_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Need your opinion
TangoCharlie
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:05 AM UTC
Hi guys

I have not logged on Armorama for about 2 months now, because I've been trying to finish up my 1/16th scale T-55A model for the US National.

Well It is almost done, here are some photos of it.

I need you constructive criticism, and let me know what you think before I finish it, and don't be shy in your criticism.

Thanks

Talk to you later

T. Chouman
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
Show off!

It's a long way from what you showed us in April at your house. Looks fantastic as your work always does.
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:46 AM UTC
I have to say that this is another fantastic job TC. Sooner or later another modeling magazine would have this build in their covers. Congratulations on this excellent build.
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
entire network: 846 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:53 AM UTC
Awesome!!The engine compartment is incredible!!
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 02:08 AM UTC
Magnificent. Simply magnificent. I am very impressed with your work. Can't see much to criticize. Thank you very much for showing it.

Cody
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:06 AM UTC
Are you sure it's a model?
Bravissimo!!!
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:31 AM UTC
Another fantastic example of your skills. Would you like to adopt a 55 year kid??? Thanks for sharing your work with us.
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 83 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:32 AM UTC
I would say that this is a great effort well worthy
of the nats. I really like the dents& the rust,
is that an under coat pulled off with tape?
Your weathering is very subtile and well done.
Your engine and engine bay are just oustanding.
ponysoldier
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:46 AM UTC
"Honey, I shrunk the Tank!" I don't know alot about this tank, although something tells me things are accurate and to scale. The overall eye appeal is outstanding+. Sorry, I know you are looking for constructive criticism, yet this is the best I've seen in a long time. Five Beers!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 05:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another fantastic example of your skills. Would you like to adopt a 55 year kid??? Thanks for sharing your work with us.

and his brother Roo who is a mere 47! :-)

Man oh man I must admit to wondering what you were up to Talal. Now I see it and it blows my efforts of doing a cab12 CMP to bits (in my opinion). A magnificent job my friend. However as phantom Major said it would be nice to see a clutter of the crews personal gear and other soveineers around the tank.

what's next mate

cheers Roo
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 05:58 AM UTC
I have to agree with everyone else, this is just spectacular. However such a fabulous model as that should be painted in it's orgin's color - green with Soviet markings, just my opinion.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 12:29 PM UTC
Wow! I almost cried! Puts me models to shame The weathering is ok and the work is superbly done!!
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 06:27 PM UTC
Incredible...
simply superb.
Love the engine...can almost smell the hot oil.
Would a little glossy oil simulation be a little too much a nit pic?...say around the head?

What do I know?....ok, ok ...I'll stick to my side of up...
Its just that it is so so good, I feel I want to run my finger around an engine part and come away with it all greasy and oily.....so thought it should have a little "lube wetness" here and there.

OK thats enough....

Cheers
Peter

mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 06:38 PM UTC
Wow is it totally scratch built? I take my hat off to you a sure fire winner
TangoCharlie
Visit this Community
entire network: 60 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 10:04 PM UTC
Hi guys

Thanks for your comments guys, I'm blushing (++).

But come on, where are the nit picers and the rivet counters, I was expecting to hear from them first.... :-) :-) lol. I know you guys are out there..... start talking

Quoted Text

where is the crew's equipement and personal effects?

I have not yet added anything on the model, I just finished weathering the base model.
What do you think I should put on it as crew gear?? From all the images and references I got from ODS and OIF, Iraqis don't usualy have much of gears on their tanks beside sand bags, and I don't wana put sand bags

Quoted Text

should be painted in it's orgin's color - green with Soviet markings, just my opinion.

You're right, but I'm saving that color for another Russian vehicle I'm making in 1/16th.

Quoted Text

Its just that it is so so good, I feel I want to run my finger around an engine part and come away with it all greasy and oily.....so thought it should have a little "lube wetness" here and there.

I tried to do that, it didn't come out right, I guess I'm not good at simulating it. Anyone have a good way of simulating grease and oil stains?@:) , I'd love to add that to the engine and some moving parts of the tank.

What else do you guys think I should do to make it stand out more??? come on guys I need ideas but make them easy, I only have one more week left.

Later.

T. Chouman
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What else do you guys think I should do to make it stand out more??? come on guys I need ideas but make them easy, I only have one more week left.

Later.

T. Chouman

The only thing that could make it more outstanding would be to have the modified exhaust system that runs from the exhaust to the front and unsder the hull of the tank as displayed at the Patton Museum at Fort Knox. However, there's little time to get that done.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 10:26 PM UTC
Hey TC, wondered where the heck you disappeared to, now we all know, you go into isolation when finishing a project, and let us all wonder and worry about you. LOL
Nice to see you again, and as always nice to see your latest.

A safe trip to the Nationals....Knock 'em dead.....
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 11:16 PM UTC
Talal - I really can't "see" a lot on my crappy monitor here at work. I wouldn't mind sharing with you what I see - perhaps you can send me different views to my home e-mail address.

If not - then I anticipate I'll get to see it and maybe judge it in Phoenix next week...

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

tried to do that, it didn't come out right, I guess I'm not good at simulating it. Anyone have a good way of simulating grease and oil stains?@:) , I'd love to add that to the engine and some moving parts of the tank

Try using some Vaseline petroleum jelly with a little burnt umber for color. Brush it on the areas that you want the grease stains and dust with a little pastel to simulate the dirt that will cake on the grease. The real thing sometimes is the best.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:17 AM UTC
also availiable are the ceramic grease that they use in RC cars as lubricant.

cheers
Cliff
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:20 AM UTC
Hey bud....long time no hear...

As far as the "grease" effect....maybe some locksmith's graphite...other than that ....

I would like to take a vote on expelling this guy from the site for life and take back his membership...cause if we don't, I feel a few of us will just give-in, give up and start scrapbooking for a hobby.

BTW...FOR TRADE OR SWAP:

All my models and equiptment for some scissors, photo albums and glue.

OK...here you go...your paint chipping effect is real good and the paintjob itself is nice but as for the "wear and tear" of daily life, perhaps a better "wearing down" of the paint in places that their combat boots would make ( entering and exiting) around the turret and the engine cover plates where they would be standing, kneeling and even setting tool boxes and the occasional loose and greasy tools ( a spill from and oil can or something like that) . I guess what I'm thinking of is a more "localized" wearing away of the finish in certain places. Since this weathered look is not what we're used to seeing from you, AND your T-55 is not off the showroom floor and could use some "daily life" marks on it instead of just the rust, nicks and bumps you've so wonderfully captured...but just my opinion...Dude, ever try scrapbooking?

hehe
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You're right, but I'm saving that color for another Russian vehicle I'm making in 1/16th.

Another one, wow, I can't wait. Can you tell what it will be or will we just have to wait?
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:03 AM UTC
Talal,

The grease/oil stains you seek might be accomplished with Higgins black ink. It dries to a semi-gloss and if you don't like the effect it can be muted very easily with water. I reduce the ink with as a mixture of water and about 10% Glass-Plus which breaks surface tension and stops the water from beading. In this instance however surface tension might be used to your advantage. Good luck at the Nats.

Cody
Bishop
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:19 AM UTC
That is one of the greatest builds I have ever seen. I do see one thing that caught my eye, but it took a lot of looking to find anything that wasnt absolutely awesome. I just think that with the overall weathering of the model, that the wheels seem a little too "clean". But dont take my word for it, could be just me and Im no expert. Once again, fantastic build! I only wish I had your skills...
 _GOTOTOP