_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
introduction please!
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 12:55 PM UTC
Hi all fellow Malaysian...

maybe it's late but it's not too late to put on introduction page for all of us here....I knew some of you already but i guess the rest of us want to know who we are...

let me begin first...

The name is Ahmad Zaidi B Md Din. I'm 30 and curently living in Putrajaya with a wife and a daughter. I'm a government officer (servant of the gov..). Modelling carrier started when i was a kid. Those days i build 1/72 aircraft...Start to come back seriously somewhere in 1999. Then i started to build armour and 1/48 jets.

okay..i hope all of us can tell a lil' bit about yourselves.

Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 447 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 05:56 PM UTC
Hello EVERYONE,

Recently joined Armorama but not too new in the modelling community. I am Kenny also serving the Malaysian government in KL.

Started scale modelling rather young with Matachbox and Tamiya kits. I then switched to Sci-Fic during the good-old Star Wars and Star Trek days. Then, went into serious business with AFV.

Nowadays, I primarily work on AFV but also on subs, planes and F1.
oraora
Visit this Community
Kuching, Malaysia
entire network: 216 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 06:04 PM UTC
ok...

My name Kenny, i'm from Kuching, Sarawak. I'm 26 and is Single at the moment but attached. I'm a programmer by profession but i'm also working part-time with a government agency.

My interest is in 1/72 aircrafts (especially cold-war jets), 1/35 military figures and gundams/macross.
Started modelling as a kid but never get to own an airbrush!

beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 06:17 PM UTC
Good Zaidi, you've started a more formal introduction. I reckon I'm the oldest modeller in this community forum. Started my modelling with Airfix and Frog and when a small can of enamel paint was less than RM 1. Got back this year after building my last model more than 25 years ago partially due to the Home Ministry being busy at work.

Unfortunately lost the feeling for AFV and planes as I now spend most of my time on figures and dios. Dioramas was something I always wanted to do as a kid but didn't know how and of course there was no Internet. I work in a biotech firm but still haven't figured out what I really do there.
Target_J
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 06:41 PM UTC
Hi All,

I am Jeremy. Currently "attached but available".

Work in Kelana Jaya area. Working for a company involved in importing and distributing foods.

Main interest is 1/48 WWII fighters and 1/35 armours.

Plenty of build kits but not painted.

Would definitely like to meet up with you guys in person.

Valkyrie
Visit this Community
Alur Setar, Malaysia
entire network: 143 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 02:34 PM UTC
Hello everyone. I'm Hairil. Currently residing in Kedah but originally from Johor. Started modeling since Standard 6......now i'm 32 - married but no kids yet. I am an officer at UUM. Started modeling with 1/144 planes. Stopped temporarily during my A-levels then continue while at UK....at the same time turning to sci-fi models. Now have returned to 'real' world but mainly doing WW2 stuff, planes mostly. Since the last few months have turned modern with 1/72 jets.
mislmd
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 05:37 PM UTC
Well ... looks like I am the first "girl modeler" to say

My name is Aisyah. I am originally from the United States. I lived on a small island beach resort along the eastern seaboard called Ocean City in the state of New Jersey. My husband (who is the more experienced "modeler" of our household) and I live in Meru.
Back in the US I was employed as a newspaper journalist and served as a Board Member for my town's school district. Like a few of you ... my husband is also a government employee.
I haven't been modeling for too long ... just a few months. However, I do have a small stash of unopened models just waiting to be built! Currently I am working on a Marder III for the Ardennes campaign.
When I am not busy working on my models, my other interests include web designing, cooking and reading.

Aisyah
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 06:58 PM UTC
hi evryone. my name's shairon sham, 32 yrs, currently living in shah alam, working as an architect in a firm near bandar sunway pj. i'm married with a daughter 13 months old

started modelling (the plastic kit kind!) after spm, right through my a-levels and study in uk. used to build afvs, planes, ships, cars, bikes & figures.... but now narrowing it down to mostly ww2 afvs 1/35 & ww2 planes 1/72 1/48 (i'm a ww2 nut!).. plus a little modern tanks & planes as well.

currently working on a dml panzer III with tristar DAK tank crews. being a family man, my model-making time is quite limited, so i only work on them after dinner or on weekends.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 07:32 PM UTC

:[]--
yo Jimbo..where on earth do u get those tristar DAK crews??

in the mean time, keep on with the introduction.....
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 07:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

:[]--
yo Jimbo..where on earth do u get those tristar DAK crews??

i bought them from hobby hq for rm30+, that was some time ago, before puasa i think. but then the shop haven't got many tristar kits in stock.
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 12:36 AM UTC
Hi everybody my name is Lim Guo Chai. I'm 16 this year, which probably makes me the youngest one in this malaysian community.. I started actually way back when I was a kid with those tamiya racing cars, the only models I had were some given to me by cousins, unfortunately they ended up as toys which were trashed in the garden
I have only recently begun to pursue this hobby again.. I build mostly armor, but dont mind the odd plane or ship. As a student, I am often bankrupt, therefore I dont have many kits or things like airbrushes. My work is still very amatuerish, but I hope to get better as I go along.

edit: I also like designing things, what do you guys think of my dive dive dive banner?
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 12:14 PM UTC
Ave aka Lim,
wa...until now i just knew that you're that young... well it's good to have kid of today to do modelling...

