_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Models. What do you do with them?
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 03:58 AM UTC
Hi Folks, I would think that all of you out there have faced this particular problem at one time or another. Where the heck (!) do we put them once they're done (for the time being anyway)? I have a couple of small shelves in my bedroom where I have about a dozen different tank and truck models sitting out in the open, gathering dust-which I carefully blow off every now and then. And about 3 of them at the moment have a part two broken off because I didn't pick them up just the wrong way and bingo. You know what I mean here, I'm sure.

I also have a couple up in cupboards out in the garage. Safe, but not seen. The last three I've built I've put on a wooden plaque-type of base so at least when I go to handle one I don't have the problem of possibly knocking something off. This shows that at least my mind does occasionally work and advance a bit here and there. Ha, ha!

Now, I've just basically finished the Dragon Karl mortor kit and after showing it to my wife, she said to me: "That's nice (and gave me that eye-roll routine I know we are all familiar with!), "now where in the^&(*% are you going to put it!

The only solution at the moment for me is to clear off a shelf in the closet in the spare bedroom and put it in there, once again, safe, but unseen.

What solutions have you folks come up with? As I know that many of you have more models built and in boxes than I do, you all have to have some helpful suggestions. Or maybe there really isn't any. Just something we all have to live with.

Take care and thanks. sgirty
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 04:27 AM UTC
the so lution I came up with was glass front cabinets from Ikea. You can get glass shelves which will allow light through. you might want to raise stuff on the bottom shelf as it gets partialy hidden by thte lower part of the door. I hjave them mounted over my desk in my office at home. other option include similar free standing "book cases" with glass doors. the doors are important for keeping both dust and little 4yr old grubby hands off you cool looking "toys"

Joshua weingaren Aka shiryon
Siggi
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 90 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 04:44 AM UTC
I shoot mine. #:-)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 05:27 AM UTC
Well,the newest and favorites are on shelves in my modelmaking room.As something new gets built,an older vehicle will be lovingly dusted,and put in a clear Imex case,and brought down to my cellar.
I spent too much time and money to uncerimoniously destroy them.
HOWEVER
Since there are newer and more accurate Hummels and Nashorns coming out,when the better one is built,the old rotten version does recieve the circular file.....
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 05:41 AM UTC
I also don't have much room for my models but what I do is utilize every spare inch of a couple of walls in my office. I hang shelves any place I can find and place my models on them. Some day when I have more room (yeah right #:-) ) I will have built-in cabinets with glass doors and display my models there. Until then it is shelves for me.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC
Perhaps some of the gourmets amongst us will oblige with a series of recipes for using up those left-over models? #:-)
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 05:45 AM UTC
you could all send them to me and let me display them #:-)
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 08:11 AM UTC
I leave them in the box as I never finish them anyway! #:-)
TimberWolf
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 225 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 08:17 AM UTC
I cram all mine onto any flat surface in my room #:-)
And maby a new one in the living room for a few weeks before It gets kicked out.
If you got to many, you can always donate one to the local musiem(sp) :-)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 08:27 AM UTC
Nice one Siggi!

My trouble is I'd actually have to finish a kit to decided whether to display or shoot it!!

I've got a pile of kits on my Shelf Of Shame - non of them finished, but in full view just to torment me...

Hopefully Armorama will cure me of this awful habit. I've only been on board for about a month and I've just finished my first kit in ages... joining a campaign has been the best incentive to actually finish something!

Maybe I'll have to make a trip to IKEA one day...

Cheers everyone

Rowan
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 08:58 AM UTC
Well the ones not built are easy, they are stored in packing boxes in the basement or in a closet in my workroom. The ones that are finished( I actually do finish one or two on occasion) are on shelves or in a clear plastic box if it was done well enough to take to a show. The problems of money and space have not allowed me to set up glass cabinets. ( Hopefully, that will be changed in the near future.)
capnjock
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 09:06 AM UTC
I have an inexpensive 5 shelve set in my work shop thats where the older ones go. The newer or more delicate ones get to go on a desk/shelf/wall shelf or cabinet through out the house.

The biggest deal for me building diorama is planning space vs size. That's a bigger challenge. I will get more shelves and have come up with the idea of small shelves over the doors of closets to use that narrow space that usually goes wasted.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 09:10 AM UTC
I stock them in Display Cases and then in the shelf. Here I put a link were you can see them:

http://groups.msn.com/armorama/csch.msnw

Hope this helps.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

had planned to be generous and pass them on to a charity shop round the corner but as they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

just like the time I intended to give back my dad's x-acto.........it's right beside me.....
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 09:25 AM UTC
I take mine down to the local hobby shop, and let them be their problem!

They put them on a shelf way up so nbody can touch them.

~Chip :-)
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 12:05 PM UTC
I bought an old wooden cabinet with glass doors at a junk shop. I have one shelf left. Then it's back to the junk shop.
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 12:11 PM UTC
I too store mine in Imex cases. They fit just about every kit I build and, at 11 or 12 dollars the investment of time and money I put into a kit is worth it. I have started to wonder what I'm going to do with the Leopold I intend to build. LOL I think I'm going to have to try my hand at building a case for it.

#:-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 12:48 PM UTC
I recently bought the high "billy bookcase" and glass doors from IKEA. Holds all my models to date and i can always buy an extra shelf or two when needed. It cost around 1400sek..... about $140 dollars or £100. Just the price of a kit and aftermarket items. I love that they are all displayed in my living room where all can see them, no dust gets at them and my 2 year old daughter cant touch them. Well worth the money in my eyes. Maybe if I was modelling for longerId say it was a problem to store them, but for now I just enjoy my work!!
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 01:03 PM UTC
I used to display mine on a glass shelves, but I know I´ll run out of shelves in a short time, so I´m managing to construct a wall glass shelf, so I´ll got space for a long modeling time.
And, if you all got some spare or rejected models, please send it to me! :-)

Cheers (++)
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 06:35 PM UTC
I'm with shiryon, I keep on going buying BILLYs from Ikea...
Ciao

PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 01:59 AM UTC
Believe it or not, there is a huge market for built kits. I have sold several finished models and dioramas on Ebay. Just go over to Ebay and search "1/35 built". You will be amazed at what people will pay for your kits. I took a few kits to work, had a friend there take the photos of them. After I sold them, I bought my own digital camera. It's easy math, empty shelves=spending money.

Patrick
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 02:12 AM UTC
I just keep on buying them and finish them one by one. Currently, My new kits "stand" on other kits. My Raptor is now ontop my Nighthawk. Thought of buying another glass shelf (I have 2 which the models are compressed) but don't know where to place 'em.
Torque
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 83 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 02:53 AM UTC
I think donating them to friends or museums might be a good solution.

Having moved several times and after four kids, my problem is keeping the ones I've built intact.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 03:14 AM UTC
I donate the finished models to a Museum. Some of the models I build are for customers.
 _GOTOTOP