Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
What is your worst modelling injury??
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 01:30 PM UTC
Other than cutting my fingers with a knife the having them stabed with the plastic trees this would be my worst.

I had a square bottle of Testors paint. Well the paint cap was stuck on becase the paint glued it to the bottle. Well I could of ran it under some hot water but I didnt feel like it, I should of. I took a small vice and applied some pressure to the cap, and turned it a little. Well I took of the vice and started to twist off the cap. What I didnt see were some cracks in the bottle going down the side. When I turned the cap came off and some did the whole top of the bottle. When that happened my index finger slid over the broken glass and got cut open. I dono if it needed stiches or not but it did bleed for a while. And left a pretty good scare.

Mike

Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 01:30 PM UTC
Other than cutting my fingers with a knife the having them stabed with the plastic trees this would be my worst.

I had a square bottle of Testors paint. Well the paint cap was stuck on becase the paint glued it to the bottle. Well I could of ran it under some hot water but I didnt feel like it, I should of. I took a small vice and applied some pressure to the cap, and turned it a little. Well I took of the vice and started to twist off the cap. What I didnt see were some cracks in the bottle going down the side. When I turned the cap came off and some did the whole top of the bottle. When that happened my index finger slid over the broken glass and got cut open. I dono if it needed stiches or not but it did bleed for a while. And left a pretty good scare.

Mike

merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:00 AM UTC
I've created a monster post.....it just keeps growing and growing.

Please no one try to top wolf leader!!!!!
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:38 AM UTC
Damn straight! Every once in awhile in the winter time, I get little twitches of pain by the scar site.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:45 AM UTC
Here's a word of advice, wolfie boy... it may be a good idea to stay clear of chainsaws, food blenders, lawn mowers and all kitchen utensils with a sharp edge longer than 2 inches ! Some people just can't keep from hurting themselves. You've no idea what horrors lie waiting for you in the kitchen drawer or the garage if you're not Zen with the hardware spirits !
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:19 AM UTC
Yep, I suppose we've all shared our blood with every model we've made.

I can't top the dremel story, but whilst making a frame for the back of my StuG III out of brass, the soldering Iron slipped and I burnt a hole in the side of my finger. Looking on the bright side, it quarterised the wound, but after, a big yellowy squishy kinda blister developed, not nice.

I mainly use plastic now for most of my detailing..................I wonder why???

ang just the usual missing tips of fingers stuff.

Motto: Keep yer plasters and Germalene close

Scott.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hey guys,
As you know I go for only the authentic way of building models. What better way of simulating blood than the real deal . HA! HA! HA! #:-)
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hey wolfie
how do you stop the chipping when it dries?
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 07:31 AM UTC
Merkava,
I clear coat it. #:-) #:-)
dbusack
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
entire network: 971 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 07:57 AM UTC
For me the worst injury would be using an xacto when I was too tired to be modeling. Common sense would have told me to go to bed rather than work on a plane, however, common sense is not always that common.The blade went deep and was rubbing across the bone of my thumb.

But if you want maximum pain, I was helping a friend of mine build an RC airplane. He needed a human vise to hold the fusalage together while he glued it. Somehow in the process he dropped a droplet of CA glue on my hand without my knowing it (complete accident). I realized it was there right after he sprayed the plane with accelerator. For those of you who do not know what happens when CA glue gets hit with accelerator, suffice it to say there is a very fast and very violent reaction that hardens the glue in a split second. Of course any chemical recation that works that fast creates a tremendous amount of heat. I have had molten solder drip on my hand. That hurts, but cools off fast. This just keeps on burning!

Granted it is not as bad as a circular saw between your legs, but it will definitely hold your attention!

Don Busack
[email protected]
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys,
As you know I go for only the authentic way of building models. What better way of simulating blood than the real deal . HA! HA! HA! #:-)

But you gotta remember to seal it really good otherwise it flakes off too easily!
no-neck
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 87 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:41 PM UTC
A couple of hours ago.In the basement in a tiny cramped corner behind the furnace. I would NEVER spraypaint near an open flame. I paint on the back porch. I did,candle burning, start to pop the cap off a new can of spraypaint.Wearing an old polyester ski jacket. Puncture the can. BOOM. I'm on fire now . In a very enclosed space. Get away from the fire. Get the coat off. Second degree burns on both hands. Wife shows up with fireextinguisher. No room. Grab extinguisher,drown workbench and displays with foam. Casualties;V2 rocket,Brit FAT,DUKW,part of bench,coat,beard,hands. I haven't been back down except to make sure it was out but I'm sure there is more damage. I'm fondling ice cubes and typing with my little finger. Happy modeling.
majorme
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 687 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 02:00 AM UTC
i was cutting some big pieces of sprue off some roadwheels and after 10 wheels, I dropped my moddeling knife, it's made of steel and it isn't nice to get it on your toe . after the last wheel, I dropped the knife again and now it didn't land ON my toe, but IN my toe... believe me that HURTS . it looked like a 1/1 model of a toe, the interior model
gr. majorme
Post # 100
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 02:31 AM UTC
Well I haven't been able to use my right arm for work etc because a piece of glass fell in my arm. The glass came from a photo frame which I used for a diorama.

