Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What era, nation, type do you specialize in?
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 04:13 AM UTC
I also would like to build some sci-fi, I'm just waiting for a kit of the Death Star in 1/35 :-)
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 05:30 AM UTC
anything and everything in 1/35 got a few wing/rotor stuff as well I'll build anthing from any era/country unless it's a complete dog of a kit
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 05:50 AM UTC
I just like painting,doesn't matter what,but my soft spot is Highlanders.
Arthur
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 05:51 AM UTC
WW2 Allied, mostly Commonwealth vehicles, all periods of the war but mostly 1943-45.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 05:58 AM UTC
So far WWII Allied armor, and that includes US, British, and Commonwealth. I've built two axis armored kits, but both were either knocked out or captured.

I've also made one Allied plane and two Allied ships but I really didn't like making them very much. I like the way they look on my shelf, but not what I had to go though to get them there.

I've lately picked up a few ODS or OIF vehicles, but haven't even begun to THINK about making them.

StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:04 AM UTC
Two biggest interests:

WW II German armor - mostly '43 to '45

Modern Soviet armor - mostly Iraqi varients

I do buy stuff that tickles my fancy outside these two, but I am trying to reign it in a bit.
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:09 AM UTC
At present I'm concentrating on early WW2 German and British armor in Poland, France and North Africa.

Also have an affinity for Sturmgescschutz and PanzerJaegers and a slight touch of Shermanitus.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:32 AM UTC
My interests lie in modern US ground forces, infantry and vehicles with a slight interest in aircraft. Once I get rolling and more experienced my plan is to build as many US Marine Corps ground pieces/figures as possible. I'd like to do a semi-history of the Corps through models. Especially starting with the WWII Island Hopping Campaign.

I see a TON of WWII stuff and the majority is ETO with an amazing amount of German vehicles and figure model options out there, which is great. I love looking at everyone's work and will try a bit of German stuff as well because it's so darned cool! I would like to see more PTO models/dio's and plan on doing my part to get more out there.

Of course now with OIF, modern military modeling will have a direction to go other than just static vehicle displays. I even have an interest in possibly exploring some 'alternate history' displays, such as what if the cold war turned hot? What if the Soviets invaded the US, a la Red Dawn? That sort of thing would be interesting and with complete latitude for creativity.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:37 AM UTC
M113 variants, CVR(t)s, Leopard 1s plus some assorted Bundeswehr and British stuff and the occasional MBT. Keeps the spending focused and the wife happy.

Paul
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:28 AM UTC
I'll do anything thing from WWII... armor or softskins...I guess my collection is a little German heavy ,as is my reference library,but right now I'm in a Sherman kinda mood and almost anything else Allied for that matter ..Things are looking OD for quite a while to come...

Rick
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:33 AM UTC
I have several areas of interest: #1 - Any thing built on an M113 chassis, #2 - aircraft, particularly bi-planes from the 1920s-30s, #3 - modern US armor, espcially anything I operated, #4 - 1920s-30s armor, and finally, #5 naval combatants named after Tennessee or Nashville. :-)
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:35 AM UTC
Started with WWII armor, then soft skins, not much Germain, mostly Allied. I'm looking at WWII Japanese now, we'll see.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:58 AM UTC
I'm the first one to admit that I'm brain damaged, partly brain dead, and completely weird. (Weird New Jersey... ya know) but I really do not specialize in any area. I simply prefer building whatever strikes me as a FUN and interesting project. It has to be FUN, and remain FUN,otherwise, I'll end up tossing it into the trash bin.

I had never built a modern AFV, until I joined up here, and joined the M1A1 campaign, I found it interesting, with all the on line help and encouragement, and the exchanging of ideas doing something I had no previous interest in, and a great FUN time doing it.

So I would suggest to anyone new, or lurking, join up, join a campiagn, and put a little more enjoyment into YOUR hobby.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 09:09 AM UTC
Future Modern/Post Apocalyptic, Private U.S. Citizen conversion and hybrid vehicles in 1/35th and 1/ 160th scales. Yeah!

