Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How many is too many?...
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 06:51 PM UTC
hehe lord vondik I think there is something wrong with ya. Hell anyone showcasing that many unbuilt same kits has something wrong, you need to get out more and smell some unscented air....

Maybe I am just jealoused.... hehe.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 07:34 PM UTC
As long as there are tanks to be built and aircraft of the modern wars to be modeled, there will NEVER be enough. Yes, some model club or boys/girls club will probably receive most of my collection, however, until that time PLASTIC RULES. (I think I need a drink).
capnjock
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 4,342 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 09:27 PM UTC
Ooohhh-kaaaaayyyy.... It looks that my condition is not uncommon among modelers, so there is nothing to worry about. Good, huge relief

And if anyone is interested in what I want to do with all those kits, here is a little explanation. About a year ago I started a new "era" in my modeling: before that I had a three/four year break from modeling. All finished models you see on pictures were built four or more years ago and most of them just do not satisfy me anymore. Most of you have probably seen my recent truck model (in my gallery), so you know what level of detail I like to have in my models now. Those old models just look bad next to my recent creations. So some of the unbuilt kits on my photos will actually replace some of the old built models, which will then be retired and become parts donors.

1. Humvees - My goal is to have all my Humvees based on great new Tamiya kits, with two exceptions: M997 ambulance will be built almost entirely of Academy kit, but I will use Tamiya wheels/tires (as one of Tamiya kits will receive newer style Blast Models resin wheels), and prototype Bushmaster Humvee will be built almost OOtB (probably with old Verlinden wheels). Two finished Humvees are Academy M1025 and Italeri M998 and will be "retired" and replaced with two Tamiya M1025s (one with MIG Productions M998 conversion set). On a photo you can see a box with Academy M998 cargo variant kit - another Tamiya M1025 will be used to build this version and actually only some parts from Academy kit will be used. Remaining Tamiya kits will be used to build: M1046, M1044 and M966 (last two by by mixing parts form M1025 and M1046 kits). So in the end I will have "only" eigth Humvees in various versions In the future I would also like to add M1097 towing the M102 howitzer to my collection :-)

2. M113s - Those three unbuilt kits will become one M106, a variant that I do not have yet, and two M113A1s (one in ACAV configuration) which will probably replace oldest built M113s in my collection.

3. M1s - Those built kits are Tamiya M1, Academy M1A1 and Dragon M1A1HA. Only Tamiya M1 will stay (probably repainted). Academy model will be retired and Dragon model will be completely rebuilt to early M1A1 using some parts from Academy kit and Armour Model T156 tracks. Unbuilt Trumpeter kit will become a parts donor - I will use its suspension to build Revell model (rebox of Dragon kit) as M1A1HA with mine plow. Italeri kit will be build as designed - as M1A2. So in the end I will only have four Abrams models (later a fifth may appear - a new Tamiya M1A2, built as Marine M1A1HA).

4. M60s - One built model is Academy Blazer and it will stay as it is. Remaining two are Tamiya models and will both be retired. I will use three ESCI kits (two bought in Italeri boxes and one in Revell box) to build M60A1, M60A3 and M60A1RISE/Passive with reactive armor and M9 dozer (Academy dozer and armor from retired Tamiya kit will be used).

5. LVTP7s - one built kit is Academy and will be retired. It will be replaced with newly build LVTP7 Academy kit. Two Tamiya kits will be used to build LVTP7A1 and AAVP7A1 RAMS/RS with EAAK armor (I already have it from Trumpeter kit, I also have Blast Models suspension and tracks).

6. Those wingy things... Well I have not decided yet what versions I will build, but some of those kits will definitely serve just as parts donors (e.g. Academy F-15E). I guess I will have at least one of each: F-15A, TF-15A, F-15C, F-15E. Looks like I need to buy F-15D (or convert one Revell F-15E to D)

Rgds,
Pawel
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 09:32 PM UTC
Hmmm nothing wrong with you I guess.... but why collect them and not slam them all together?
I know if the mrs would even let me collect that much abrams and humvees I surely would built like crazy and not keep them in boxes... #:-)
Need an adress to get rid of them?!
#:-)
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 09:42 PM UTC
Hmmm! I often feel like I am not normal when I read posts like this #:-) because I only buy one kit at a time and (try) to finish it before I get the next. This month is my second anniversary of being back into modelling again. I have partially built 3 kits one of which is now finished and painted (my dd sherman - havent posted here yet as I dont have a camera again ). I am now finishing the 2nd kit I started and as I have about 6 months work to do on this I just have no plans to buy any anything else.

Does anyone else just "buy one build one" or am I really the sick person here - perhaps some plastic retail therapy might help.. :-) :-)

..I have to admit though I am seriously tempted to get the new dragon early T34 just for the hell of it ....

Lee
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 09:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm nothing wrong with you I guess.... but why collect them and not slam them all together?

But I'm building them all the time, I really am! Around year 2125 I should have them all finished #:-)

Rgds,
Pawel
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 09:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone else just "buy one build one" or am I really the sick person here - perhaps some plastic retail therapy might help.. :-) :-)

I started buying & building my models the same way as you do, but it was in times when Poland was still behind the Iron Curtain and quality model kits were very hard to get here. So when I only could afford buing another model and this model was at the moment available, I had to buy it ASAP. It was very likely that once model disappears from the shop shelf it will never be seen there again...