Really stupid accident but the cut in my arm was deep and I can't lift anything or go to taekwondo training etc. So guys and girls, watch out with glass......it's very very sharp
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 02:34 AM UTC
Almost all of my modeling injuries have been cuts. I still remember cutting a slice of my thumb when I was building a helicopter kit with my uncle at the age of 8. That didn't traumatize me much, I still started modeling some years later, after being inspired by a friend of mine.

My personal record is three cuts with one slice. But that wasn't actually from modeling. I had put my modeling knife on a chair when I was leaving the room. I thought it was risky, I didn't want to sit on it. I leaned over the chair with my right hand on, grabbed the knife and quickly pulled it over my right hand. Results: three cuts, one on each finger. Only my little finger and thumb were spared. Nothing serious, though. A little band-aid and I was back in business.

But sometimes you have to do something several times to learn. I was once cutting some PE. I didn't want use a fresh blade, so I grabbed a used blade. I didn't bother changing it to the handle, I just pressed the blade against the fret to cut. When I got the parts off the fret, I noticed there was a depression in my finger, caused by the back side of the blade. I thought it was nothing and kept on modeling. After a while I noticed I was bleeding. I had pressed the blade through my skin without noticing it. And I didn't learn from just one experience. After some time, I as again cutting PE with the same method. The only diffrerence was that this time I felt the blade pressing through the skin. And this time it hurt. Now I always put the blade to the handle before cutting hard materials instead of cutting with a loose blade.
lordQ
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 530 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 02:49 AM UTC
I've cut the top off my middlefinger once.. They've put it back on but still no feeling in it, it has been a year now

Q
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 03:11 AM UTC
I have all the usual cuts from the knife, but the worst one was an artillery attack while serving in the Middle East. I was building the Tamiya SAS jeep when off duty, and one evening we got shelled rather heavy. I survived without a scratch, but sadly the Jeep became another victime of war .

Erik
Reconrsa007
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 03:54 AM UTC
No big physical injuries, just the usual cuts and sniffing to much glue/thinners/etc, but boy, do I loose friends...

Friend 1 - Lost because I don't fall for all his "I'm best and know the most" attitude.
Friend 2 - Lost because it is his mission in live to criticize every completed kit he sees with his eyes.
Friend 3 - Lost because I didn't say enough "Oh but that is a beautiful kit/acc you bought"(I wasn't impressed enough)
Friend 4 - Lost because girlfriend is irritating
Friend 5 - Lost because I have to work for a living and can't play LAN games
and the list goes on...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 04:01 AM UTC
Why is someone re-awakening 3 year-old threads?..Jim
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 04:08 AM UTC
Mine didnt happen while i was modeling . My girlfriend was over and were in my modeling room because she wanted to see something(she usualy looks for a nice project to ruin with her paintskills lol...), i was sitting down on my chair and she then sat on me and picked up a figure. now, i liek to use a needle i insirt under the figures foot to place them on my dio( now i never have the pointy part sticking out). Once she had the figure, she pressed the needle so hard against my leg, it went right throught the pants and i suddenly had an inch of a needle in my leg

good part is she felt bad and took care of me from that point on lol.

Frank
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 05:02 AM UTC
Like a knuckle head I was having a few cocktails while working on a model a little over twenty years ago in the kitchen of my apartment. I'm having a ball, the music was on, I was all happy, I reached over for a drink and took a big ol' swig of paint thinner that I had in a jar right next to my glass. I put the jar down and was thinking, hmmm, this needs more ice. Then the after taste started to take affect, I looked over at the jar of thinner and the contents was still rolling around in the jar as if it'd been moved. Oh boy, this isn't good. I grabbed a bottle of Pepto Bismol and swallowed a bunch of that, then grabbed the half gallon of milk that was in the fridge and started my trek on foot to the base hospital. I remembered when I was kid my brother and sister was faking drinking Chlorox Bleach out of the bottle, then passed it to me, I drank it, saw stars and I remember the hospital giving me lots of milk so I thought why not for this too. By the time that I got to the hospital I was barfing, my throat was burning, my nose was burning and I was having a hard time breathing. Um, now I keep the paint thinners on one table, and my beverages on another table.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 09:20 AM UTC
Ciao everyone,
That's a good question, (and it may have been posed before.)
Mine was when the Xacto knife rolled off the table and landed blade first through my big toe nail. Of course, in my pain, I pulled it out and the blood began to flow. I can't talk anymore about it.........
Ciao for now
Rob
TreeCat
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 187 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 09:50 AM UTC
I was about maybe ten at the time building Monogram's Hustler in 1/48 scale .Trying to get rid of a heavy sprue attachment and I managed to jam the
very sharp leading edge of the aircraft into my wrist.
I missed the main vain to my arm by 3/8 of an inch.

That was the last plane I ever built. My dad didn't like me being scared so he bought me a tank
and the rest is history.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 03:13 AM UTC
Two come to mind rather quickly..
1. Lost the tip of my left middle finger while cutting a bottle in two. They say you can't remember pain...I call BS on that one. That brought me to my knees in an instant. The wife is a Nurse Practitioner and she got a little woozy when she saw it.
2. Using a rather large saw blade in my dremel going at about 28k RPM, I dropped it and it landed on my leg. Just missed my femoral artery. Anytime I use it now, I ensure I am wearing a heavy cloth apron across my lap. That one was a little too close for comfort.

"Q"