Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
New Army Combat Uniform Cost
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 06:01 AM UTC
Just finished tallying up my cost for the new digital camouflaged ACU. Bottom line is that it cost me $418 to fully equip two sets and accessories. No, the Army does not pay for officer's uniforms. They give us $300 at commissioning (18 yrs ago).

2 ACU shirts: $73.90
2 ACU pants: $69.10
ACU patrol cap: $6.90
New style tan boots: $99.95 (paid an extra $6 for the Corcoran brand)
6 tan T-shirts: $26.10
Tan rigger belt: $3.15
2 unit patches: $6.80
2 combat patches: $12.70
2 flag patches: $6.80
2 ACU LTC rank: $1.90
2 name tapes: $5.00
2 US Army tapes: $5.00
Airborne wings: $2.00 (couldn't find my old subdued one)
Total = $418.30

And I have to have four sets by 2008.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 06:05 AM UTC
Man I am glad I retired..
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 06:08 AM UTC
Yeah and I've heard mixed reviews about them from soldiers. The National Guard recruiter for my ROTC battalion has already got his and one of the guys on my floor understands that he is being issued a set when he goes through basic this summer.

Did soldiers have to pay for BDUs (or DCUs for that matter) when they were issued?

BTW, have you seen the Air Force's? There is a nice image comparision of it to a Hawaiian shirt but I couldn't find it, so this'll have to do:

Jeff
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 06:23 AM UTC
Soldiers get issued the new uniform at basic training. Most likely four sets. Same deal with BDUs when they first came out. Enlisted Soldiers already in get a yearly uniform allotment to purchase new uniforms.

I was issued BDUs when I went to basic training in 1983. Four sets of the original version, often referred to as the "Elvis Collar" because of the large size of the uniform collar. Not counting the addition of the rip stop hot weather material, we went through at least three iterations of BDUs to get to the current version that is being phased out.

I normally buy two new sets of BDUs every year, one hot weather and one temperate weather uniform. Then I have to buy and sew on all the patches and insignia, eight of them per uniform. That probably cost me around $70+ per BDU uniform per year. I did not buy two sets in 2005 in anticipation of the new uniform.

Saw the comical Air Force uniform when I was stationed at an AFB. Not very good looking by any stretch.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 06:36 AM UTC
Interesting.

Around here, the dry cleaners will sew the patches on for free to cadets. The 2 pair of tops that I was issued for an FTX in a couple of weeks already had them sewn on (minus rank, since I'm uncontracted...for now ).

Jeff
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hola Rob,

Thats not tooo bad concidering if you were a civilian you'd spend that much or more for one decent suit, tie and shoes...

I really like the new ACU's, very smart design, now I havent wore it for a few days in the field, but it all makes pretty good sense...well everything except the one camo that "fits everywhere" instead it fits no where perfectly :-)

I dont even want to get started on the AF uniform....starship troopers anyone?
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 07:21 AM UTC
Well the biggest grip I've heard is that pulling them out of the dryer makes them incredibly wrinkled and the velcro has stuck to each other crumpling it up. I am wondering how long the velcro is lasting in the deserts with all the sand.

Jeff
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 07:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

2 ACU shirts: $73.90
2 ACU pants: $69.10
ACU patrol cap: $6.90
New style tan boots: $99.95 (paid an extra $6 for the Corcoran brand)
6 tan T-shirts: $26.10
Tan rigger belt: $3.15
2 unit patches: $6.80
2 combat patches: $12.70
2 flag patches: $6.80
2 ACU LTC rank: $1.90
2 name tapes: $5.00
2 US Army tapes: $5.00
Airborne wings: $2.00 (couldn't find my old subdued one)

Being enlisted: Priceless

(and no longer having to sew on thirteen patches)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 07:45 AM UTC
Gawd - stop pickin' on the USAF uniform!

Gunnie :-)
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 07:49 AM UTC
I only make fun of the AF when they screw up...they screwed up here. :-) I mean, who in the air force needs camo? Okay MP and combat controllers. I bet they'll blend into the surrounding bushes or desert well wearing blue. You guys are funny.

Jeff
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, it all comes down to the reason for changing uniforms. The Marines updated their uniform to look different from Army Soldiers on the ground, and added updated features based on their current ground combat experience.

The Army changed the uniform to streamline logistics and, believe it or not, alleviate costs to the troops. The uniform was designed to replace the hot weather BDU, temperate weather BDU and the DCU. Only one uniform to have in the supply system instead of three.

The wash and wear properties eliminate the need for laundering. I've been stationed at places where the cost is $6.75 to $4.60 a set to clean. Multiply that amount by 52+ weeks and you get an idea of the annual savings a Soldier has by not sending the uniform to the cleaners.

The Velcro was added to save the cost of sewing. On average, sewing on a unit patch, name, Army tape, rank, and flag cost about $12. This amount goes up if there is a combat patch and any special skill badges. Additionally, if a uniform needs replacing in the field, the use of Velcro negates the need to find a sewing machine to prepare the uniform for wearing.

