TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Favorite WW II movie?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 03:55 PM UTC
I don't think there is a single "war" movie made that I did not like...as long as it had some action, that's all that mattered! But, more recently like many others here, I look for accuacy with the vehicles in the movies...not a problem, just kinda get a kick I when I see M48's or something being used as German Tigers or Panthers...lol
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 06:43 PM UTC
Most movies show war as something heroic. To most people, war is a tragedy. The end of the life as they knew it, often the loss of people that are dear to them - both civilians and military.
SPR and A Bridge too far show some of the reality of that.
Then again, Das Boot shows in a gripping way how life can be in the cramped space of a U boat sailing perilous waters. Same feeling that was brought in the movie about the Russian tank in Afghanistan. (I know, that's not WWII...)

Jan
Doppler
Visit this Community
entire network: 58 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 06:49 PM UTC
SPR, The Great Escape, Patton, and always Das Boot.

But heck, if I find any black and white 40's/50's WW2 movie on AMC- I'm done for the afternoon. I have seen one with Gene Kelly, where he was a US Navy rep working with the British to devise a new torpedo, and I love it. But I have no clue the title.

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 09:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

just kinda get a kick I when I see M48's or something being used as German Tigers or Panthers...lol

Back then before computer enhanced pictures of the right type of plane could be added or there were a good supply of ersatz panzers, they had to use what was available. Besides, it gives good shots of some older tanks in the movies.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 01:11 AM UTC
One Bridge too far, The Guns of Navarone, Mae Belle (airforce, but still good)
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 03:48 AM UTC
Hey guys,
I like SPR, Kellie's Heroes, Battle of Britain, Where Eagles Dare, and U-571. I also like the PBS documentary on the Battle of the Bulge.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 04:55 AM UTC
Ya know guys. After reading through the posts here I dropped my Saving Private Ryan DVD in the player and watched it again (I watch it fairly often) Terrific film!
I'm not afraid to say gents, that everytime I watch it, I cry like a baby...

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought it would have been metioned by now, what about Patton? Even my wife liked it and she doesn't like army movies. Anyone else like this one?

You know Andrew, your post got me thinking about the theme or music from ' Patton', which got me thinking of other WW II movie themes and 'presto' I remembered one of my favorite movie themes. Now it doesn't have any armour in it , but it's a great movie. the one I'm thinking of is ' 633 Squadron'. Loved that movie. And while I'm on the subject, how about
' Dam Busters!'?

Tread.
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 01:04 AM UTC
Oh man, my list is endless....Saving Private Ryan is by far the best but I also like "The Bridge at Remagen" I don't think anyone has mentioned that one yet. But Das Boot, Big Red One, Cross of Iron, Guns of Navarone all rank pretty high on my list as well
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Keep him tied it makes him well, he's getting better can't you tell?"

Chappy is that a quote from one of your favorite movies??
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 02:50 AM UTC
Not a movie, and it only lasted about 10 minutes was this special in between movies on AMC or HBO or Cinemax (or something) about the military motorpools used by Hollywood. TV I was watching was one that didn't have a VCR and it was over very quickly. Among the items spotlighted was a Pz IV that looked like a Pz IV, but from the fenders on down was a Sherman. They basically cut the top off a Sherman and made a Pz IV top. They had plenty of vehicles made to look like military versions. Interesting show, but never showed up in the TV Guide listing or TV Guide channel. It appeared to be filler when the end of a movie came before the top of the hour.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 04:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,

from time period are these movies? 1950s? 1960s? 1970s? I would like to know so that I know where to look in the videostore...
TIA

Amigo--the film "Breakthrough" and "The Tanks Are Coming" are 1950-1952 films. Operation Daybreak with Timothy Bottom is a 1970-80 film. Let me know if you need more details
DJ
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 06:36 AM UTC
Here is my list Cross or Iron,Anzio,A Bridge to far,Patton,SPR,Enemy at the Gates The thing I loved about Enemy at the gates was how it showed how the communists were just as brutal to there own troops as the nazis were I just wonder what type of tank the pz3 mockup was made on Another good one was The Misfit Brigade It was about a panzer penal unit made up of criminals from Germany on the russian front It's not available anymore It was based on a series of books from Sven Hassel Also known as Wheels of Terror
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...The Misfit Brigade It was about a panzer penal unit made up of criminals from Germany on the russian front It's not available anymore It was based on a series of books from Sven Hassel Also known as Wheels of Terror

Yesss, Generalzod. I have been trying to remember those books for weeks! I read them a long while ago. Very good books. As you said, based on criminals who were freed to fight on the Eastern Front. Many thx for clearing that up, now I can track 'em down :-)
But wait, you said it's not available anymore. Do you mean the movie or the books?
Also, the name of the movie was the 'Misfit Brigade'?

Thx,

Tread.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 09:01 AM UTC
Tread I read those books when I was based in the U.K. when I was in the Air Force Over there the movie was called Wheels of Terror Here in the U.S. it's the Misfit Brigade (movie) I drive tractor trailer all over the U.S. If you want I'll keep a lookout for the movie I don't believe it's out anymore but I may lookout Send me an e-mail if you want
Chad
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 05:57 PM UTC
"Keep him tied it makes him well, he's getting better can't you tell?"
This is a line from "Sanatarium" by Metallica.....seemed appropriate after a day of modelling
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 07:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Same feeling that was brought in the movie about the Russian tank in Afghanistan. (I know, that's not WWII...)

Jan

Jan, that movie was "The Beast". i saw it on HBO around '88 or '89. Was a very good movie, but it was of the Afghan War.

BTW, what tank is that? T72???
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 07:11 PM UTC
Come on Ken, look at that gap between the first and second road wheel. That's a sure sign of a T-54/55. T-72 also has a much lower profile than that. It probably is supposed to replicate a T-62 though, they were in use during most of the Afghan War.
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 12:57 AM UTC
I forgot about "The Beast" ....VERY good movie, I think I have it on VHS somewhere unless the wife taped her soaps on it like she did Pvt. Ryan
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 02:10 AM UTC
I've never seen the movie, according to Ken's post, it was while I was stationed in Germany (entire TV series came and went while I was over there like Twin Peaks and never got to see). It looks interesting, I may have to try to track down a copy. Any additional info if it is available on VHS?
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 02:15 AM UTC
Das Boot, Stalingrad, Saving Private Ryan
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 07:08 PM UTC
Peckinpah´s Cross of Iron, Thin Red Line, Big Red One.
Ryan is technically stunning, but I really don´t know about the cheesy parts...
Oh and yes, Dirty Dozen rules!(One of the best title sequences ever!)
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 07:30 PM UTC
Sabot-
The Beast is available on VHS, well worth the money to buy that one for sure
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 09:41 PM UTC
The Beast is a really good movie too.
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 06:04 PM UTC
Private Ryan,Stalingrad,Kelly's Heroes and Black Hawk Down.Oh and by the way the Sven Hassel books are available from Amazon for around £5.99 But make sure you read Legion of the Damned at the end and not at the start of the books otherwise you'll spoil it for yourselves! The Regiment is the 27th Panzer regiment although very little is recorded in reference books! The nearest you will find will be Info relating to the Dirlewanger Brigade or the Kaminski Brigade! These were both Penal regiments and just to show how sick they were the Dirlewanger was lead by a convicted paedophile by the name Dr. Oskar Dirlewanger.