TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Favorite WW II movie?
BSPRU
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 08:17 AM UTC
Saving Pvt. Ryan #1
Battleground with Van Johnson #2
A Walk in the sun #3
Band of Brothers #4
They were expendable#5
Bataan with nolan Ryan#6
Farewell to the King with nick nolte#7
for the allies
Cross of Iron
Stalingrad
winter war(russo-finnish war 1940)
for the other side
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Private Ryan,Stalingrad,Kelly's Heroes and Black Hawk Down.Oh and by the way the Sven Hassel books are available from Amazon for around 5.99 But make sure you read Legion of the Damned at the end and not at the start of the books otherwise you'll spoil it for yourselves! The Regiment is the 27th Panzer regiment although very little is recorded in reference books! The nearest you will find will be Info relating to the Dirlewanger Brigade or the Kaminski Brigade! These were both Penal regiments and just to show how sick they were the Dirlewanger was lead by a convicted paedophile by the name Dr. Oskar Dirlewanger.

Many, many thx Marek for the line on the Sven Hassel books! :-) I read them quite awhile ago and they always stuck in my mind. Very gritty stuff as I remember. I will have to order them....Oh great, more stuff to read

Tread.

Just remembered a little snippet from one of the books. One of the german soldiers is really greatful for the winter hats the russian soldiers are wearing because the little red star on the front of it acts as a great bullseye!
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 02:30 AM UTC
That would be Porta from Wheels of Terror my young apprentice bookworm!
I'm going to try my best too find a copy of the film!
Here's another quote
"They had crushed all that was Human in us.We Knew only retaliation with the murderous weapons they had pressed into our hands!
Our knowledge of Anatomy was worthy of a doctor.Blinded,we knew where a shot or a knife would cause the maximum pain.
Satan sat behind a stone and laughed."

I think that about sums up this wicked collection of near horror stories!
Epic
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 03:24 AM UTC
When i first started reading this thread, I thought, "Wow, I'll bet no one thought of these...".

But someone did. Stole all of my thunder. So, showing no traces of originality, here are some of my favorites: Bridge Too Far, Bridge at Remagen, Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare, and of course, Kelly's Heroes.

I feel so...ordinary!
Tiger_Tony
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 12 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 09:21 AM UTC
WoW So many to choose from-for realism gotta be Saving Private Ryan-For fun-Kellys Heroes and Dirty Dozen

Honorable mentions-POW category-Stalag 17,Bridge on the River Kwai,King Rat
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 10:16 AM UTC
For me, it's "Battleground", following a platoon of the 101st during the Battle of the Bulge. I think it was one of the first war movies I ever saw that really showed the hell of combat. And, being an old "jarhead", "Sands of Iwo Jima" has to be there as well.
shermaholic
Visit this Community
entire network: 1 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 10:24 AM UTC
hello

my fav. movies of world war two would have to be enemy at the gates and saving private ryan they both kick!

Ryan