_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Describe your workarea!
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 05:05 PM UTC
i believe that in here in this site there are guys that know each other for some years, talk every day and of course others that we are newer here but with the same hunger for modelling. Wouldn't it be interesting that everyone decribe and place some pics of his work area - bench and tool box to see how everyone organises his work , get ideas, and when you pm or post to someone have an idea of where he is? i think it would be interestin, and right now i am going to get some pic of my workbench and postem. I hope more of you will follow. iam curious to see where you work ...
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 06:20 PM UTC
I've got two desks one fort building and the other one for painting and both of them are a complete mess...

The buliding desk

The painting desk
Ciao
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 06:34 PM UTC
Hi there

In a word... choas!! :-)

I wouldn't recommend anyone copies my set-up because, no matter how hard I try to keep things tidy, I'm probably the messiest and most disorganized modeller on the planet.!

All the best

Rowan
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 06:47 PM UTC
according to the Boss (she who makes the rules) it's too big. According to me it's too small. #:-)
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 06:58 PM UTC
It's a rattan coffee table painted (what used to be) gloss white. Luckily (for me) its got a smoked glass table top. As we all know, paint and glue are easier to scrape off from glass than from paint

It is also used as a dining table, study table, writing table and footstool. Being the only table in the apartment, it's a very valuable piece of real estate.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 08:43 PM UTC
2 words describe mine,
BOMB SITE!

I model in the spare room on a computer desk which I build and paint on the spare bed is full of sprues ect and the room has kits stacked in all corners hopefully my other spare room will be ready shortly as a dedicated modelling room not saying that it will be any tidier of course
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:40 PM UTC
You weren't kidding Fabio can't even find the model on their LOL
Cokes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 11:46 PM UTC
Scoccia! having been through the military I would have thought that you'd have your room up to inspection order!

Every day I have to make sure my room's pretty spotless so that if my sgt comes thru I won't get in trouble for my room not being up to standard - that usually just consists of throwing everything into tool boxes/shoe boxes and placing them out of sight.

The only desk in my room has to make do for everything - all work, study, computer, sometimes ironing, polishing... all that good stuff, and of course modelling when I get a chance

Cheers,

Cokes.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:13 AM UTC
HI. I'm kind of lucky in a way. The house we own has an extra small garage on the side of it and the man who owned the house before us was making this area into a work station for himself before he got transfered to Texas and has to put the house up for sale.

He had picked up some pressed-wood cabinets and a work bench at the neighborhood home imporvement store and had one side of the garage pretty sell set up for whatever it was that he did. (I think mainly, according ot the neighbors, drink a lot of beer.) So all I basically had to do was 'move in'. I did build a big heavy work bench on the other side of the garage for other fix-it projects around the house as well. Up towards the other end of the garage I put down two home-made sawhorses and some old plywood that I use to spray paint on. This is the end that has the garage door on it, so it's a simple matter of raising it to get enough ventilation in there. Unfortunately, the wind generally blows in from this direction, so most of the 'dust' from the paint tends just to circle back into the garage anyway. So I usually just use a face mask and leave the door down and a side window open to cut down on 'dust' movement.

Like others, this place does get kind of cluttered. But when I happen to have a part go flying off into the unknown, this is the time that I wind up giving everying a good going over, in search of the part. Usually I do find it, and also things get cleaned up to some extent as well.

Also, unfortunately, the main workbench is now cluttered up with model boxes with half-built models in them that I've either had problems with or simply 'lost the urge' to complete, for whatever reason. Or othere items that I tend to 'put-off' fixing because the boss isn't concerned about them at the moment. Ha! But this area is slowly getting some organization to it as well, as time goes along.

Only real bad thing about it is that it's not a heated area, so in the winter time my modeling activity is drastically cut down, unless I happen to move it into the kitchen table, on occasion when the boss is off someplace or other. And this cold does stop the painting altogether, unless we happen to get a fairly warm day. But such is life.

Take care, sgirty
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:26 AM UTC
Not really a need to describe my workbench you can view my work area at the attic in the house where I life.
Robert "FAUST" Blokker`s Studio

chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:30 AM UTC
I like my area. Its just the right size, and the table I work on is some old kitchen table. So its big. I am going to post a picture of it tonight on here so all of you can see where I crank out my models!

