Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
I have lost my mojo...modeling mojo that is..
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 02:02 AM UTC
I am in a big modeling rut. I have not touched a model in several months and have absolutely no desire to do anything model related at this point in time. I guess, I have lost my mojo

I have been through this before (in my teen years) and back then the rut lasted about 8 years. Well, I certainly hope that it doesn't take me this long to get back into the swing of things.

Trying to force the issue, I've signed up for three campaigns and it looks like in the end I am not going to participate in any of them. I apologize to campaign leaders for this.

Simply the energy isn't there and I am not going to fight this feeling. I guess there is just too much going on outside of my hobby.

Who knows, perhaps things will get better soon.

So for now I bid you farewell and hope to be back here soon.

Over and out...
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 02:15 AM UTC
Dear Martin, I am so sorry to hear about your present situation sir...I hope that all works out well for you, I'm sure it will, and if there is anything that I can do to help, please feel free to contact me. Best regards, Take care and God Bless...

Sincerely,
Gunny
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 02:27 AM UTC
Hi Martin,

It's not nice when the 'urge' to do anything relating to modeling is not there. Although I do not ' lose my mojo', I do go through phases where I don't touch a model for weeks. Then I have periods where I can be up all night for days !! I find that if the inspiration is not there, there is no point trying as the results never please me. I have my 'work bench' in the kitchen and I wait untill the bug strikes again and go with the flow. My advice is to keep your modeling stuff ready to hand, in a quiet corner, but not sit down on purpose untill you feel the urge ( stop sniggering at the back). And keep visiting Armorama, as it is great for inspiration.

Good luck

Henk
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 08:52 AM UTC
i know how you feel, i went a little bit without touching a model. i didnt think about it for a while actually, but one day i just decided to pick up my paint and brush, and painted some figures. it'll come back

-shain
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 08:58 AM UTC
It comes and goes here also......
so don't feel so bad......
been through it many times since sailing on the Ark.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 09:05 AM UTC
I know how you feel marty. Ive had a rut of about 3 weeks now ... maybe more caused by work commitments than lack of "mojo". But Ive over-committed to campaigns as well .... have 4 on the go, and that is adding pressure I dont need. I feel tied. I built tamiyas carro armato M13/40 last weekend OOB and Ive started a vacuform building this weekend and they were fun. No stress at all. I still have no lust to work on any of my campaign items... which means they might not get done on time.
But modelling should be fun and if not ... take a break. The single best thing that works for me, when Im in a rut is to tidy up my modelling area. When its nice and clean and everythings in its place ... taking out a box and inspecting it is actually fun. Try it ... works for me every time!
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 09:23 AM UTC
I have to switch to keep the drive going. I model in 1/160, 1/35, and 1/25 and right now I am in the switching process right now as I am doing an N-Scale building remodeling job, a week ago I was doing a 1/25 El Camino, and a month ago I was working on a 1/35 HEMTT.
I have to do this to keep both the projects fresh and my interest fresh. They all work to make me a better modeler and that's the path I follow.

Halleu!

Cuhail
Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 639 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 09:30 AM UTC
well i lost my "mojo several times before i watched saving private ryan, that got me back in the mood
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 09:32 AM UTC
We all seem to suffer ‘depression’ in one way or another. With the last ‘loss of mojo’ I just scratchbuilt something and that was it.

I think we all forget from time to time that we are doing this for fun, not as a job.

Whenever the ‘overkill bug’ / depression gets to me, I take one of my ‘to whom it may concern’ models (usually 1/72 scale Airfix or Heller kits) out and just build it warts and all, no finesse at all! Just plonk it together, halfway through and the depression starts lifting. They are ugly, but sanity saviours to me, and great for practicing painting skills on. The last one I built was a Heller Spitfire mk1, damn it’s ugly!

Marty, I was just reading through your “Scratch Building Cobbles and Rubble”, hope you get your ‘mojo’ back soon, as we really need your help!
Marty
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 11:45 AM UTC
Friends, thanks for all the words of encouragement. It is true that the modeling drive comes and goes but this time it feels different and it is also taking waaay too long for me to come out of it. I am hanging up my modeling gloves for a little while (I hope ) but that does not mean that I am leaving the hobby. I will still lurk here and there and if anyone needs help and I can be of service, you will hear from me. Hey, if there is one reason why I cannot quit this hobby it's the fact that I have invested too much capital in tools, kits, books, etc to just walk away. Building models is a passion and that's why I am upset with the current state of things. It is not supposed to be like this.

Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 12:12 PM UTC
happens to everyone buddy! cheer up! best remedy, time, long but it works.

itl come back, its like a dog

Frank
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 12:14 PM UTC
Hello Marty, I wounldn't worry about it too much. Something will catch yor eye and inspire you again. I am pretty sure we all go through it. You never know what will rekindle the passion either.. a book, movie, display in a museum, whatever. Hope to hear from you soon.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 12:48 PM UTC
i have to add to what 19k said
Quoted Text

Something will catch yor eye and inspire you again.

you'll just see some wonderfull tank or plane or watever you liek to model and start drooling about it... then you'l buy it and build it and have a dio done.

Frank
whodini
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 359 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 - 03:09 PM UTC
The longest i've ever lost my modelling "mojo" Was for about 2 weeks. All because there were too many steps(uss Yorktown, or something, 3 years ago).

Hope you get better,

Rob
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 01:40 AM UTC
Good luck Martin.

Take your time...we'll be here anytime you feel like popping in for a chat.

Cheers
Peter
:-)
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 03:12 AM UTC
Hey there Marty,

Having been through this before, I know how you feel. Don't force it, when it's time for you to return to the light you will find your way back.

Best wishes

Tarok

kkeefe
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 06:11 AM UTC
Marty, it happens to us all. Chum up with a friend and if I can be of assistance, the next time that you're going to be in Marlborough, let me know, bring your 'kit' along and come on over. It is great to get a 'kick in the pants' every once in awhile to get you going again.

My last 'kick in the pants' session.... I am due for another and I hope that we have a bunch more before he PCS's to Ft. Knox in December....
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hey Marty theres a long winter coming,hurry back gonna miss your articles:-H
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 11:12 AM UTC
Don't push the issue or try to "make" yourself finish a project. Take your time, the urge will return. Until then, enjoy some quality free time.

Patrick