_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How did everybody start modeling?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 03:46 AM UTC
I'm wondering how everyone start modeling? I started when I was 9. My first kit was a 1/100 HG Master Gundam. Since then, I've been collecting Gundam kits. The first time I tried to use paint was because of the different scheme of a Gundam model on the box. The box pic and the mold are different. I painted it. Since then, I learned to cut with knives, shave the sprues, sand the model and use putty. About 1-2 years ago, I started using painting with the right tools. Spray cans, enamels. After quite a while, I use an airbrush. Now I'm building military ACs and I'll finish my very first AFV, the SCUD. Want to hear from you guys!
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 04:43 AM UTC
Got my first model when I was about 6. All I can remember that it was a Boeing 707 and that my father did most of the work and it was still covered in glue when finished. That was over 35 years ago, and with a break in my 20's and 30's, I just restarted about a year ago building armour and the odd other.
Siggi
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 90 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 04:50 AM UTC
A 1/72nd Hurricane in 1965 when I was five years old. I painted it bright blue. #:-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 05:11 AM UTC
The first kit I remember was a P-39 my father and I built somewhere around 1955. Then any number of kits with my grandfather. Quickly wen t solo with a Revell 1957 Ford Country Squire Station wagon and Renwal's USS(N) George Washington. This was followed by massive quatities of plastics for the next 12 years. About 1975, I found a bag with an AH-1 and a Helldiver kit in it. Like a junky taking that '"just this once" hit, I was back in and had a jones for plastic ever since. :-)
GhengisWong
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 74 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 05:18 AM UTC
First model was an old Apollo Moon Landing diorama from the 70's. Must have been about 6 years old.

Anyone remember the old Testor's (Or was it Revell) Modelling Club? Late 70's early 80's, they sent you a small model kit once a month if you didn't return the mailing card, like those Columbia Record deals...

What got me hooked was a birthday B-17 model with the insert flyer of Shep Paine's diorama of the same kit. That pamphlet was inspiring.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone remember the old Testor's (Or was it Revell) Modelling Club? Late 70's early 80's, they sent you a small model kit once a month if you didn't return the mailing card, like those Columbia Record deals....

Revell had this club going in the mid 60's. Testors got one going, without the automatic shipments in the late 80's. This one gave you the option of buying limited edition kits periodically.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 05:23 AM UTC
Can't really remember how I got started, all that I do recall is that I loved to be around the real army stuff as a kid with my dad. Proud to say that I am a 'lifer brat'.

It probably started as soon as I realized that I'd never be able to take the real stuff home.
tpaxatb
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 7 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone remember the old Testor's (Or was it Revell) Modelling Club? Late 70's early 80's, they sent you a small model kit once a month if you didn't return the mailing card, like those Columbia Record deals...

I remember a club in the '80 or '81 that I joined when I was about 6 (well, my mom joined it for me). I think it was Monogram, but heck that was 22 years ago lol. Anyway, my first kit was a teensy snap-tite Space Shuttle Columbia (it had just made its maiden voyage into space). Then I built a snap-tite F-16. I built off and on for a while, and got pretty good in college, but have been out of it for the past 8 years or so. I'm starting up again...waiting anxiously for my M1A1 to arrive from squadron lol.

