Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Has service helped your modelling?
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:21 AM UTC
I just wondered if you all thought that your military service has helped you with your modelling?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 06:03 PM UTC
Sure, I've always had plenty of full sized reference materials close at hand. Additionally, I've been to battlefields and recovered vehicles from both sides of the fight. I've stored my own gear on tanks and trucks. I know what items would be attached to a particular area of the vehicle.

I've painted tanks and trucks, added names, bumper numbers and tactical numbers. Marking models is much easier.
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 08:27 AM UTC
I have learned.....
1) Attention to Detail
2) Pride in what I accomplish
3) Humility when things don't work out right
4) Networking

Cheers!
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 10:00 AM UTC
Unfortunately for me, it hasn't benefited a whole lot. The main reason is because i was a combat engineer during my service and no kit manufacturer makes the vehicle that i commanded which is the M2B Amphibious Raft. (aka Alligator or Comet)

LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 348 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:10 AM UTC
Nah, I sucked before I joined the Army and I still suck now. I DID get to build a model of a truck I drove - a 5-ton with a commo hut on the back - but that's about it for true-life modeling for me. I wish somebody would put out a 1/35 model of the CUCV pickup and the CUCV Blazer, both of which I drove in the NG.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:31 PM UTC
I understand exactly what Jeremy and Lee mean. I can't seem to find a lot of the equipment that I was involved with either. It has helped me a lot in seeing how paint fades and where rust occurs on vehicles and stowage like Robin said. I can still remember the best places to hang your pack on certain vehicles!
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 370 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 07:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I I can't seem to find a lot of the equipment that I was involved with either.

Dont feel bad! I went searching for a model of my ship, the USS Wainwright (CG28) and then only thing I could find was a resin kit for $275.00. Sorry, I lived my ship and I was sad when they scuttled it, but I'm not shelling out 300 bucks for a model of it.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 06:50 AM UTC
I'm with Rob on this one. Having a 1:1 reference subject is very useful. I also get to read the maintenance manuals which shows me how certain parts fit together and where I can use my creativity to build some more difficult subjects.
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 07:46 AM UTC
I'm going to have to go with a yes and a no on this one.

Like Jeremy I was a Combat Engineer in the Australian army and I have plenty of good reference shots of the vehicles we and other units used. But there are only so many M113 APCs and Leopard tanks you can build if you know what I mean.

On the other hand the Australian army didn't use a lot of late war Bf 109s, Spitfires, Shermans or Panthers (during my service anyway :-) ), so for those it's back to the reference books.

Cheers
Darren
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 10:18 AM UTC
I agree with Rob's assessment.

I might add that there is the Army's way of doing things and the soldier's way of doing things. What I mean by this is the manual may give an official way, but the soldier in the field will often find a better way. Plus, there are things the manuals don't cover unauthorized but (sometimes) tolerated equipment, like stowing a cooler or mounting a boom box, or any of the countless number of other field mods troops make to improve comfort or ease their workload.
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2006 - 12:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with Rob's assessment.

I might add that there is the Army's way of doing things and the soldier's way of doing things. What I mean by this is the manual may give an official way, but the soldier in the field will often find a better way. Plus, there are things the manuals don't cover unauthorized but (sometimes) tolerated equipment, like stowing a cooler or mounting a boom box, or any of the countless number of other field mods troops make to improve comfort or ease their workload.

I sure can relate to that
MTDriver
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2006 - 04:20 PM UTC
It has helped me in the fact of not being too pedantic in the colour of the vehicle,due to fading,wear and tear,different paint stock and bull,for parades we used to wipe down paintwork with petrol,doesn't bear thinking about in todays health and safety enviroment.It would be cool to see the effects possible in a diorama of an exploded can of beans and sausages that had been left too long on the exhaust pipe of a Ferret because we hadn't the time to stop and cook a proper meal.
Dave.
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 03:58 AM UTC
Yes it has helped. i don,t modle vehicles, ships or planes, but i do sculpt figures, and my my time in the service has allowed me the chance to see how soldiers look after long hours of work or BSing in the barracks ect...
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,139 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 09:18 PM UTC
I have to say it helped me alot. Since I was a tanker and model mostly tanks I know where the dirt sticks, how the tracks look. Real effects of being in the field vs artistic effects and weathering. You don't appreciate how dirty a tank really gets until you have spent hours chipping mud and plant matter out of a suspension and been blasted soaking wet with recycled water out of a fire hose.

Tom
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 06:54 AM UTC
No. In fact it hinders it. In the past five years, I have been away from home almost half of the time. It's not really convenient to lug around modelling supplies, even if I did have time to model, which I don't.
Sure, I have a great collection of photos, but most of what I model is IDF stuff, or artilery, so they don't help a lot. Time and practice help more in any endeavor.
As for vehicles my unit uses, well, we don't use many. Chinooks and Black Hawks mainly, but I get better photos (and have more time for them) from stateside units I visit. Besides, it's kind of hard to manipulate a camera when you're sticking your head out the ramp looking for panels...
OneOneBravo
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 100 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 09:50 PM UTC
In away yes and no for me i worked on tanks etc before i joined the british army and still serving in iraq at the moment keeping my head down, i started to do aircraft then tried to see if they would fly some did some didnt then started on tanks after that i joined a museum ejoyed working on them wasnt many jobs going that was to my liking so i joined up after that i joined a tank regiment,now i model them to how they are in or out of service including the illegal modifications that the crews fit.

Pete

Living the dream.....

Iraq
aleong
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 09:08 PM UTC
Oh definitely! My service in Army helped me realized how much more powerful other Armies can be. Weapons and equipment can be so different and proper usage of these equipment can be extreme deadly! Especially the tanks!
Treadhead12
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to say it helped me alot. Since I was a tanker and model mostly tanks I know where the dirt sticks, how the tracks look. Real effects of being in the field vs artistic effects and weathering. You don't appreciate how dirty a tank really gets until you have spent hours chipping mud and plant matter out of a suspension and been blasted soaking wet with recycled water out of a fire hose.

Tom

Same here. I was on M60A1's in the 11th ACR and then on M60A3's for Officer Advanced Course. My DAC job (I went from a DAT to a DAC in Germany in the early 1980's) was fielding of new equipment into V Corps that gave me several opportunities to get on the new tanks, Bradley and many other vehicles and weapons.
Steve1479
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 164 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:37 AM UTC
Definately, It gave me first hand looks at the machines I was building and painting, so I knew what to do and what not to do, or what to add and what to take away. Joining the reserves, greatest choice of my life. I get to serve my country, and go to college at the same time.