Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
You know you're a modeller when .......
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Armorama is your homepage.

Isn't everyones homepage------ Armorama?????
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 850 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 10:31 AM UTC
Everyone except me, then. Google is my homepage. Though I've been meaning to change it for a while, but for some reason never did.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 12:53 PM UTC
When your LHS (in my case Sprue Brothers) is on speed dial.

If you know why you are supposed to tape a piece of sprue to your xacto knife.

If you have ever thought for even the briefest second that Shep Paine is a god.

If you own 14 sets of PE and have never succesfully used a single one.

If you got your job because of a guy you met at IPMS (true story).

If you don't take a lunch to work cause it would interfere with glue time.

If at some point within the last five days you have seriously considered moving a major piece of furniture so you could display that new BR52 with your K5

If you have ever chosen a restaurant to dine at based on the style of "to go" box they have (it had the kind of wire I needed).

If you have ever mailed an envelope with $.03 worth of plastic in it to hong kong because you have an armorama buddy who needed some vietnam era equipment for a figure.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 08:09 PM UTC
When your model bill is higher than your gasoline bill.

When your thumb can no longer be cut with an Xacto knife.

When bedtime is now 4am on a work night. (It used to be 10pm)

You carry your camera just in case you find the tank, plane or any other subject you are building on the road on your way to work.

You have hundreds of pictures of tires so you can get the colour right.

You know the number of rivets on the project you are building.
Rocketeer
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 51 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 08:50 PM UTC
When you are in St. Tropez France and your wife takes you into a jewelry store and they have amethyst bases that would make great bases for your latest figure.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 09:17 PM UTC
when at work[ i am a paramedic ]you collect the plastic tubes that separate admin sets because they might be used for main gun barrels, or other items for a diorama, as well as the wood dowels.

when you know you have a never ending supply of camo netting available form the non sterile 4x4's.

you get ueine sample containers because they can hold paint because they are leak proof.

when your supervisor wonders aloud why there are drawings on the back of your paperwork.

why your partner wonders why you like to park behind big lots stores, and he watches you eyeball the small toys thrown out.

how you found all you needed to build your workbench while cruising on duty and going by the curbs in the morning and picking up scrap wood.

your wife wonders why you carry containers and a knife for rust scrapings.

reb
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 09:25 PM UTC
You know you are a sculptor when:

You find your self staring at peoples clothing and poses for excessive amounts of time, usually until they give you a very dirty look or nervously moves away...all just to see how different garments wrinkle and how the folds play out, or to find that perfect pose for the next sulpt.

Worst case scenario...some guy winks at you...:-)
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 813 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 07:02 AM UTC
When I renovated my utility room just so I could see my stash..( "but, honey the room really is a mess, I'd really like to organize it...)
I started doing commission work for collectors so I could pay for my addiction... but also I could build kits straight out of the box so I could see where the problems are....
I look at construction vehicles to see how tracks "really" look....
I want to take riding lessons so I can see what it feels like to ride a horse and therefor my mounted figures will be more realistic ( at least I'd like to think so...)
I'm constantly changing my "build plans " for the following year....
And as I'm starting to do professional commissions maybe I could write off trips to contests/museums as work oriented! ( it's worth a try)
Cheers
joker
insolitus
Visit this Community
Goteborgs och Bohus, Sweden
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 11:00 AM UTC
When you enjoy walking with SWMBO to make up shops...

When you have more make up related things than your SWMBO has...

Andreas
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 05:01 PM UTC
when ya are doin the modeling thing, ya msn msg beeps and its a fellow modeller, and your in texas, and he is in scotland. and he isn't fazed that your awake glueing and painting..............

and you have once more compressed time to the point where ya wonder where the family is, ya just told em one more minute....... and its an hour later, and your meal will be burger king again......

reb

simonrw
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 11:07 AM UTC
You know you're a modeller when:-

Before going on holiday to Cornwall, you visit Yell.com and print out a 5 page list of all the model shops.