The Air Force just decided to change their uniform for the sake of changing it because the Army and Marines were doing it. They chose the pattern for the "looks cool" factor and not for any operational reason. And it didn't look very cool at all and they went back to remake a uniform that looks like the ACU.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, it's perfect camo for a blue jean factory! :-) :-) :-)

Rob:

Sorry, but you won't get much love from me on your most recent uniform bill. I was enlisted, so I received a pittance uniform allowance, but I know it didn't cover everything, despite what the Army wanted us to believe.

When I enlisted in 77 I was issued two perma-press pickle suits and two sets of starch fatigues. Of course, we could never wear the starch fatigues (except occasionally when hiding in the motor pool for the day), so I had to buy two more pairs of pickles. Anyone who wore them knows they wore out so fast it was unbelieveable -- usually the pocket that held your wallet or keys wore out first, followed by the posket you carried your smokes or chew in.

Then the dress green shirts replaced the khakis (my personal favorite uniform) and the tan dress shirts, so drop a few more dollars. By about 1980, I had finally finished puberty and bulked up a bit, so I needed new Class As and decided to go with the polyester (I was an NCO by then). Tailored with West Point cuffs, etc., one coat and two trousers cost a bit, but they wore like iron, even in the rain (probably be buried in those some day). Of course, I had to get new everything to go with these, including the Corfam low quarters. Also had to get a black sweater, black jacket and (the shapeless) black rain/overcoat

Then BDUs came out. We liked them, but we still had to buy them. Then someone wisely figured out they were too heavy to wear in a hot environment (I was stationed in Arizona at the time), but they couldn't make the hot-weather BDUs fast enough, so we were allowed to buy and wear Vietnam-era OD jungle fatigues, so we did. Plus the jungle boots. Then we bought the Hot Weather BDUs when they came out.

Then I went to Alaska. The ECWCS (Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System) came out and was issued to all divisional troops. I was garrison, so did not get the issue, but still had to go to the field as often as the division kids ... so down to Clothing Sales to drop quite a few bucks on Gortex and polypros. Plus Herman Survivor mountain boots. And Air Force muk-luks for driving. Household Six was NOT happy, but hey, a guy's gotta stay warm and in style.

There were plenty of other things, too. Stuff I needed because all the other kids had them (or I downright needed them and Uncle wouldn't issue them to me -- like a machete and a poncho liner for Alaska summers in the field).

What's funny is I still have lots of this stuff (issued and purchased) and some of it is considered "militaria," so maybe my kids can someday sell it on EBay.

Rob -- don't look at it as a waste of money ... look at as an investment in your children's future. You know the gear you buy today will be replaced by something else in 5-10 years. Also, think of all the money (and time for modeling) you'll save on Kiwi not having to polish those new boots!

EDIT: Household Six = SWMBO It's a military thing, with the callsign "Six" being reserved for the commander. I used to call her the "Household Chief of Staff," carelessly assuming I was the commander, but one day I was corrected.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 09:02 AM UTC
Never said it was a waste of money. I was just laying out the minimum price of the entire ensemble. I was surprized at the total. My pay raise from my last promotion more than covers the entire bill, and that's for just one month (O4 over 22 to O5 over 22, I'll let you check the charts).

I remember the pickle suits. We had to wear them in ROTC for uniformity (just as freshmen). I even have two sets of the old jungle fatigues hanging in my closet.

Did the Gortex jacket (on my second one), Matterhorn boots, Graf jacket, etc. to stay warm and dry as well.

Did the three types of dress greens, original issue wool, polyester officer's uniform for commissioning and new color they introduced in 1998 or so along with the new shirt.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 09:21 AM UTC
Roger that, Rob.

I'm just pointing out that it seems to be a never-ending cycle. If you can't laugh at it, you might as well cry. Now that I'm an Army civilian, I spend more on clothes now than I ever did when I wore a uniform. And it's so much easier when you don't have to decide what to wear to work. Gosh, I used to have two ties -- one black four-in-hand for the Army and another for civilian use. Now ....

BTW, I almost bought the Matterhorns (I think they called them Fort Lewis boots, too), but ran out of money. I wore out the Hermans from the inside out ... that's some tough leather they made them out of ...

Personally, I don't like the ACUs because the rank is so hard to see. Staring and squinting at someone's chest to determine their rank ... not good, especially if the soldier is a woman.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 07:04 PM UTC
For me, the hardest part is seeing the black rank on dark BDUs. For the ACUs, I don't care if its small, all I need to know is whether they are an NCO or an officer so as to address them properly. I can always default to "Sergeant" if I can't see that they are "Sergeant First Class." Though I suppose a much more practical solution is to memorize their faces! I have most of the officers down, but 3 or 4 transferred in at semester, so... . Luckily we don't have anyone below the rank of SFC in the battalion, so I can "guess" . Just kidding.

Jeff
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, have you seen the Air Force's? There is a nice image comparision of it to a Hawaiian shirt but I couldn't find it...