Quoted Text

edit: I also like designing things, what do you guys think of my dive dive dive banner?

The banner look amazing....me to love to design because my wife used to be a graphic designer .... maybe u can design a banner for each of us??
YongA01
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 03:25 PM UTC

It so interesting to read all your background of such variety...

Allan Yong, 33, blessed with 2 boys and a lovely Penang women. Working for a multinational Chemical company as head of Asia Pacific pocurement/ business planning. I am staying in a condo at PJ Sunway Damansara, near Bandar Utama area.

I used to build diorama back in 96-97 (most of my old diorama's in Miniature Hobby). Stop modelling due to seconded to Europe in mid 97, start again end 98 but venture into figures after attended one of the premier Belgium figure show which was truly inspiring. I was blessed and attended 3 of the best modelling show in the world i.e. Euromilitaire, World Expo and Chicago Show while I was in Europe. That was truly the beginning of my commitment into this hobby again.

I was repatriated back to Malaysia Mar03 after 6 years in Europe.

Today, I build merely single resin/metal 54mm figures and vignettes due to limited time available for this hobby.

Good news is a few diorama's in progress but not sure when they will be completed......
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 08:53 PM UTC
Hei Ave,

Nice banner. Are you in the Dive Dive campaign. I second Zaidi, maybe if its not too much work you can design something for us.

Mine will probably have someone (me of course) lying on the beach doing ABSOLUTELY nothing. Well not completely nothing if you consider sleeping as something. Why can't sleeping be made into a profession?
Valkyrie
Visit this Community
Alur Setar, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 01:09 PM UTC
Hi Allan, well I'd do that if were you too, going to all the nice model shows. Alas, I only managed to go to some AirShows when I was there (Farnborough and Paris to be exact). Heck, the war museums in UK also stock models (mainly Airfix - support the local industry!)

HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
entire network: 175 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 04:32 AM UTC
Hi everyone !

Just joined today and posted pics at the same time. I was wondering where you guys ( and one gal I understand ) are. This hobby being solitary in nature doesn't give one much of a chance to meet up with other like-minded folks. I was fortunate to come to know 'Floogen' and he introduced me to this place. Thanks, Alan.

This is a comeback thing for me and wouldya believe after more than 20 years ?! I had to catch up on the latest techniques used today. When I resumed the hobby I was still handpainting my models ! Horrors !!!!!! Got myself a Badger 150 (F) a year or a couple ago, I forgot coz time sure flies when I have my face buried in my workbench. It's the only one I own and I worked it to death coz it's broken in three places . Got it fixed myself though and it's still in working order. Anyone wanna sell the Anthem 155 ? This should do for now. Gotta go kacau Floogen.

Best regards
HauntedTank
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 12:22 PM UTC
Yo Patrick,

welcome to Armorama and to this lilttle comunity.. as u read this thread most of us are from klang valley plus oraora in kuching, valkyrie in kedah...

i'm glad that u found alan... next u will find beachbum our senior comrade...

moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 03:12 PM UTC
welcome aboard patrick...
waa.. 20 years?? so what got you started again? any kits currently in-progress?
btw nice pics in your gallery, i also like the 'presentation' of the finished models. i see that you sold off some of them. any stories behind that?

ta.
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hi Silantra and moJimbo
Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words. Glad you liked the pics. OK, I'll make this brief so's not to bore you guys instead.

