_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
What is your worst modelling injury??
Puma112
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 12:44 PM UTC
I think we have been down this road before but the worst for me was an exploding superglue bottle which glued me eyes shut. Fortunately for me I am hard headed and after the wife finished her yelling, she asked if I wanted a ride to the ER. Well not to be out done with one act of stupidity in a day, I just said no and ripped them back open. I was luckey in that none got to the good parts and so the damage was very limits and god must be wanting me to build more modles. Lesson: Where your glasses you use to see with while working, and NEVER TELL your wife what happened!

Tracy
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 09:27 AM UTC
While unblocking a tube of super glue with a Swann Morton #26 blade(cutting edge 1 1/2") on a #4 handle,
I slipped and put the blade through my thumb and out the other side Ouch I said and called the wife over to see,and asked her to remove it...well she just passed out ,bless her, so I had to extract it myself,blood, oozing flesh ,not plesant and lots of pain.
Following morning a trip to A&E proved entertaining,as the doc/nurse removed a ball of fat/flesh the size of a pea from the out side of my thumb.."can't you poke it back in" I asked ,"NO we bloody can't "came the reply,
"well can I take that bit home then??,I said nodding to the bit in the kidney bowl,that also met with another negative reply
Lesson learned ,use a paper clip ,not the biggest scalpel in the box for unblocking
USAF_Sarge
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 46 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 10:56 AM UTC
Hey guys,

I was cleaning up my work area before company arrived one day. (My work are is a tv tray to eat on). Anyway, I had more in my hands that I could manage and my pin vise (with a .3mm bit still in) rolled out of my hands and went drill bit down into my foot. I had to have my wife pull it out for me since I couldn't do it myself. I never went to the doctor. I just sealed the would with my ca glue and a couple days later I was fine.
Tobar
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 192 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 04:34 AM UTC
It was the day that I bought my new Table.. It was a Drafting Table that could be set up at an incline at back... (The far forward part was higher than the closer part near me..) It is perfect for drawing with, BUT not so friendly when you place an X-acto Knife on in....
During my next build, once everything was happening,
It rolled off the table a few times, I started getting mad that I had do reach down under the table to fetch it...

So the next time the knife started roll, and eventually fell off the table, I thought I would catch it In the air as it dropped from the table..

( In your best Kung-Foo voice....)
"As fast as you can Grasshopper.... take the X-acto from the air..."
"YEA..... I GOT IT..."

Wait....

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......"

That damn thing GOT ME...
right in the center of the PALM.. about 1/4 of the blade length in the skin...

After first aid and cleaning up blood
I made sure of two things...

First, The table is Horazontal to the floor...
Second, A rubber triangle that slides over Knive for a better grip..(Or for rolling off tables....)

There is always something to learn with this hobby.
---------------------SAFTY---------------------

and, I have no Kung-foo skills.........
Lucky
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 102 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 04:29 PM UTC
I think that cutting yourself with the x-acto is something that is a necessary part of the hobby. Worst was when I dropped a part on the floor, and bent down to pick it up. Forget I had the knife in my hand, and as I reached with one hand I made a fist around the blade with the other. Nice deep cut right in the joint under the knuckle. But that's nothing compared to adventures in being the wood carving merit badge instructor at Boy Scout camp. little kids and sharp things, oh lord....
GI_Babycakes
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 451 Posts
KitMaker Network: 158 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 05:15 PM UTC
nothing too crazy.. I superglued my finger to my thumb.
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 11:40 PM UTC
I just did a new one last weekend. I made breakfast for the family and while cooking the sausage, grease splattered up and burned my wrist. Hurt pretty good but not too bad. After breakfast, I went to work on my Tiger I. I put a lillte puddle of superglue on the bench and as I leaned in to see what I was doing, guess where I rested my burned wrist? Yep! right in the puddle. Of course I didn't realize it until I sat back and pulled my arm away. Several colorful metaphores were used for that one. :-) Not too much skin left on the table but picking the superglue off of the burn was not a lot of fun.
apfsds
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 30 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 12:29 AM UTC
Worst modelling injury about 6/7 years ago, was tryin to separate the two halves of a wheel from a verlinden panther that id glued in the wrong place, inevitably slipped with the scalpel, handle deep into the base of my hand at the wrist.Six stitches and a lot off ribbing from my wife.lol Worst ever hobby injury, 98mph high side on my bike! will take the scalpel over that again any day.
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 348 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 08:24 AM UTC
Well, I've managed to keep my Dremel tool out of my flesh, and thus far my reflexes have kept dropped XActo knives from hitting feet/legs/more painful parts. But I, like so many in here, have cut numerous chunks of skin and flesh from my fingers and hands over the years - and for the past few years I've glued every bleeding wound with CA to seal it. I figure, they invented the stuff to replace stitches in the Viet Nam war, it must be pretty good at the job! So far I've still got all my fingerprints and only minor scarring, so it seems to be working.
bocchris
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 24 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 11:53 AM UTC
I'm sure I've posted this previous but here goes.
Got up one morning groggy from the night before and decided to cut some details off of a hatch to replace with thinner scratched pieces.Rather than cut on my mat I just held the hatch in my fingers which resulted in my finger end flying across the room.Realised what I'd done and calmly went back upstairs to sit on the bed with my finger raised up with a big wad of tissue on it to help stop the bleeding.Was OK for 30 secs then the shock kicked in..man I do not want to do that ever again as it is not a lot of fun.(slight understatement)
Also, cutting plasticard strips one time,pressing hard as it was 40 thou I pulled the Xacto off the table and stuck it into my leg right up to the hilt just above my knee.I had to strap my leg up so it couldn't bend it as it would not heal otherwise.This took two weeks of me limping around like the guy from Dirty Harry .The finger end has regenerated but the stab in the knee has a rather good raised scar to remind me that Xacto blades are not to be messed with.
SSG_Q
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 115 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 01:31 PM UTC
Accidently put aa # 11 into the top of my right thigh. But the story doesn't end there. I went to Womack Army Medical Center and received 7 stitches. Oh no, that's not the end...The medic didn't clean it well enough, and the doctor didn't give me antibiotics...so.....out came the stitches and wound up having gauze packed in it for another week or so. No I have a 4 inch by 1 inch wide scar with no feeling. Needless to say I keep my work firmly on the work surface and not above my legs or the bonnie lads!!! :-) :-) :-)
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 02:58 PM UTC
Nothing huge either but got carried away with carving excess plastic off one of those small pieces and ended up weathering it with blood. Didnt look that great so i used water to wash it off.
 _GOTOTOP