Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Decorations
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 07:13 PM UTC
Greetings to all from Pennsylvania...
I'm sending this post out this morning, concerning a subject that I take very seriously...But first, for those of you who don't know anything about myself, I am a 41 year old military enthusiast, who comes from a long line of military hero's, Most importantly my Dad, who was a career Marine DI...I say that I'm an enthusiast, because unfortunately due to health reasons I could not carry on the line of service to my country, although I did my best out of High School to do so...I was an active participant in ROTC throughout my school years though, and at least I can be proud of that...Back to the reason for this post...I am calling upon the decorated vets in the Armorama Community to share with us YOUR decoration stories,(if you wish to do so), and to give others the opportunity to share your pride in earning your service awards. Once again, I must stress to you the importance of this subject, one not to be taken lightly, for if not for the vet's of this country, we wouldn't be able to have a forum such as this...How about it, Gentlemen?

Sincerely,
Gunny
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 08:41 PM UTC
I guess I will be the first. Although my awards and decorations wont compare to some of the (no offense) older guys, I am still proud of what I earned.

Army Comidation Medal
Army Acheivment Medal w/ Oak Leaf Cluster for 2nd award
Good Conduct Medal (which isnt hard to get as long as your a good soldier and keep your self out of trouble)
Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal
National Defense Medal w/Bronze Star for 2nd award (first award was during Desert Storm/Shield, 2nd was after Sep 11 when I got activated)
Soutwest Asia Medal w/Bronze Star (for Operation Vigilent Warrior)
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
Service Ribion (everyone gets this in the Army)
Overseas Ribion (for being stationed in Germany)

See, not to impressive, but I am proud
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 07:25 AM UTC
Well lets see, The Bronze Star with V device x 2, Army Good conduct medal, Meritorious Unit Citation, Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with palm, Vietnam campaign medal with three bronze stars, Vietnam service medal, National defense medal, Air Force Commendation medal, USAF good conduct medal with one oak leaf cluster, USAF Combat weapons expert ribbon x 9, Outstanding unit citation with two oak leaf clusters. Security Police Masters badge. And Security Police Shield. Oh yea $.75 for a cup of coffee. Oh yea the training instructor badge for both Basic Training Instructor and for Academic Instructor

Bronze Star with V device for valor, for actions during the 1968 Tet Offensive at Cu Chi Vietnam.
Meritorious Service medal awarded to our unit in Nam.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,086 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 07:49 AM UTC
Lemme think... I've got a MFO medal, Army Overseas Svc. Ribbon(for Germany and Alaska), Army Svc. Ribbon, NCO Professional Development Ribbon, AAM w/Silver OLC, ARCOM, National Defense Medal w/ star, Army Good Conduct Medal, Armed Forces Reserve Medal w/ M, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon (for OIF I), Navy Presidential Unit Citation (for OIF I with I MEF), and a Combat Action Ribbon (for OIF I).

Out of all that the only decorations that I have that really mean anything to me is the PUC and the CAR. The others were for the most part 'gimmes', I earned my CAR serving with a great group of Devil Dogs who got this old doc home in one piece. Semper Fi Ironhorse Marines!
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 08:25 AM UTC
Just a small few...

National Defense Medal
Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal
PLDC w/1 ribbion device
Army service ribbion
Long and Faithfull service X years
Exercise ribbion w/ silver E
Recruting ribbion
Commo Badge

Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 10:43 PM UTC
I earned the following decorations during my 20 years, prior to my retirement in 96. I'm proudest of my CIB. especially after my Dad, a Korean War vet. said "You earned it wear with pride. My Navy Ach. Medal, which I earned while on temporary duty at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA. for operating a 1 man office supporting up to 200 US Army Officers eaning their Master Degree there. Most of the other awards were give me's.

