_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Are Things that Bad?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 12:34 AM UTC
One thing that I have noticed repeatedly, is that everytime a new product is announced, there is always a series of complaints. Usually the complaints are based on the fact that most new armor/figure releases are German and usually it is is us (the allied modellers) who are the first to throw peanuts from the gallery...

Surprisingly, I am in rather an optimistic mood about the hobby at the moment. I wouldn't like to go so far as describe this as a 'Golden Age Of Modelling' however, I really do think that things are looking pretty good from where I am sitting...

Couple of gripes though - do we really need all these pre-built/painted things or has the concentration span of the general public dropped to such a low level?

Do we need anymore Tiger/Panther/KingTiger (or even Abrams kits?) Is the modelling world crying out for another Bismarck?

On the positive, the major players are promising us some really nice stuff, 1/72nd is becoming acceptable again after years in the wilderness and the AM manufacturers seem to be going from strength to strength....

Well what do you guys think? An I being over-optimistic?... Jim
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 12:50 AM UTC
I do agree with you regarding having enough Tigers/Panthers/ Panzer IVs/ IIIs... etc. I see pictures of so many interesting vehicles that would make very nice and popular models and I always wonder why no company makes them. That's why I respect a company like Trumpeter foe example for making models other than the usual Tigers and stuff. True they are not WWII, but still thay are interesting subjects like the Faun transporter.. etc. I read so many posts here and elsewhere by modellers asking for info on certain vehicles that have never been made by any model company, which means that these(OFF MAINSTREAM SUBJECTS) do have a market. I just can't believe that after all these years, a model company comes up with news about their all new TIGER I !!!!! Enough already. Come up with something new to keep the interest going.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 12:53 AM UTC
I know that I am not the only model builder out there. There are plenty of people who build things I have no interest. I can appreciate that. I can even appreciate that there are people who build winged things and ships!!

I just think it's simply because the model companies are not putting out subjects that I'm interested in. I build mostly 1/35 Allied so I really don't care much for the German kits that are put out. I also don't care much for the 1/72 or 1/16 kits.

I think Dragon just released a Tiger P that only a few were ever built and only one saw combat. If they are going to build such an isolated subject where are the much more popular US haltracks? They keep cranking out German halftracks. I'm not so much complaing that they are releasing so many German halftracks as the fact they have released zero US halftracks. We are stuck with 20 year old Tamiya.

brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 01:05 AM UTC
I have to agree that manufacturers could release a wider variety of kits. I would love to see British armoured cars in 1/35 released in plastic, they are available as resin kits but out of my price range I'm afraid.
It would also be nice to have a release of vehicles in 1/48 to tie in with aircraft models. I'm sure there is a market for these kits waiting to be exploited.
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 01:16 AM UTC
I agree with you Jim, this is the Golden Age - you can get almost anything but if you pay the money. However the above said "you can get almost anything" is my first issue with modeling companies. I mean companies like Tamiya and Dragon make practicly every variant of certain models: esp. WWII German and Modern American stuff. I think true modeling is researching and converting on your own - it's not worth for a model company to make a different version of a vehicle if it only has the grab handles in different locations. And again, the above said "if you pay the money" referes to all the AM resin kits - it would be easy for a plastic manufacturer to make a kit that would be much more popular than a resin offering. However the mainstream companies are for some reason sticking to the same stuff: that's why we have 6+ kits of the Abrams, Jeep, and not even mentioning all the WWII German stuff. And an even greater issue for me, a Soviet modeler are the prices on the resin kits, what is the hobby coming to when we have to pay up to 500 bucks for a single resin kit just cause there is no kit in plastic. We also need more engineering vehicles coming from the plastic companies. Another thing that keeps me wondering everyday is why are there so much German stuff out there - why not Allies. I think in a couple of years things might even out a little and it will become an even better hobby.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 01:41 AM UTC
I am probably one of the worst offenders when it comes to comments from the peanut gallery concerning all the German equipment being released. I don't begrudge the German modeler their items, like the new DML half-tracks. If it takes five, or ten, German kits for every allied kit, then so be it. I personally think that the major makers are being a bit short sighted. I think that they are basing their kit choices on self fulfilling prophecies. It's like they are saying, "well, everybody builds German kits", when all they every bring out is German kits. If you go to a hobby store and there are 50 German kits, and only five allied ones, then you might start looking at the German ones just because there are so many of them. When all the press is about new items, and they only bring out new German items, then naturally German kits are going to sell better. Look at the reaction here when they announced a new earlier M4 or British troops. I've got to believe they will sell.

