Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How many kits in your stash?
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 07:00 PM UTC
About 50 kits which are 1/48 aircraft and 1/35 armour. Also about another 100 boxes of figures, vehicle accessory sets, dio buildings and rubble which don't count because there not kits ( well that's what i tell the Beloved :-) ).
Andy (++)
armorstuv
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 164 Posts
KitMaker Network: 99 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 07:46 PM UTC
Well over 500 kits, mainly armor and figures in 1/35. A dabble here and there in fixed wing and those floating cities . As for the better half, it drove her crazy and now our son has taken an interest in plastic as well.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
entire network: 5,653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 07:59 PM UTC
Hi all!

I should reach the 200 mark soon. About 150 are 1/48 WW2 Aircraft kits and 50 1/48 vehicles, ground crews, bases and accessories. My initial goal was not to pass the 100 kit in my stash mark!

Jean-Luc
Rigger
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 08:16 PM UTC
Hello all ;

I have about 150 or so covering ships, armour, and aircraft.
Most of armour 1/35, aircraft 1/72, 1/48, 1/32. ships 1/350, 1/200, 1/144 subs. I have a whole lot of must haves to buy still.
I nomally get kits about 3 to 6 months after they come out , its cheaper then.

Rigger ...................
FrogFoot
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 08:22 PM UTC
I have not counted them for awhile but I think close to three hundred.
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 08:28 PM UTC
How many kits? No idea, but they take up way to much space :-)

Erik
Faewin
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 8 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 08:35 PM UTC
Not many here

In fact until yesterday I had none but then I'vre only been doing it for 2 years, well only a few months really as I picked up the hobby again xmas 2004 but then did nothing for most of 2005 and have started again for real now since xmas

Got 3 well in progress 1 just started and 2 new ones I just bought... problem is I buy a new one then wanna open and start it straight away
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
Not more tha 350 for the happiness of my wife!!!
Ciao
Fabio
Romeo12
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:13 PM UTC
During my last inventory,almost 600 kits,and I wouldn't dare to guess about aftermarket stuff,can't use the retirement plea any longer cause now I AM retired.My wife doesn't say anything as long as I keep them stored out the way(storage building)She has been very supportive of the whole thing.Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.I did show her the 1/16 guys and RC fellows and told her it could be lots worse. :-)
ViperAtl
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 331 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:19 PM UTC

During the last year/year and a half I have been doing a rough inventory and thinning of inventory. I sent about 60 or so kits to Afghanistan c/o SSgt. D. Roof, USMC few months back, maybe a year now. Will not use the write off for taxes either. Most were old kits that have been replaced by new production kits.

Recently boxed more to the attic and some to "Deals Table" at the local hobby store for store credit.

Current rough inventory is around 350 or so. Mostly aircraft and armor. I have stack of DML German halftracks up to my waist, higher with the AFV Club kits. I don't have the entire inventory either so it's scary. Also have some ships, subs, a few car kits and SWMBO favorite, Bimbo Babe figures. Researched at home and local adult entertainment centers. Beers are optional.

We do have a guy in the Atlanta area that has over 18K kits in his house. It's an estimate but it's been reported by several people. Talk about a fire hazard and potential waste site.

Buying habit is now 1kit of whatever released, no multiples unless for conversions (now 4 Tamiya T-55).
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:34 PM UTC
Well i don't have 600, 300, 200, 150, not even 50.......wait for it.......... i have ............ 3.
Yep three kits that's what i have impressive ha :-)
you never now i might even add to that this week

You guys must either have the biggest houses or you all live in the corner of a room and not come out for w eeks :-)

redleg
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,544 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC
1 spouse, around 45 models in the stash, but I am sure that I have MORE t hat are started with a ton of aftermarket stuff, but NOT finished.

Chris
abbiesz71
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 38 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:43 PM UTC
How many kits? Either way too many or not nearly enough! :-) Somewhere around a hundred consisting of cars, planes, armor, softskins, artillery, ships, sci fi and train stuff. Covering just about all the scales. SWMBO currently has me under a "Model Buying Ban" until I finish her Camaro. Of course I found a way around that. My Dad has been buying stuff for his railroad layouts and sending them to me to build and he has been including some requested kits for me.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:47 PM UTC
The Official count reported is 50. The actual count is closer to 200. NOT including resin figures and accessories like PE, transfers, barrels etc.
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 10:43 PM UTC
None!