Comabt Infantryman's Badge (Operation just Cause, Panama)
Meritorious Service Medal
Army Commendation Medal (2 OLC)
Army Achievement Medal (1 OLC)
Navy Achievement Medal
Army Good Conduct Medal (Silver Knot; 6 awards)
National Defense
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal ( Operation just Cause, Panama)
Army Overseas Ribbon (x3; Germany, Hawaii, Korea)
Army Service Medal
Army NCO Prossional Development Ribbon (x3, PNOC, BNCO, ANCO)
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 05:55 PM UTC
Thank you, Gentlemen, for the fine replies to my post...How about expanding on your posts...What are the stories behind your Awards? I am a devout Military Historian, and I have made it a point in my life when I talk to vet's to get the REAL story behind the man, only because to relate your experiences to those who have not lived through what you men have. I am extremely genuine in my request, Gentlemen, and I only want to give you the respect and valor that you so deserve.

Sincerely,
Mark "Gunny"Smith
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 08:01 PM UTC
Thanks gunny for your kind words!!!!

Well, after Sept 11, I volunteered to be activated for airport security duty. I was activated, but I did not go to the airports. Orders came out to start securing other facilities, especially military. Well, being in the Guard, we had to start securing key National Guard facilities. So I was tasked, along with some other fellows, to guard the CSMS shop up in Saginaw, Texas. Wasnt as glamerous as airport duty, but I did my job and I did it well. Was activated for 4 months. So thats how I got the second award for the National Defence Medal.

The Southwest Asia Medal with Bronze Star was awarded for being in Saudia Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait back in 1994. Operation Vigilant Warrior was one of the last significant operations after Desert Storm that a unit wnet over there ready to do battle. That was when Saddam moved his troops down to the border and didnt want to leave until we showed up. My Combat Brigade team of the 24th ID went over there locked and loaded and the idiot high tailed and ran back up to Baghdad. After that, units started going over to Kuwait on a normal rotation schedule.

Once again, not to impresive, but I am proude to serve and glad you are curious.
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 11:22 PM UTC
Well, I guess I can give out a little info too. There really isn't too much to the stories behind them because I was active duty during the Cold War years and was in the Guards by the time Desert Storm came to be. Well here they are as on my DD214:

Army Service Ribbon- This is a the award we all got for getting through Basic/AIT.

Pistol 45 cal Expert- This one is just for my marksmanship qualification with my personal weapon. It wasn't too hard to qualify as an expert. I knew where my pistol was off and engaged my targets accordingly.

Hand Grenade First Class- As you can see, I am not as good throwing grenades as I am shooting a pistol. Where I screwed up here was that I bounced my grenade off the berm of the mortar pit and it went over.

Overseas Service- Another one freely given out to any one who was shipped overseas. I was in Germany for two years, that's how I got mine.

Army Achievement Medal (1 Oak Leaf Cluster)- These I am a little more proud of since they are not freely given out. The first one I got was for the work I did in one of our tank gunneries. For those who don't know, that is when we spend two or more weeks doing live fire exercises leading up to the qualification of our crews and unit. It is very important to do well. Anyway, the work and dedication I put into qualifying was noticed by some one and they put me up for the AAM. Those were some long days. We often had to crew for more than one tank because we were always short people. It was also fun, that is what we tankers lived for.
The second AAM was given to me for my work and dedication to the units mission during my tour in Germany. I really didn't think I did anything out of the ordinary. I stayed out of trouble, kept my tank up to speed and tried to do my best to better the unit and myself.

Good Conduct Medal (2nd Award)- Stay out of trouble, and they give you these.

Nationl Defense Medal- I got this one for being in the military (Wisconsin Army National Guard) during Desert Storm.

I hope that didn't sound too self centered. I am proud of what I earned, yet I do not want to be considered a braggart. That kind of makes it hard to discuss my awards with others.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 02:43 AM UTC
Rich,
Awards are MEANT to be bragged about...I come from a military family, and I do believe that as so...Thanks,Sirs, for sharing your experiences with us.

Sincerely,
Gunny
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 393 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 04:55 AM UTC
OK, here we go.

