_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Unfinished kits
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 01:18 PM UTC
Hi, I was looking at my work area and realised that I have five different builds in progress and as each one gets nearer towards completion it gets pushed aside to do work on the less advanced kit. The kits in progress are a 1/35 diorama of 88mm German AT gun, 1/48 spitfire Mk5b, 1/16 German general figure, 1/35 Panther ausf A, and 1/35 British 17 pounder AT gun (which is more likely to see the garbage can than completion) On top of this I have Tamiya 1/48 spitfire and figures waiting to start for the Battle for Britain campaign.
Just wondered if anybody else has "Inability to finish a kit" syndrome
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 01:27 PM UTC
I believe I have 8 kits under construction. The longest is the AFV M88, about 1 1/2 yrs. And it has a long way to go. I have an Airfix Ambulance waiting for decals. I have an M5 recce conversion stalled. I have several models waiting for the finishing touches such as stowage and weathering.
I figure as long as I'm having fun.....
Chuck
Howitzer
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 232 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 01:29 PM UTC
Me I have a Tamiya's Hanomag, German Pak, U.S. motor team, German machine gun crew, and U.S. Infantry.
Howitzer
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 232 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 01:29 PM UTC
Me,I have a Tamiya's Hanomag, German Pak, U.S. motor team, German machine gun crew, and U.S. Infantry.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 01:51 PM UTC
Yep, probably around a hundred unfinished/started kits. At what point does a "started" kit become an "unfinished" kit?
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 02:02 PM UTC
I'd say it becomes "unfinished" when you start the next project and push it to the side..... :-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 03:55 PM UTC
I've got a 48th FW190D, 35th M-3 Stuart, 35th M151 MUTT, and working on the 1:350 scale 'zona for the ship build...oops and a 72nd Vosper, but that was started 5 years ago and then there is my long standing German retreat from Czechoslavakia dio that's about 95% done
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 05:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

At what point does a "started" kit become an "unfinished" kit?

When you trade it?

Don't let my wife see this post -- she'll tell you I never finish anything.

Seriously (not), I have about five on the bench and about 15 in "storage," meaning they are started, but something held me up and I have since lost interest in them. Most of these kits are German subjects, which I frankly don't care much about anymore.

Truth is that I enjoy the build much more than the finish.
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 09:53 PM UTC
Hi!

I have 2 kits undone, Warrior's Gladiator, Verlinden's SAS figure. That maybe seems like quite a little, but I have only finished one kit in these years... :-)
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 10:08 PM UTC
In the pipeline I've got:
- n.1 L6
- n.2 VCC1 (M113 Variation)
- n.1 Leopard 1A2
- n.1 M47 Patton
- n.1 M5A1 Stuart
- n.1 Humber MkII
- n.1 M26 Deagon Wagon

ooopsss!!!

I was going to forget an MLRS

It's quite shocking, before reading this post I thought I only had one or two...
Ciao
RIMA
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
entire network: 285 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 10:36 PM UTC
When you trade it?

Don't let my wife see this post -- she'll tell you I never finish anything.

Seriously (not), I have about five on the bench and about 15 in "storage," meaning they are started, but something held me up and I have since lost interest in them. Most of these kits are German subjects, which I frankly don't care much about anymore.

Truth is that I enjoy the build much more than the finish.

Believe me what you need when you start this hobby is building a special room which i don't have. Wife is sometimes getting ehhh how you say this #:-) #:-) about the mess i make so i am glade i am not the only one with the problem.
When i was busy with my 1/72 waterloo dio she went nuts i used about 300 soldiers and in the same time i was busy with a wooden ship from constructo the Prince of Neufchatel i may tell you that wooden ship modeling is a real challenge but the mess is huge take only the map os the ship 3 of them 1.5 meter by nearly 2 then all the the wood well the ship is not yet ready. But you seriously sometime need to have a break with the building of your model begin another one of twoo at the end you might have 5 not ready model the dog of cat also gone and the wife totaly #:-) the children by the nearbough but you still healthy modeling.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 02:26 AM UTC
When does “unfinished” become “I have given up totally on that retched piece of crap?” Just wondering because I have the infamous Dragon Scud launcher inchin’ toward the waste basket. I spent more money on super glue trying to get that POS to fit together than I spent on the kit. Haven’t touched it 2 years.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:18 AM UTC
Im glad to see I am not the only with this problem. Its hard to do when you come on here and get Ideas that you just have to do that why I havent completed but probally two projects. I beleive if I didnt by any more kits i might would finish one. But I am afraid they wont be in production when get ready to start the project. Then when get the new kit it stares at you build me . (STOP THE INSANITY)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:20 AM UTC
I really really try to get stuff finished at Some Point. I ALWAYS have a bunch of kits on the bench.
Right now I have
Splash Diorama - Includes two figures and a jeep and the base.
Personal Diorama of a French country road - Includes a plaster mold wall, plaster rock road and figures all in progress.
P-61 - A wingie thing just to break up life
Krupp Protz in progress headed to a resupply diorama
M106A - Just cracked open ready for the Modern Armor build.