Here is a link to the Hawaiian shirt page, but the Air Force changed that uniform to the one in my bottom link: http://www.strategypage.com/humor/articles/military_jokes_2004630.asp

New "new" USAF uniform, notice they tried to copy the Army's ACU colors to some extent: http://www.af.mil/news/story_media.asp?storyID=123010638
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 09:23 PM UTC
Well Jeff - all I can say was I was a USAF Security Policeman - and I needed my BDU's. They were issued for a "purpose". Same applies for the PJ's.

Everyone else, well...

For me, it isn't what looks "cool" - it's about the man or woman filling the clothing...

Gunnie
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:12 PM UTC
Rob, I sure hope that you're able to itemize your deductions. If you are, PLEASE tell me you're writing these off as a business expense on the Employee non reimbursed business expense schedule 2106. Along with your weekly cleaning bill.

As a "civilian" I was not able to write off the cost of clothing, but as a "soldier" since my employer REQUIRED certain uniform items and they were REQUIRED to be maintained in certain condition, those expenses are tax deductible. BTW, doesn't your employer REQUIRE certain standards of personal grooming (like a hair cut to a certain standard on a recurring basis)...............?

Tom
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:15 PM UTC
Jim, I more than agree that the select security and ground combat units in the AF need BDUs, its the mechanics that need utilites but not necessarily camo. I just think it'll look darn funny with a bunch of mechanics pouring over an F/A-22 or what have you in these new uniforms

Jeff
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim, I more than agree that the select security and ground combat units in the AF need BDUs, its the mechanics that need utilites but not necessarily camo. I just think it'll look darn funny with a bunch of mechanics pouring over an F/A-22 or what have you in these new uniforms

Agreed. I was in service when the SP's and the PJ's turned in their Fatigues for the BDU in the late 1980's. I really, really, liked the old Fatigues - they were really comfortable. I didn't mind the new BDU's either - but the "uniform snobbery" from other service branches was a bit tiresome initially. It almost "felt" like SP's in joint service exercises had to "prove" they deserved to wear BDU's. That experience caused me to share the same sentiment(s) for other USAF job specialities.

For what seems a really short time, these two classifications were the only USAF users of the BDU - until the complaints came in from other job specialties. I don't know why Accounting & Finance Personnel "needed" BDU's - especially when it came to Air Base Ground Defense operations - they didn't want any part of it, like the easiest of all (filling sand bags) was a sin. They guys and gals did make adequate "casualties" for base exercises though...

At least the USAF drew the line when they all wanted to be issued Berets...

Gunnie
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 12:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[Here is a link to the Hawaiian shirt page, but the Air Force changed that uniform to the one in my bottom link: http://www.strategypage.com/humor/articles/military_jokes_2004630.asp

New "new" USAF uniform, notice they tried to copy the Army's ACU colors to some extent: http://www.af.mil/news/story_media.asp?storyID=123010638

The 'Hawaiian' version looks like the old tigerstripe cam to me, just in blue tones. And the 'new' version looks like they just blew the pattern up and then pixellated it.

It's funny, but over here in SL, we laugh at our SLAF Regiment cos they wear US woodland pattern in blue/grey 'dawn stalker' colour scheme. Only in the rear though. Up in the warzone, both Air Force and Navy wear regular woodland.

It's also a sort of status thing here. Leg units wear US woodland, but SF wear British DPMs or even Pakistani patterns
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was issued BDUs when I went to basic training in 1983.

Robin,

Where did you do basic at?
I did mine in '83 also. February - June at Ft. Benning, Ga. (B-10-2 in Harmony Church).

I just had to buy a set of the new ACUs also...our SWAT team is going to them with the ACU boots as well.
Haven't fingured out why just yet, but my department is reimbursing me, so I can't complain!
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 10:19 AM UTC
Ugly is all I can say about the ACU's. NG soldiers and some recruiters in my area also agree.
It doesn't blend anywhere (I've taken my set out in the woods in three different states and to SoCal).
As far as the features go, they do have their uses, but velcro? Imagine going out on a night Op and then your patch snags...clever idea. And the pain of getting them straight on the uniform. I can just imagine.
The USMC did a great job coming out with two patterns; and it doesn't look like pea soup puke either.

btw, I just collect military gear nowadays and had to have a set. Even the ugly ones.
airbornematt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 07:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally, I don't like the ACUs because the rank is so hard to see. Staring and squinting at someone's chest to determine their rank ... not good, especially if the soldier is a woman.

really? I had the opposite. It was hard for me to see rank on the BDU's where as on the ACU's it's alot easier. Every one is getting their ACU's now that we're only months away from deploying. I get my intial issue in May. That didn't stop me from buying a set though (I like having extra on hand, I've been in the Army for 18 months and I have 8 sets of BDU's)
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 03:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was issued BDUs when I went to basic training in 1983.

Robin,

Where did you do basic at?
I did mine in '83 also. February - June at Ft. Benning, Ga. (B-10-2 in Harmony Church).

E-2-2 August '82. We should form a club. Everyone knows we had it better than the dudes at Sand Hill, with their damned pneumonia causing AC.