Drink and be happy today
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 05:37 AM UTC
My first kit was the Airfix HMS Daring (1:600 scale) in 1969 when i was 8 and i've been gluing bits of plastic ever since.I'm just trying to get my 9 (nearly10) yr old nephew into the hobby.
Happy modelling
Peter
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:02 AM UTC
I was 7 or 8 - in the 70s. My first model was a Star Trek Klingon Battle Cruiser- painted in multi-color camoflage (red, yellow, green, brown, purple )
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:12 AM UTC
Airfix Stuka in a plastic bag never could join those wings together properly then my dad helped me with a Lancaster, the tale goes on from there.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:12 AM UTC
My first kit was 1/600 airfix HMS Cossack. It was in the late 60s and I've been hooked since. Because my dad flew with the RAF in the war I was "encouraged" to build aircraft. I've built kits ever since apart from a couple of breaks, and even then I would buy the odd modelling mag to see the latest kits.
Marty
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:16 AM UTC
I started out with 1:72 scale airplanes. Unfortunately they all ended up as large masses of plastic goo as I liked to see them burn. I was so young and creazy...
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:24 AM UTC
Did a few various, odd kits from age 9-14. A couple of cars, a P-51, but wasn't "into" it.
About 6 years ago (after joining the Air Force and while in tech school in Texas) I discovered a hobby shop, bought and built a Mig-29, Memphis Belle, and a couple of Rotary wing AC, still wasn't into it and went on hiatus for a bit. In '98 discovered Rally Racing and 1/24 Tamiya Rally Cars...Saw a FSM with a Sherman on the cover and thought "I need to give this armor thing a try". Been hooked ever since.
NoMercy
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 111 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:36 AM UTC
My first was a Monogram Sherman ... I have been hooked ever since!!
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:54 AM UTC
My brother built an old Huey (1/48 unknown manufacturer) and Mirage III (1/72, also mfg unknown) and he wouldn't let me touch them, so I got my own. First kit was a Monogram Snap-Tite 69 Corvette, first glue-together was the Testors 1/72 SBD Dauntless (It is still a rare hobby shop that doesn't still have one of these in stock). Been building ever since, with a momentary hiatus. WWII planes in grade school, Muscle cars in high school, more modern jets in college, and now I build about anything that strikes my fancy.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
My parents bought me a red little hot rod hot dog truck called "The Wurst" by Aurora. I've since picked one up on Ebay. I then started building those prehistoric dinosaurs and movie monsters by Aurora and was a member of the Young Model Builders club where we were mailed Aurora kits in little cardboard boxes with a sticker of the box art or photo of the assembled kit on the white mailer box. I remember getting quite a few Aurora kits this way and also building Lindberg, Monogram and Revell kits.

My first tank kits were the Aurora MBT70 and Monogram M48 Patton.
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 08:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep. I was a member of Testors club. As a matter of fact they still had a club like that last year. It was a little better laid out system it looked like. It seems to be gone now, though.

My first kit was a 1977 Chevette. Me and my dad built it to look like my mom's 1:1 Chevette. After that it was a '69 Corvette that we brush painted Silver.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 08:30 AM UTC
The Testors Club?! Yup! I remember it fondly.
Although I had built some 1/72 airplanes prior to mom joining the Testors club for me. I think the first model from them was the Apollo Lunar Lander.
My biggest influence was from my older brothers as they used to build those funny monster cars.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 09:11 AM UTC
Growing up, us kids always got a little present every Easter along with the Easter Basket. When I was five years old, I got a Smokey the Bear Teddy Bear from Grandma and two model kits from Mom. That was a good year! Smokey is still with me today, sitting guard on my workbench - almost 35 years old now. He's a Rare Bear - no, not the air racer either .

The models were the 72nd scale AT-6 and one of those great Johan model cars. I began modeling that Sunday - and never stopped...

Gunnie
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 106 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 10:15 AM UTC
I think the first model I got was in about first or second grade (7 or 8 years old). It was a school fundraiser however much chocolate (or magazines, or some other junk) you sold, you got points and got to pick from a magazine. I picked a 1/72 F-15. Got kits as gifts after that and built them out of the box, but it wasn't until seeing an AT-AT model about 10 years ago that I started building "for real." Since then though, I've moved into armor, AC and anything else.
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 11:47 AM UTC
I really don't remember the kit. Probably some type of plane. I am almost positive it met with the same fate as all of my early kits. A mysterious fire followed by several explosions (firecrackers)

Come on now be honest. I know you did it too.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 08:10 PM UTC
My uncle builded radiocontrolled trucks. When on holiday there, I went to the modelshop with him. There I saw the kit of the Mayflower. Whenmy parents came over to pick me up, they bought it for me. And my dad and I started to build it. A few years later I got the Tamiya Harley + MP kit for my birthday. I was hooked....

andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 09:28 PM UTC
hi guys
I was 6 when i got my first kit i was a german air force Mig-29 i still have it today.
 _GOTOTOP