Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How did everybody start modeling?
RobH
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hi

I was about 8, and it was the airfix 1:72 SAM 2 missile.
The bug really bit at the age of 10 and saw the 1978 Tamiya catalogue in my local model shop, and the work of a gentleman called Francois Verlinden (coupled with the release of StarWars at the same stage). They were models! My thought was there's more to this than slapping paint on a piece of plastic!
By the way, My local model shop was called Hannants, just a high street shop then.

Rob
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 05:49 AM UTC
I was about 9 or ten all though my dad build some for me i used to cut the parts off with a kitchen knife and wonder why the parts broke or didnt fit I built a few of the matchbox 1/72 dio's a few times the lrdg one with the jeep and chevy got back into it in 2000 #:-)
19Delta
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 101 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 06:08 AM UTC
well i started really young..like 2. My dad built tons of models, cars and planes mainly. he's get them all airbrushed and weathered, all of that stuff then sell them for a nice price. well he started teaching me how to build them and all that stuff, good ol' snap tite. then I progressed to where I am now.
tpaxatb
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 7 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I started out with 1:72 scale airplanes. Unfortunately they all ended up as large masses of plastic goo as I liked to see them burn. I was so young and creazy...

Sounds like what happened to my GI Joes.....the M-80s were the bombs and the flamethrower dude always survived the battles lol
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 07:20 AM UTC
My first kit when I was about 10 was the Pt 109, can't remember who made it, then a mig 21. Never painted each. Set them on my dresser and they got demolished. Never build again till this year when my father wanted a universal carrier, so I bought him one for his B-Day and thought I am going to try to really do this right with paint and all. The addiction began.

Hasty
:-)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 07:46 AM UTC
Hi all!

My first kits were 1/72 Airfix Spitfire IX and Bf 109G, bought at Woolworths for about 2 shillings each - showing my age here!!

I must have been about 5 years old and my parents wouldn't let me paint them - far too risky!
The kits sat there, finished in their pale blue plastic for months while I nagged... finally my parents relented and let me buy a pot of Humbrol "Khaki" - because "all planes are khaki". So I painted them both the same colour (of course, the decals were already on), with enough paint to drown in!

After that, the bug bit, and it was a new Airfix or Revell kit every Saturday morning - ready for battle the next day, as my friend and I ran around the garden re-fighting WW2.

All the best

Rowan
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 09:46 AM UTC
Got into modelling kind of by accident!

I was in Japan setting up a branch office for a tooling company. The wife decided she needed to go bowling,so off we went with our two daughters (aged 5 and 6) to a bowling megaplex near Tokyo Tower.

The first floor was a shopping arcade which included a toy store, which my two daughters proceeded to drag me into. While the girls were happily going thru the toys, I noticed a stack of Tamiya model boxes and spotted the old Jagdtiger, which by my skimpy refs at the time said only 48 were built. I think I paid about a $1.50 for it.

That started me off with models at the tender age of 27. This occured in 1971.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 05:43 PM UTC
My dad used to build model planes in the 50's he'ld hang them from my ceiling. When I was 7 he was building me an Aurora M-46 Patton. I got impatient so I climbed up on the china cabinet and brought it down and finished it. MOdels were for playing with. But after that , I was on my own. I think the first kit I ever put paint onwas a yellow Japanese Zero (Aurora). I think I painted the nose red. I began painting in earnest after I got the Visible Man kit
mrs_selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 225 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 08:55 AM UTC
I started modeling when the armorama group build started here on this website, on June 21st 2003. I am 44 years old and Selrach, my husband, has been putting together models of all types since he was a kid. He wanted me to try it out, and when Armorama came up with the Barberossa Campaign build, I decided to try it out. Am thoroughly enjoying it, my first model being (and in progress at this time) the sdkfz 222 Leichter Panzerspahwagen by Tamiya, 1/35th scale. I think the only thing I find a pain in the neck is working with the tiny itty bitty parts. They are a headache, but its well worth the pain when I see that I can actually do it. We've finished the lower hull drive train and am starting on the gun now. Two weeks ago I bought a BF109 plane, and today, I am happy to say.. I have bought Revell's Fokker Dr. I Manfred von Richthofen (Red Baron's) plane, which comes with von Richthofen himself (two.. one from August 1917 and one from April 1918 when he was shot down) and two ground crew. So I think I'm hooked on models.

lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 02:54 PM UTC
I have always had a passion for the military (im signed up for the infantry) but as a little kid i was into those little plastic army men, and when i was 4 my dad bought me a revell 1/72 sherman starter kit that came with a few paints, he did most of it but thats what got me started, cheers
mavrick1124
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 03:26 PM UTC
I believe I was about 8 years old. My dad built the U.S.S. Independence for me. After that, the hook was set. Some 36 years later, I'm still at it. "I love the smell of glue and paint in the mornings-----smells like --Victory"
uscusn
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 86 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 05:05 PM UTC
I was about 8 yrs old. It was the MPC Monkees Mobile I got for my birthday. And for awhile it was just cars back then. Every year MPC and AMT would release the new car kits like the US manufactures did here, 68 Vette, Roadrunners, Chevelles, Mustangs, etc. Revell made an interesting series of 50 Chevy's 53-57 with opening doors etc, (57 Nomad was my favorite). Built those Monogram carriers, those mult functioning Navy aircraft from them as well. Car kits were 2.00 at the time (circa 1968). Planes were less, bought my first Tamiya kit, Willy Jeep around 1972, it was 7.00. And I felt gipped (cheated, American slang) when I saw how small it was compared to a 1/25 scale Hogan's Hero's jeep from MPC which cost only about 2.50 at the time. But I discovered armor, polly S acrylics and Humbrol enamel tinlets. Then high school came along, girls, college, girls, Navy, girls, career, girls, wife, family no more girls,ho well!. Bought some kits here there, and started again with an Fujimi A-7E, and went from there with aviation modeling. Up to the present day.

Fly Navy!
Bren
Visit this Community
Cape Province, South Africa
entire network: 381 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 08:05 PM UTC
I was in grade 2 and had just seen the movie Memphis Belle, and saw a b-17G kit in the shop and bought it. a b-17g is not the best starting plane in the world, I still have it, complete with spiderwebs in the waist gun portals, and a web connecting the tail and the antenae!
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 09:58 PM UTC
Hello,shonen_red. Like everybody else, I picked up modelling when I was a young kid....(ages ago!!). My first model was the Monogram Sherman with hedge-cutter on 1:32nd scale.
I've tried some aircraft models as well, but that was not my cup of tea!
I must say I'm much more serious now, than I was than.
For me it's the best hobby there is,

All the best, John.
Torque
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 83 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 02:40 PM UTC
I can't even rember what my first kit was ( perhaps a 1960's F1 racer ). My dad got me interested when I was about 6-7 yrs old. I have mostly built military planes, tanks, ships.
stressor
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 44 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 05:58 PM UTC
started 4-5 years ago. first kit was F5
penkala
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 214 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 06:26 PM UTC
started 5 years ago and i made an spifire, isn't it funny that most first kit are planes!
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 02:57 AM UTC
First kit for me was Snoopy's Sopwith Camel, followed by his buggatti. My Dad was a big Peanuts fan back then. My first glue kit was Dyno Don's Pro Stocker a few years later.
Sarge59
Visit this Community
Nord, France
entire network: 95 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:12 AM UTC
I started when I was 9. My first kit was a car (can't remember wich one) made by airfix, my family offered me for my birthday.
I built a few planes in 1/72 when i was a teen.
And now i build 1/35 WWII kits
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:33 AM UTC
My big brother built the Tamiya 1/25th scale T 34 when I was in third grade. I saw how cool it was and that got me started. Don't remember what my first kit was but I do remember building all of the Monogram armor kits with those killer Shep Paine inserts.

Shaun
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 693 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:42 AM UTC
My father buys my first model in January 6, 1968. It was a B-24 of Revell. He made models of ships and airplanes with wood.He assembles the model that same night. So many years later and still memory perfectly the scene. I had 10 years
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:22 AM UTC
well my oldre brother use to build cars,,,
i use to watch him....
then i started to build cars.
then i got it to the planes and the tanks and the miltary plus with me being a world war 2 buff i like to build and i allways relate my models to history
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:49 AM UTC
My first model, I can remember, was a Monogram Vought F7U Cutlass Replica scale(1955). I too started at about the age of 9, so it didn't get painted. I really loved the lines of the thing though. Seached for years to find another, couple back I found a Hasagawa 1/72 version and have it stored away until I feel I can do it justice. Have always been a history buff, so modeling gave me a chance to relive some events I missed. Now I build aircraft, amor and ships. First ship Lindberg U.S.S. United States (1958), first armor Monogram JagdPanther (1980). As I've said in other posts, I've been at it for a while, not that I'm any good at it I just love to build the things. #:-)
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 02:55 PM UTC
It was so long ago I forgot how I got started..............So I figured I was born with a hobby knife in one hand and a brush in the other #:-)

Vince

"what was is was and what is is is and what is is whats happening right now"
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:36 AM UTC
I started when I was 8. My parents got me a c??/ starlifter air thingie loved using my matchbox as airfild vehicles. then got hooked on armour . they never new what that little plane would do to me :-) :-)

Josh WEingarten Aka shiryon