Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Favourite Weapon
dgrady72
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 75 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 08:24 AM UTC
I would give it as a toss up between my HK-91 and my old springfield 1903.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,086 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 03:48 AM UTC
As I'm an old school kind of doc, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the 1911A1 .45 as opposed to the M9 POS I hauled around the sandbox twice. I also like the M4 carbine a whole heck of a lot, and with an RCO and/or PAQ-4, well it just gets better and better. I didn't t get the PAQ-4 on my weapon, just got to fam fire with one before my last deployment. Of all the weapons I've managed to weedle trigger time on, those are my fav's.
FNC1
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 58 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:17 AM UTC
It has to be any variant of the FNC1....aka the SLR, L1A1, FAL depending on your country of origin. 7.62mm, accurate to 800 meters if you know how to shoot, reliable, easy to clean and easy to zero. I never had a single immediate action or a jam in 12 years with this weapon. Those calling the M16 accurate do not have much experience with other weapons I think...when we changed from the FN to the C7 (M16A2, but with the defects fixed) my groupings went from 2cm at 200 meters with the C1 to 6cm at 200 meters with the C7. Plus of course stoppages stoppages stoppages. I personally carried a C1 and a half...the trigger plunger and change lever were from an FNC2, returning the weapon to selective fire, which was handy for house clearing and close defense.
damoore46
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 107 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 04:21 PM UTC
Well, I was a nuke mechanical operator on subs, so they frowned on giving me any weapons to fire. I heard the torpedo tubes go off a couple times - does that count?

When I was a CPO, I fired a First Class Petty Officer that wasn't doing his job, but that's about it!

DC
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 07:07 AM UTC
I, for one , am mighty glad you never ever got to fire your weapon DC!!!!!!

And to think you had 1000's of peeps lives in your control at the press of a button!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1000's

M.A.D. or what
smokeyjoe
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 21 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 03:20 AM UTC
My favorite weapon to shoot is my Model 1868 50/70 trapdoor Springfield. Twenty years ago I used to be able to knock lined up expended 30/06 cartridges off a 2/4 one after another at 50 yds. There is something about being able to hear the bullet hit the target at 100 yds. The most accurate rifle I ever fired was a M1903A1, I once put four shots in one hole and a fifth about an inch away at 2 O'clock 200 yds at Ft. Sill in the early 80s.
My favorite automatic weapon was the M3 Grease gun. It fired relatively slow and if you extended the sling and stood on it and pulled the weapon up against it, it was accurate. The Thompson was heavy; reliable and pulled to the right. I didn't like the MAC 10, something about shooting my knuckles off bothered me. The BAR was awesome, but that main spring is tricky to remove.
I carried an M16, the early model in Vietnam but didn't like it. It fired to fast on automatic.
Use a link to hold the breech open on a M2HB to set the head space and timing and it is one of the most exciting weapon to shoot. The M60 and M1919A3 were fun to shoot. I pulled the lanyard on a M110 6' howitzer of the Michigan National Guard at Camp Grayling and was impressed. I commanded a M198 and was XO of a M114battery. The M198 was so much easier to emplace.
Just after I was married in 1972 I met up with four old gun collectors who used to shoot their guns at a range in Pascoag, RI. They loved to bring different guns each week for me to shoot. I got to shoot shoulder arms from Committee of Safety and Brown Bess, Halls carbine and just about every Springfield from the M1795 to the M14. The Garand was the best of them, with its son the M14 next. They also had long arms that were not adopted such as a Hocthkiss bolt action carbine in 45/70 with magazine in the butt. A 45/70 Lee rifle in which you hit the back of the hammer with the palm of you hand to eject the spent cartridge. Phil Smith had a 50/110 Sharps rifle which made a noise similar to loading a M102 105mm Howitzer. It had almost the same "thunk" noise as you slipped the huge bullet in the chamber. I once beat Ed Hughes in a 200 yard match. He had a National Match M14 and I used an Officer's Model Springfield. My bullet dropped two feet.
For foreign weapon, Mauser K98, British Mark III, IV and V, French MAS 1936.
I once fired a reproduction matchlock, if you suffer from flintlock flinch you'll experience the dithers as you watch the burning match just smolder in the priming pan before it surprises you as it goes off when it wants to. How they ever shot birds on the wing is amazing.
As for pistols, the M1911A1 was, is and will always be the best combat pistol ever made. It works in any condition and has proven stopping power.
I'm authorized to wear the U.S. Army exert badge in rifle, carbine and pistol. I'm now in my 60s and can't seem to be able to get it in the 10 ring anymore, but I still love to exercise my M1868 every chance I get.
yankeearty
Visit this Community
entire network: 73 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 09:42 AM UTC
what a bout a civvy m700 re chambered to a weatherby .378 magnum when i heard about it i was told do not shoot prone r it will break your shoulder. it kicks like a poed mule and will kill just about anyone even with heavy duty hard body armor. By By Birdie
smokeyjoe
Visit this Community
entire network: 21 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 06:39 AM UTC
In the mid 70 I entered my Model 1873 45/70 in a trapdoor match in Massachusetts. My friend George Logee (Been dead nigh unto 20 years now) told me how to load my shells to burn with little barrel fouling and more accurate. He said they used to use 10 grains of Unique pistol powder along with 60 grains of FF black powder. So I loaded up about 40 rounds and went to my local range in Pascoag, RI. Much to my surprise not only did it kick as no other rifle I have ever shot but the trapdoor opened up and ejected the cartridge. Something was not right I said to myself. I later told Logee what happened and he told me he meant one grain of Unique. During WWII when powder was scarce they used to use 10 grains of Unique and fill the remainder of the cartridge with corn meal. Oops. Back then you could buy a darn good trapdoor for around $100. Then Turner Kirkland of Dixie Gun Works starting buying up as many trapdoors as he could to raise the price. It worked.
redalb2253
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 235 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 05:50 AM UTC
Mine was the M110a2 and the Pig.
ausboarder
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:04 AM UTC
i am only 14, but have fired 2 guns.

