Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Money is no object
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 05:24 AM UTC
If I had money, time and skills I would probably build a complete replica of a Nazi death camp from Poland. I am talking about Auschwitz-Birkenau in Oswiecim. This was one of the most horrific death camps in all of Europe. This would be a memorial to all of those who lost their lives in there as well to those who had courage and were lucky enough to survive it.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 05:40 AM UTC
Or British swordfish attacking the Bismark in 1/48 scale.
PfcGreen
Visit this Community
entire network: 103 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 06:17 AM UTC
1/16th scale NCC-1701 Enterprise, from star trek
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 06:23 AM UTC
A modern Carrier Battlegroup in 1/350 w/ all the amphibs and support ships.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 06:34 AM UTC
If money were no object I would just buy 1:1 scale Sherman, Panther, Tiger, and a M1A2 Abrams to boot!

Jim
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
entire network: 762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 06:41 AM UTC
I guess I would build a complete field hospital, Swedish of course, since we have a habit of sending these all over the world... (Gulf war and Somalia...)
VoodooChild
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 74 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 08:06 AM UTC
Since the idea of a carrier battle group's already been suggested (although since money, time and space are no object, I'd do it in 1/72 or 1/48 #:-) ), I would have to say my next ultimate dio would be the battle of Endor from ROTJ, with the planet, the Deathstar and the entire Rebel and Imperial fleets - of course now it's just getting silly

Cheers
Ed
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since the idea of a carrier battle group's already been suggested (although since money, time and space are no object, I'd do it in 1/72 or 1/48 #:-) ), I would have to say my next ultimate dio would be the battle of Endor from ROTJ, with the planet, the Deathstar and the entire Rebel and Imperial fleets - of course now it's just getting silly

Cheers
Ed

Well I guess that I was being too reasonable for 1/350....I agree much bigger is better :-)
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 11:37 AM UTC
Well if a Hangar scene from the Yavin moonbase in 1/72 or a Hoth snowcave base scene are out, maybe a Vietnam Riverene scene. PBR's,Monitors, Seawolf gunships... in 1/35
Or a PACV hovercraft tearing across flooded paddies chasing fleeing VC/NVA
Or Carlos Hathcock (sp?) 2man stand vs the large NVA unit.. Company(?)
Several of the big battle scenes from Low Level Hell..

Or the entire Battle for Berlin..

Mike
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A modern Carrier Battlegroup in 1/350 w/ all the amphibs and support ships.

Lets do it in 1/72 Scale!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 03:05 PM UTC
I've got a couple;
1) A mega-sized Naval air station in 1/48 scale. All the Naval and Marine Corps sqaudrons would be represented.
2) An Air show set in 1/72 scale with practicaly every plane i can fit on the field. It would have all the Air demonstration teams from around the world all the way back to the Wright Bros. plane.
3) The United States Marine Corps Silent Drill Team in 120mm.

I'll think up some more later :-)
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 05:48 AM UTC
Gunnie Iam with you on the idea. Maybee I would do an ambush scene with some Guntrucks, Supply Trucks, NVA guys and American guys. Like I said in the "Dream Diorama" post a while back.

The only other thing I can think of is a huge scene from the Starship Troopers movie. One of the last battles when the roughnecks clean up that base, and all the bugs start to attack.

Mike
Chopper
Visit this Community
entire network: 5 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 06:04 AM UTC
Same of most of you

Either

German Invasion of Stalingrad
The Fall of Berlin
or
Ending war scene of Saving Private Ryan
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 09:25 AM UTC
How about the whole Arnhem bridge, with Grabner's kampf. rolling towards Frost's British paras? I think I almost have enough room in my basement. Can I shuttle contest judges to the house because I won't be able to get it up the stairs... LOL
PfcGreen
Visit this Community
entire network: 103 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 10:02 AM UTC
I wouldnt mind a 1/9th scale H.M.S. Victory.
Chopper
Visit this Community
entire network: 5 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 10:39 AM UTC
I was thinking how about a 1/100 USS Enterprise or 1/100 KittyHawk
prbesch
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 12:45 PM UTC
Excellent topic .It must be we`re on page 5 already...(will anyone even read this far?)...... anyway considering your perameters you`ve given us and the fact that i`ve wanted to do this for quite a while now here it is .My diorama would be on the day of 29 March 1945,located on the autobahn near Giesen ,Germany.Thosands of German prisoners would be traveling down the median divider (west of course) and all scratch built carrying everthing they owned under the sun except their weapons although some still had A few from what I understand.And of course all makes of U.S. equipment of the 6th Armord Division headed east on both sides of Germany`s famous high way.Now many out there will think that I got this idea from watching HBO`s excellant BAND OF BROTHERS although i thought that the overpass and two German children were a nice touch,(maybe even usable in the dio), but the fact is I read the late Steven Ambrose`s book over 10 years ago, then my interest was peaked again when the same photo appeared again in Concords THE M4 SHERMAN AT WAR, by S.j.Zaloga....It would either be that or something depicting a BLACK HAWK DOWN. ALL MODELING IS GOOD MODELING......prbesch.....Please,all, call me [email protected]
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 03:47 AM UTC
My ultimate would be the massive tank battle outside and inside of Lvov during the opening stages of Operation Barbarosa where a few of the panzer divisions of Army Group South ran into a massive Soviet armor formation and 3 days of what was then the largest tank battle ever took place (the only bigger armor battle was Kursk). The reason that I would rather do this than Kursk is due to the subjects at hand.

Soviets: BT-2s, BT-5s, BT-7s, T-28s, T-34 mod 40s, T-34 mod 41s, T-26s, KV-2s, and KV-IBs made up the bulk of the force (they also had a few T-35s thrown in for good measure).

Germans: Halftracks galore (250s, 251s, and all of the prime mover varities), Pz IICs, Pz III E-Hs, Pz IV C-Es, Pz 38(t)s, StuG III As, Panzerjager Is, SdKfz 221s, SdKfz 222s, Sdkfz 223s, and 8-rad armored cars made up the bulk of the force.

Not to mention the artillery and men involved. I love the early war Soviet and German stuff so this battle certainly takes the cake for me. :-)
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 07:14 AM UTC
I've got several suggestions:
How 'bout Dunkirk 1940: big collums of trucks been driven into the sea to form piers where the Tommies walk over, while the French are struggling to keep the Jerries at a distance, with loads of Stukas to bombard the hell out of all conceivable ships mustered?
Or a WW1 attack? Cambrai if you want to do the armor, with about a infantery division every 3 km's? Think of the ammount of terrain work needed for this!
A complet Brittish division of "Funnies"would be nice too!
Or ..., or... or..., MUMMY, they're nagging me!!!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was thinking how about a 1/100 USS Enterprise or 1/100 KittyHawk

When I visited the NASM in 1985, they had a 1/100 modern carrier on display with full contingent of its airwing on deck.
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 06:20 AM UTC
I would try to do a Das boot diorama in 1/35 scale ... You know the german seaport with the, so called, the ultimate submarine ( about 75 m long and 10 m high), and a german tank patrolling around the base.

That would be a life-project for me ....

/Jamal
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 07:37 AM UTC
I would have to say the carrier battle group in 1/48th would take the cake. I'll do the Nimitz, you guys can do the rest. Who does the base board? You think 300' X 600' would be big enough?

Rob
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 142 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 07:52 AM UTC
something that dosent repaet its self too much...something in Mosscow...Greneades, snipers, bombed out buildings tip lots of them, with every little corener of everybombed building with its own little special touch...with a couple of tancks...with mud, heaps of troops, from both sides, attackings Germans, Gremans snooping around, Russians defending, Russinsa waiting their time...Yip...its a pasterpeice :-)
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 357 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 10:00 AM UTC
My super diorama is already started(planned,sketched, now acquiring the final kits and details).My dream diorama would be a Marine Assault carrier wiuth complete interior,launching LCU's chock full of armor and transports,in 1/35!!!!!!!!!Yeah,BABY!YEAH!! Now,I will spend weeks thinking and plotting,then finding references,just to see if the investment in plasti-struct and evergreen will pay off.I won't sleep for weeks just trying to figure out where I can put it.Guardian self storage?I will have to move the kids out,and by the time I finish that one,they will have their own home anyway so...........
Another obsession