Combat Infantry Badge (my most cherished)
Silver Star w/1OLC
Bronze Star w/"V" device
Purple Heart w/1OLC
Army Commendation Medal
Meritorious Service Medal w/3OLC
Army Achievement Medal w/2OLC
Presidential Unit Citation
Valorous Unit Citation w/1OLC
various other lesser awards
But I am most proud of my guys. Our last day in RVN, 33 of us took on a reinforced NVA battalion. We stood'em up at the line and fought'em to a standstill all day. End result, 6 KIA and 27 WIA out of 33, but we came home. They are my heroes.
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 05:50 AM UTC
I'll do my best to list my awards and what I got them for.

Bronze Star- I earned my bronze star while deployed to Iraq with the 1st Armored Division. I am an M1 Abrams tank mechanic. During the 15 months I was in Iraq, not only did I run a maintenance team, but was also the HQ's Platoon sergeant in a tank company. Due to the small size of a tank company, my platoon (29 personnel consisting of mechanics, medics, supply, commo and tankers) doubled as infantry and aggressively patrolled the slums of baghdad.

meritorious service medal- awarded for job and mission accomplishments while assigned to 1AD.

Combat Action Ribbon- Before I joined the Army, I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps as a crew chief on the LVTP7A1. I was assigned to the 3rd amphib assault battalion of the 1st Marine division. My platoon was assigned to Battalion landing Team 2/9. I earned the CAR in Somalia.

Armed forces expeditionary medal - Somalia
Humanitarian Medal- earned for evacuating civillians in the philipines after a volcano erupted and buried manilla under many feet of ash.

Armed forces service medal and united nations medal - earned for my participation in operation able sentry in Macedonia. I served as a fireteam leader and patroled the Kosovo / macedonia border.
My other awards include:
Army commendation Medal w/ 2 olc
Army Achievement Medal w/ 6 olc
Amy good conduct 4th award
Marine good conduct
Sea service deployment w/ star
overseas service ribbon, 2nd award
professional development ribbon 3rd award
Southwest asia service medal w/ star
Global war on terrorism service medal
global war on terrorism expeditionary medal

Thats pretty much it. I am proud of my awards and of my accomplishments in the military. My heart goes out to the guys serving in Iraq and to the families of the heros who didnt make it back.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 04:50 PM UTC
Hello and greetings to all from Pennsylvania!!

Once again, gentlemen, thank you for participating in my thread and sharing your story with us...I think I can speak for all and say that we can feel the pride of your accomplishments of your awards and decorations. I really appreciate the information that you have chosen to share, God Bless and keep modeling!!

Sincerely,
Gunny
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 10:32 PM UTC
After almost 22 years of serving, I cant recall just what I got each award for, but a few I can. I'll do my best for ya'...

Bronze Star- x1
Army Commendation Medal- x7 olc
Army Achievement Medal- x11olc
Good Conduct Medal- x6
Overseas Service Medal with #2
NCO Professional Developement w/ #3
National Defence Medal w/ Bronze Star
Global War on Terrorism (Sevice and Expedentionary)
Army Sevice Ribbon
Expert Marksmanship Badge (Rifle, Pistol Grenade)
Drivers Badge Wheeled and Tracked
Basic Parachutists Badge
Senior Parachutists Badge ( 54 Jumps)
Basic Recruiter Badge (I hated this assignment)
Drill Sergeant Badge
Australian Parachutists WIngs
Spanish Parachutist Wings
Presidential Unit Citation

