Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
I've been "Downsized"
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 12:43 PM UTC
Well, folks, I was hoping to have abit of good ns for you when I got back to this fine site, but alas it is not to be. As of 1645 EST, my position at workm was eliminated. Not much of a surprise, but it was a bit abrupt. My director handed me off to the manager without so much as a "Good Luck", and then I packed up my desk and was out the gate by 1700. I'm telling myself it's all for the best, as this job has been turning to slow poison over the last few months, but it's still difficult NOT to panic when you've got a disability,two kids, and no health insurance...Ah well, life is what happens while you're planning something else.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 01:33 PM UTC
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they gave you some sort of severance to hold you over for a little
slodder
Visit this Community
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 01:39 PM UTC
aaaa man, that stinks
I'm sorry. Sounds like you have a decent attitude about it.
I live in Cary - if there are any strings I can try to pull let me know. Drop me a PM and I can see if I can do some name dropping and try and get an inside scoop for you.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 01:59 PM UTC
Oh wow, Robert...Man that does suck. I do hope things will turn for the better and you can find a new and much much better place to work.

My thoughts are with you and yours.

Best of Luck
Steve
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 02:49 PM UTC
Robert,
That does bite.
Looks like you have some marketable skills though. Hopefully you will find something soon.

Are you still in the Reserves? No ART positions open around there? Or was that where you were 'downsized' from?

Not sure if you are willing to relocate, but there has got to be positions open in the military-industrial complex for your skill set. Air Force Research Lab? Edwards AFB?

Good luck. And if there is anything we can do let us know.

Keith
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:26 PM UTC
Hi Robert

That's awful - although you say this was't a total surprise, you still must be reeling. It's small comfort at a time like this, but I've always found the "As one door closes, another opens" motto to be true; things WILL work out - and for the better.

Take care

Rowan
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:29 PM UTC
I had the same thing happen to me about 6 years ago. Not even a "Good luck" or "Keep in touch". I had that job for over 14 years and BAM out the door. Hang in there buddy. Just keep a positive attitude and keep on trying. There is something out there.

Jesse
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 12:22 AM UTC
Rob hang in there in same position 18.5 years with govt agency then sory hees a redundancy - we are not asking you to take it-??????
Your a gifted gent as your other friends have stated.
I will pray for outcomes soon for you Rob
God Bless
Ian
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 12:26 AM UTC
Hi Robert,
That's real Sh*** news mate..Really. But like the old saying goes " when one door closes another always opens". If there is anything I can do just holler. Good luck to you i'm sure it will all work out though.
Cheers
Bryan
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 02:39 AM UTC
Hi Robert. Sorry to hear about the downsizing. I also adhere to that old adage that about closing and opening doors (having been through it myself a few times). Maybe, in the long run, this will turn out for the best and you will find yourself in a new position that isn't poison. Best of luck in the job search.

Keith
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 03:32 AM UTC
Really sorry to hear that. Let's hope that what's behind that new door is a lot better.
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 03:38 AM UTC
Robert..man i am soo sorry to hear that. I know what its like suddenly getting told see ya without so much as a nice friendly handshake...But i am sure you will rise to the occasion. Besides, with a family as big as the one you have here..you have nothing to worry about. I'm sure i can speak for most everyone here, if you need anything, anything..just please don't hesitate to ask.
Mary (++)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 03:48 AM UTC
Robert,
Sorry to hear this. Whatever you do don't panic. I can attest to this as a bad strategy.

Just keep looking at the bright side, you got out of what sounded like a miserable job. A better one certainly is out there somewhere and it will find you when you least expect it.

Best wishes,
Jim
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 05:57 AM UTC
Robert, you're walking the steps that any one of us, except those few who work for themselves, may walk one day. The one thing I'm sure of is that as bad as being out of work is, working in some jobs is worse. That's easy to say when I have a job, but I've experienced it myself and after I got over my despair, I truly did find I was better off. I hope and pray that is going to be the case with you. Hang in there, you'll get through this. The "one door opens" etc. line has been used a lot. Another one though is "that which does not kill us makes us stronger." I believe in both of those.

Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hi Robert sorry to here the news mate, I was in the same boat had a heart attack Bye Bye career, now Ive got two disabilitys a dicky ticker and im fifty, but I got a job in fact I got two.Dont let it get you down mate I gave the old Job the finger and braught all turrets to bare on the job front . It will come good.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 06:43 AM UTC
Robert -

"Downsizing" don't you just love that term - probably coined by the same corporate weenie who came up with "work smarter not harder".

I feel your pain. I have had a number of ups and down in my professional life. Do you have a Monster account? I have had good luck so far and a number of interviews have resulted.

PM me if you have any questions on the ins and outs of the Monster Board.
zoomie50
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 358 Posts
KitMaker Network: 164 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 06:55 AM UTC
I'm truly sorry to hear what happened Robert. I also believe in the when one door closes another opens. So hang in there and don't let dispair take hold. If we can do anything at all don't hesitate to ask.
Jerry and Linda :-)8
LogansDad
Visit this Community
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hey.
Sorry to dump on everyone like this, I was just in a really bad mood at the way I'd been'done'. I do appreciate all of the encouragement & the offers of support, when I have my own 'net access (still using public terminals... )I'll most likely follow up on some of the offers. I just can't get over how amazing this site is-well, actually, how amazing all of YOU are. I salute you ,and thanks again.

No, Ihaven't been . That starts in about an hour :-)

But seriously, thanks Jim for the site, & thanks to all of you for your support. I hope to be spending more time with all of you in the near future.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 02:18 PM UTC
Well, no matter what happens, never lose hope. Remember, the Good Lord will never leave your side, and it's true what they say: When one door closes, another opens.

and:

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

and:

If a door doesn't open, break it open!

Good luck and God Bless.