~Chip :-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:44 AM UTC
My shop is in the garage in a corner. It's a 6' long table nice and deep. It is in a corner, set away from the wall 18" because there are 6' long 18" deep shelves build into the wall. So in affect my work surface is 4' deep. At one end I have a home made AB box, at the other I have a computer paper stand that hold paint nicely. On the shelves I've got various "Nuts and Bolts" boxes to store all the 'stuff' we use.
I've got an old TV stand forming an L on the table and it provides more work surface and storage.
Lots of lights, one big overhead in the garage, one overhead on my table and three lamps on flex arms.

Of course - its about 10' from the fridge where I keep the
The thing I am missing is a CAT5 network line to add a PC so I can research and build at the same time - I guess that's OK though because I'd never leave the garage.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:55 AM UTC
Mine is quite well arranged. I have my computer here in the corner of my room. Move the keyboard away and put in the newspaper, you got a brush painting area. Put in the self-healing cutting mat, you got the cutting area. On my balcony, there is a coffee table. Cover it with a newspaper and you got a spray painting/ AB area. All my tools, supplies are in my toolbox.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 02:44 AM UTC
I have the spare bedroom converted into my hobby room. http://community.webshots.com/album/80652042HDNISV
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 04:27 AM UTC
Here is one of the great paradoxes of home ownership. My wife and I have spent most of the summer converting our garage into living space, and remodeling the kitchen and dining room. So now even though we have about 25% more living area than before I have LESS space for modeling. Figure that one out. I have a odd table, about sixe feet long but only 18 inches wide, in our bedroom. My usually routine is to put all my kits in progress into small totes which I stack under the table. Every sunday morning, my usual modeling time, I take out whatever I'm going to work on that day and pile things on the bed. My airbrush area is the old kitchen cabinet in the back yard.

Once we ever fully recover from this remodel the plan is to make a large shed in the back yard for my wife's stained glass and my models. That will be our spot until the kids move out. What I'm REALLY looking forward to is taking ove one daughters room, when she's gone of course, and making it my hobby room/library/study. BLISS.

mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 04:30 AM UTC
1/2 yank why not just move your daughter into the shed and take her room anyway #:-)
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Scoccia! having been through the military I would have thought that you'd have your room up to inspection order!

At the Officer's School on the first year I've collected 147 days of "punishment" (without the possibility to go out)!!!
Ciao
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 07:43 AM UTC
i have an old inherited (from my sister) dressing table lined with paper,in a corner of the spare room,on the wall where its against ive put six inch tall by the length of the desk strips of plywood to protect the wall(its only been decorated a couple of months). this area is backed up by shelving and storage units.one essential that will keep wives, girlfriends and mums happy is a large offcut of carpet in front of this desk to protect the floor. one point, is that judging by the first pics in this subject is that no matter how big your desk you end up working a on six by six inch area, with the rest covered with stuff you can,t do without! i know mine is
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 679 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

In a word... choas!!

I wouldn't recommend anyone copies my set-up because, no matter how hard I try to keep things tidy, I'm probably the messiest and most disorganized modeller on the planet.!

All the best

Rowan

i'll second that!!!!!!!!!!
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 08:58 AM UTC
I am very lucky. I have almost the entire basement for building, painting and displaying models. Half of this area is my work shop with table saw, drill press, lathe, router table, disc sander and grinder. I have two work benches (and shelves) in two locations along three walls of a total length of over 30'. One bench area has my spray booth which is vented permanently through the wall to the outside world. My main building bench is in front of a double set of windows which adds plenty of light and ventilation. I am slowly building book shelves and display shelves in what I refer to as the rec room. Now I just need to find more time to get down there and build. Spend waty too much time and money looking for more kits! Oh, well.
whiterook
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 263 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:32 AM UTC
Major-goose:
My wife is great, she lets me use her dinning room table till we move into a bigger place.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:38 AM UTC
Hi again

Just to prove my point...

I know you'll accuse me of cheating... but I promise I didn't tidy up before taking the pics!

All the best

Rowan
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:56 AM UTC
Hi all, My area is tucked away in my basement . Special note! In the few months Ive gotten back into this wonderful hobbie, My pile of kits just seems to keep growing!

waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:36 AM UTC
Hi Guys, I'm pretty lucky, my basement is half finished and half unfinished and i get the unfinished side.
Main work station

Another work area and model storage

model storage and large work area

Another view of same room

And finally the break area

I love my basement #:-)
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:42 AM UTC
Merlin, I can beat that...Try a 1.5'x2' desk...
 _GOTOTOP