_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
DISASTER - End of Modelling Career ?
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:55 PM UTC
Hi there guys .

This is by far the saddest post i ve ever made in Armorama.

As u will see in the pictures below, i had a total disaster from fire in my computers and modelling lab Saturday night around 21.00, 10 minutes after i have left it with my 20 months daughter.

A battery charger, made a short circuit , transferred a sparkle to a stash of preserved plants and balsa pieces, and then the mayhem started. All flameabbles exploded , spray cans,paints, glues,all the plastics followed and in a 10 minutes time until i hear the explosions and burst in there with the fire extinguisher everything was lost .

Not a single tool or material survived, not my 2 complete computing systems, my stash of models dissapeared, boodks, reference material, paints, other materials for dios ...blah blah blah ..everything in all was destroyed. The funny part is that the vigniette i was working on last 2 days together with my lil girl having fun, had partially survived . Unfortunately though main house is insured this one - the lab was not ....stupid me
Well i dont know if it had to do anything with the 11th black anniversary , but i surely had mine for good.

i really didnt had the heart to come in here, but thought that i have some good friends that i ought to fill in this, and by posting some pictures i could alert some of u guys to be more carefull in storing materials and mostly what electrical devices u leave plugged when away .
it was a place for me to calm, and really enjoyed being with my lil girl playing with paints and brushes and helping me the way she liked to do that .

I am really considering quitting the hobby, after this , cause i had a 3000 - 4000 euros damage onthe building plus 5000 - 6000 euros damage in moveables ( computers , tools , materials and all)
its not possible to recover due to serious financial shortage , so even if i manage to do something will be for the building ...

dont wanna stress u more. I ll be happily enter my beloved site , (even if my heart will be burning seeing but not being able to do !!!), talk with people , and help new guys with my experience, but unfortunately wont be able to produce anything , since even a single xacto didnt survived .......

i lay pictures of the disaster , and some pictures of my last work that wasnt totally destroyed and will keep that as a commemoration for that black day ...

To be honest , in my back place of mind, the sparkle of restarting flared this morning ....well maybe on the 25 th that my BD is i will decide what to do ....still confused. One thing that would force me to do that is my daughters love for the " ding ding" as she called modelling , and from saturday she is asking all the time : daddy ding ding ? and i cannot make her happy ... One thing that keeps me in that route is my surviving works that look at me and tell me to go on. Also my wife's encouraging that she wants me to do all this nice things again, and she wants to help me in every possible way

Good thing is that my and my family are ok and healthy and so i wish to all of you guys

here is how it was before :

and thats after the fire: pretty much different hah ?

bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:12 PM UTC
Howdy MG
First of all I am very sorry about the loss. I am also very glad that it wasn't worse and no one got hurt which is the most important thing. I would hate to see you stop building because of this. I enjoy your work and posts very much. If you can't enjoy building anymore, well that is a very sad thing, but I bet you'll get over it and start again. The things you lost can be replaced, don't let it kill the love for your hobby.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:20 PM UTC
Costas,
This is shocking news, I am glad that no body was hurt.
I hope you can get back into the hobby, just take your time we will be waiting for you.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:23 PM UTC
I cannot put into words how I feel for you Costas. You are a great friend and we have spent many an hour talking over the net and sharing our love about figures and modelling. I hope with all my heart that you do not throw in your gloves and quit. I understand this is one big obstacle, but we grow stronger from conquering them.

If there is anything I can do to help, you know where I am, financial, kits, material, moral support, anything at all, I am here for you.

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:29 PM UTC
My friend this is terrible news. I have a few spare tools here give me your address and I will send them along with any spare modeling bits I have to help you out so you can get back into it as soon as you can.

But I guess the good news is the fact that you and your family were not hurt.

keep in touch
Cliff
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:30 PM UTC
Costas, the main thing is that nobody was hurt. Material things can be replaced even if it takes a long time, were you covered by insurance?
Plese do not let this stop you from ever modelling again. I don't post much on your figures, but really enjoy seeing the work that a modeller of your standard can produce. It would be a great loss to us all if you were to quit.
I don't have any complete kits or material spare, but if it would help I have a large box of 1/35 scale ww2 figure part that I could send you just to get you something to work on?
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:38 PM UTC
costas I am so sorry for the loss you have suffered. Anything I can do to help out you can count on my for it. It is a good thing that no one was injured in the fire. I will be adding extras to your pack and hope to have it posted by mid week. Hang in there bro we will get you back on your feet before you know it. Kevin
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:43 PM UTC
Costas,
I'm really shocked about the disaster you've run into!!! On the other and I have to agree with the others: all off the "goods" at some stage could be replaced and the most important thing is that you and your family are safe and sound.
Pse continue to visit Armorama and I'm sure that once recovered from the shock you'll continue sooner or later to deligth your daugther wit some more "ding ding".
Ciao
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:44 PM UTC
I'm pretty shocked to hear this happened. The important thing is that no one was injured. Hopefully you can gradually start again
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:46 PM UTC
Well boys , u really made me in tears , response in no time ..what to say ..thanks for all the encouragement . I think that with your good words i have to be deciding right now to keep on . Thanks a million to all of u that care , and know that i would be doing this to any one of my friends here - though i hope no one will be needing that - its a really bad thing .
Thanks
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:49 PM UTC
Costas,
What a terrible thing to happen! As some have already said I guess it could have been worse especially if it had happened at night while you slept. (NOTE: Everyone should keep this in mind if they don't have a fire/smoke detector near their hobby area).