You enter these into your TomTom Go so they're ready when all the boring visiting gorgeous little fishing villages bit is over.

You're bitterly disappointed when the shop you anticipated visiting is either closed down, closed because it's half-day closing, or sells nothing but model railway stuff....
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 943 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 11:22 AM UTC
:-) very good

you guys crack me up
Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 639 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 12:13 PM UTC
The longest you ever modeled for was longer than 12 hours

while you drive,You concerntrate more on thinking about how to make the dot44 camo, than paying attention on the road....

You keep refreshing the page hopeing someone would reply to your thread right after you posted it...
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 01:01 PM UTC
You know your a modeler when...

-its saturday morning, your girlfriend slept over, so you lent her your room and went to sleep upstairs because mom doesnt allow you to sleep with her yet, and instead of waking up early to continue your sleep with her you wake up early to finish working on your 3in1 tiger(yeah.... the tiger addiction i call it, is hteir such thing as cheating on swmbo with a plastic tank?)

Yeah well , i defenatly need to check my priority's over.
Model or women? model or women?
then again, its not any old model, its a 3in1 tiger :-)
Francois
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:56 AM UTC
You know you're a modeller when:
You go on vacation and look for hobby shops instead of tourist attractions.

Drag the wife to Aberdeen Proving Grounds and make her pose for pictures in front of AFVs all day (and then spend an excruciating couple of hours with her at Havre d'Grace looking for antiques ....uggh!)

Slice your finger open with your hobby knife then fill the gap with super glue and sand it down (good as new!)

See something interesting and wonder if they make a kit of it in 1/35..and if not WHY NOT!?.

That's all!
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
entire network: 1,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 188 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
You know when you´re a modeller when:

1.- Your girlfriend starts complaining about the excesive time you spend in those (and I quote from MY real life) "Fu@#ingchildren toys"-) :-) :-) :-)
2.- When you start hiding the new kit´s you buy from your mom, girlfriend, wife......-) :-) :-) :-)
3.- When you start sharing your work on sites like this, and yoúr girlfriend says (again quote from MY real life) "you have to decide: kits or me......" (I´m still with her, maybe because she´s on another city??)-) :-) :-) :-)
best regards
Jenny
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 09:22 AM UTC
When the LHS sends you a christmas card & thank you for putting their 3 year old son through college . They get there 15yr old junior staffer to make you a cuppa when you come in cause they know you will be in there a while .
nicoropi
Visit this Community
Vaud, Switzerland
entire network: 243 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC
You're looking at anything in the world, tree, mountain, tunnel, car, truck, construction site, and you go : "Look how well that weathering is done there, the colour of rust is just right! Look at those cobblestones, how well dry brushed they are!"

And your non modelers colleagues think even more that you are a freak...
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 03:15 PM UTC
Francois.........

"Yeah well , i defenatly need to check my priority's over.
then again, its not any old model, its a 3in1 tiger
Francois"

I'm getting a little worried about you,lad......

Modeling can be done when you CAN'T do......'other'.....activities...ahem. Scale modeling is always available,girlfriends are not!
Cheers! :-)8

Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 03:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Francois.........

"Yeah well , i defenatly need to check my priority's over.
then again, its not any old model, its a 3in1 tiger
Francois"

I'm getting a little worried about you,lad......

Modeling can be done when you CAN'T do......'other'.....activities...ahem. Scale modeling is always available,girlfriends are not!
Cheers!

Agreed upon, il take advice from a wise man :-)

Francois
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 09:48 PM UTC

When the people you have met (modelers)say they dont like the way you "Make" and "Paint"-----cant understand this "Scratch-building stuff..".......why your subject materiel is---"WEIRD"--- and
------when a big manufacturer tells you........"You are not a model maker---You are a model engineer".......then you can think your on the right track ..................At last.
Reb----I dont get fazed ----no such thing as "TIME" when you model -------or is it I have no sense of time :-) :-) ----whatever ----there aint enough of it
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 09:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

when a big manufacturer tells you........"You are not a model maker---You are a model engineer".......then you can think your on the right track at last

Steve,

Is there something you should be telling us?? Can we expect some of your fantastic ARV's produced commercially soon?? Perhaps an African beasty?

