_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
what is your favourite campaign to built
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 10:03 PM UTC
I`m wondering what the favourite campaigns of my fellow modelers are.
to make dio`s, figures, tanks and whatever more

like you are only building russia things or gulfwar
or that you only built ww2 german stuff or british

let me know

Greetz Robert "FAUST" Blokker
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:07 PM UTC
Easy one...WWII U.S..
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:07 AM UTC
99% of what i do now is WW2. It was mostly all Geramn but the last 4 or 5 months has become US or Russian. I think it sways from time to time. When I started reading these sites about 16 months ago, everybody was building Tiger tanks. Every possible configuration under the sun. Then in the last 6 months Iv only seen about 5 new tigers. Russian armour has gotten very popular at the moment and seems to getter more available. Of course Shermans pop up all the time. Now German armour is back to Stugs and Panthers. I guess it has to do with recent releases but what you see in front of you tends to influence your next purchase!
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC
Vietnam and Desert Storm for me...
Now that I think of it, Arab-Israeli wars are also an interesting modeling scenario; lots of very different and cool looking stuff..

Mario M.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 01:22 AM UTC
Israeli is my favorite although I sometimes get the yearning to do a Nam model now and again. If you want a specific battle it would be a tie between southern and nothern coommands in 73 yom kippur war.

Josh
aka shiryon
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:00 AM UTC
I prefer WWII, but I have built Korean jets, Vietnam and some WWI. I also enjoy modeling the Cold War. There were a lot of great planes on both sides, that never saw much combat. I hate to limit myself to one era, as the progression of technology fascinates me more than any individual time frame. I like the WWI planes, although rigging them is a pain in the neck, and I like the Spanish Civil War, as it shows how the WWII fighters were developed, and perfected. (Especially by Germany) Korea makes for some interesting models, as it was the first jet dominated war. Vietnam was interesting, because a lot of equipment had to be adapted for roles different then it was designed for. We had a lot of high speed, long range, cold war interceptors, and we ended up in the wartime version of a close range, ambush based barroom brawl. Desert storm and Afghanistan give an opportunity to model all of today's high tech equipment, although the opposing equipment was a bit weak, or nonexistent in those conflicts. (No Sabre vs. Mig, or Spitfire vs. 109 matchups to build.)

I often build models in pairs, using opposing aircraft, or aircraft used in the same role by opposing sides. This adds a bit of interest for me. I have a Me 163 Komet displayed with my B-17, and I have a Sabre and MiG sharing a shelf. I am working on a A-10, and Su 25 Frogfoot, to display together. These planes probably wouldn't meet in combat very often ,but they are a neat comparison. Building subjects in pairs like this makes the campaign a bit more important than just building a single piece of equipment.

Dave
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:16 AM UTC
WW II German for me, mostly Armor. But I am going to try do some WW II Russian stuff as well, got myself a T-35, and also really want to build an M1A1, as well as a F-4 Phantom, always have a soft spot for the Phantom....
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:43 AM UTC
I'm strictly WWII myself. I don't have a preference for any particular country; if it's a good model, or if I can think of a good Dio situation to put it in, I'll build it. That goes for armor, aircraft, and ships. Guess I'm just caught in a time-warp, but the more modern stuff just doesn't catch my fancy.

Mike

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 03:00 AM UTC
I'm a post-Ardennes German WWI kind of guy, mostly Eastern Front.
By the way, can it still be called the Eastern Front when it was within the city limits of Berlin? -grin- Lots of late Panthers , 251's, King TIgers..

But I also do Warsaw Pact/Soviet Armor, a bit of US Desert Storm, some Nam figures and Helos, and post Lebanon Invasion IDF as well.

So I am all over the map here. Like Steve Martin said in a comedy sketch about smoking dope, "Never at dusk". I am not an early WWII fan, Shermans don't do much for me, Brit/Cdn/Aussie or Japanese leaves me lukewarm. 50's-60's US armor likewise. I've got some mordern German and British stuff, but nothing I am burning up the sprues to finish.

If I had better references I'd love to do more Chechnya/Dagestan/whoever is in open revolt this week stuff as well.

Mike
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm strictly WWII myself. I don't have a preference for any particular country; if it's a good model, or if I can think of a good Dio situation to put it in, I'll build it. That goes for armor, aircraft, and ships. Guess I'm just caught in a time-warp, but the more modern stuff just doesn't catch my fancy.

Mike

Mike I am the same, only recently I wanna do some morden stuff, but for me I think after WW II the equipment are too technical relied, there are less and less human effect.
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 03:42 AM UTC
I started off doing a little bit of everything WWII German, American. Modern stuf all coutries etc. that was bout 4 years ago. Now iam doing mainly Vietnam era stuf. Guntrucks :-), APC's, Hueys ( just started my first one, MRC Huey Gunship, It had mini guns on it so I just had to buy it ) PBR's, and a few tanks.

