KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 04:32 PM UTC
Here's a decent one for 69 bucks....
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47407
Regulator, and a tank..... all you need, you spend almost as much making up a hunk of junk.
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 747 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 07:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Some research for you luke:
Cost of Old Refrigerator/Air conditioner with WORKING compressor: $50 (at least)
Cost of tank: $10+
Regulator: $10
Tools: $20
Welding Supplies: $10 (given you already have a welding machine/Oxy torch handy)
Total: $100

Or you can buy a good, safe, leak free setup for $69.....

have tank, it just needs unhoooked and emptyed
fridge compressor=not using
welding= my bro has a friend who welds stuff so he can borrrow it
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 10:49 PM UTC
Dude...DON'T DO IT. You risk everything for a hobby compressor that will probably work like crap. Spend the little bit of extra money, and get a REAL and TESTED compressor. Ones that blow up are not REAL compressors.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 10:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dude...DON'T DO IT. You risk everything for a hobby compressor that will probably work like crap. Spend the little bit of extra money, and get a REAL and TESTED compressor. Ones that blow up are not REAL compressors

David, trust me - I share your frustration. It seems that Luke's mind is made up and he is incapable of listening to any kind of sensible or experienced advice. So there is only one thing left say..

Luke, where do you want the flowers sent?..Jim
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 11:03 PM UTC
well 2 things I have a strict model budget and I know that the cheap ones are noisy and are worht [auto-censored]
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 916 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 11:43 PM UTC
Bad Idea!
BAD IDEA!!
BAD IDEA!!!

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 12:13 AM UTC
R.I.P.

It's your funeral man. By the way, a funeral or Doctors' bills will cost a whole lot more than that $69 compressor set-up as well.

Save your allowance and get a commercial one. None of us were able to get the really expensive ones at first either. Hell, I used an old, blue plastic Badger airbrush hooked up to an old tire that I took down to the corner gas station to fill up till I could afford a good airbrush and compressor set-up. The airbrush even came with the adapter for the tire valve for the air hose.

Have some patience and save up to get the right (ie. safe) equipment.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 01:14 AM UTC
Luke I can say that your idea has been done before but its still not the best idea. (I’m not positive I hope I’m not the one that gave you the idea)

I’m not saying it’s a good idea but I know my grandfather uses an empty acetylene tank (the big ones from a cutting torch) as an air tank when he painted his helicopter and I believe thats all he used it for.
I don’t think it was refilled to many times.
But relies this is also the man the once tried hanging live wires standing on a metal latter.

Now if there’s no stopping you from using a propane tank I will say that just opening the valve and walking away is not going to get it empty. Trust me.
When I was younger me and a few buddies would take empty (and some times full) propane bottles (the small ones for torches) to farms (we did have the farmers permission) with coyote problems and hide it in the middle of a field someplace with some bait and then set up a small cement block “bunker” at a far end of the field. At night one the coyotes would come around one of us would pop up and fire a tracer into the bottle.
Some times they wouldn’t do anything but most often they would either blow up or fly off in some random direction. Even had one flay off and then blow up.
Now luckily none of us were ever hurt doing so which is probably a miracle. But I can say it was very stupid to do.
Now I told you this simply to point out that I have seen what can happen to a living creature even just relatively close to one of these things when it goes off and its not pretty. The shrapnel can be extremely sharp and deadly.
If you don’t believe me I have a picture of a groundhog caught by a similar but smaller device. Now I wont post the picture here but if you wish PM me your Email Address and I’ll try sending it to you. But be warned its very graphic but could be exactly what happens to you if a metal take blows.

Now it you want a better idea then a metal tank get an tire (presumably a truck tire) and rig something up so you can stick your airbrush on it. It should work until you can save up for something better and will be cheaper then rigging up a metal tank. It will also be a lot safer considering if it does explode the flying ruber is a lot less likely to hurt you then flying metal.
fastfoodkill
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hi,

I have to agree with many of the other folks - propane is way to dangerous to mess with.

I got tired of using a compressor, water traps, etc. and settled for a CO2 bottle. Nothing beats silent, completely dry, precisely regulated gas pressure. It's also a lot cheaper (at the rate I build), than buying a high-end compressor. The gas lasts a remarkable amount of time as well. If you pick up a used one somwhere (Craigs list, etc), make certain that it's approved under the current standard the gas suppliers are held to. Otherwise, they'll charge you for a replacement...

Harbor Freight stores carry inexpensive regulators.

Good luck in whichever air supply you choose, whether it's a compressor or CO2.

Tom
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 03:22 AM UTC
Trust me and get a commercial one... Yes they might be Noisy...... BUT only when the tank needs filled..... ant not much more than an Older refidgerator............
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 04:08 AM UTC
my daqd read this and said no but that I could use the thing he uses to fill his tires but it doesn't have a pressure regulator ant suggestions???

and I got the Testors "spraygun" today for $20 at wal-mart!!!
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 04:33 AM UTC
Go back to WalMart. They sell Campbell Hausfeld 7 gal. air tanks for $19.No noise at all and it's safe. I used one of these for years, filling it at the local service station. You can also get a cheap regulator ot WalMart or a home improvement/hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc).

That Testors "spray gun" is junk, but you'll find that out soon enough. Only good for overall coverage ... forget about any kind of camo.

SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 04:49 AM UTC
I'm planning on using it for base coats priming yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah

What is the best free thinner(rubbing alchohol,water,etc.) for acrylics?
markm
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 05:02 AM UTC
You can use alcohol for Tamiya. Vallejo, Lifecolor can use water. Model Master may or may not need to be thinned.

PS-You should Thank your dad for saying no-he probably saved your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PS-You should Thank your dad for saying no-he probably saved your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Truer words have probably never been spoken...

Thinned alcohol works well for acrylics.

SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 05:58 AM UTC
OK then
markm
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 06:50 AM UTC
Luke, just to let you know. I am not trying to sound like a prick toward you. Neither is anyone else who responded to this with negative comments. Some of us have seen the bad side to using home made tools and contracptions. I have seen hands and arms severed and faces disfigured from people trying to mess with propane tanks of all kinds. I saw several idiots blow themselves up while trying to cook dope. And they didnt even try to alter the containers in any way. The stuff can be volitile and when you try to mess with it other than its intended purpose you stand a major risk of something BAD happening.
Make the best of what you have available to use right now and most of all have fun with it
See ya,
Mark
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 08:52 AM UTC
I just need to find out how to hook up apressure regulator to the car tire inflator of my dads and then hook my "spraygun" to it

Mark your not a prick
markm
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 09:13 AM UTC
I am not sure about how to hook up a regulator, but you can use your airbrush to do camo. Just cut patterns in a small piece of cardboard. I used to use the back of notepads. Spray through the cutout and instant camo.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 06:09 PM UTC
Glad to see your going about it in a safer way.

As other have said hooking up a regulator should be very easy.
Do you have a regulator yet? If not you can take the compressor and sprayer with you to get one. The guys at the shop should be able to get you exactly what you need.

Oh and if you find you need any fittings let me know. I cant guarantee I’ll have what you need but we have a crap load of fittings for regulators back in the garage.

Let us know if you have any problems setting it up. I’m sure we can help you with any problems.
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 07:17 PM UTC
the compressor attachment for the SG is is larger than the the thing you put on the tire that put air in the tire so before I even go get a prssure regulator I need to know if I need to get an attachment to help me attach the regulator to the hose thingy