Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Favourite Weapon
SFraser
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 03:59 PM UTC
Hi Guys, I was wondering what weapons did you enjoy firing the most. When I was based in Fallingbostel, I joined a gun club in Bremen and I got to use the MP40 on the ranges, and I found it to be a brilliant weapon, and very accurate. Also the M1 was a great weapon as well. Thompson was inclined to jam quite quickly. Modern stuff I tried was the Uzi, neat piece of kit. .44 Magnum, boy does that have some kick off of it.
What were you're favourite weapons.
Scott
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 06:39 PM UTC
hey all,

Since I was in the service I would have to throw in the M16. My all time Fav is my L1A1. Great gun!
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 348 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 11:23 PM UTC
As somebody who missed out on Desert Storm (I was National Guard by that time and didn't get to go), I've missed out on all the fun wartime weaponry. That said, my favorite weapon was the Claymore mine! Even if they built it for US Marines ("Front Toward Enemy" indeed), it was still a blast (pun intended) to fire off!
aleong
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 09:10 PM UTC
Not sure if you have heard of Singapore's SAR-21. It is a good and reliable weapon. Accuracy is outstanding!
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 01:16 AM UTC
From the weapons I fired, I enjoyed the 155 mm M109 A3 howitzer most

Other than that, the 7.62 mm FAL was a nice weapon to fire.
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 02:02 PM UTC
I agree with Richard.....th M-109 was a kick in the pants!!!!
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 08:29 PM UTC
My fav would have to be the old Ma-Duece M2 50-cal. A real treat to shoot and packs a hell of a punch. A great way to get the enemy's head down.
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:51 AM UTC
My favorites would have to be the Ma Duece and the russian 12.5 mm. Mark 19 is pretty cool too! Loved watching those grenade fly to the taget!
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 07:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not sure if you have heard of Singapore's SAR-21. It is a good and reliable weapon. Accuracy is outstanding!

I was train to use that, but i always prefer my M-16, i didnt need a scope to earn my cross rifles.
SFraser
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 112 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 10:12 PM UTC
My old personal favourite was the SLR, I wasn't very kean on the SA80 when it came into service. My SLR never let me down for as the SA80 was always jamming, which in front line service is fatal.
Scott
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 338 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 01:36 AM UTC
The M242 25 mm chaingun. Thoong thoong thoong!
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 01:02 AM UTC
Well, as a Navy engineer I had next to no chancs to actually shoot a military weapon while I was in. I did get to shot a Remmington 870 while shooting skeet off the fan tail one after during a steel beach picnic.

Over the years I have fired several different guns while hunting and just shooting at targets. I love my Henry .22 cal rifle I have now, nice smooth action.

For a military weapon I can only go by what I have seen in action, but I always liked the Phalanx system we had onboard. It could sure put a great deal of ammo down range in s short period of time.
footsie
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 305 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 01:25 PM UTC
my all time fave, the good old SLR, robust . accurate . easy to strip and clean, parts dont fall off and a DAMN good weapon to butt stroke with. unlike the sa80. the only guys who liked the sa80 were sprogs,only time they ever used a real gun, thats if you can call it a real gun? ruperts, its not to heavy for em to carry, and battalion shooting teams, when it works it can be accurate.
aleong
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 05:15 PM UTC
I was train to use that, but i always prefer my M-16, i didnt need a scope to earn my cross rifles.[/quote]

Scope or no scope, its the the user that determines the effectiveness and lethality of a weapon. But i do agree with you that the M-16 is a accurate weapon but picking up someone else's rifle and firing it in the battlefield without zeroing your weapon is another. SAR-21 is factory zeroed and is user friendly to all.

Only drawback is you must be a right hand/right master eye firer.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 09:05 PM UTC
Being a sailor the only trigger I got to pull was on a .38 revolver. My favorite weapon is the FAE Fuel Air Explosive BLU-73,95 and 96 it is a thermobaric weapon.
“The overpressure within the detonation can reach 430 lbf/in˛ (3 MPa) and the temperature can be 4500 to 5400 °F (2500 to 3000 °C). Outside the cloud the blast wave travels at over 2 mi/s (3 km/s). Following the initial blast (compression) is a phase in which the pressure drops below atmospheric pressure (rarefaction) creating an airflow back to the center of the explosion strong enough to lift and throw a human. It draws in the unexploded burning fuel to create almost complete penetration of all non-airtight objects within the blast radius, which are then incinerated. Asphyxiation and internal damage can also occur to personnel outside the highest blast effect zone, e.g. in deeper tunnels, as a result of the blast wave, the heat, or the following air draw.”
And its little brother,
“United States Marines use a thermobaric version of their Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon, called a Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon-Novel Explosion (SMAW-NE). One team of Marines reported that they had destroyed a large one-story masonry type building with one round from 100 yards.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel-Air_Explosive
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 09:11 PM UTC
I've many weapons on my favourite list, like the L96, the MP5, the AK-47 and others, but I guess the one closest to my heart would be my old service rifle, the T81. I don't know how many of you have heard of it, but it's based on the Chinese T56 (which is in turn a copy of the AKM), and I actually think much better than both, and even better than the AK-74. It's a bit uglier than all three, but is a superb infantry weapon. Packs all the punch & simplicity of the AK, but with modern improvements. For instance it can fire rifle grenades, and the horrible AK-47 safety lever (that even the AK-74 still has) has been replaced by a thumb switch. I've used the T56 in combat too, and there was just no way to slip that bastard safety off silently, no mater how much you filed and oiled it.
sapper159
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 102 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 05:19 AM UTC
it has to be the 7.62 SLR and then the GPMG for me. when it came time to swap over to the [auto-censored] SA80 I always tried to be issued the LSW variant, made me feel like i had a proper gun in my hands, just like the good old SLR days. Just before I got out the army I had the opportunity at a range day to shot the MP5 variants , the british 7.62 sniper rifle, an old Martini henri with a 1/4 charge round which still nearly took my shoulder off, a mauser 98 and the good old .303 lee enfield,which I hadn't fired since my days in the army cadets. Shotguns are fun. But at the end of the day they all pale into insugnificance when you have played with plastic explosives. making big bangs and cutting things in 1/2, chopping down trees and making big holes is the most fun you can have outside of the bedroom type activities
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 06:04 AM UTC
I'll be honest, I haven't been able to fire much, but I liked my M-16A2, except when firing blanks. Once, with 100 rounds, I had 8 jams, all while under "fire" (it was a training op). And while I haven't live fired them, I like simulating the M249 and the M240B. There is a simulator which injects CO2 into the bolt to recycle it and a laser box in the barrel that shoots a laser up on a movie-theater screen. Its a lot of fun.

