Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How I Build Dioramas
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 8,227 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,502 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:32 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 01:37 AM UTC
Looks like Harley left a little present on the floor!

This little fantasy pic features a Patton figure and a Peerless automobile.
My photobucket:
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/JohnReid/
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 01:46 AM UTC
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 01:48 AM UTC
This project is so much fun to let sit for a while, then just slowly paruse through and catch up
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 06:31 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:01 PM UTC
Another step forward.
Well today I will fit the roof trusses on to make sure everything lines up ,then remove it and take off the L/H main hangar sidewall and actually begin furnishing the interior.I will start along the backwall while it is still easily accessible .Everything of course will have to be subordinate to Jenny ,the main subject matter.This will be the most tricky aspect of this build.What to leave in and what to leave out.I need just enough to keep it interesting and not overwhelm the main subject.A lot of my original ideas will change now that I have both an inside and outside enviroment to work with.When viewed from the front there will be no doubt what the main subject matter is ,Jenny and the WW1 pilots.The other three sides will be supporting eye candy.The main hangar doors act as a nice screen to everything else going on.I think that they will act as a nice way to direct the eye of the viewer to the main storyline without too much distraction.This is getting exciting!!!!!!!!!
My photobucket:
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 03:25 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 04:02 AM UTC

Well the roof trusses check out OK,and have been removed again.The L/H side wall has also now been removed and I have easy access to the backwall.This will be a great time to finalize the floorplan,finish the furniture and Jenny and then replace the side wall and roof and finish the exterior.Well thats the plan anyway.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 08:07 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 08:18 AM UTC
Another
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 08:10 PM UTC

Hi guys(and gals)! I got some wonderful news today,I have been offered a commission by the Royal Air Force Museum in London ,England to do them a diorama.Of course I have accepted their offer and have already begun to do a little research on the subject matter.Will keep you advised .Cheers! John.
My photobucket:
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 05:38 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:14 PM UTC
Another
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 06:39 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 02:56 PM UTC
Another
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 04:18 PM UTC
I am starting to play around with the different elements of the diorama,deciding what to put and where.This is loads of fun but very important to get right.One big decision I have made already is to cut down on the the number of items actually going inside the main hangar.The modules have lots of stuff in them and look good a little junky but the main hangar has been cleaned up to just the main elements to tell the story.The focus is on the aircraft conversion to a barnstormer and the WW1 pilots in conversation.Trying to add anything else to the composition is not only confusing but unnecessary .
I will give the mechanic a few tools and stepping stool ,add a stand of two but that is pretty much it. The outside of the hangar will be a different story.There I plan to have lots going on.If you were to look at this diorama only from the front view it would tell the main story ,the rest is just eye candy but a lot of fun to do! I was worried in the beginning about having anything going on beyond the perimeters of the main hangar and its modules but by keeping the front view simple and the rest behind the hangar door side structures, I think that I can get away with having a bit of fun in eye candy department without it being too distracting to the viewer.
The cleaned up hangar would also fit into the storyline as management would probably have wanted things a little tidier than normal for the guests on Veterans Day.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:16 PM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:52 PM UTC
Fighter Pilots
I wanted to show this as a tightly knit group of fighter pilots ,which is the way I remember them as being from my childhood.They are a select group trading war stories.No BS just enjoying the brotherhood of each others company.
My photobucket:
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 08:03 PM UTC
Sea-Camel
Hi guys! While working on the somewhat repetitive business of installing the main hangar lighting I have kept busy planning for the sea-Camel conversion of the Model Expo kit.As far as I can see there were 3 different versions of the airframe.The Camel 1F.1(RFC/RAF),the 2F.1 Sea-Camel(RNAS) and a 2 seater training version with no armaments.(the 2 seater would also make for an interesting build if good research material could be found)Sea -Camels had the 130hp Clerget,other models also had that same engine installed in addition to the 150hp Bentley BR:1 and the 230HP Bentley BR2.
The conversion does not look to be too difficult .The main differences seem to be the 2 part fuselage,shorter wingspan and smaller tail surfaces.Most other minor changes in rigging and bracing are due these changes.One other major change is the flying controls.The controls on the Sea-Camel are rigged the same as the 5F.1 Dolphin.
I have already had some experience in the modification business by converting the Jenny to a Canuck which was not too difficult.I will list some of the other minor changes later.
I plan to build a Camel for the "Memories of Flight School" diorama but I don"t know if any of them shipped to Canada after the war were Sea-Camels.More research I guess...........
My photobucket:
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 07:55 PM UTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnReid View Post
I thought that maybe you guys would like to follow me through the research involved in doing a diorama from scratch.I will at sometime down the road start a new thread on the actual build.The build will definitely be built around a WW1 storyline.Wish me luck! Cheers! John.
Wow!this is fun. As you can see this research business leads you down many different roads and at times is quite confusing due to conflicting information. I have found that even the experts get it wrong at times.This is another learning experience for me.As you can see I really know very little about the Camel or its history at this stage ,so please bear with me in this research adventure.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 08:11 PM UTC
Storyline idea #1 Sea-camel at Hendon airfield.
When planning a large diorama I try to keep 2 things in the forefront of my mind
1-buy what you can,build what you must.
2-Did it happen or could it have happened?