My very first taste of fine scale 'toys' was a box of 1/72 British 8th Army from Airfix. Dad ( a Meteorological Observer with the RAAF, B'worth ) bought it during the days when the Aussies were stationed here and stuff like these were plenty and cheap ! 95 sen ! My first kit was Airfix's 1/72 Hawker Siddley Gnat ( Red Arrows ). Of course it was a botched job. My collection grew until I own almost everything in the Airfix catalog and more - Revells, Auroras, Monograms etc. Built mostly for play and I had armies and accompanying hardware. Destroyed all eventually when I switched to skirt chasing :-)8 and football. Came back 10 years later - 1/35 Tamiyas mainly but didn't last long. Destroyed those also ( is there a smiley to represent 'idiot' ? ). Had a go at archery and won some gongs shooting for Pg. All that time collected anything WWII I can get - movies, documentries, books and mags. But always wished I still have those models I destroyed. Was in London summer of '99 and visited the Imperial War Museum. Hung on ceiling - P51D ('Big Beautiful Doll'),Spit MKI, FW190A. On ground, tanks - Churchill, Sherman, Matilda, T34/85 and Jagdpanther. Inspired I wanted to build my own 'museum' w/1/72s ( space constraint ). Started buying back all I'd lost mainly Airfix but now looking for better kits. Along the way, found eBay. Started selling my archery stuff and one unbuilt kit to finance my comeback. Unbuilt kit no takers so I built it for sale. Scored BIIIIG first time ( lucky ) . One thing led to another, met Allan on eBay and now I'm here. Currently building German Field Kitchen ( Tamiya ) diorama. Will post pics when it's done. Ta for now. I'll be baaaack..........
Best regards
Patrick
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 01:27 PM UTC
Hi Patrick and Welcome aboard. Heard from Alan (Floogen) about you earlier. Nice to have another modeller who does commercial quality work. Look forward to seeing your field kitchen. I can smell the turkey already.
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 05:10 AM UTC
( oops re-write, lost the message-working offline )

Aaaah the famous Beachbum whom Silantra predicted I'd find after getting to know Alan. You guys sure know whos' who around here. So...you were from the era when a tim of Humbrol or a bottle of Airfix enamel cost less than a buck a. Then you should recall, flower power, tie 'n' dyes and the peace movement. Probably
'......saw it, on that July afternoon...saw a man named Armstrong walked upon the moon.....' ( Lobo ).

There are three more like us and one even older who doesn't build anymore. Must be the eyesight thing. Glad to know you and I'll be looking in often to see if I can bump into you again.

Regards
Patrick
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 04:16 PM UTC
Well Patrick I'm not really famous, old yes. I was born in '62 so its near the tail end of the flower-power movement. All we had back then if you remember were just Airfix and a bit of Frog and Revell.

Don't think its the eyes. More like other commitments and the INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE prices of models nowadays. Anyway before I start complaining endlessly (a sign of old age for sure) I would really like to meet up if your'e down here. Just drop a line to Alan or me. We stay fairly close together.

Take care.
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hi again Beachbum and everyone,

Mmmmm.......me, '59 !. Dunno whether I should yell 'Yaaay ! I win' or 'Alamak ! I'm picking up the rear'.

Yeah...remember those Frog kits. They came after Airfix and around the same time as Matchbox. A 1/35 scale Tamiya AFV cost only around RM13 then, give or take a few bucks in case you 'kids' out there might want to know. Then again Char Koay Teow here was only 80 sen...with egg to boot at the time.

The 'eyesight' guy is on the wrong side of 50. Howsabouthat ? I should get the other '62 guys to sign up. If not mistaken there are three. I'll link them when I finish the Field Kitchen and post pics.

Oh, I was in Kay-El end of Nov. Dunno when I'll be going again coz I'm the type who don't go anywhere. I'm a 'housebum'. Went to MH though. Bought a 1/48 P38J. Dunno when I'll be able to build coz there's a F4U-1 Corsair ( Greg 'Pappy Boyington's Black Sheep Squadron markings ) in front of the queue among others.

Hey like your banner. Wish I had one with the M3 Stuart from the DC comics title 'Haunted Tank'.

I wonder how many of you use Future ? Perhaps when free I might share my experience. Have anyone tried other floor polish ? Guess what, the Cosway one works similar except it leaves a bluish hue on light colored a/c. Can't complain....cost only RM5 something.

Regards
Patrick
Valkyrie
Visit this Community
Alur Setar, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 12:33 PM UTC
Yeah Patrick, those are the days. My earliest kits are probably Nichimo or some other obscure Japanese company's. The first was a 1/144 Tomcat back when I was in Standard 3. My English is crappy, the instructions are vague the least and I end up pasting the decals along with the backing paper on the plane! As for glue, I use rubber glue (imagine the mess!) no painting and off for a dogfight with my brothers' toy planes.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 01:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah Patrick, those are the days. My earliest kits are probably Nichimo or some other obscure Japanese company's. The first was a 1/144 Tomcat back when I was in Standard 3. My English is crappy, the instructions are vague the least and I end up pasting the decals along with the backing paper on the plane! As for glue, I use rubber glue (imagine the mess!) no painting and off for a dogfight with my brothers' toy planes.

waaaaaaaa...u're that old too ???

hahahahaha....

sweet memories...while your guys first kit was made by major manufacturer, mine was a free give. I still remember my first model was Sea Harrier . It was free when purchase something..i forgot be it Maggi instant noodles or something else. then second purchased i got some US battleship...

_GOTOTOP