The Big A @ AMPS East
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 12:03 PM UTC
Here are most of the Armorama guys at AMPS East

From the left: Sandbox, EasyOff, Marty, AJLaFleche, Grumpyoldman, Pvt Parts and Dancap. Missing for the photo were Okievet (busy running the show) and Sticky (Taking son Jeff to lunch).
Dan Capuano, (Dancap) took an advanced Gold for his Cellar Dwellers which also took Best Dio, People's Choice and Best of SHow. His superb British sergeant of the Zulu War took an advanced Gold and Best figure. John (Sticky) Steinman took an advanced gold for his Stug III dio. Martin “Marty” Wasiak took advanced silvers in figures for his Cold Patrol and for dios with Picnic. I ended up with an advanced Bronze for my Commanche and a silver in dio for my Moment in Time.
Attendance was way down for unknowable reasons. Perhaps gas prices kept people home.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 12:26 PM UTC
Looks like some happy modelers there - were you able to take some model photos of the show?

Gunnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 12:29 PM UTC
Al,
Thanks for the great group shot.

Traffic on this site seems to be off today as well. Maybe it's the nice change of weather? At least here in the west it's a lot cooler lately.

Do you have some additional pictures from the show?

Cheers,
Jim
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Attendance was way down for unknowable reasons. Perhaps gas prices kept people home.

Well, I'm still up here in Vermont with my dad visiting after finishing the Applachian trail, and the other local guys were busy moving or working, or we'd have been down this weekend.
That's 3 more anyway..

next year.

Was there an announcement about the April show, date and place?

And I'll second the call for pics from the show.

Mike
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 02:50 PM UTC
I didn't have time to go through the pictures, but I have just about everything that was there. I'll post a few samples, esp. of our guys' entries, on Sunday and send a full "report" to admin for an article.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 05:34 PM UTC
:-) Al.you needed a LOUDER Shirt... (++) (++)
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 05:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Al.you needed a LOUDER Shirt...

Hmmmm Robert (aka FAUST) would fit in just fine as it's coming to shirts :-) :-)

Nice group shot guys !

Congrats on all the medals you dragged out of there !
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 07:54 PM UTC
heheheh I also was thinking the Grumpy must be in close contact with Faust, they share the same taste on shirts :-) :-)

Great group
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 09:55 AM UTC
Dan Capuano

John Steinman

Marty Wasiak

John Boilard

Al LaFleche

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:31 AM UTC
Nice photo...... :-)
I managed to get a photo of each model, except Dan's large diorama, which went AWOL, when I was shooting.
Pvt Parts and myself had a great time at Old Rhienbeck Sunday, and shot about 100 additional photos of the museum and air show.
I'll post them as soon as I get them all downloaded, and sorted.

Now the big question--- what did I buy????
I picked up a Real Models Federal Tractor for a song,
a Adrian Berliet CBA from WWI for a dance,
and a Capitan's Gaz-69 for a "Please-leave-us-alone"..... :-) :-) I also got an old Peerless M-6 37mm Gun Carriage. (The small items don't count) :-) :-) There were a lot of good deals, if you wanted to look for them. (usually in the boxes on the floor)

It was also great to meet everyone else......
And good to see Al, and John (Easyoff) again......
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:58 AM UTC
What a crew! Thanks for the group shot!
Marty
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 01:25 PM UTC
It was good meeting everyone and great seeing Al again. John (EasyOff) , Dave (Grumpy) Al and John (PvtParts) are absolutely hilarious and can keep a guy laughing for hours on end. You guys are a riot!

The show was good but like Al said attendance was not very high. Still, there was a good selection of figures and dioramas. Dan's behemoth of a dio (Cellar Dwellers) is very impressive. There are so many details there that cannot be captured with a camera. No wonder he took just about every major award at the show.

I have also won a couple of medals and to tell you the truth I did not expect any of it. The funny part is that the figure I though would perhaps get a bronze actually did not get anything, instead my other figure and the vignette both won. Funny how that worked out.

Will be going to the show next year for sure.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 02:28 PM UTC
:-) :-) I'll have a full year to look for another perfect shirt :-) :-)
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 - 02:13 AM UTC
It was great to be able to carpool with Al and John. I also noticed the down turn in the number of entries but the quality of work was tremdenous. Also great to talk with a lot of other people with this...interest.
EasyOff
Visit this Community
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 - 02:47 AM UTC
I've gotta tell ya, after seeing Dan's dio in person and talking with him about the why's and hows, its changed my persective quite a bit. I sat right in front of it during the seminar and had a chance to really get in there and check it out and I can only say, its loaded from top to bottom with interest.

I got into stickies grass seminar as well. I learned quite a bit about grass, and I thought I learned it all in the 70s, boy was I WRONG! Now if I could just learn how to build a model I'll be all set.

It was fun cruising with Sandbox and Al. The rain got nasty on the highway for a while and I was sure glad that we had all wheel drive. If we had taken the two sports cars, Al's Honda S2000 and my Mercedes SLK 32 AMG we would have had to pull over at some point, and ride the storm out, the water was that high on the roads.

Marty
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It was fun cruising with Sandbox and Al. The rain got nasty on the highway for a while and I was sure glad that we had all wheel drive. If we had taken the two sports cars, Al's Honda S2000 and my Mercedes SLK 32 AMG we would have had to pull over at some point, and ride the storm out, the water was that high on the roads.

I see you guys got caught in the same monsoon as I did. Man, oh man...there were moments where I couldn't see the front of the hood on my Sierra. Like you I am glad I took my 4x4 (even though it's a gas guzzler) instead of my wife's Mitsubishi, otherwise I would have been floating about in one of the "lakes" on the highway.

The seminars were good. I also attended the one put on by Lynn Kessler. It was supposed to be about painting figures but it turned out to be more of a history lesson and hands-on exhibit on British and US uniforms from 1941-1945. Lynn had a table loaded with "goodies" from his personal collection. It was very impressive.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 07:50 AM UTC
I'm Back from the show (and the beach!). It was great meeting some, and seeing the rest! I was really disappointed by the turnout at the show. I find it hard to beleive that it was the cost of gas that kept people away. I drove 600 miles, in a car that gets 25 mpg. That's 24 gallons of gas. We paid right around 3 bucks a gallon this year, and about 2.15 last year. Thats a difference of 85 cents times 24 gallons = an extra 20 bucks! Now I know some drive further, but alot drive less. If you carpool with 2 guys thats 10 bucks more over last year. So what really was the problem? I dunno, but I don't think the group should go for a 2 day show next year. I wouldn't go a 2 year until there was a steady and significant turnout. I was board after an hour, as there was just not much to look at. Maybe thats why the vendors did so well!

:-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 08:11 AM UTC
Good to see you made it home safely John.....
The bleachers across the street was where some of the guys got over getting bored..... :-) :-)
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 09:08 AM UTC
So that's where everyone went - to watch the little league game!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 11:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So that's where everyone went - to watch the little league game!

Actually it was basketball we saw. There was talk of a challenge but when I missed the barrel with a ball of aluminum from my sandwich, from 8 feet out, any thought of a challenge was put rightfully to bed! :-)
 _GOTOTOP