I have only truely not finished one kit. it stunk sooo bad. The others may take a protracted amount of time but they get finished.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:54 AM UTC
:-) Huge grin right across face :-)
When I joined Armorama I bemoned the fact that I had about 32 kits in various stages of completion. I joined last September and since then I have completed about a dozen kits, 3 of them for one group build, I have about 8 nearing completion, that wont take long to do. 2 of them are for other group builds, one of them has been on the go for about 15 years (Hs123 see the Rivet Review Board) a couple of others have been on the go for years. I'm going to be starting at least 3 possibly 4 new models, including 1 armour, for group builds and campaigns and I have recently, yesterday, started a conversion (Fw190G-8 into a Fw 190A-6, soon to appear on the RRB) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Mal
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:57 AM UTC
pfc, I think you have hit the nail on the head. I think with me it takes so long for me to build a kit that after a while I get some inspiration for something new and go at it like a bull at a gate. Plus I'm not that good at the painting and get frustrated when all the careful detail disappears under a blob of paint. Now, if the real aircraft, tank, etc were made of plastic coloured material......I would probably find another excuse not to finish a kit.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 04:46 AM UTC
I have got mostly a few figures in various stages of completion. I do however have a Humvie and Deuce and a half partially built.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hi guys I have a M60,ab.mw and a corsiar (which will be flying straight into the bin ) on the go, plus a sherman which has had everything that can go wrong,go wrong 1,the tracks ripped off both rear idlers fixed that put tracks back on they tore off both drive sprockets fixed that,bogey assembly fell off fixed that,found out I had put the wrong wheels on fixed that,spare track racks snapped off plus rear stowage shelf fixed that,The cat has chewed the 50 cal mount and picked its teeth with the ariel mount also broke off comanders hatch lid. but do i complain nooo stiff upper lip damm the torpedoes break out the glue bottle if the winter cammo goes wrong the corsair will not be lonely
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 07:04 AM UTC
I can't type that much.
Lets say.................................TOO MANY!!!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 07:12 AM UTC
one storch
one sherman (hey I'll get around to it)
one p-47 (friggin landing gear)
one wespe
and one camel

thats alot more than expected
Bravo21
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 08:13 PM UTC
My half-baked projects:

Italeri SdKfz 10/5
Italeri Opel Blitz
DML M26 Pershing
Tamiya M8 Greyhound
Tamiya 1/48 Me-109E4

Hey, that's only 5. I don't feel so bad after reading some of the posts in this thread.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 08:29 PM UTC
The only thing I finish is an amazing amount of cigarettes. :-) :-)

No that`s not true. SInce joining Armorama I actually started with building and finishing things. Since joining Armorama I have finished a dio (winter diorama campaign) I finishe a couple of figures (1:35) I`m almost finished with my Stug 40 F.
Nontheless I have some things standing next to the workbench to complete and all of them are dio`s. I have a "spitfire ramming factory smokestack above the ruhr" dio standing (1:72) Finished the 1:72 Spit and I made the smokestack, still have to finish that thing assemble and then it`s finished.
The figures I mentioned above are US paratroopers and I am working on a dio for the guys with as base an Original American Helmet. still working on that.
I still am working on the DSB contest dio of a completely rusted through hanomag on a french farmyard that is used as a pigsty...... Still working on that. finished the tree. only have to paint the hanomag, have to buy some pigs for the dio, do some groundworks and it`s finished.
And the new springdio contest is also started and wich I decided to join. Have to start building the whole dio but I`m almost finished because I have got the plan #:-) #:-)
Further I`m also in the WW2 figure campaign with a 1:9 fallschirmjager on a Zundapp ks750

well that`s about it I see you guys in a month or two then..... if I work a little harder I will get the half finished :-) :-) :-)

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 09:26 PM UTC
Lately, Ive got the buzz again, so hopefully there will be a few items finished soon.
Ive finished two smal dios that I had started and almost completed in the dio group build.
I have a 1/16 German machine gunner and great coat.... finished.. just need a little base!
1/16 elite german soldier....... built unpainted.
1/35 M151 Mutt with trailer (academy). ....... built unpainted
1/35 M151 Mutt with TOW (academy)....... built unpainted
1/35 M7 priest (Italeri)....... built unpainted
1/35 M4 76mm Sherman (italeri)....... built unpainted
1/35 M32 (Italeri)....... built unpainted
1/35 Hummvee (academy), 4 figures, Afghan scene....... all built and almost finished
1/35 Panxer 2 (tamiya) primed
1/35 Panther D (Italeri) Painted..... got Fruils yesterday
Scratch built church. from polystyrene foam.

I never (read NEVER) will start so many at the one time again. But one thing is for sure ..... I will not dump any of these..... they may be placed at the back of the dispaly and I will finish them all this year!

Keenan; I bought this scud yesterday. Couldnt resist it. Do you have pictures, infor etc. that you could send me. Would appreciate a little info from anybody on this subject!
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 11:29 PM UTC
I suffer from the same problem !
I've got so many going on at the same time...
I try to get beter, but I always get worse...
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 12:31 AM UTC
Only about 4 right now.
 _GOTOTOP