I am working on several models at once.

Lots of work in progress, nothing will be finalised soon

Still, i do not buy anything that i do not plan to start building right away.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 11:02 PM UTC
Las time this thread came around i was just over 100, now its about 160. BUT.....I am sneaky about it. My brand new trumpeter KV-1 has 3 sets of russian figures stashed away inside it. Cut the box art off, slip it inside the larger AFV box and whammo...no one is the wiser. And your putting them together (set of tankers with the tank) just makes sense..wink wink! I have a bunch of AC that when u open it up there are 2 P-51's etc in the box instead of one. Those new Dragon kits are so stuffed with parts though you can't double up at all!
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 11:05 PM UTC
Hi all,
Yes, I am a collector and part time builder. Here is an approxiamate list of what I have:
-over 100 figure sets in plastic and resin
-about 60 armor, softskin and heavy weapons kits
above in 1/35
-12 1/16th scale figures
-about a dozen kits in 1/72nd scale
a lot of decal sets
1 plane (how'd that get their)
and 1 large scale motorcycle.

My wife is very supportive of my hobby, she says its my money and as long as I have the bills paid up she's happy. :-)
But, as Dragon, AFV Club, Tristar and Tasca/Bego are come out with new kits, I'm shedding my Tamiya stuff. So my collection varies.

So that is what I have.

Chris hehehehe!
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 11:11 PM UTC
I just recently counted (recounted ) and I have 120 crammed into my closet. Wife doesnt mind cause at least she can keep an eye on me
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 12:55 AM UTC
Right now I am closing in on 300 kits, 291 to be exact if I count all the sets of figures as well.

And out of all of that, there are very few doubles. Only doubles that cross my mind are Academy 1/35 British Warrior, and Hobbycraft 1/72 Avro Arrow, of which is actually a triple, but to a Canuck, you can never have too many Arrows.

And its a smattering of everyting from cars to ships, armor to aircraft, and some Sci Fi.

Now some may look and say, "but you have 5 M1 Abrams, and 5 Challangers, and 7 M113s." Yes, but they are all of different varients. None are exactly the same kit.

I will admit, that I have slowed down somewhat, and I am very picky and choosey as to what I buy now.

And as far as the better half is concerned, well to her, I could be out spending the money on other more destructive things like drinking and smoking and causing trouble at the bars.

As it is, I am here in my little room, at worst getting a little buzz from the glue or the lacquer paint....lol
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 02:07 AM UTC
Oh boy, lets see…
52 (1/35-1/48) Helicopter kits,
13 (1/35) different armor kits,
10 (1/32-1/48) different Aircraft kits,
27 1/35 Verlinden figures, mostly Vietnam.
7 1/35 DML figures, mostly pilots.
Many resin and photo-etch sets.
And an easy couple hundred car models, mostly Drag Racing kits.

jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 02:57 AM UTC
Gosh with that many kits all of you have, what do you do with it apart from stacking it nicely in the closet?

Ive got about 5 kits in total, 2 of which i hope to complete this year. I dont exactly have alot of space for anymore.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
only 6(yup after 8 modeling years) and 3 kits i need to paint but my supplies on paint are very low and my airbrush is missing an o ring on the plugner because it cracked, so i will have to get a new one, also i migh buy a badger 100Lg or iwata hp-c plus.

So my main concern is running out of kits, paint and tools... but most important money

Thank god im spending the spring break working!

Frank
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 03:10 AM UTC
You know, I've stopped counting. I think there is between 100 and 150, but there may be more. Or there may even be less (but I doubt it )

Of course, now I'm getting into resin conversion for some of the kits in the stash
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 03:31 AM UTC
Man, you guys make me feel like a slacker. I only have 37 unbuilt and 1 on the bench. Buy hey, I could be spending my money on wild women and booze. I know the wife would much prefer that! :-)
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 03:37 AM UTC
This many

Dave