Yes, I do think we are in a golden age. I was building models in the 70s where you could have anything, as long as it was from Tamiya, in 1/35th scale, and usually German. It wasn't until makes like DML, Italeri, Academy, and AFV Club started coming out that you really got a choice. I only have a couple of DML vehicle kits, plus a dozen of so figure kits. I plan on buying a lot more from them now they are coming out with more interesting allied kits. I applaud them, I really do.

I just really, really, wish that the kit makers would open their eyes to all the allied vehicles out there that have never been modeled, or only in resin, or only years and years ago by Tamiya. Why can't we have a really good US half-track, a up to date M3 Lee or Grant, a true early model M4 or M4A1? Why can't some of the British tanks like the light tanks that fought in the early desert, or their armored cars? Why do we have to make due with just a few French tanks, or French tanks with German markings?

I can't even build all the ones I have now, but I'm stocking up for that mythical day when I retire. I figure any kit I buy now, is going to be less expensive that it would be 20 some years from now, and since they don't go bad over time why not?

DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 01:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do we need anymore Tiger/Panther/KingTiger (or even Abrams kits?)

yes, I need them, I wish there would be every variant of them(wait, I think there is) I just can't get enough of them.

But that doesn't mean that it should be all they ever release, I think they should realese some kits of different vehicles like the Panther II, Maus, and the panzer 1,2 and 3. there are enough halftracks from dragon so we are OK for now.

So, the answer is.......you can blame it on people like me!! :-)
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 02:14 AM UTC
I wish that there was more available also, both Axis and Allied. There are many things not offered. I also think that the release of some of the prototype German equipment of which there were few made is perhaps misleading to the general public. It makes it seem as if these vehicles were common. I would rather see the effort of producing new kits put into someting that was actually used commonly.

Also, I think there is room for another Abrams.... at least the return of one. I can't find a single 1/35 M1 kit currently in production. I am talking plain M1 not an A1 or A2. I would be very happy to see the old Tamiya kit come back. I guess maybe I will need to rework an A1 kit to get what I want.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 02:36 AM UTC
I can understand an all-new Tiger 1 etc, etc, etc if it is better than that which was sold previously. But it is my understanding that many of the "new" things are just re-releases, void of detail and the like. It is this that I can't understand.

Anyway I'm happy for all of the really "new" things that are amazing out now!! I agree this is truely a golden age!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On the positive, the major players are promising us some really nice stuff, 1/72nd is becoming acceptable again after years in the wilderness and the AM manufacturers seem to be going from strength to strength....

Things are good from where I stand. Do I care that another manufacturer has released another WW2 German armor kit? Not really, but if it helps them make money that may be used on future projects, then I'm all for it.

As far as 1/72 scale goes, Revell has set a standard. Dragon has picked up the gauntlet and is beginning to challenge them. So far, Dragon chose some pretty good kits to carve their own niche. The Elefant/Ferdinand was a Braille kit that would be popular (WW2 German) and not readily available (old Esci kit was OOP and Italeri had not begun to reissue it).

Once they had kits in the Braille market, they went with the "hot" item, the OIF Abrams, Bradley and Challenger which were then racing across your television screens. They tossed in some more German armor sure sellers like the Panther and the Tiger (SturmTiger, Tiger I, BergeTiger, King Tiger).

