_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Modeling Dilema
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
entire network: 311 Posts
KitMaker Network: 98 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 08:52 PM UTC
I have the same syndrome that every other modler has, I can't stop myself from buying kits. My problem is that being in the military I move alot, and well the boss (my wife) doesn't like me dragging all my junk along and filling up cabinet and shelves with modeling junk. So my question is this. Do most of you guys specialize in one specific subject such as one type of tank with variations, one specific time frame, one specific side such as axis or allies. I see models built by others and think that would be a good kit to build. So of course I buy it and then hear why are you buying more models when you haven't built the ones you have. And of course she is right because it sits on the shelf because I see another kit I must have. And God help me if I am visiting the States and Hobby Lobby is having a 50% off sale on their models. Last time it cost me $200 and most of those kits are patiently waiting on the shelf wondering if they will be next. I also think that www.Squadron.com knows me by name.

I know the majority of answers will be to build what I enjoy building, but was wondering if there was any other inputs. I enjoy building light tanks of both sides for several reasons. Mostly because they are small and usually a quicker build. Thats not to say I have 2 tigers, 2 shermans, and a whole lot of other kits waiting to be built. Anyway tell me what you think.

Later,
Ryan
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 09:01 PM UTC
I keep asking myself the same question. I keep swearing that I'm going to severly limit kit buying this year, reduce the stash, finish all the half done kits I've started. Usually by year's end I've got 4 or 5 more kits in the stash than when I started and those same old half done kits are still sitting there.I was doing pretty well this year until dragon started coming out with all those 3 in 1's and an interest in Soviet WW2 armor. I did suceed in finishing one old kit and got some major work on another which actually may make it to final completion this year.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 01:35 AM UTC
The only way I can even begin to think that I might get to finish ALL the models in my stash is to lay out my building by priority. I have developed a program that works for me. First, I am focusing on resin and multi-media models. Second, I am building 1 AFV and 1 aircraft together at a time. Third, I have broken down the rest of my stash into groups of builds so that there is a planned, organized way to attack the pile. Yes, there is also a subjective aspect to the priority, I made sure that the ones I am building first are the ones I REALLY want to build first. The rest are interesting but not the HAVE TO that the first ones are. Hope that helps
capnjock
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 01:43 AM UTC
I can't really speak for the rest of the lads, and lasses, but I guess I'm pretty lucky in that my modelling interest is predominantly figures (which don't take up much space in kit form or built up). My armour interest is really only WW2 British Empire/Commonwealth and only North Africa and Europe at that.

Rudi

p.s. that's not to say that I won't buy anything out of this scope... but it really must be something special or unique... for example like South African military interest subjects....
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:11 AM UTC
Ola Ryan

Well I used to buy everything I saw and liked but then I got a sort of special interest in panzer 1 and it`s variants and other early war German Armor. The Tanks are smaller and so are the boxes. That doesn`t mean of course I`m only buying Panzer 1`s or other early war AFV`s....... nope. Usually I see a nice pic which is begging me to be built..... then I buy the vehicles. And other reference when needed. But I try to limit the choice of vehicles as early war as possible.

I still need more space. Luckily I don`t move that often.

Braystaff
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 154 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:21 AM UTC
I've about 8 German WW2 kits just waiting to be done. I tend to build just a small selection of vehicles from that era that I really like - Panzer IV's and its variations (Stug IVs etc), AA guns and anti-tank guns, and I've several Sd.Kfz 250's (my favourite) and 251's and also Kubelwagens

Also I'm a big fan of float and seaplanes and have about another 8 huge aircraft to get round to.

Just bought my first "modern" vehicle kit and it's a Dragon Scud and I really can't wait to get on with this, but now I need some East German or Russian AFV to go with it as I just can't have it sat there all alone. So maybe a nice T-80 and a BTR or 2. Why a Scud - well it's beautiful - so big and mean looking.

