Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Anyone else collect vinyl LPs?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 08:46 AM UTC
Most of my music in on vinyl records or cassette tapes. As I moved households over the last few weeks, I noticed how much great stuff I have on LP ... with all the goodies that came with them originally. The poster and photos with the Beatles "White Album," the cardboard and paper "Love Gun" from the Kiss album of the same name, the "Nu-vinyl" (cover image embedded in record) of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells ... plus lots more. Is this stuff worth anything? Not that I will sell, but I'd like to tell my kids whether or not to throw them away. (My son-in-law probably has this already figured out, but I am ignorant to such things.)

Gotta get the stereo set up, gotta get the stereo set up,gotta get the stereo set up ..
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:48 PM UTC
I still have all my vinyl records. 7", 12" and LP's. A total of approximately 800 records. Mainly 80's music, but also 50's, 60's, 70's and a few classical records.
My wife have, on numerous occations, tried to persuade me to put them in the attic, but theres no way my old records go to the attic.

I don't know about the value of vinyl records. I'm sure some are worth quite a lot. The original goodies will increase the value of your records for sure.
Vinyl have once again become very popular. More and more new records are being released on vinyl as well as CD's.

Now get that stereo set up
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 03:16 PM UTC
Not a collector as such, but ahving been a teenager in the late 70's/early 80's vinyl was the only medium to use, and you just dont throw them away - even if you purchased the same on cd later. I'm in the process of ripping my albums - about 150 - to MP3 for use in more modern players - Sont never got round to a portable Deck !!!

Andy
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:39 AM UTC
Hi all, got about a hundred starting from the sixties onwards.Last purchase was a picture disc of Queens "Its a kind of Magic".my two favourites are John lennons walls&bridges and Pink Floyds Nice Pair which I got in Australia and they both have totally different covers to the ones issued in the U.K. which makes them a little bit rare and I AINT SELLING! well not yet. seriously I love my L.P.'s they have a quality of their own CD's are a bit clinical ,
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:55 AM UTC
I think I still have somewhere near 100 of them packed away. My kids look at them and say "wow, those are big CD's" :-)
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 383 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 01:31 AM UTC
Between 350-400 of them here Still listen them from time to time.

Always fun when the kids heard a modern remix of an old tune and dad take one of those "big CD" to make them listen to the original :-)
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 02:19 AM UTC
Mmm..viynl,
Now we are talking..i've got a collection of about 200 or so here in Belgium,a mix of all sorts of genres..jazz,reggae,house,hip hop,classic,rock and punk. I inherited my fathers collection of records from the 60's and 70's.He used to buy two copies of each record,thinking in the future that might of be of some value.He ended up giving me his "half",not one single record ever played!I have just about every New Zeland release of albums from the Stones and Beatles through to Stevie Wonder,Elvis,Johnny Cash,Buddy Holly,Bob Marley,Led Zeppelin and the Clash to name a few.This 40 year old collection of hundreds of records will be past on to my son when he is old enough.
Everyone harps on about hgreat the music from this day and age sounds..a little too precise for my liking.Give me the raw sound of viynl,it's how music should sound!!
cheers,Shay
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 04:47 AM UTC
I had almost 400 albums and 12" singles, plus around 100 7" singles, but sold them as a collection a few years ago. Had been collecting from around ´83 until ´94, when I swapped over to Cds. Some items Im sorry to have parted with, and never got the best price for. I had all the original "Stiff Little fingers" singles except for one, and could have gotten a lot more for them in Ireland or England! Most were heavy rock, and there is a huge market for this stuff in Sweden! Some of the best prices were for these below ... more than $300 for 10 records!

Iron Maiden - Number of the beast - 7" red vinyl
Iron Maiden - Run to the hills - 7" picture disc
Metallica - Kill ´em all - picture disc
Metallica - Ride the lightening - picture disc
Metallica - Master of puppets - picture disc
Metallica - Kill ´em all - double album/Gatefold sleeve
Metallica - Ride the lightening - double album/Gatefold sleeve
Metallica - Master of puppets - double album/Gatefold sleeve
Metallica - creeping death 12" gold vinyl
WASP - Animal (**** like a beast - 12" and 7")

I liked CDs, and decided to replace the whole collection. Have 400+ CDs today, and still looking for some, that are harder to find! Thank God for Ebay and Amazon!
sprue
Visit this Community
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 04:48 AM UTC
I started about a year ago, probably about a hundred records. My focus is on riot-girrrl bands like Sleater-Kinney, Bikini Kill and to an extent Erase Errata.

I love the whole process of collecting and playing vinyl. There's no comparison to taking a record out of its sleeve and playing it on a turntable.
Removed by original poster on 02/03/07 - 06:56:05 (GMT).
markm
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Between 350-400 of them here Still listen them from time to time.

Always fun when the kids heard a modern remix of an old tune and dad take one of those "big CD" to make them listen to the original :-)

That is true, some of the junk they have now just can't compare to the original.
CReading
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 06:57 AM UTC
I have all my fathers big band/jazz collection and all the LP's I bought while growing up in the 60's and 70's
The records I have are 'well used' so I doubt that they would fetch much on a collectors market.

Cheers,
C.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 08:06 AM UTC
I don;t collect them but I have abour 2500 I need to get rid of, just packed up in boxes adding luggage to my life.
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
entire network: 1,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:55 AM UTC
I have up to 3000 vinyls records here, and still buy a lot of them
About Frank's coup, i am not surprised as I once sold back a 7' for 120£

kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 06:20 AM UTC
Over 3000 myself...having managed a record store in the 70's when LP's were priced at $3.89 retail.

The collection includes mostly british rock and roll. every Who, Stones Zepplin Pink and . of course, all of the Beatles releases including all their solo albums.and a host of various Apple Records releases. Comedy LP's including Cosby, Carlin, Python and Cheech and Chong (with the giant rolling paper still intact.)

Stored on sturdy shelves in my workroom where the circa 1972' JBL 100's are still pounding out their sounds.

The cool thing is...every now and then...I run across a double LP that has some residue in the fold.

I loved the 70's...my wife was born in the seventies...hehe

and to quote Neil Young...
"I'm not goin' back to Woodstock for a while,
Though I long to hear that lonesome hippie smile.
I'm a million miles away from that helicopter day
No, I don't believe I'll be goin' back that way."

Kevin
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 08:08 AM UTC
I wasn't alive when vinyls were still the primary medium, but my mom has a small collection. I love taking them out and listening to them, it deffinitely has a feel all its own.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 03:45 AM UTC
I was in high school when album rock came of age and through college I put together a great collection. Between a serious "thermal anomaly" in my car and a flood in my basement they're mostly all gone. My 17 year old daughter loves collecting them and actually likes listening to most of the same music I loved in high school 40 years ago.

However, despite what I hear a lot of people say, I absolutely prefer digital music over vinyl. The scratches and popping you can never completely avoid on even the best of systems was never part of the experience that I enjoyed. I can hear a difference between the two all right, but the differences I hear are sounds that I never hear when I'm actually playing music, so why would I prefer that when I listen to it?

(Besides, just TRY and adjust the pitch on vinyl without changing the tempo or vice versa!!!! Believe me, THAT digital advantage makes practicing MUCH easier when you'd like to do either one!)

Tom