Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Decorations
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC
I've got the usual stuff you get from 3 years in the army:
Good Conduct
Army Achievement
Service
Overseas (for 18 great months in Germany)

Plus the Expert Infantry Badge which means the most and the National Defense which was a gimme after getting yanked out of college and sent to Benning for 2 weeks and Germany for a month for Desert Storm. Silly me for thinking the IRR commitment would never be utilized.

And Bundeswehr Schützenschnur marksmanship badge was neat just for the fact that I got to shoot the MG3. What a thrill. Only got bronze though.

Paul
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you make it to the 90th? I wasn't able to because I was teaching in Wainwright. I heard it waasn't to bad. What battalion were you from?

Didn't make it to the 90th, but I will be there for the 100th. I was at the 50th in Germany and met the Princess then. The only Col of the Regt I haven't met was Hammie Gault.

I was born into 1st Bn, my father was 1st and then 2nd Bn. I started in cadets w/ 3rd (after rebadging from QOR. Knew Don Ethell when he was a WO w/ QOR) and was in Currie Barracks with 1st BN when not in Petawawa w/ SSF Training Center and HQ SSF Sigs.
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 02:18 PM UTC
Wow an old Timer! Are you still getting the Patrician? Pay your dues or we'll put you on duty! I'm sure you must have heard that one! Hopefull I'm here for the next tour, I missed out on the last one because I was on my leadership course. I got to meet Lady P when I was in Kosovo as well as Col Hewson. I aslo met Col Stewart when I was in Wainwright this summer.
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 05:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow an old Timer!

Now...did I insult you? :-) I'm not that old....haven't quite hit the 1/2 century mark yet. I was 9 for the 50th. I just know em all because of my father and a few I've served with.
Bishop
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 06:11 PM UTC
Well, I just went over 7 yrs in the USAF, and here is my list so far...

AF Commendation w/ 3 OLC
AF Achievement
AF Outstanding unit w/ 3 OLC and "V" device
AF Good Conduct w/1 OLC
National Defense Service medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary medal
AF Expeditionary service medal
GWOT Expeditionary medal
AF Longevity ribbon
PME ribbon
Expert Marksman ribbon
AF Training ribbon
NATO medal for Kosovo

So has been a fun seven years, got to visit a few distant lands, no combat though...in the rear with the gear...
SkyWrench
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 04:30 PM UTC
Man, you guys got me pulling my Greens out of the closet! My 8 years didn't get me much in way of shiny stuff, but here goes....
Army Service Ribbon
National Defence Service Medal
Good Conduct Medal (x2)
Army Acheivement Medal
Army Commendation Medal (x2)
Overseas Service Ribbon (Korea)
NCO Professional Development Ribbon (PLDC)
Mechanics Badge
Drivers Badge

barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 02:54 AM UTC
Mine were
Mertious service medal
Army Achivement medal 3 oak leaves
drivers bage track
expert weapons badge (pistol, gernade)
national defence ribbon
overseas service ribbon
Ncoes ribbion with number 3
army service ribbon
good conduct medal 3rd award
cold war service medal
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 06:10 PM UTC
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 06:55 AM UTC
All of mine were collected for just hanging around for 30 years and not getting caught screwing up too much!

Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal x 2
Army Commendation Medal x 2
Army Achievement Medal x 2
Army Res Comp Ach Med w/4 OLC (17 1/2 years TPU)
Nat Defense Svc Medal x 2 (Cold War and Gulf War)
Armed Forces Res Medal with 20 Year Device
Army Service Ribbon (for completing OBC)
Overseas Service Ribbon (1 Tour in Germany)
Army Reserve Overseas Training Ribbon (w/6 Tours)

(Just missed the Korean Service Ribbon by about 15 days)

Also qualified Expert with both the M-16 and .45 Pistol.

Tom Hathaway
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 354 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 12:32 PM UTC
My awards, meager as they are...