I keep saying to myself I must finish all these German tanks before buying anything new, but I see something and think "well they might not have it in stock next week, so I'll have that"

I want to buy some 1/72 now as I'm having less and less time to model and I really hate starting a kit, having to leave it a week or so and then trying to get back into it. That's why I like the smaller kits - a Kubelwagen or an AA gun can be done over a weekend or a week working at night and the Academy Panzers can be done in a bit more time, but they are not as time consuming as a Dragon 3 in 1. OK, many of you out there will say they are rubbish kits, but they cost me £9.99 + £3.50 for a track set and give me a great deal of enjoyment.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:36 AM UTC
Salvo,
My name is Jeff and I'm a modelholic! (Group...Hi Jeff)
It's been about 12 hours since my last sniff of glue.
Seriously...in the last month i have bought : Trumpeter KV-2, AFV Pakwagon, Cyber Hobby DAK Tiger (still waiting on that one, hopefully by Nov. 15th), DML Korsun Pocket, ICM Soviet regimental artillery, Tristar Flak crew, Tamiya 1/35 Pilot and machinegunner ,etc,
My wife just took me to the Hobby shop yesterday, for my birthday, and I bought the DML JS-2 and the DML Windtalkers.
She knows that i have recieved a LOT of stuff in the past couple of months....she pays the credit card bills...but she still supports my hobby. I guess she feels it's a lot cheaper and safer than my previous hobby......drinking and driving!
I work a lot of overtime and can afford to spend some money on modelling. I have built up a stash for the future when I ,God willing, retire.
I usually go to GMWS or Squadron Mail Order because they always have great sales and i can usually get the things i want at 25-50% off.
Luckily, my garage is is large enough to hold the kits i have hoarded there.
Most of my stuff is WWII German, Russian,American and British Armor. I have a couple of 1/48 and 1/32 German Aircraft and a 1/48 modern American plane.
As long as we can pay the bills and live a comfortable lifestyle I don't think my wife will have a problem with my hobby.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:47 AM UTC
I made a deal with my wife. When she stops buying clothes, shoes, etc., I will stop buying models. Needless to say, my collection continues to grow.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Salvo,
My name is Jeff and I'm a modelholic! (Group...Hi Jeff)
It's been about 12 hours since my last sniff of glue.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

For me....well I have a special interest in British/Commonwealth forces....

I just LOVE that ugly but fast and low-profile Cromwell, that big fat Churchill tank with it's thick armour and bad preformance and I really need to get one of those announced Comet kits Also (and don't ask me why)I just like a British Sherman better than a American Sherman

But next to British steel I also like all other WWII subject in both armour and ships, and I also like the Dutch army as model subject (WWII, Dutch East Indies and Modern)

And of course my 1:16 full option RC Pershing but I think that's obvious
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I made a deal with my wife. When she stops buying clothes, shoes, etc., I will stop buying models. Needless to say, my collection continues to grow.

sounds like a deal.... if Mine actually cared..... Unlike my EX
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
entire network: 1,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 188 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 03:26 AM UTC
In my case, i´ve been modelling in stages: first, started with WWII subjects: all kind of vehicles, aircraft and ships. After that, same time frame but only vehicles. After a pause of almost 3 years came the stage I´m currently in, that´s Modern Armor and Vehicles. that´s because I´m kind of lazy in getting historical references to make the model, also you can see the modern vehicles on the net in the news and official pages....
As for the subject of collecting boxes and modelling junk :-), space has always been a problem, moving a lot because i´m in the Navy, and always restricted to small rooms, aboard and in shore facilities. Lucky i´m single yet, but not for long, so i´m start to have the same problems as you:-) :-)
best regards
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 04:12 AM UTC
Been doing the military move thing for 18 years, dragging more kits around than most hobby shops carry. Never had a problem.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 05:20 AM UTC
I moved and had to drag half of my model collection and books with me. Of course I expanded my collection...

Ah, yes, analysis...seeing what you have and what you want...

I'm now discovering that there is just no good reason to buy reference books if I don't intend to build a kit of it. In reality, gun and AFV books are only good for three things: knowledge about the real thing (do you own said gun?), modeling it, or DG talking if you don't own the real thing. If you don't do any of the three, why do you need the book?

I'm sure most of us have other hobbies such as reading, DVDs, video games, CDs, collecting stamps or baseball cards, sports, etc. that take up precious spare change. What brings more happiness?

