_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Models. What do you do with them?
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 06:46 AM UTC
The latest creation is allowed on HER crystal cabinet till SHE gets fed up with it then they go down to MY garden shed my sherman is now crewed by a garden spider and four earwigs, at least they dont break them, well unless they take on the TigerI which is crewed by five heavily armoured wood lice ,I think its time for another pill, bye all.
stressor
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 06:31 PM UTC
as of the moment I still keep on buying and building 'coz I still got a big space for it. My sisters room!!! She just migrated to England so I got her room as storage space for my kits and models
bf443
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 895 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 07:55 PM UTC
What a tough question. I ran out of space awhile ago (20 aircraft & 6 armor on shelves) I have two tanks and two aircraft on a bench unfinished. Plus I have part of the garage filed with unbuilt kits (addiction in itself). I am now remodeling my house and I don't know how its going to work out (my wife is into that Stamping Up stuff). I have given serious thought to building a 20' X 20' shop just for me so I can build and display. #:-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:47 AM UTC
Hey Larry.

I finally persuaded my wife to give up on 5-foot shelf, and the tops of two bookcases. I did this by agreeing to make her a quilt rack. Anyway this should do me for a while, given my low output. I also just noticed that I’m an equal opportunity modeler. I’ve got one tank, one ship, one plane, and one diorama with figures.

I have already told both my daughters that it's "18 and out" for them. (Just kidding but it does tell them I'm not going to let them live with us forever.) I already am planning on how I'm going to convert one of the rooms to my modeling studio/den. One room has a 5-foot wide closest that I will put my modeling desk in. The rest of the room I plan to line with shelves and build glass display cases for. Of course I'll have to have a leather couch in the room for when I need to sleep...uh think.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:26 AM UTC
i put them on display for a while,
then i willl store them or give them away
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 06:17 AM UTC
I too build for the enjoyment and have problems finding a place for my finished projects. I "display" them where I can, and give some to friends if they see one they really like. My wife and I have an understanding "if I put them on display, I'm responsible for dusting them." I have them on shelves, bookcases, desks, lots of places. I get in more trouble about storing the ones I haven't built yet. I'm a builder not a collector and still have hundreds in my stockpile. Where there is a will there is a way, if you like where they are that is where they belong.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 06:28 AM UTC
You could always donate them to a museum. Then there's the local Legion or VFW post, or even the VA hospital.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:34 PM UTC
i have over 185 completed and painted kits, so naturally i ran outta space a while ago all of my shelves in my room are covered, a few on the floor, some on my window sill, and all over the place, but im building more shelves soon, cheers
tigermeet
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 11:58 AM UTC
Hi, I'm George Creed from the Pasadena Modelers Society and I know the feeling of where do you put the new model and the wife giving you the look. But I figure if your in for an once, your in for a pound. Years ago my father no less brought me a beautiful wood and glass case which I stored in the garage of our townhouse where the workshop was for display of built models. I hate throwing out models, no matter how bad or good they are! When we brought a home almost eleven years ago I took over one half of the garage and found threw a friend an eight foot long glass store display case. I hit the big time! That got filled up over time. Then a Hobby Shop here in the Pasadena area went out of business and - well he had these cases - and we had pick up trucks available - and to make a long story short I got two my friend got one and now I've got three glass store display cases taking up the garage along with the original wooden case and about 102 of my own models and about twenty from friends who needed storage space or moved. My very own fully loaded hobby shop!
It's the route to go, so have an understanding wife and look for the real mccoy - store glass display cases, they are not that expensive.
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 01:58 AM UTC
That's a good thing about being single. I can put them all over the living room. I have a pair of china cabinets, filled with models, as well as plastic display cases on my bookshelves. I also build 1/72 scale, so I can fit more models into less space. I also used to have an old glass stereo case with models in it. Another option is to take a book case, and fit a glass or plastic door to the front of it.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 10:32 AM UTC
Just thew my last daughter out. Naw.....she bought her own place. So I converted her bedroom into an office come workshop. I started converting it the day she left. I was laying a wooden floor when she came around for some stuff she had left. I think I might have just been a bit too eager! Anyway........all the nice shelves I built are now full............already...so when I finish one.........IF it's good enough it replaces the worst one I can find which then goes into a big box in the attic. I have though about moving into my daughter's house and starting again, but when I suggested it I'm sure I detected slight lack of enthusiasm?

Vinnie
 _GOTOTOP