Jeff
tsitsosdera
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 30 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 05:32 AM UTC
My favorites are:
Boffors L70 40mm with the breda loader easy to use and failure free
Browning M2 .50cal
HK G3 7.62mm
BAR .300cal great accuracy but the small magazine capacity reduce the fun
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 03:03 PM UTC
For sheer soul-rocking concussion, I gotta agree pulling tail on an M109A3 is freaking outstanding. I was in a National Guard SP battery and as an NCO got to play with all the toys, as well as do a few powder burns -- no boom, but lots of flame and fun to turn sand into glass. Mortars are fun, too, especially firing an M224 60mm by hand at close range. You can almost watch the round from tube to target.

With small arms, Uzis and AKs are lots of fun to fire, as long as they don't have folding metal stocks. I can't stand them. A well-tuned M16A2 can be an absolute pleasure to fire. Machine guns are fun, but are pretty much area weapons and a chore to clean. I prefer a little more accuracy. 40mm grenade launchers are loads of fun to fire as well, whether from an M203 or an M79 blooper. I've only fired RPGs a couple times and found them kind of wild and scary to fire.

I've fired quite a few different pistols, rifles and shotguns in my lifetime (I grew up the son of a soldier, the grandson of a gunsmith and was a soldier myself -- we were all hunters and shooters), so I've had a lot of fun. My favorite is usually whatever I've fired most recently. In a few weeks, I'll need to go confirm zero on my 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser for this fall's whitetail deer hunting season.

peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 04:26 AM UTC
I still have a soft spot in my heart for the old Lee-Enfield SMLE. Learned to shoot on a .22 conversion of it, used it at Bisley as a cadet in.303. Highly accurate, easy to use, a nice weapon. After that, the Parker-Hale sniper rifle C3 and then the C1 SLR.

I've fired the AK, M-16, Steyr AUG and others, but I'm not a big fan of 5.56mm. Yes it's lighter and you can carry more, bu I like to "reach out and touch someone" at long ranges :-)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:29 PM UTC
M60 first and foremost.
M16 nice to earn Badge with
M203 A hoot to shoot
Law not bad but a tad slow on practice rounds
Ak47 not full auto another hoot to shoot.
Swedish 7MM that kicks like a Mule.
9mm Beretta
45 Cal.
7MM Remington Mag
243 Winchester.

List goes on.

Best I would say to me was the M203
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:36 PM UTC
The old M2 is number one with me. Followed by the M 14. I carried the M-14 as my weapon in Nam and love the old heavy thing. The Xm 134 mini gun is an absolute blast to fire. the old 1911 45 acp is still my favorite handgun. The pig gun can be fun also(M-60). We always had one or two as back ups to the M-2's on our gun trucks.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 06:46 AM UTC
God Knows how many types of weapons I have fired....from blackpowder pistols and Rifles up to 155mm howitzers. Pretty much every small arm and crew weapon in the US inventory from 1970 - 1990. Firing the 152 (?)mm main gun on a Sheridan was a hoot. It picked that tiny vehicle up and bounced it down. Firing 3 rounds out of an M60a1 in 11 secs was also a thrill. I would probaly have to go with the true "thumper" (M79) I was so acurate with it that I had one actually go into an open hatch on a tank target and on the VT round I killed 18 of 20. I have always wanted to fire a Thompson sub-machne gun. I have heard that due to the weight they don't lift on you as bad as the M-3 "grease-gun". For me, the ultimate would be firing a main gun turret off the Missouri. Man 3 big 16 inchers sent downrange----WOO HOO
horsegunner
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 239 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 03:34 PM UTC
My favourite weapon??? Well, having served in the Canadian Army in the early 80ies, it would have to be the FN-C2A1 - a full-auto, heavy barreled version of the C1 (or the SLR as our cousins across the pond called it).
Second favourite would have to be the M40A1 recoilless rifle, just something about firing a large calibre weapon with a round slow enough that you watch it go down range.
Third favourite has to be the MG42, fired one on a familiarization shoot one time, and as most infanteers will tell you, why waltz when you can rock and roll!!