Smart marketing moves. They jumped in with what sells (WW2 German) and the current hot trend (OIF equipment) while Revell maintains their leisurely pace. Revell should have released retooled Abrams, Warrior, and Bradley kits to grab some of the OIF market. They lost their chance there.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hi, I agee that the modeling industry, esp. the armor-- since the armor is what I do--had really skyrocketed in the last decade or so, or at least in the last few years that I've been involved with it again.

Could it be called a 'golden age' of modeling? Well, maybe, as compared to the '60s and '70s, but maybe not, if we could have a crystal ball and look into the future of this hobby in 10 to 20 years we may kind of look on the present as maybe a pre-'golden age' era.

Personally I am very, very satisfied with the current releases that have and are coming out as time passes along. There could be fewer of certain kits that have sort of become sort of trite--Panthers, Tigers, etc. in 1/35.

And since I can't keep up as it is with the kits I now have stockpiled out in the garage and in my closet, nor can I fiancially even half-way begin to have all I would really like to, not only in models but books as well, I'm sort of in my 'golden age' right now. Ha, ha!

At present I'm really excited about these new releases in 1/16 scale and I hope that this trend develops and grows into other kits of both Allied and Axis machines in the future.

Take care, Sgirty
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hi Jim

I'm pretty optimistic - although the rising price of oil looks like a major cloud on the horizon (good job I've got several lifetime's worth of kits stocked up! ).

As regards subject matter, for aircraft modellers things haven't been so good since the 60s and early 70s! A huge number of kits are appearing with some really interesting subjects. Yes, some are "short run", but the quality of these is improving with every release, which means we can all build kits of 'planes we could only have dreamt of a few years back.

I agree with Martin - 1/48 scale vehicles is potentially a huge area to be exploited. Bandai showed the way 30-odd years ago and Tamiya and co. are only just waking up.

Pre-built or pre-painted kits? What is that all about? I just don't get it at all... but then I don't work in marketing!

All the best

Rowan
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:40 AM UTC
I have also seen some really good stuff, specially from Dragon, you know, little details that make you want to build their models, like PE screens, or turned aluminum barrels on AFV club kits and PE, there is no excuse not to build OOB any more.
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

).

As regards subject matter, for aircraft modellers things haven't been so good since the 60s and early 70s! A huge number of kits are appearing with some really interesting subjects. Yes, some are "short run", but the quality of these is improving with every release, which means we can all build kits of 'planes we could only have dreamt of a few years back.

I think aircraft modeling has gotten more interesting since MPM and Rodan, joined the game. They seem to have the nak of looking back at the old interesting aircraft that were missed in the first go round.( prototypes, etc.)

I, like Merlin, have stock piled kits for a few years, and can now pick and choose of the new offering. A few years ago I made weekly trips to MLHS, now I go when I hear of something interesting. I think new offering in 1/48 are on the rise, at least at MLHS.

If a new kit comes out they have it within a week or two. When I've made shopping trips if they don't have what I'm looking for they will. (ie. I went looking for a Braille scale WirbelWind Flak Panzer, none were to be had at any of the shops in rhe area, a week later my main source had 2 so I bought them.)

The newest trend at MLHS is Soviet Armor and Soft Skins, I guess now that "that War" is over it's time to "Model the Bad Guys", just like with all the German Armor.

I really haven't seem any down trend here, they have given over 2 rows to War Gamers and 1 to the pre-build stuff, but it's still hard to walk around in the place due to the selection.

Oh, for those of you experiencing a little envy, MLHS is Brookhurst Hobbies and they do mail order too, and have a web presence.