As to what I got them for,
Bronze Star- Actions in Iraq. (I'd rather not relive those moments anymore, so thats all I'll say on that one)
ARCOM's- Bradley and Tank gunneries, TOP Guns scores etc...nothing extra-ordinary
AAM's same as ARCOM's just different units
GCM- 6 awards after 18 years of service, although I should have one more to add before I retire making it 7
Overseas Service- Three years in Germany and a year in Iraq got me these
NCOPD- Primary Leadership, Basic Leadership and Advanced Leadership schools, 4 weeks, 6 weeks and 13 weeks respectively.
NDM- Serving during Desert Shield/Storm, 9-11 attacks
GWOT- Iraq
ASR- Basically the "Glad to have ya" ribbon. Awarded upon graduation from Basic Training/ AIT
Marksmanship Badges- Self explanitory
Drivers Badges- Awarded after logging a given number of miles accident free. Not sure on the amount. I know I got the wheeled one during Iraq----lots of driving!!
Basic Parachutists Badge- I was awarded my wings after coming off of recruiting duty and going to Jump School. I was bound and determined not to fail. It had taken me almost 11 years to finally get to the school and I one chance to make it through.
Senior Parachutists Badge- Awarded after successfuly completing Jumpmaster school at Ft Bragg NC, and completing a minimum of 30 jumps, with so many at night, combat equipment etc..
Basic Recruiter Badge- Or as I like to refer to it, "The Pressure Plate" Awarded after completing Recruiter School. My most hated assignment....
Drill Sergeant Badge- After 9 weeks of being treated like a new private all over again and learning how to be a DS, I was awarded this. I served at Ft. Benning GA for 2 years and like to think I made a difference in what I sent to the line units.
Australian and Spanish Jump wings- Awarded after having jumped with these folks using either their equipment, their planes, jumpmasters, or their Drop Zones. In my case...their equipment, planes and jumpmasters.
Presidential unit citation- I think this one is coming down the pipe for my units actions in Iraq...at least that is what has been put out thus far.

My most cherished award though are my Senior Jump Wings. An extemely difficult school to pass, and just the thrill of stepping out of a plane at 0200 at 800' having almost 100# of equipment strapped to your body and then occupying the same airspace as about 500 other folks is something to experience! Thanks- "Q"

And with this post, this promotes me to SFC, the same rank I am retiring at!
"and there was much rejoicing....yay"
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:00 PM UTC
Ok here is my decorations, pretty busy so far for only 9 years and counting Got to love one of a kind units (CSAR)

1. Aerial Achievement Medal (37 Combat Missions During OIF-P)
2. Air Force Commendation Medal (1OLC)
3. Air Force Achievement Medal (3 OLC)
4. Joint Meritorious Unit Award
5. Air Force Outstanding Unit (3OLC and Valor) Valor was for Khobar Towers in 1996
6. Combat Readiness medal (2OLC)
7. Air Force Good Conduct (2 OLC)
8. National Defense (1Star)
9. Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (1Star)
10. Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary medal
11. Global War On Terrorism Service Medal
12. Korean Defense Medal
13. Humanitarian Service Medal (Hurricane floyd flood relief 2250 saves credited)
14. Air Force Overseas Long Tour
15. Air Force Expeditionary Medal (Gold Border) Combat in OIF-P
16. Air Force Longevity (1OLC)
17. PME Graduation Medal
18. Expert Marksman (1Star) M-9 and M-16
19. Basic Training Ribbon

And also a seven level maintenance badge and enlisted aircrew wings.

I was Stationed with the 71st Rescue Squadron Out of Patrick AFB Florida in 1996, and it was my first Deployment to the desert. I actually lived in Building 131 ( The One destroyed) I had just left to work 30 minutes before due to an Aircraft landing early. Unfortunatly that whole crew was killed in the Bombing, I guess I was lucky. But lost a few good friends that day.

Although I have a lot, my hats off to all of you with Vietnam Medals and those awarded for real combat medals for heroism or valiant actions. You are all the real Heros!!

Herky
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:18 PM UTC
Wow! I'm all very proud of you. I cannot compete in the awards you've taken up. Congratulations!
targetdriver
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 40 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 04:55 AM UTC
I've been in the Army National guard and Active Army for 10 years. The last two have been on active duty as a liasion officer on Fort Carson CO. My next assignment will be FT Greely Alaska - I can't wait to go there!