For me, the truth is that modeling is a form and expression of art. Some may think it's akin to woodshopping, but that's only if you don't paint your kits and just build like a scratchbuilder. Some may think modeling is a form of representation, but that's only if you research and accurize the model to "be" in a museum with PE, resin, and accessories. With these two thoughts in mind, I am realizing that some kits can stand by themselves (I don't want a diorama), and some kits look best on a base or diorama (like figures). Therefore, I am planning to rid myself of those large kits I bought with the intention to diorama because I don't have the room to do this.

I found out that I don't really enjoy building (unless it's creative kitbashing) and want to jump into the painting (the "art"). With that in mind, I'm looking at my stash and seeing how much work I need to do to get to the painting stage, and if the kit will look good after painting. As such, a lot of those large kits I bought solely for projects are going to be sold since I can use smaller models for projects too.

As always, my #1 Rule is this: Don't buy junk, meaning don't buy poor-quality kits because imagine the time and resources spent on such a sad kit just to make it look decent. Of course this philosphy makes selling "winning" kits harder, I do know that all kits I move are 100% easy to build if and when I want to.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 05:28 AM UTC
I have a simple solution at home here, I let the SWMBO buy 2 or 3 items of what she wants (Purses, shoes, photo equip. etc.) and then...she owes me one!

As for buying without building, occupational hazard. No way around it!

Cuhail
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 05:56 AM UTC
My solution is pretty much the same as trisaws, don't buy what you don't really have an interest in, or don't plan to finish. I was about to buy one of them new dragon 3 in 1's, but finally decided I had no interest in building it. It may go together great, but it wouldn't have been enjoyable. I was then about to get dragons M-4a1 sherman, but decided I didn't wan't to fiddle with it's tracks. I finally decided on getting dragons T-34/76 model 1940. Now I wish I hadn't because I have decided it is very ugly, and my references for it are scarce. Just think before you buy.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 06:17 AM UTC
When I buy a kit it is usually for a specific idea I have. Since I tend to have about a hundred different ideas in any given moment I tend to buy a lot of kits. Most of my ideas don't seem to see the light of day so my kit stash just gets bigger every year.

Do I see a problem with it? Not at all. If I don't spend $$$ on models, SWMBO will spend it on some stupid knick knack or something else we definitely don't need.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Something I May or May not get Built.....

or something we definitely don't need.

LOL :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 08:07 AM UTC
i wont mind storing them Then you wont need to carry them around always.

Francois
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 08:14 AM UTC
I know your pain Salvo. I like most Dragon kits of German or Soviet background from WW2. I have about 20 in the stash and I still cruise EBay looking for deals.

Cheers
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 12:19 PM UTC
I have built up a crazy stash too. I have been really good this year about trying to keep ny purchases down to a minimum and trying to actually build some kits.

So far I am doing good. I only buy something if its in my area of interest and if its a deal.

I build mainly allied stuff and only early German. No Zim for me!

rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 12:46 PM UTC
mmmmmmmmmmm

i can see your dilemma, and i commisserate with you.....

i am building vietnam era models, armor, and i have no problem getting more as the chance happens. swmbo asked why i had so many of the same things, and i told her that a platoon is not a small matter, maybe later i will break the news that i want to build a troop dio, mmmmmmmmmm, lemme see, 9 acavs, 3 sheridans per platoon, hq platoon, with 577, medic track, mech track, m578, this could take awhile.....

reb
TheOldGuy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 01:45 PM UTC
My stash is up to about 800 kits but I'm lucky. My wife agrees that there are more expensive hobbies out there. I tend to build one out of every 4 or 5 I buy. The "to be built" stash is getting a bit out of hand but I feel it better then hoping for a re issue of a particular kit in 15 years.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 02:10 PM UTC
I make it a personal goal not to have more than 5 kits in my stash and only one on the bench. I had to break my stash rule when I found an Academy M12 for $15.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 03:17 PM UTC
Do you think that you will really be alive to see all the kits in your stash built? I mean I sit and wonder as I am looking at all my kits, will there be a day when I can say "Whewwww, last one!" and then put it onto the display shelf?

It has to be possible.

~Chip
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 04:20 AM UTC
I try and confine my collection to modern armour (Korean war and newer), American, Russian, IDF and some NATO. Still under 100 kits in my stash. No flak from my wife as she owns a horse and they are alot more expensive than modeling. :-)
 _GOTOTOP