Cuhail
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 01:52 PM UTC
Wow guys, thanks for all the great input ! It is a very interesting subject. Funny what patterns we set for ourselves, mostly based on our interest! This is also a good way to find out what our fellow modelers are like, and share in this great hobby !

Cheers,

Garry
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 02:16 PM UTC
No specialities. Just what takes my fancy. Mostly armor and figures from WW2 .. all nations. The occasional modern vehicle and 1/16 figures. Im building a 17th centruary battleship at the moment in 1/144 scale, so when its finished I´ll make up my mind if I ever want to do it again.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 03:13 PM UTC
My era is c.1900-1955, +/-.

Nineteen hundred to 1914 is soley model railroad (HO), which continues to 1955, mainly the "Golden Era" of 1920-1950. If I had the room, I would build O gauge (1/48).

Beginning in 1914 is my aviation era. About 80% is WWII, favoring the PTO through 1943. I like the second-line planes; If I am allowed to build only one plane from now on, it would be the P-40. 1/48th rules!

WWII for me is 1940 through 1943. Beyond that is what I consider 'late war' and not very interesting. This does not stop me from building Tiger IIs, ME-262s, M-26 and P-51Ds.

Armor is ETO. Hands down my favorite is Afrika Korps. A decade ago, spurred by playing Squad Leader, I was heavily into the Russian Front and then the '40-'41 Blitzkrieg, pre-Barbarossa.

If I am allowed to build only one AFV from now on, it would be the Panzer III and variants.

Naturally, 1/35 predominates but I am heavily into 1/48 armor, with a sizable 1/87 (HO) contingent!

Ships are 90% 1/700 IJN v USN, PTs through CVs, but I must have a Bismark, Prinz Eugan and Scharnhorst/Gneisenau! I even have the Graf Zepplin, Ark Royal and Hood.

Post-war I enjoy all the first and second generation jets, M-26 through M-47,and aircraft carriers. The only deviation are third and fourth generation jets like our Century Series and their antagonists. :-)

As much as I tried to get assigned to the F-15, I have no interest in 'modern' jets.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:51 PM UTC
I am an EXCLUSIVE German Armor Modeler.
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 389 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 11:03 PM UTC
I specialize in any part of ww2 German army, except the luftwaffe. It seems that I won't be able to produce in scales every gun, vehicle or soldier that produced Germany in that period There are so much things to do. I didn't made any planes since I'm working with diorama projects, because the planes don't give me liberty on dioramas. I can't realize them when flying.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 11:09 PM UTC
Uh... 'nam to Modern stuff (US mostly)
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 02:50 AM UTC
I can't say I specialize in any particular subject, because I would have to finish a few models first to make that claim. But I prefer just about anything WWII. I lean more towards US stuff (OD is easier to paint, IMHO) but now with the Trumpeter 1/16 T34s, I have started building a lot of T34s (1/35). I have expanded my horizons and built an Abrams (OIF ver) and the M113 (desert version). But I normally don't enjoy modern stuff. SO yeah, I guess that answers the question!
piwi
Visit this Community
Nord, France
entire network: 712 Posts
KitMaker Network: 150 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 03:47 AM UTC
Allied, Axies and others (i'm building a Zodiac with scuba divers aboard ! )

But trying to set them on a little dio , I don't like to present a vehicle just on a wooden base.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 06:53 AM UTC
I concentrate almost 100% on Italian Cavalry subjects since they had something wheeled or tracked...
Ciao
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 05:01 PM UTC
Everything except Napoleonics, aircraft (dont know what to do with them)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:47 AM UTC
Hi Gary

Well it's 1/48 scale aircraft for me...

I'm a sucker for short-run kits of unusual types and small air-forces...

I guess I really focus on WW2, but I'm also interested in WW1, "Golden Age" and early jets/50's subjects.

My interest starts to fade with mid-60's stuff and modern aircraft leave me pretty cold...

All the best

Rowan