Coleman propane tank compressor question
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 08:21 PM UTC
Ok luck. I have 2 questions.
1st is the piece on the end of the spray gun meant to be used on a aircan or compressor?
I know a lot of there airbrushing items are set up to go onto a can and need an adapter to use on a compressor.

Also can the end of the compressor that goes on the tire stem be removed?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
Somewhere I've got a Badger attachment that hooks a tire inner tube to an airbrush line. I can look for it if you need it.
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 747 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 11:29 PM UTC
Robert sure please look for it.
Jacob the hose is attached to the spraygun and is not removeable and the first attatchment is also unremoveable and is for the aircan. And I don't know but it is our only one so I'm not going to find out.

I have another question. Is a pressure gauge needed if there is a lever/switch on the tire filler thing that I can use to control the PSI?
Because the instruction manual for the Testors Spraygun says "If using a compressor, 20-25 PSI is recomended, do not use pressure above 60 PSI." and the thing has a clearly labled thing that the lever/switch stops at marked "20 PSI"

BTW the set is the Testors 8821X Airbrush Set if that helps anybody.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 02:24 AM UTC
Ok luke.
For the compressor end coming off I meant by a quick release of screw off so I’m assuming it doesn’t. In that case you will need an attachment like the one Robin has.

I’m not positive but you may need an adapter that fits into the end on the spray gun (that goes on the can) that will allow it to fasten to normal air hose adapters. I’m not sure if your set has one or not.
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 747 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 02:32 AM UTC
Jacob the set came with a compressor adapter
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 01:10 AM UTC
At Matt's suggestion, I'm posting a response on this same basic subject which I had posted earlier in a different thread. I have a small "hobby" style compressor, which for a while I hooked directly up to my air brush with predictable results. So I constructed a home made "tank" out of PVC pipe with glued on end caps and some threaded fitting's. I bought some standard "quick" connect fittings purchased at the local "orange" big box hardware store, and the rest of the stuff (the regulator and pressure gage) were purchased used. Since I live in a fairly large metropolitan area with lot's of commercial shops it wasn't too hard to find what I needed. As the table in link Matt provided, PVC pipe of 6" diameter which I used is good to at LEAST 100 psi, and my compressor won't go over about 45.

Here's the text of my original posting:

I made my storage tank out of a 4 foot section of PVC pipe about 6" in diameter. You can get end caps for both ends, and seal the whole thing up with purple PVC glue. I've tapped in two threaded holes on either side of the top of the cap, and inserted some galvanized pipe with teflon tape around the threads and a standard "quick disconnect" fitting on the ends. It's mounted vertically on the wall with some brackets. I even put in a pet cock at the bottom to drain out any built up moisture.

I connect the hose running from the compressor to one of the tank fittings, and I have a regulator attached to the other side (also mounted with a quick disconnect fitting). From the regulator, I attach my supply line to the air brush.

I have NO idea how much pressure that sucker will take but I know it's WAY more than the 45 psi or so my compressor can handle. (I tapped a third hole at the very top of the tank and put in a separate gage to measure just tank pressure.)

Edit: Now I know, it' s at least over 100.

I start the compressor, hook it up to the "tank" and let it charge for a while. After the pressure gets to about 35 or so, I set the regulator to the desired airbrush pressure (12-14 psi or so) and off I go. I usually just let the compressor keep running while I paint as that doesn't seem to bother it. Endless supply of constant pressure air, since the tank is large enough to damp out any pulses friom the compressor.

When I'm done, I turn off the regulator, disconnect the air brush, shut off the compressor, and disconnect the feed line. The tank isn't TOTALLY air tight, as it will bleed off over the next 15 minutes or so, but it's good enough.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP