Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How I Build Dioramas
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 8,227 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,502 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 10:12 PM UTC
These are some of the 1/72 figures I used on my HMS Victory diorama.I was lucky in this case, to find figures of the Napoleonic era, that required mostly the removal of plastic to convert them into what I wanted.
Some I just changed the uniform from infantry to marines,while others I radically changed from officiers into able seaman.I used three different sets of figures to crew my ship.When shopping around for figures try to see beyond the obvious and look more for body and hand and feet positions that could be used "as is" or could be slightly modified for your purposes.
I understand that the plastic used by different manufactures can vary quite a lot in consistancy.I found that with these Revell figures that you could cut them very cleanly with a #11 blade but they are hard to work with any kind of rotary tools.I don't know if the same is true for all plastic figures,here you will have to experiment a little as my knowledge in the area is limited to only one brand.I have had more experience with resin figures and rotary tools, which are very easy to work on with burrs.
These plastic figures are quite nice and have a lot of detail for such a small scale.They require very little clean up and flash can easily be removed by cutting it off or scrapping with the edge of the xacto blade.
The mods that I show here are about as radical as I have done to a standard figure without actually moving, replacing ,or mix and matching body parts.Here I was looking for hand and body positions that could be modifed into figures that were hauling on ropes.These guys are obviously "factory rejects" for one reason of another but they give you an idea of the process.
I also used some "mounted on horse "figures from the American civil war era for some of the seated figures.Other seated figures were from wagons and they would make great sailors hauling on oars or a seated figure for aircraft cockpits.More on this later......
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hi Guys! my confuser has been U/S for the last week or so.Hope you didn't think that you would get rid of me that easy!!!!!!!! Cheers! John.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 09:18 PM UTC
Well here we go again!Let me tell you that ,cold turkey, computer withdrawal is no fun but I must admit I got a lot more building done.
The diorama has been moved to a larger area and yes I did check to see that it will go through the door when finished.I have heard too many stories of guys building airplanes in their basements,then having to knock down walls to get them outside.It is now back to square one ,except this time 90% of it is built and ready to be installed.I have parts and pieces all over the place and only I know how it all goes back together.
The first major step now is to wire up all the electrical fixtures,both interior and exterior.I am running wires through aluminium tubing to wooden junction boxes at each fixture.All fixtures will have to be easily available for bulb changing therefore all roofs have to be removable.
My 12 year old next door neighbor(my adopted grandson)has a digital movie camera and he wants to make a documentary of me putting it all together.We have already started and are having loads of fun.I have also decided to come into the 21st century and buy a digital camera for "in progess" pics.I will keep the old film SLR for studio shots.
I must admit that it is a little intimidating looking at the bare hangar floor again but the excitement of finishing this year will ,no doubt keep me going.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 09:31 PM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 06:59 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 07:36 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 08:28 AM UTC
1/72 figs
Here are a few painted factory rejects.They were painted in bright acrylics as I wanted to give a little life to a rather dull wood and brass ship diorama.I undercoated them with thinned down white gesso ,put pins in their feet and glued them with superthin superglue.
The bottom row of seated figs are from a Revell civil war series and with a few mods could make excellent pilots.
The bottom right figure has some white epoxy paste added to it ,ready to be carved off.(I must have changed my mind for some reason.)
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 09:14 AM UTC
Sorry for the confusion in the picture sequence but I wanted to finish off the 1/72 figure postings.
Now it is back to the diorama.The post above with the barrier strips pic is of the parts required to build the individual light junction boxes.The plastic terminals come in series of 12 on a single strip.I simply cut off two at a time and build my wooden junction box around it.I assemble it using superglue and then sand it square(or as square as I can)These boxes will be set upon the hangars rafters and the bulb wiring attached to it,so that with the release of just two small set screws the whole fixture assembly can be removed for servicing, otherwise the bulbs themselves can simply be replaced like any ordinary lightbulb.I will post pics of the complete assembly ASAP to be cont.......
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 07:53 PM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 08:09 PM UTC
Another
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 08:40 PM UTC
Main hangar light fixture
Starting at the bottom the main components are:
-Screw in type light bulb used in dollhouses
-Light socket glued into a hand carved wooden receptackle using high heat stove and gasket cement.(very little heat is generated anyway)
-Modified brass christmas bell
-Brass tube with washers glued on
-Brass tube that fits into the other brass tube that goes thru rafter beam and into the wooden junction box that sits on top of the roof rafters
-Junction box with terminal strip and set screws to capture the wiring

