I just resort and reprint and Mr. Anal can find anything in a flash.

http://photos.kitmaker.net/data/500/2644DSC00203-thumb.JPG

The other side of the room is mostly for scenery. You see the soft cutting pad and tools. This side has about everything Woodlands Scenics makes along with spices, Durham's, Celluuclay, dried flowers and on and on. It smells good, anyway.

http://photos.kitmaker.net/data/500/2644DSC00204-thumb.JPG

More scenery work area. Now there is some track work going on for the scene in Kelly's Heroes when Donald Sutherland drives his tank out of a railroad tunnel. All scratchmade as I couldn't find anything that would fit my layout in 1/35th scale, except (thank you God) the spikes.

Did it work?

Sealhead

Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 03:45 PM UTC
Nuts,

It didn't work. Do I lose a stripe?

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 03:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Describe your workarea!

Terrible.

Seriously, what workarea? #:-)
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 04:41 PM UTC
Okay - here is my "home".... I also have another area (not shown) for my shipping and storage area for the products I sell at Scalemilitary.com..... so what you see here is my "personal" area...

Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 04:49 PM UTC
First of all i am glad that everybody has to show something different either is big or small, and i hope this posting keeps till many many of us show their workareas.with some good help i hope today my pics will be posted , i had some difficulties yesterday due to power failure all day . Also wanna say hi to my fellow neighbour "Greywolf" and i hope we keep in touch.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:17 PM UTC
Here are a few pictures of my sanctuary.

It used to be the garage of the house (part of it) and I confiscated a little area for my self :-)
The only disadvantage is that there is no insulation so it gets cold in there and a little damp

Oh, the pictures where taken ofter I cleaned the room (wifes orders ), don't go in there now, it is a mess

mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:47 PM UTC
KFMagee,
You and Roadkill are letting the SIDE DOWN THOSE WORK AREAS ARE FAR TO TIDY HOW ABOUT I COME OVER AND PAY YOU A VIST TO EVEN THE SCORE #:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 06:12 AM UTC
Well - i've done it - I've digitized the workspace