For me life is good, in the modelling world anyway.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:21 AM UTC
I have a fear that there are so many companies and cottage industry suppliers now that it will implode!
Its a safe bet to release every variant of something that is almost there already.
What new kits have tamiya had in the last 5 years? I heard rumours a year ago they were having financial troubles. There are so many kits being released now thats its impossible to buy all your interested in.
Like some before me, I have a stock for a few years and I am getting more fussy of what I pick up.
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have also seen some really good stuff, specially from Dragon, you know, little details that make you want to build their models, like PE screens, or turned aluminum barrels on AFV club kits and PE, there is no excuse not to build OOB any more.

This is why I believe we are headed into the Golden Age of Modeling. The inclusion of PE, metal barrels, resin bits all in an effort to make a more realistic model is just what the doctored ordered.

Dragon's new 251 series which gives you the parts to build one of three major sub-variants (we are not talking some minor differences) is a big step forward. Imagine this option with Tiger, Panther, Sherman, etc kits. What a dream!

Then you have Trumpeter smashing down boundries with their big t-34 series. These models are amazing not only in their size, but in scope of detail with full interiors. The guantlet is being thrown my the Chinese manufacturers and they will move ahead quickly in the game if not challenged. A lot of people seem disappointed with Tamiya recently. While their lack of new releases in frustrating, we must remember that they have a huge part of thier market in the RC industry, perhaps they fill they cannot compete with the newest kits and prices from the Chinese sector and are adjusting their focus to different products.

As for the content of the new releases. Well, I'm a German builder, so I can't complain. Although I would like to see a good kit of the t-62 and -72.

And the pre-built, pre-painted thing. I'm not really interested, but if I keep up my 70 hour a week work schedule, I flat don't have time to model anymore. I can understand those who don't have the time, but want pretty little tanks on their shelf buying these kits. More power to them I say.

Stuke

Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:16 AM UTC
I agree, unfortunately this thread makes me want to rant! Well just to get it off my chest!

Trumpeter and Italeri release their Abrams (M1A1 & M1A2) and Trumpeter releases their three Challenger2 kits. What does Tamiya do, plays tag and releases the same vehicles. Why don’t they (or Academy) retool their Centurion so we have a decent Centurion kit for a change? No, they re-release the old kit (warts and all) over and over…

Also in 1/72 scale along comes Ace and releases a plethora of much needed Soviet (and other) kits. Anybody say wow thanks, no most people just have a go at them, because “they don’t measure up to Revell’s new standard”. Why not compare them to Airfix or ESCI, Newsflash at present nobody, but Revell measures up to Revell’s standard.

I’m not saying that Tamiya’s kits are bad and ACE’s are good. With Tamiya, quite the contrary actually, but, why release the exact same vehicles others have released (and done quite a good job of)?
With ACE, the kits are rough, but at least there are now kits that can be built, corrected (where needed) and detailed, previously we had to either convert (if we were lucky) or scratchbuild.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:08 AM UTC
Now I've bought from all the countries, but the only ones I bought more then one of a kind have been Allied.

I think everybody favors their own country, cause I've seen the British have been wanting more of their own armour, and Americans want more US armor, it is just a patriotic thing to do, to support your own country.

Now if they don't complain, then they won't be heard. I'd like to see more US armor myself, I just wished there was better choices of allied armor.

Kerry
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:46 AM UTC
I'll throw my hat in the ring, too. Now, I'm going on my experiences. I don't know what's out there for a number of reasons:
1. I can't drive.
2. I have very little money to spend.
3. I can get to to hobby stores on rare occasions.
When a kit is re-introduced, chances are, I didn't know, unless one of you guys/gals talk about it. I think this is what the companies are relying upon. Supply and demand. If it sold well in the beginning, why not come out with it again? After all, how are we supposed to get new, young people into this hobby when they don't know of any older kits? Don't companies stop producing a kit, even a good kit, if it doesn't "fly off the shelves"? How do we know if one of these kits won't interest new people? Also, and this goes back to "Supply and Demand", a new interest in WWII has happened. Why? VIDEO GAMES! All of these new WWII video games have come out, and people want to see a Tiger, Mk. IV, Sherman, Churchhill, etc. After all, wasn't this what the war was fought with? So if a company wants to make couple of easy bucks with a "new" kit, why not? Besides, I think a re-introduced kit is good. I mean, think about how much work goes into making a new kit?
First, you have to find the blueprints of the vehicle. If you don't have that, you have to go with whatever's left, and pictures, also.
Second, you have to make the mold, which is would be harder than one would think.
Third, test the market. Do people want it? If not, then nobody will buy it, and you're back where you started.

Please, nobody take this the wrong way. I'm mearly extending my opinion, and not trying to change anyone else's. Thanks for your time.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

how much work goes into making a new kit?

I agree with you about that, they can't make a new kit on plastic because maybe noone would buy it, I understand, but if Dragon is doing it then Tamiya should be able to.

no wonder they have financial problems. so sad it would be for tamiya to disapear taking all the classics with them, but they took themselves to their doom.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but if Dragon is doing it then Tamiya should be able to.

no wonder they have financial problems. so sad it would be for tamiya to disapear taking all the classics with them, but they took themselves to their doom.

How true, how true. Too bad Tamiya can't follow Dragon's example. Thanks for your time.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:27 AM UTC
Anyone else old enough to remember waiting on the next issue of "Military Modeler" to hit the mailbox to see what Duane Phister had cobbled together? Remember when you grabbed the 1/32nd scale Monogram kits just to get the insert that Shep put in there? I do. I remember going to the National Ordinance Museum and standing on the Leopold in person and joking with my brother about how that would make an awesome 1/35th scale kit. Now there are two.
I think armor modeling is a niche market for most companies. Hit a Wal Mart or a Hobby Lobby. How many armor kits do they have? Not many. Not near as many as the car kits. I am really thankful that someone is releasing new kits, in any scale, whatever the subject. Granted, there are some things that I would like to see released that haven’t been yet. But, I have so many kits in the stash that I was so glad they released that I bought one (or two) it will take me 10 years to catch up. Maybe I’m old school, but I am pretty satisfied.

Rant on and off.

Shaun

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Duane Phister

Now that's a name from the past......
Wonder what ever happened to him, just seems he disappeared, and then the magazine disappeared..... Aliens maybe......
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:52 PM UTC
Some interesting point - just to play soothsayer for a moment but a couple of things that I'm confident atre going to happen in the next 12 months...

1) Tamiya (and one or two others) will move their production facilities to China in the next 12 months. Following that the entire company will be based there (its more logical to produce the masters in China) technically they are as capable as anyone else..

2) 1/16th scale is going to increase in popularity. I don't think that those 1/16th Scale Shermans are too far away..

3) Trumpeter is going to become the standard bearer of the hobby - previously every manufacturer's releases were judged against Tamiya - that 'mantle' of responsibility is going to fall on the shoulders of Trumpeter...

4) The 'net is going to cripple the conventional magazines. One has already gone in the U.K. and more will follow...

5) The manufacturers are going to waken up one day and realise that their market research is here - on the 'web.... This promises some really exciting times for well-placed sites like Armorama which are constantly re-inventing themselves...

Any more predictions?...Jim
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:36 PM UTC
Well Jim , I agree. Trumpeter is going to be the key player in the future! I build in all three area's, Armor , ships and aircraft. And what I see Trumpeter is the one company that is listening to us modelers. Smart! Now, by building in these three area's I can see comparing trends. Armor has been covered here, in comparing the other types of military models, Ships are like armor in popualarity. Say in all scales , if you want Japanese WW-2 warships you can build the entire fleet! If you build in WW-2 germany ships thats pretty well covered to. But if you build in US or Royal navy ships you are stuck with a small handfull of kits to choose. Aircraft seems to be a little more spread out. But still Germany kits seem to be more populer with the manufactures and modelers also. I'm rooting for trumpeter all the way to bring out interesting products in all area's! Thats just my take on this.

Garry
 _GOTOTOP