_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Money is no object
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 443 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 09:05 AM UTC
Given that size was irrelevant, money was no problem and you had all the spare time in the world, what you try to create that would be your own masterpiece? The one dio that when completed you could sit back, let your paint dry up and never feel the urge to buy another kit.
I think maybe the one for me would be one of the final stands in a fallen German city. There would be a mixture of soldiers from different regiments including Luftwaffe, old men and young boys come out to defend their homes. Also due to the late time of the war a variety of vehicles would be present, with road blocks set up and I have seen pictures of tanks in the middle of the street with only their turret above ground level. Everyone would be waiting for the attack they knew was coming and had only one possible outcome.

Maybe if you got this one out of your system it would be the end of your quest for the perfect dio?......................or would it just be replaced by a bigger more ambitious one?

Robbo
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hmm... If I had enough money and space, and there was a time when everyone would just leave me alone so I could get something done.... It would be my masterpiece.... :-) :-) :-)

A Return of the Jedi dio. Inside the Death Star II. The structure if the dio would be the interior access tunnels of the Death Star, large enough to fly a starship through. (You SW geeks know where I'm going with this! )
I'd have a long portion of the Death Star II interior tunnels, complete with lighting and superdetailing. There would be the Milennium Falcon flying inside, along with numerous Rebel fighters and Ties. I would constuct the tunnels with an opening, allowing a view of the action inside.
I know there's a picture of this somewhere, but I can't find it to post...
BTW, there's another thread with cool dio ideas here.

YodaMan
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 09:26 AM UTC
The ultimate project would have to be a diorama of the battle at Kursk. Wide open fields covered with hundreds of pieces of armor. An armor builder's dream.

Patrick
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 09:36 AM UTC
Mine would be a Convoy Staging Area during the Vietnam War - with a lot of cargo trucks of various sizes snaked around as they did when getting ready to move out - with about a dozen Gun Trucks moving into the formation. No fantasy stuff here, a recreation of a particular mission with all the correctly modeled vehicles that participated in that run.

Oh, perchance to dream...

Gunnie
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 10:02 AM UTC
I would do a massive diorama of the Folgore Division's stand at El Alamein, which bought some time for the other non-motorized Italian divisions to withdraw.

The dio would have the trenches and sandbags of the Italian defences, with a few 47mm AT guns, some Italian 81mm mortars, and a bunch of paratroopers. Attacking them at close range would be 8th Army infantry and tanks. I could also have some Semoventes and M13/40s or M14/41s of the Ariete Division counterattacking.

Nic
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 10:08 AM UTC
There are so many ideas...

- a whole bunch of hueys landing US troops in elefant grass in Vietnam...
- one of the big battles from the Lord of the Rings, with plenty of action in the bacground and in the foreground a hobbit sticking a dagger into a black rider
- marines assaulting a hill where japanese troops are entrenched

and how many others... #:-) #:-)
As soon as one of these would be finished, I would be turning to the next one that would certainly be my masterpiece !
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 10:13 AM UTC
A huge Vietnam firebase....Artillery Helo's Bunkers......The whole nine yards.......

Matt
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 293 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 10:27 AM UTC
For me, it would have to be the battle of Kursk. The Soviets fielded 60% of their tank forces for the battle.....that would be a whole lot of models #:-)

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 10:39 AM UTC
For me it would be the 7th brigade holding the line at the start of the Yom kippur war.trenches mine-rolling t-55s,t55 avlbs and t62s getting wacked by Kahalanis centurions.

Josh Weingarten
Aka shiryon
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 10:41 AM UTC
Mine would probably be the entire battle at Omaha Beach.And Im talking the WHOLE enchilada.
If not that then maybe Col.Robin Old's daring Operation Bolo.Have all the F-4s in multiple scales in Thud formations setting the perfect trap for those NVAF commie rat bas****s lol.

Oh and YM I know whacha be talking bout homie g skillet.That would be pretty awesome.And Penpen your idea about the LOTR would be astounding to actually build and see.Especially the opening battle of Fellowship of the Ring.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 11:42 AM UTC
My ultimate would be a fantasy piece.