.Army Service Ribbon
.Armed Forces Reserve Medal w/ "M" Device
.National Defense Service Award, 2nd award
.Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal, 2nd award
.Vermont National Army Guard Duty Ribbon, 2nd award
.Vermont Army National Guard Good Conduct Ribbon, 2nd award
.Vermont Veterans Award

Also, M9 Pistol Expert and M16 Rifle Sharpshooter badges, my shot for a combat patch and the like went out the window a few weeks ago...
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Silver Star, Bronze Medal, and Purple heart. If it isn't too much, could you tell us how you got them? You don't have to; a lot of times the higher the award, generally the more likely it is for the receiver to be reluctant to share.

Jeff
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 07:54 AM UTC
This thread got me thinking while I was unpacking at home and ran across a box of the standard Army green award certificate folders and the blue medal cases.

After checking what I had at home and my online records (real neat, they scan and upload all your award certificates) I found one missing award (an award I received but wasn't on my record) and two awards on my record that I hadn't received.

OK, here goes my measly award rack:
Meritorious Service Medal (3)
Army Commendation Medal (4)
Army Achievement Medal (2)
Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal*
National Defense Service Medal (with service star)
Southwest Asia Service Medal (with service stars)
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal (with hourglass)*
Army Service Ribbon
Overseas Service Ribbon
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kuwait)

I've also earned the basic parachutist badge (jump wings) and awarded the expert marksmanship badge-tank weapons. Out of all the times I've qualified in gunnery or on pistol ranges, this was the only time I received a set of orders awarding me a qualification badge. It was probably because I shot second high in the battalion.

*The two asterisked awards were given to me kind of strangely. The Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal (ARCAM) was for my service in the National Guard while in college. I wasn't aware I was authorized it until I fell under a Reserve HQ unit and their personnel sergeant noticed I had over three years in the Guard but did not have it on my records. The Armed Forces Reserve Medal was given to me because of the fact that most officers receive reserve commissions until they are promoted to major. Since I had over 10 years as a “reserve” officer (I was in the active army), I was authorized the medal. The same Reserve personnel sergeant pointed that one out to me as well. I was given both about 2 years ago.

95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 06:33 AM UTC
Nothing spectacular,
Army Achievment Medal
Good Conduct Medal
Army Service Ribbon
Over Seas Ribbon
Schutzenwehr Braid ( I think that's spelled right) (braid awarded in joint Feldjager and Military Police shooting matches..in the 80s)

Our unit, the 218th was authorized to wear two Vietnam ribbons in memory of our unit's losses in Tet.

And that's about it.

Anyone get their Cold War certificate?
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone get their Cold War certificate?

I did back in 1999.
LemonJello
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 03:25 AM UTC
Well, here goes:

Navy/Marine Corps Acheivement Medal (x2)
Combat Action Ribbon (OEF)
Navy Unit Commendation
Meritorious Unit Commendation
Global War On Terror (Expeditionary & Service)
Marine Corps Good Conduct (x3)
Humanitarian Service Medal
National Defence Medal (x2)
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Sea Service Deployment (x4)

Most of them are just for what I considered doing our job, but someone decided we did our job real well, I guess, so we earned a few awards.

I'm probably most proud to wear the French Fourragerre, as only Marines of the 5th and 6th Regiments are authorized to wear it while serving with those units. It was awarded during WWI and is a reminder of the legacy that those Marines left to us.
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm probably most proud to wear the French Fourragerre, as only Marines of the 5th and 6th Regiments are authorized to wear it while serving with those units. It was awarded during WWI and is a reminder of the legacy that those Marines left to us.

We wore that (green and red with a brass whistle) when I was with the 77th Armor Regiment in the 8th Infantry Division. I thought it added a little something to the dress uniform.
LemonJello
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 03:48 AM UTC
Sorry, Rob, I meant the only Marine units authorized to wear it, sometimes I forget about the army (kidding, I'm only kidding).

But I agree, it does add to the overall appearance of the dress uniform.
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 03:54 AM UTC
I knew you were referring to only USMC units, it just jogged my memory that I had one still and thought it made the uniform look a little nicer.
jRatz
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 03:07 PM UTC
For some of you that seem to apologize for not having very much -- if you served honorably for at least one hitch, then you have nothing to apologize for

As for me, I've got ribbons & badges & leaves & stars thereto, but the only "awards" that I count I can't wear:
-- Selection for & Graduation from Army War College
-- Selection for & Promotion to Colonel, O-6
-- Selection for & Successful O-6 Command
In my days, that was considered a good career and I am prouder of those three things, particularly the command, than all the others.

