Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How I Build Dioramas
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 8,227 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,502 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 08:13 PM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 08:26 PM UTC
On mixing scales and forced perspective.
The above represents just how careful you have to be to make your forced perspective pics believable .At first glance everything seems OK but if you look at the right of the pic at the aircrafts wingtip you will see a door and its handle.The height of the windows and hangar door can be variable and even the door itself to some extent but the normal height of the doorknob above the floor is familiar to everyone.By moving the camera just a little to the left I could have avoided the problem.Just take your hand and block off the door in the pic to see what I mean!
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 02:08 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 02:49 AM UTC
nother
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 02:58 AM UTC
I think I am happy with this general arrangement for the engine shop.It seems a little crowded ,Maybe I should of made it bigger.I have yet to fine tune the weathering and add a few more things to finish the interior.
The figure as you can see is the same one .I don't know why I picked this figure as I haven't yet finished the facial features.( that is why I didn't take the pics face on. )Next it is on to the lighting,should be fun!
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:35 PM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 03:36 AM UTC
Another
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 03:50 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 09:14 PM UTC
Barnstormers and Flying the Mail!
As you know a lot has been written about the American cowboy and all of the mythology that goes with it.For my money,the barnstormer reality ,much better represents the rugged individualism that we seem to admire so much in our society.Sleeping in a field under the wing of your battered old Jenny or trying to scrape enough money together to buy the gas to give another show, risking your neck in front of a crowd that secretly hopes you might buy the farm that day and put on a real show.Flying the mail in the face of snow, rain,hail and thunderstorms ,over uncharted terrain ,following the railroad tracks to god knows where ,day in and day out for little reward ,where would we find aviators like this today?They were a product of their time mostly ex-military pilots in love with the idea of flight ,they were willing to do almost anything to take to the air.They were used to risking life and limb and most probably didn't know of any other way of life.
Today they are mostly all forgotten,these heroes of aviations early years.
Their legacy has largely fallen into the hands of historians,artists and modelers like us ,to keep the flame alive.
Cheers! John.
My photobucket:
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/JohnReid/
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 09:38 PM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2007 - 01:05 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2007 - 01:47 AM UTC
Loading Dock
After finishing the lighting of the engine shop, it will be time to finish the loading dock/garage door area, complete with its lighting as well.(Somewhere in this general area I will eventually put the camel/truck being prepared for transport.)
I am fast reaching the point where I will have to finish Jenny and place her in the main hangar, so I can figure out where everything else will go.To have Jenny sitting on her wheels and permanently installed is a day that I am greatly looking forward to.I still haven't figured out how to finish the outdoor enviroment or just how much to add to finish Phase 1.Whether Phase 2 will ever get built ,at this point ,I really don't know.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:05 PM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 07:19 PM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 07:28 PM UTC
Need Ideas!
The above very rough sketch is an idea that I have been tossing around to display the diorama.The museum of course will have the final say but I want to supply them with a few ideas.If you guys have any ideas I would love to have your input.Thanks! Cheers. John.
My photobucket:
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 01:22 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 01:34 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 02:04 AM UTC
Camel /Model A truck Combo!
After the war a number of Camel aircraft were sent to Canada to be used as teaching aids at some universities.Reid and Sons Flying Services has been contracted to deliver one of these aircraft from the airport to the school.
I plan to build the new Model Airways Camel and attach it to the truck much like is depicted in the pic,except my aircraft will be left uncovered to add more interest for the viewer and will probably be placed at the rear of the hangar near the engine shop/loading dock area.
I only plan to build this after completing the main hangar,maybe some time next winter.I think that it will be an interesting addition to the diorama and at the same time give the viewer a nice close up look at how these aircraft were built.
My photobucket:
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 10:14 PM UTC
Camel ,first impressions!
Although I haven't yet received my Camel kit,my first impression ,looking at the pics and drawings on their website ,is that it is pretty much the same quality as their Albatros and Nieuport kits, which is to say that it looks like it would make a nice decorative piece built as is, but for the serious modeler it is only a good place to start with a lot of scratchbuilding.
For what I plan to use it for I don't see a lot of problems building it.I think that it will make an interesting addition for the casual viewer and for me something to play around with trying to improve it a bit.Bottom line don't expect it to be a Jenny quality kit.I must say that I am a little disappointed to see what I would consider as a backward step in quality.You can't argue with success though they seem to be selling them ,but I wonder how many are actually being finished!
My photobucket:
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 11:15 PM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 07:10 PM UTC
The above pic gives you an idea of how each module is made as an independent unit and attached to the main hangar structure using just 2 screws at the base.Each modular unit can likewise be taken apart by simply loosening a few screws and disconnecting the lighting.I did this for easy transport as well as ease of maintenance.This requires a little planning when you are gluing things together.
Here I am about to start the electrical wiring and then it will be on to final assembly.When this module is finished it will be on to finishing the wiring of the main hangar structure and final assembly.
My photobucket:
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 07:23 PM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Long View Post
John,

This really is trememndous piece of work. It appears you're nearing an end. What will be next?
Hi John! Thanks.There is still a ways to go yet but you are right I am slowly getting there.When this main hangar structure is finished and all the exterior enviroment ,I will have a decision to make.Do I go on with phase 2 or not?
In the beginning my intention was to build the complete airport much like it is depicted in the painting I posted earlier.This would involve another large hangar plus outbuilding modules ,such as a radio shack/dispatch office,airport maintenance equipment shed etc...
I would say that when phase one is finished sometime this year I will have about 3,000 hours of shop time in it by then.To build phase 2 would probably take almost as long as phase 1.I feel that maybe after 3 dioramas ,depicting old airplanes in old hangars, it may be time to move on to something new!
Cheers! John.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 08:10 PM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 10:35 PM UTC