an MP5 and M4..
i fired both when i was 12 i think ? i prefered the MP5, because it was lighter and had less recoil
PanzerMike
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 298 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 10:37 PM UTC
My Steyr i used in the Army was great she only jammed twice even when using blanks and was a breeze to clean. I did enjoy firing the 203 but only ever got to use training rounds.
Splinty
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 114 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 09:01 AM UTC
I think of all the weapons I've gotten to fire the M4 is my favorite. It's small, relatively light and is pretty darn accurate for a carbine. The M249 SAW is my next favorite for pretty much the same reasons.
Minsk94
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 418 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 07:35 AM UTC
I served in 86-88 in so much hated "Commie Forces". Had SVD for the last year, and if had to go to combat again, would never trade it for anything else. It might be little too long, but as far as accuracy, range and the power I never fired anything that comes even close.
Though some stuff on Futureweapons makes me curious...
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,096 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC
Gotta be the be the good old gimpy(GPMG/MAG58/) what a hoot.
I have to say the SA80A2 was pretty dam good big improvement over the A1 it felt like it was made properly and didn't rattle like a cheap toy rifle.

treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 552 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 05:32 PM UTC
This is all very interesting, lots of preferences from various corners of the world, some things I have fired, some I have heard and read about and some of the more modern ones that I can only identify by way of the alphabet soup of numbers and letters.

Currently I own various weapons from the venerable .22 long rifle in many guises from a Soviet single shot target rifle that boringly puts out groups of standard velocity rounds into neat tiny little clusters out to ranges of 60 yards to my Ruger 10/22 and on up to my Weatherby .460 which can cause most folks to just sort of hand it back after one shot with tears in their eyes and a rather rude looking red mark on the shoulder. I have several "smellies" SMLE .303 British rifles from one 1903 variant of the Model 3 that I had to rebarrel, but once done is accurate out to 500 yards ( the farthest I regularly shoot at any more) all the way up to an Indian Arsenal made .308. Can't beat it for a slick action but the M1903 Springfield is good out to 1000 yards (8 inch groups at that range), just the thing to reach out and touch someone at ranges that they just sit and say, "Nah, ain't no one gonna get a hit at that range".