I know some people would not want to accept any charity for something like this, but it would make me feel good to send you a little something to help you recover. Kits or money it would only be a small help I know.

Again I am sorry for the loss of all that work and materials. But those things can at least be replaced.

Your friend,
Jim
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 02:15 PM UTC
Thanks a lot Jim for encouragement . As u said i am not a guy happy to get charity and thus by no means i would accept money from any one. Please dont even think of that .
something lil of spares to get me moved to work again would be just nice. But dont wanna bother any one.

Thanks for supportin

Costas
coca
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 196 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 02:28 PM UTC
Hi Costas, what can I say, others already mentioned what need to be said. How can I help to keep you in modelling again.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 02:36 PM UTC
Costas, i'm deeply sadden about your fire. I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt. And with all the members belonging to this site, i'm sure you'll get some kind of support one way or another. I myself do have a few spare 1/35 scale kits collecting dust. Just P.M. me an address and their yours.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:04 PM UTC
Thanks a lot mother .
Good words and encouragement keep me in good shape this time

Costas
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:15 PM UTC
Hi Costa,

I´m happy only things was harmed, and that you and your family are safe.

You have such a creative drive and great ideas, so i´m sure you´ll find the guts and the funds to start again, perhaps in the small, but, then again, it will be like starting to model again

Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 275 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:35 PM UTC
Costas, this is terrible. It's really sad to lose something, more so your own avenue of joy.

But I'm also glad that no one was hurt.

I know it's still quite disheartening but eventually, you will be able to recover and you will build models again. If your wife and your kid enjoyed what you did, there will come a time that you will be inspired (they will be the source of your inspiration) to build models once again.

Be strong and have faith. Just remember: Time heals wounds.

Angela
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:37 PM UTC
Good god Costas that indeed is terrible.
It`s about the bad dream of every modeler I guess. I`m really glad that nothing has happened to you and your fam. Those things can`t be bought with money. It is indeed very sad what happened in your modelingcorner but I`m sure you will find the spirit to go on. I sure would regret the fact that you would quit the hobby and I`m certainly not glad to see it happen. Knowing you definately don`t like the charity I will see if I have anything to spare to help you.
Even though I have not met you personally I consider you being a very very close friend and friends help each other out right? I`m sure I`m not the only one thinking about it like this. You`ll see it when you read all the comments from the people who read this just as me.

We`ll have you up and runnng in no time to do what you love. And we can`t let your little girl not have her fun at doing "Ding Ding" with you

It`s like Joe Cocker already sang at Woodstock '69

Quoted Text

With a little Help from my Friends.

You will make it without doubt.

greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:50 PM UTC
costas,

im very sad to hear this news, however its better that your modelling room was destroyed than your family injured!

material things can be replaced, flesh and blood can't!

so chin up mate, im sure you will be back on your feet in no time! if you need anything let us know!

best regards

joe
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:50 PM UTC
Thanks a lot on your encouragement Mr Mox and Angela and Robert and Joe . What to say , u ve already made my day with all this friendship proof and ur sincere willingness.
Thanks a lot

Costas
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 04:05 PM UTC
Words i know cant make up for what you must be feeling right now. I am positive though that you will get through this tragedy. Just remember to look all around you at the many friends you have that are rooting for you and that are here to help you. Don't be afraid to ask if you need anything. I will be saying an extra prayer for you and your family. Kisses and Huggs.
Mary (++)
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 04:12 PM UTC
thanks a lot Mary , u and Kev are great support and u know that
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 04:21 PM UTC
my brother,
you know i am used to disasters as living in Turkey and it is a part of my job.I dont know what to say for this. but i am so glad you,Vanesa,nefeli and home is safe. i am very sorry for the modelling den but never never worry... as i always told you half of what i have is yours.we will build your modelling den back in a very very short time.
bestest regards and kisses to girls
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 04:24 PM UTC
Costas sorry to hear this bad news thank god no one was Injured.If you need anything out of my stash just ask I dont have much but your welcome,dont give up your to good a modeller.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 04:25 PM UTC
My Brother thanks for being here . Knowing that i have u and friends by my side quitting is not an option for me..u ve always been supportive , and as u say u know a lot of disasters . u ll be more than helpfull.
Thanks a million

Costas
 _GOTOTOP