John
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 05:11 AM UTC
You're absolutely right. I have "mixed" feelings about not attending the War College. When I first applied, I was not selected, in part I believe, because I had not yet commanded a battalion. That took a lot longer to manage than I had hoped, and as a result when I got around to re-applying, I had run out of time.

Given the tremendous amount of effort it requires to graduate (and my hat is off to those who complete it ), other than the benefit of the learning you get, the other major benefit lost by not going was the inabilty to be considered for General Officer. With all the odds against THAT ever happening, I am content with the outcome.

My only gripe was having to be forced into retirement at 30 years commissioned service while we are at war, back in 2002. While I recognize that I'm not in my 20's (hell I ain't even close to being in my 40's anymore!!), there is no doubt I could still contribute at the level expected for my grade and experience. But the operative word in MRD is "Mandatory" so it is what it is.

Tom
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 11:41 AM UTC
hI guys,
Feugh........don't you guys get lots of "tin".......we poor Brits have to go through the mincer just to get "campaign" gongs ..and it takes months toreceive them........and then we have to polish them for parades .......then they get scratched with weapons ....then we polish them again ..ad nosium.....etc ..etc. Then we have tobuy "minitures" for "mess kit" .
A well its a funny old world....
aye,
BARV

PS........They do look nice.....good on you all.
:-)
LemonJello
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hI guys,
Feugh........don't you guys get lots of "tin".......we poor Brits have to go through the mincer just to get "campaign" gongs ..and it takes months toreceive them........and then we have to polish them for parades .......then they get scratched with weapons ....then we polish them again ..ad nosium.....etc ..etc. Then we have tobuy "minitures" for "mess kit" .
A well its a funny old world....
aye,
BARV

PS........They do look nice.....good on you all.
:-)

Tell me about it. Just last year I went out and had new medals bought and mounted for the USMC Birthday Ball, ran me someting like $100 USD, and not even a couple weeks later, the messages come out that my unit rates a couple more! Now I've got to get those added/redone, though it shouldn't cost me as much this time.

Oh, the price of "glory"... But they do look sharp!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 01:09 AM UTC
Well, 3 more added to my stack. I found out that since I was activated right after SEP 11th, I am authorized to wear the Global War On Terrorism Service Medal. Plus, last weekend, when I was putting in awards for two of my guys, I came to find out that I was eligable for the same two awards, so they added me to the list. We are getting the Texas Faithful Service Medal and the Armed Forces Reserve Medal. So here is my updated list:

Army Acheivment Medal w/ Oak Leaf Cluster for 2nd award
Good Conduct Medal (which isnt hard to get as long as your a good soldier and keep your self out of trouble)
National Defense Medal w/Bronze Star for 2nd award (first award was during Desert Storm/Shield, 2nd was after Sep 11 when I got activated)
Soutwest Asia Medal w/Bronze Star (for Operation Vigilent Warrior)
Service Ribion (everyone gets this in the Army)
Overseas Ribion (for being stationed in Germany)
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Texas Faithful Service Medal w/Oak Leaf Cluster fro 1st and 2nd award (awarded every 5 years
Armed Forces Reserve Medal(awarded every 10 years)
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 02:18 AM UTC
:-) :-) ...aint I the lucky one............only 3 to polish.............ADEN.....BORNIO..... and N IRELAND
:-) :-) :-)
aye,
BARV
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
LemonJello
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 07:53 AM UTC
The messages have come out for the Iraqi and Aghanistan Campaign medals, but as I understand it, you can have either the Campaing medal or the GWOT(Expeditionary) for the same period, not both. Makes sense, I guess. For those guys that have done multiple tours in either place, they can have one changed, I believe.

Oh, and the GWOTE is no longer being awarded for those two theaters as of the end of April, we'll just be eligible for the campaign medals from now on.

I'm not complaining, mind you, just chatting.