Rudi
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 5,182 Posts
KitMaker Network: 242 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 12:30 AM UTC

- The first sentence you hear when you arrive home is "Another Box?" instead of "Welcome home Dear" (True);
- When you spend more in models than clothes, shoes...(guilty);
- When planning vacations the first thing you check is Museums (Military of course!) and Model Shops (True);
- When your friends come to your house to see last vacations pictures, suddenly you realise that more than half are submarines and ships (True - several times);
- When thinking about moving to a bigger house is mainly because you don't have your modeling room - like you used to! (True);
- When you can recognise that this "New" model by brand X is actually and old model by brand Y (guilty);
- When you're told that "it is so difficult to give you birthday/christmas presents!" (True)
- When you start to think "I have more models than I could built" - but keep buying (guilty);
- When you have plus 100 paint tinlets, but have to buy that special shade of grey from WEM (several times guilty);
- When the friends you see more times are actually the members of your model club (True);
- When you spend more than 95% of your internet surfing time in Armorama and other modeling related websites (guilty);
- When you upgrade your home computer with a new and faster connection because you want to have the same speed like when your at work (guilty);
- When most of your books (75% more or less) are modeling related (True);
- When you spend a lot of cash buying that special cabinet so that your models don't get dust (True);
- When you have a LOT OF FUN chating with hundreds of persons that you actually never met and share the same passion as you - and you feel happy about it! (True);
- When you don't even question sending that spare decal/part/Instructions to a fellow modeler! (True);
- When you feel really happy getting up at 7:00 on January 1st (after 5 hour sleep) to meet a Armorama member (Grumpyoldman) and the time you spent together just flew - and you want more!

Skipper
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
entire network: 1,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 188 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 01:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

- The first sentence you hear when you arrive home is "Another Box?" instead of "Welcome home Dear" (True);
- When you spend more in models than clothes, shoes...(guilty);
- When planning vacations the first thing you check is Museums (Military of course!) and Model Shops (True);
- When your friends come to your house to see last vacations pictures, suddenly you realise that more than half are submarines and ships (True - several times);
- When thinking about moving to a bigger house is mainly because you don't have your modeling room - like you used to! (True);
- When you can recognise that this "New" model by brand X is actually and old model by brand Y (guilty);
- When you're told that "it is so difficult to give you birthday/christmas presents!" (True)
- When you start to think "I have more models than I could built" - but keep buying (guilty);
- When you have plus 100 paint tinlets, but have to buy that special shade of grey from WEM (several times guilty);
- When the friends you see more times are actually the members of your model club (True);
- When you spend more than 95% of your internet surfing time in Armorama and other modeling related websites (guilty);
- When you upgrade your home computer with a new and faster connection because you want to have the same speed like when your at work (guilty);
- When most of your books (75% more or less) are modeling related (True);
- When you spend a lot of cash buying that special cabinet so that your models don't get dust (True);
- When you have a LOT OF FUN chating with hundreds of persons that you actually never met and share the same passion as you - and you feel happy about it! (True);
- When you don't even question sending that spare decal/part/Instructions to a fellow modeler! (True);
- When you feel really happy getting up at 7:00 on January 1st (after 5 hour sleep) to meet a Armorama member (Grumpyoldman) and the time you spent together just flew - and you want more!

Skipper

really good! :-) You could make some kind of "Modeller´s Test" and give different grades....
Example:
1-5 True Answers (TA): Don´t worry, it´s just a hobby to avoid work stress
6-10 TA: Beware, you´re almost ready to be sent to sleep in the couch...
11-15 TA: Gosh, your wife/husband has leave alone with your kits, and went with your childrens to live in the house of her/his parents.....
16-20 TA: You´re a nut case and your family it´s going to send you to a Rehab Program or to the Arkham Asylum.... :-) :-) :-) :-)
best regards