Keeping that in mind ,and wanting to stay in 1/16th scale, and the fact that the next aircraft I have available to me in that scale ,is a Sopwith Camel ,here is my idea.
The Royal Navy during WW1 experimented with a modified Camel ,called the sea-Camel ,which was developed for defense against German dirigibles.It was built lighter in oder to climb to great heights,with only one gun and the fuselage could be broken in half for easier storage on a ship.These aircraft were considered expendable by the navy so no provision was made for them to land back on board.
In keeping with criteria #2 above,could the following have happened?A sea-Camel has departed HMS Furious(one of the 1st aircraft carriers)in defense of London during WW1,probably about 1917.Having run out of fuel over London it attempted a landing at London-Hendon field and crashed short of the runway.The aircraft was hauled into the Grahame-White factory for repairs.
My diorama would depict the aircraft nearing completion after undergoing extensive repairs(open structure-no fabric).I could envision the two halves of the fuselage(a unique feature of this aircraft) being re-joined together by a couple of mechanics under the watchful eye of a few RAF types.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 08:43 PM UTC
Sea-Camel
Hi guys! While working on the somewhat repetitive business of installing the main hangar lighting I have kept busy planning for the sea-Camel conversion of the Model Expo kit.As far as I can see there were 3 different versions of the airframe.The Camel 1F.1(RFC/RAF),the 2F.1 Sea-Camel(RNAS) and a 2 seater training version with no armaments.(the 2 seater would also make for an interesting build if good research material could be found)Sea -Camels had the 130hp Clerget,other models also had that same engine installed in addition to the 150hp Bentley BR:1 and the 230HP Bentley BR2.
The conversion does not look to be too difficult .The main differences seem to be the 2 part fuselage,shorter wingspan and smaller tail surfaces.Most other minor changes in rigging and bracing are due these changes.One other major change is the flying controls.The controls on the Sea-Camel are rigged the same as the 5F.1 Dolphin.
I have already had some experience in the modification business by converting the Jenny to a Canuck which was not too difficult.I will list some of the other minor changes later.
I plan to build a Camel for the "Memories of Flight School" diorama but I don"t know if any of them shipped to Canada after the war were Sea-Camels.More research I guess..........
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 09:05 PM UTC
Storyline #2.Camel nightfighter out of Hendon
This would also make a good storyline,A Camel nightfighter being repaired at Hendon ,while defending London during WW1.It would also be a nice piece, dedicated to my dad , who found himself doing the same thing out of Auckland airfield in Beaufighters and Mosquitoes during WW2.
This would be one of the first ,if not the first fighter aircraft, to be dedicated to the defense of a city, at night, during wartime.Now if I could only find some drawings or plans or pictures of the Camel "Comic Nghtfighter".I would suspect that it would be a lot like the trainer version with the pilot seated aft and the fuel tank where the student pilot would be, because of CofG considerations.Must have been awfully tail heavy on empty tanks though!

Please note!!!!!!!!
I hope you non-aviation types can bear with me during this research stuff. Research is a big part of any diorama making project and I just thought that following me through the twists and turns of this would be helpful ,especially to new dioramists who are also looking to develope a storyline.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 09:22 PM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 01:26 AM UTC