_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How did everybody start modeling?
waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:54 AM UTC
Late 60's 1/48 scale P-38 from Aurora fom the TV show 12 o'clock high

http://groups.msn.com/BOXART/auroraaviones12oclockhigh.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=21556
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 03:58 AM UTC
My first foray into modeling was so long ago, I don't remember the first kit. It was in the late 60's and modeling was very popular amongst my friends. I do remember building early Tamiya tank kits in the early 70's and the motorized Tiger I crawling across the floor! Gradually lost interest in it as other activities took up my time and resources. About three years ago I started playing a computer game called Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord and when the maker, Battlefront.com started work on the second game in the series, Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin, (both are excellent games if you are into that type of thing) they asked modelers that participated on their forum to send pictures of their models that could be used as the various AFV's in the game. That little contest re-awakened my interest, plus the arrival of my son (now 2 and 1/2) kept me pretty close to home and I needed a quiet hobby for those evenings at home. Thus my re-entry into modeling.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:56 AM UTC
When I was a kid I was in a toy store and saw a model of a 1968 Pontiac GTO (Monogram I think) that I decided I wanted to own. After that I built a few more car kits and stopped. In high school I decided to try again, but decided that miltary kits were more my speed to I built a few 1/48 jets and a Cobra helicopter. Then a few years later while in my junior year of college I saw an add at the back of World War II magazine for a mail order model shop advertising tanks (which were always my first love). It interested me so I called the guy and bought all of the supplies that I needed and a Matchbox 1/76 scale T-34/76. I enjoyed it so much that I bought about 50 more 1/76 and 1/72 kits from Matchbox, Hasegawa, Airfix, and even a couple 1/76 resin kits. I eventually got to go into a hobby shop and saw the 1/35 kits and decided those were what I wanted to do. I bought a couple (first one I built was the Tamiya Type 97 Chi-Ha) and have been hooked ever since (7 years).
1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:36 AM UTC
I got started back in 1957, back then it was mostly dealing with wooden models.
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 607 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:05 PM UTC
my first model was a monogram model t -bucket i was about 6 or 7 . i didnt know about real model glue so i used elmers bet i re-built that kit a dozen times my 2nd kit was the glow in the dark god-zilla from aurora then i found out about super glue !!!! think my first tank was the monogram 1/48 snap tite m-48. aahhh the good old days !!
 _GOTOTOP