National Defense Service Medal x2
Humanitarian Service Medal - Major flood in Grand Forks ND in 1997
Army Service Ribbon
Reserve Component Achievement Medal x2 - sorta like the Good Conduct medal, but for the National Guard and Reserves. Third one is on its way as soon as the paper work can be found. LOL
Army Reserve Component Overseas Training Ribbon - Grafenwoer Germany - Great place to train!!!
Army Commendation Medal - see comments below
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with "M" device - mobilized for a Force Protection mission, working with the US Air Force.
Global war on Terrorism Service Medal
Army Acheivement Medal

Overall, the only one that I do not like would be my Army Commendation Medal. Why? Well, I set out with the intention of helping out my unit and failed. But, my efforts turned out to be of great benefit to many other units in my Task Force and their soldiers reaped benefits while my own did not. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremly glad that my work was worth while, it just didn't come out as I had planned.

Scott
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 12:36 PM UTC
Well, I don't have much, but here goes:

Army Commendation Medal - X2
Army Achievement Medal - X4
Army Good Conduct Medal
Expert Infantryman Badge
Airborne Wings
Air Assault Wings
Egyptian Parachute Wings
Drivers Badge - Tracked Vehicles
Expert Marksmanship - M-16, Mortar (of course)

That's all I managed to get...still bitter over missing out on Grenada because they left the four deuce mortar platoon behind, which meant we didn't get the CIB or 82nd Combat patch that the rest of the battalion received...that's the only time I regret being 11C...
Splinty2001
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 84 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 09:12 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
Here are my awards,
Combat Infantry Badge
Bronze Star w/ V device. (for leading a squad through the Medina Guards trenchlines in Desert Storm)
Army Commendation Medal x2 (PCS Award and Award for Iraqi Freedom)
7x Army Achievment Medals (clean latrines etc.)
Good Conduct Medal x 3 (So,I never got caught!)
SW Asia Medal w/ 3 campaign stars
Global War on Terrorism Medal (OIF)
Domestic War on Terorism Medal (post 9/11 activation)
Armed Forces Reserve Medal w/ M device (OIF)
National Defence Service Medal w/ star (ODS/OIF)
Humanitarian Service Medal (ODS)
Reserve Components Acheivment Medal (Didn't get caught while in the National Guard)
BNCOC Ribbon
Army Service Ribbon
Overseas Ribbon w/ #2
Kuwaiti Liberation Medal Saudi Arabia
Kuwaiti Liberation Medal Kuwait
Airborne Wings
Valorous Unit Citation (4/7 INF ODS)
As has been said before, it's about the soldiers, not the fruit salad.
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 04:57 AM UTC
Man you guys get medals for everything! I've only got 2. My Canadian Forces Peacekeeping Medal and my KFOR medal. Hopefully our battalion goes to Sudan of Afganastan in the coming year.
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Man you guys get medals for everything! I've only got 2. My Canadian Forces Peacekeeping Medal and my KFOR medal. Hopefully our battalion goes to Sudan of Afganastan in the coming year.

Same here Mike......UNEF2 and CPSM is all....didn't even get one for 12 years undetected crime. (didn't finish 12 years)
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 11:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Once a Patricia"

Always a Patricia.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 09:57 PM UTC
Hello and greetings from Pennsylvania!! I just wanted to jump back in and say, I've followed this thread since I first started it 2 months ago, and I can't thank you all that have replied enough...There is a feeling of pride within my heart for you fellows, a feeling of great accomplishment for earning your rewards, no matter how many or few, for if it were not for you men that have risked your lives for us, we would not be in a free world, as it is now...we probably wouldn't be able to participate in such a forum that we do now, and I just want to say again to all the vets out there, Thank you, and we will never forget you...God bless you...

Sincerely,
Gunny
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

"Once a Patricia"

Always a Patricia.

You got it Mike....still carry both my coins (regular and 75th anniversary) at ALL times, AND wear the ring/t-shirt etc. with pride.
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 06:41 AM UTC
Did you make it to the 90th? I wasn't able to because I was teaching in Wainwright. I heard it waasn't to bad. What battalion were you from?