History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Why so much interest in defeated powers?
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 14,499 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 09:59 AM UTC
Hi Martk,

Well I didn't know that, but Churchill's tha one who's remembered for it.

Cheers

Al
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 03:54 PM UTC
Yes a very interesting question...

I can only speak for myself and it has nothinng to do with who won the war or any political, racial or ethnic reasons.

Simply put, I have always been impressed by the advanced aircraft designs of WW2 Germany, hence my interest in Luft 46.
In fact many aircraft of today have been heavily influenced by these concepts. In the majority of cases, what you see flying today has at least some small detail found on a German design or a development of.
Plus many of the German aviation designers were employed by the various allies after the war, to continue their development work and research.

Also David (spooky6) hit the nail on the head ...German stuff in particular offers so much variety in colours, markings and camo schemes and patterns, that makes each model eye catching for these reasons alone.

Having said that I am also equally interested in British, American, Russian and Japanese aircraft concepts of the samne period. Its just that there is a lot more German material to go at.

Cheers
Peter
:-)
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 05:43 AM UTC
Hi Peter,

Interest and very relevant point of view. Us foot slogggers often ignore the aviation side of things.

That's a whole other world - no doubt that aircracyt design took leaps ahead during that period and it's the same in all wars, technonlgy leaps forward and when peace finally comes those advances usually filter through to Joe Public.

The internet is just another example of Military Technology moving into the public domain.

Cheers

Al
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 11:16 PM UTC
Besides the technological and pure personal preference there is another thing about the Third Reich. The proud father and his son standing next to a knocked-out T-34, the heroic SS soldier with a panzerfaust, and other dioramas somehow show some kind of a romantic picture of the Germans fighting the big, ugly Russians in a lost war.
And there are a very few people who are downright Nazis. (I saw this guy's page who's building in large-scale. Every description of the models was a small propaganda-speech about the heroic Germany pitted against the barbaric, Asian Communism in the streets of Stalingrad, the clash of Western civilization against the vile hordes, the struggle for the survival of Europe and all that jazz.)
So besides historical interest there is certainly something else, too.
(And I'm building German armor. My reasons are: lots of strange or exotic variations, nice-looking subjects, and the fact that almost 70% of the market is German armor. Almost the same reasons I build Russian armor as well. If Dragon produced Catepillar machinery 3 in 1 I'd build those, too.)
Zacman
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 01:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Besides the technological and pure personal preference there is another thing about the Third Reich. The proud father and his son standing next to a knocked-out T-34, the heroic SS soldier with a panzerfaust, and other dioramas somehow show some kind of a romantic picture of the Germans fighting the big, ugly Russians in a lost war.

Even a 3 foot high Nazi youth in their uniforms, could instill fear!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 05:20 PM UTC
Greetings all,

I worked in Germany during the late 70s, early 80s. At that time the Nationalist Party was still very much alive and kicking. Tuesday evenings were devoted to the Youth Meetings complete with brown shirts, sam browns, shorts and socks but minus the arm band and lots of speaches, and Thursdays were deveoted to the Old Comerades meetings complete with flags, songs and lots of beer.

It was a pretty scarey sight.

Just a slightly different angle on the last few posts.

Cheers

Al