May-June 1945
Several Tiger II's with infantry support backing up a Maus or E-100. They are clashing head on into an entrenched American force supported by Pershings, with a "Super" Pershing or two in the mix.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 11:48 AM UTC
First would be Little Round Top as the 20th Maine began its wheel into the Alabamians (in 54mm scale) Plenty of dead and wounded, multiple vignettes to flesh out the action. Then, on a grander scale, I'd take on the last moments of Custer's last battle at the Greasy Grass, showing the full line of retreat with fallen troopers, others cruched behind their ponies, Sioux counting coup, hand to hand, desperate fighting, troopers helpling each other and helping each other out of this life. Hundreds of charging Lakota on painted ponies, some with captured guidons, many with sodiers' pistols and carbines.

But if it means putting down brush and blade, fugheddaboudit!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 12:05 PM UTC
If only!!!!!! (enough said)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 12:20 PM UTC
I've seen a large scale resin model of an M1A1 tank in 1/25 scale. I would like to do one of these and superdetail the interior, engine and exterior. I would do it in the markings of my favorite tank, A-65 of 5-77 Armor. This was the most colorful tank I owned and had a full color Tazmanian Devil on the front slopes of the turret. I had a lot of fun on that ride,"Almighty Taz II".
bytepilot
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
entire network: 381 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 03:56 PM UTC
Well, mine would be either one of these:

1. The Arnhem bridge against the backdrop of Operation Market Garden. Allied paras on one side, and the Germans on the other. A landscape dotted with debris and bodies from both sides. Trucks and vehicles littering the bridge. A scene right out from 'A Bridge Too Far.
2. The German Invasion of Stalingrad. Again, from the movie 'Enemy At The Gates'
3. The Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor, with hundreds of men dead or dying in the water. Stricken warships all around. Jap dive bombers wheeling and diving between them(now that would be the most difficult part )
4. A scene from the Battle of Britain at its peak hour(an absolute nightmare, I'm sure !)

Sigh! Any of these, IMHO, would take me half of my remaining years to complete #:-)......

Cheers,
BP.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 06:01 PM UTC
How about the Birdge on the River Kwai blowing up as a train passes over. It would be fun if you like to build trees and bridges......... hey, maybe Eric (demodelbouwer)should do this one

Nic
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 07:11 PM UTC
If money is not an object, I will start to dating super models.... #:-) #:-)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 10:42 PM UTC
Battle of Kursk for me also.

But I do like the Super model Idea a great deal too.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 11:20 PM UTC
Hey SS74, for a few seconds I stayed dumb in front of your latest posts... What kind of model are you talking about ?
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:07 AM UTC
#:-) Man I'm going crazy just thinking of all the possibilities #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) ! I think the ultimate Dio would be a huge Ardennes scene with snow and trees and houses in a Belgian village with a long line of German vehicles and troops in mass confusion because of an American roadblock that prevents them from moving. Just think Tiger IIs, Support vehicles, self propelled guns, motorcycles and Kuebels and Schwimmwagons, troops, horses and Lions and Tigers and Bears....OH MY! OK now back to reality....I hardly have room for the stuff I have built now.....I'll settle for a little vignette of the Tamiya Tiger II with dispatch rider. The End...Jeff
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:20 AM UTC
1/16th scale battle of Kursk... the WHOLE THING!!!!

Nate
Wisc. USA
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:33 AM UTC
First of all I would never want to finish it cuz it would represent the END of my kit building.

I would have to do portions of the Battle of the Bulge.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 04:02 AM UTC
Pershing II Launch Pad... six TELs plus all the support, bunkers etc., circa Germany, October 1973. In full erect position. To include all us Infantry types running around wondering just what the hell was going on. (Yom Kipper War when the Soviets threatened to send in a AB Brigade)

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 04:06 AM UTC
Bastogne, complete.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 05:05 AM UTC
I would build a 1:1 scale spitfire, down to the minutest detail. Or a 1/24 scale boxed diorama of a scene from the battle of Briton. Probably something like the scene which adorns my desktop. A Robert Taylor painting of Robert Stanford Tucks' first kill in the battle, viewed from above, awsome :-)
 _GOTOTOP