When in service (USMC) went through basic with the M14, highly impressive as far as accuracy is concerned in semi auto fire but had a nasty rise when on full auto as well as a punishing kick. Once in Vietnam we were given the earliest M 16s, told that they fired a "ball" powder that made cleaning a nonissue. That little bit of nonsense cost several lives until it was straightened out, they required constant care and maintenance. That did not last long as I was soon issued a Remington Model 700 that sported a Redfield Scope and told to start picking and chosing targets where they sent me.

I have to admit that it was the beginning of a long love affair with that particular brand and breed. I have one in 6mm Remington, 30-06, and a third in .338 Win. Mag. They are all extremely accurate, fed a constant diet of my carefully handloaded ammuntion, yes I roll my own as it were, as well as cast my own lead bullets for my collection of black powder and handgun rounds. In black powder I run from a .31 cal. Wells Fargo Baby Colt all the way out to a .54 caliber rifle that packs an unGodly wallop downrange. Which one is my favorite? They all are.
ausboarder
Visit this Community
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:09 PM UTC
Barrett M-107 or M-82 sniper rifle is pretty damn interesting..
markcunningt
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 8 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 02:53 AM UTC
It has to be the SLR. Robust, reliable and accurate. Even I couldn't miss. The 7.62 round would stop anybody even if you winged them. It's kick was satisfying too.
My regiment was being issued SA80's as I left. Now that was good timing on my part.
7thCavmedic
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 40 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 03:40 PM UTC
favorite is an M-4A3 w/203
# 2 45 cal
#3 M-40A1
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 03:39 AM UTC
I carried a 203. I much preferred it over having to lug around a 60. Plus, you could blow stuff up with it....
sarge450
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 05:17 PM UTC
Mine would have to be the MRK-19 grenade launcher. Nothing cooler than the thud, thud, thud and watching those babies blow down range.

A very close second the 50 cal. another hoot to shoot.
Third the M203 (I think there is a pattern here, I love grenades.)

and anything and everything else I got to fire that I am forgetting.
LongKnife
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
entire network: 831 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 02:03 AM UTC
Now they are long gone, cut down to metal chips and recycled. But my all time favourite is the m/45 submachine gun I had in the swedish artillery. Perfect at close range, and equally perfect on the back when you did your REAL job, guiding 155's.

I guess I'm in good company by loads of green berets and seals on this one

Tony
kupris
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 06:21 AM UTC
My good friend Chuck (ex UDT before Seals) liked the M3 grease gun because he said it would keep the VC heads down when they swam toward the beach.
Switzersland
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 196 Posts
KitMaker Network: 105 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:37 AM UTC
I Loved to shoot the M-60 MG in the morning. Something about the loudness of the weapon when fired and then the minor metallic clinking of the belt falling a part as it made contact with the ground made me so hard the cat couldn't scratch it. HA HA HA

and the M-203 was fun as well.
Blueheeler
Visit this Community
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 06:20 PM UTC
I would have to second you on that about the M60 Switzersland (John), loved that gun! After that it would have to be the SLR and F88 Austeyr.
motorbreath23
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 159 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 04:59 PM UTC
It was fun firing an AT-4. Ma-Deuce is fun too, amazing how little recoil it has for such a big cartridge. My weapon for a long time was the M249 SAW. Its true it jams alot, but the issue is with the clapdown breech which is made of cast aluminum, which dents fairly easily. If you mind the dents with a file or something the weapon will not fail you, though the barrel does heat up rather quickly. No more than a 4 round burst or your gonna melt something. It doesn't like dirt either, but if its oiled properly there won't be a problem. If I could pick anything I'd pick the AK. Reliability is way more important than comfort.