But even today when I already can easily buy most models in Poland (although I still buy a lot of them on Internet from Japan, UK and US, as they are often cheaper there and available faster) I still prefer to buy models that I want as soon as I see them - I just hate to find out that what I wanted to buy has just gone OOP, what has already happened to me a few times in the past.

Rgds,
Pawel
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 10:48 PM UTC
Have to agree not enough when they flow out of every closet this is enough!! (++) (:-)
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 12:37 AM UTC
Reading a post like this almost always makes me feel better because the number of unbuilt kits in my inventory doesn't seem so outrages. He, he... :-)
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 07:10 AM UTC
Seems fine to me. I like a little structure to keep my obsession in check. Won't buy a reference book if I only have one of the vehicle.

9 CVR(t)s and about 15 M113 variants plus 4 Leo 1s, 3 M1s and assorted British and Bundeswehr kits.

Paul
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 07:35 AM UTC
This post has me in trouble because She who must be obeyed was reading it over my shoulder, gives me that look which says I aint going to believewhat you say,whilst i look around the room innocently,whistling a Werhmact marching tune in the key of Q.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 07:49 AM UTC
I've tried to mediate with the household minister of procurement by showing her pictures of other members vast collections but I'm still stuck with 'have to finish one before you buy another'.

Paul
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 12:48 PM UTC
Not to worry!!!! #:-) You'll never be able to build every variany of the M113, no matter how long you are at it Someone is coming up with a new variation daily>>>
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why in the world would you have four identical models?

It's simple: why not? :-)
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 03:05 PM UTC
Looks to me like you are making one BIG dio!! but there is never enough may not be enough time but never enough kits!
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 03:13 PM UTC
i have been bitten by the armour bug I am coming over to the dark side , I would love to have that many humvees, m1a1 abrams , m113s, I am alittle bit jealous that I will have to get a jump start on some of the stocking so when things slow down by tamiya I wouldn't have to buy everything off e-bay buy one of use. :-) :-) #:-)

what other kits by tamiya go out of production, then reissued again later, or how long does it take till they stop making them.

I will have to ask my wife for a budget and get started on building up some stock like yours, how long did it take you to get everything in pictures if i can ask :-) #:-)
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 03:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but you dont have a M113 A2T2 with M 55..air defense system

GreyWolf - Youre an evil man!!!!
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 02:25 PM UTC
ENOUGH,
Well at first I started collecting what I was going to build right away. Then I relised that I wouldn't get all I wanted before they were OOP. so I started to by in twins. Now I have my whole model room in my basement full from floor to ceiling and stacks on the bench. Plus A 10x12 storage full of various models.
The CLINCHER is this I know I'll die before I could ever build half this collection.
I've done the Ebay thing, taken kits to club give aways, but cant wittle them down. AND I keep buying more. AAAAARGGGGGGGGG
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 07:14 PM UTC
Enough? Got me. I probably have more kits than I will be able to build in the time left to me! But, I just ordered two of Academy's new M-36, TheU.S. Machine gun kit, an Italeri Horch, andThe Tristar Pz1a early.

Over a hundred kits are on the shelves of my hobby room. These are the latest kits from DML, Tamiya, AFV, and Academy. Another 100 of the older Tamiya and Italeri kits are stored in the basement. Almost every version of Pz111, Pz1V, StuG, StuH, Has been built or to be built.

Just seems that the model companies keep bringing out better and better kits and if you don't get get it now, it won't be re-issued for five years. #:-) #:-)

I know of one individual who has over 3,000 kits in his collection, so I don't feel bad haveing less than 300 in mine!

Happy modeling to all.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 09:02 PM UTC
Seems normal enough. It's good to see many variation of the same kit. That way, you'll know how you've become a better modeler.

Here's what I'm doing this holiday

Vacation's gonna get me really busy
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Seems normal enough. It's good to see many variation of the same kit. That way, you'll know how you've become a better modeler.

Here's what I'm doing this holiday

Vacation's gonna get me really busy

One question how long is your vaction? (++) (:-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One question how long is your vaction? (++) (:-)

2 Weeks!
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 02:35 AM UTC
There´s nothing wrong with you. It happens to a lot of us. Never is aenough for a serious modeller.
In my case It doesn´t matter how many Shermans and Tigers I built, I always have the need to build another one.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 12:32 PM UTC
A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
My waist is a terrible thing to mind.

We both need more medication.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 08:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

how long did it take you to get everything in pictures if i can ask :-) #:-)

All built models in pictures were finished more then five years ago, but can't say now when the oldest of them was built... I guess it must have been some ten years ago. Two older Academy Humvees, two Tamiya Amtracs and one F-15 kit were also bought some five years ago. All remaining unbuilt kits you see on photos I bought during last 18 months.

But what is shown on photos is just a part of my collection. In total I have about 65 unbuilt kits now, 75% of them bought last year. I also have about 40 finished models in my display case - two of them finished last year, all others finished five or more years ago. As mentioned earlier the oldest of them were built some ten or maybe twelve years ago.

Rgds,
Pawel