I dont know what catagory this would fall under but iam also getting into Gundam models, I guess it would be a future era?

Mimke
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 04:34 AM UTC
Maybe not Campaign - but more of Time Period for me.

Number One is the 1950's US Pentomic Weaponry to include atomic battlefield ordnance. Number Two would be WW II US Normandy Invasion (mid-summer to early fall) subjects.
Number Three would be Gun Trucks from the Vietnam War (I know 'surprise' as I do love them intensely but that's not what got my juices 'flowing' in modeling)
Number Four would be US Korean War subjects.
Number Five is modern US AFV's and Softskins.

Gunnie
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 424 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 04:35 AM UTC
I model exclusively in two scales anymore - 1/35 vehicles and 1/72 flyers.

The vehicles are almost exclusively WW2, any combatant, though that new Trumpeter S-Tank is going to pull me into some modern.

The 1/72 scale are anything post-WW1 to end of WW2 (including luft-46), any nationality, and rotorcraft of any time frame.

Mika
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe not Campaign - but more of Time Period for me.

Same here... WW II is by far the most interesting period for me. Allied or Axis, but I prefer Allied. (you know, the 'good guy' thing.. :-) )
Other than that, I build whatever I think looks cool. And judging by my stack of unbuilt kits, I think there's a lot of cool stuff out there!

YodaMan
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 06:24 AM UTC
Hola,
Nice thread here

I am almost 100% WWII German Figure kind of guy at the moment. Although, I tend to do Native Americans, American Civil War, Knights, and other historical figures from time to time.
As for the "campaigns" I would have to say eastern front '44-'45, (from Russia to Berlin, to Normandy). I especially like Hungary 44-45, because of the great diversity in armor, equipment used etc.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:06 AM UTC
I like WWII from D-Day to the end of the war. American, Russian or German.

Ronald_Kok
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 484 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:52 AM UTC
Mine intrest in this hobby are Recovery Vehicles (all kinds) from all country`s from 1940 to 1960 and some later

No special campain here

Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:56 AM UTC
My favorite campaign to read about and model is the North African Campaign of World War II. I am particularly interested in the fighting before the arrival of Rommel and the DAK, between the Commonwealth and the Italians. I build dios and tanks from other theatres too, but North Africa is my favorite.

Nic
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:13 PM UTC
It would be Desert Storm and after for me.
Modern aircraft dominate my interest with little competition.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:43 PM UTC
I'm a die hard tread head. But have recently developed and interest in wheeled fighting vehicles of all eras(too many Panzer III/IV with all of those dang road wheels .

My modelling passion breaks down as follows:

60%-WWII German vehicles (tanks, half-tracks, trucks)
20%-Modern armor and apc's
10%-US Vietnam armor and guntrucks
5%-Vietnam riverine patrol craft
5%-Helicopters of all nations and era's
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 04:21 PM UTC
Mostly World War II subjects:

U.S. subjects are No. 1 by a large margin. Soviet and Commonwealth are also big interests. Japanese next, then Italian. German is last (probably cause everyone seems to do 'em better than me and I just can't afford all those expensive reference books).

I've developed a recent interest in Korean War subjects (an extension of WWII, I suppose) because of the 50th anniversary.

I also do an occasional Vietnam or modern subject, but not as many as I used to.

I like to work with good reference and when you're on a limited budget, it's best to limit your subjects.
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC
i like 'what-ifs' in the WW ll mode, i like to make up my own scenarios.
also i do not like to follow historical conventions, i like to make up my own history.
and mostly, i think of battles that could have been fought if i was Fuhrer.

Chris
#:-) :-) Pig no.1 and friends
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 09:17 AM UTC
I do WWII German anything. If I ever get the urge to build something non-German, I usually finish it in captured markings. See my album........PLMP110's stuff.

Patrick
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:13 PM UTC
I would say I am a Desert Storm and newer modeler for the most part. The funny thing is I haven't built a kit from that time yet. The armor I have built so far are U.S. from WWII and Korea (Sherman and Bulldog). So why do I say I am a DS modeler? Well my unbuilt collection (at about 24 kits at the moment) are almost all from that period. I have build the 2 I mentioned for practice. I plan on having a large DS collection and want to learn on other kits. My next kit will be a 1/48 F-117A so that will qualify for a DS vehicle. After that I will be building either a M110A2 or M1A2. One model I plan on building that is from WWII is the Quad Gun Tractor from Tamiya. That truck looks so cool to me, and it's a dirt cheap kit too!

Happy Halloween
I pray it will be safe for everyone
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 261 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 11:07 AM UTC
I would definately prefer Gulf War, I do predominantly modern topics. I enjoy most post- Korean War subjects.

Matt
 _GOTOTOP