Now all I have to do is build a dozen or so more.The final number will be determined by how much light is thrown.I plan to use more than required and put them on a dimmer.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 07:53 PM UTC
Hi guys! Well I am still working on the hangar lighting building and putting all those pieces together and connecting them up using aluminium tubing.
I finally brought my self into the 21st century and bought a digital camera.I am presently trying to check myself out on its functions but will require a little dual on how to connect it to the confuser.Wow,it only serves to remind me how fast things are developing these days.My brother flies an Airbus and I have a hard time finding anything that looks familiar in the cockpit.I am still trying to come to gribs with "Oh thats how you used to do it in those days."Funny I don't feel that old!!!!
Cheers! John.
My photobucket:
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/JohnReid/
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:39 PM UTC
New Camera
I think that I have now learned the basics of the digital camera.A friend is going to hookup the software for me soon.
I plan to take a lot of pictures over the next while as I put the "Memories of Flight School" diorama together.I am doing this mostly for the museum ,so that they will have a record of how it all goes together, in case of future upkeep.
As I go along if anyone has any questions or would like me to take a specific pic from an angle that may not be available in the future,please let me know.This is the final buildup and the last opportunity that I will have to do so.
I wish that I had the same opportunity with the Albatros and Nieuport dioramas (especially the Abatros' lighting system, which is really too complicated)The Nieuport uses standard Xmas bulbs ,while the Albatros has a RR system with transformer.I am afraid that once the lights go out on the Albatros no one will bother to change them(oh well,I did it mostly to take pics for myself anyway).
Cheers! John.
My photobucket:
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 04:26 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 08:28 PM UTC
Another
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 08:48 PM UTC

I made a shorter version of the light fixture that you see above for the carpenters shop module.It is now hooked up and tested OK.There will be a total of 4 lights in this shop,which is more than enough.In those days most bulbs were left uncovered ,to shed the maximum light I guess, however in the model they generally burn too bright especially for pic taking purposes, therefore I plan to put a reostate on each module so I can vary the lighting as required.
My light fixture is a bit of a compromise in that just the tip of the bulb hangs below the shade.
My photobucket:
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 02:57 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 03:11 AM UTC
Another
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 03:42 AM UTC
Putting it all back together!
Pic 1 & 2

Step number one is to place the carpenters shop module in position on the main hangar floor and secure it down.
The old dining room table was a garbage find(great also for a RR setup)set upon an old tv cabinet that is on casters.It gives me a lot of freedom to roll around such a large diorama without having to lift and handle it.If I find it necessary I could set the whole thing on some kind of lazy susan idea.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 06:32 AM UTC
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 07:11 PM UTC
That is a huge base. Well done, love the detail in the wood. The backside workshop came together really nicely.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 02:19 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 08:34 PM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 09:25 PM UTC
Another
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 08:18 PM UTC
Lighting woes.....
I know that I am probably overdoing this lighting business as there probably is an easier way!Problem is, that I am trying to design a system that is easily maintained ,with everyday components ,once I send it to the museum.Yesterday I spent all day hooking up 2 lighting boxes together ,through another box ,so that they are independent from one another and will not all go out if one goes U/S.
I know that this is pretty basic stuff but it does require a lot of scratchbuilding of components to make it all accessible.When finished you should be able to change a bulb or a complete fixture by simply removing the dioramas roof.Well thats the plan anyway..........I have revised the carpenters shop lighting to 3 units which seems to be enough.
My photobucket: