TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Indiana Jones tank
armorguy
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 269 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:07 AM UTC
What country and model was the tank on Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? It was one of the tanks that has the tracks that basically go all the way around the thing up to the roof height. It must have been something like a British Mk IV, but does anyone know for certain? My brother and I were discussing it and can't figure it out.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:51 AM UTC
It was pretty much a completely fictional tank. It has a lot of characteristics of WWI tanks, but really doesn't match anything.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 05:33 AM UTC
its interesting, because supposedly this is a couple years before world war two, and the guys are still using a ww1 tank? its wierd.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:19 AM UTC
It was a piece of fiction as was the Nazi aircraft in the first film. If you remember it had gull wings and HUGE landing gear with rear facing props. Sort of looked like something you may have seen one time in a book on Nazi uber planes that were drawn on a table napkin, type of plane.
armorguy
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 269 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 09:19 PM UTC
Yes, I always thought that it was strange that it was so close to WWII and they were still using this WWI relic. However, if you'll recall in the movie, the Nazis got the tank from that other country to use (I can't recall the name of the country). The other country I think was maybe an old British province so they may have had old British military equipment to use. They traded the Rolls Royce for it! It's good to know that it was a fictional tank, though, since I couldn't find a direct match.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 10:12 PM UTC
It's easy to tell it's a fake since it has the chassis of a MK IV or some similar British WW1 type tank, but it also has a turret. No WW1 tanks used that combination. Still, what's the big deal? It's not like the Indy films are supposed to be realistic or based in fact.
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:30 AM UTC
Realism schmealism, this is the movies, right?

It's also worth noting that the Germans who pursue Indy and his Dad from the Schloss where they were held captive are riding poorly disguised modern Japanese trail bikes; old world motorbikes, and especially big heavy military BMWs and Zundapps - simply do not handle the way those bikes in the movie do...

acav out
Kar98K
entire network: 126 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2004 - 11:18 AM UTC
It is supposed to be so close to WWII but they still are flying Zeppelins. Even though it has many inaccuracies I still enjoy the movies.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:06 PM UTC
Gentlemen...it is a REQUIREMENT when watching fantasy movies to suspent all disbelief. If you spend all your time assessing what is wrong with this or that piece of equipmet ( something my best friend does with small arms) then you are not enjoying the movie. Next time have fun with it. :-)
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,189 Posts
KitMaker Network: 343 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 09:42 AM UTC
There are a two pages dedicated to the Tank from The Last Crusade in the book "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones, the Best of the Lucasfilm Archives". According to the book, the tank was a replica of a "Mark 7" German WW1 tank of which only 8 were origianlly made during the war. The movie replica was built of steel and weighed in at 29 tons! It sounds like they essentially built a tank, not some flimsy movie prop!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 04:16 PM UTC
Nick, they were still flying Zeppelins until the late 1930s....

As one of the earlier contributors said - it's a fantasy movie, sit down and enjoy it - don't nitpick...Jim
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 01:35 AM UTC
In the movie where Indiana was looking for the Arc of the covenant. There was a scene there where he was carrying what seemed to me to be an RPG. He was threatening to blow up the Ark if the Germans didn't let go of the girl.

I was first skeptical and thought it was a panzerfoust. But it had a pistol grip. I'm sure it was an RPG.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 02:32 AM UTC
And if you go to this link-
http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?ImageUrl=http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/gallery/screens/r30.jpg ,
You will see the weapon in question.
Doesn't look like a Panzerfaust to me either...

P.S.- any sharp-eyed movie buffs recognize the terrain?
shootER5
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 02:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And if you go to this link-
http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?ImageUrl=http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/gallery/screens/r30.jpg ,

P.S.- any sharp-eyed movie buffs recognize the terrain?

Are you saying that a pack of Jawas or Sand People might try to snatch the Ark in that scene?;)

nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 10:19 PM UTC
It is an RPG-7. But even if it was a Panzerfaust it wouldn't have been any more accurate, since they didn't come into service until well into the war.

But since the whole thing is a fantasy movie, rather than a historical documentary I wouldn't be too concerned. After all, in the third film they escape from the zeppelin in a Tiger moth with a gun ring added to the rear cockpit...

And it is the same valley that R2D2 got zapped by the Jawas!
Bishop
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 11:49 PM UTC
dang...you went WAY back to answer this post...