_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
NBC News "Bloommobile"
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 06:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim --

What a fantastic experience!

You should take all this info and do an article for the site -- sooner or later this thread is going to fade into the depths of the forum ...

Hmmm, you're right - there is a lot of "stuff" that gets interjected here daily - and this thread will definitely get lost in the "din". I was against doing an article about this from Day One because I don't want to deal with people who think I'm tooting my own horn. But, this is the pinnacle of my professional modeling career and if I can't share it here - then I can't share it anywhere. And, to be frank, no modeler could aspire to do more than to model something that evokes memories in the observer. The "Bloommobile" will one day very soon be retired and replaced with a more advanced system. This will be the only 3-dimensional rememberance of the truck. I know of some of the ideas behind the second-generation concept - and I remain available to NBC News to model it too - one day...

I'm not sure how I'm going to go about it (article) because this little truck means so much to me - like it does to the personnel at NBC News - it's hard to settle down and think clearly. I'm overwhelmed with a lot of emotions right now. I can't tell you in words how 'hard' Thursday actually was...

Mark Lukasiewicz asked me for who I thought he himself should approach to have these models covered in print. Pete is of the opinion that an armor modeling magazine like AMPS' Boresight or MMiR would be great - but I don't agree. I think if NBC News is going to consider allowing even a little blurb to showcase this modeling effort, it should go to a magazine with the reach of FineScale Modeler, considering its worldwide distribution and quality. I might get involved with putting that piece together in the short-term - and I feel it would also give opportunity to further mention my affiliation with Armorama.com and bring more attention to this Site here.

Below are a series of photos of the Memorial itself. It is located at NBC News Headquarters, 30 Rockerfeller Plaza, in NYC. When you take the Studio Tour of NBC - you'll see this right as you come off the elevators on the third floor. NBC News is located on this level.

The Display itself is a six-figure construction made out of fine Cherry wood which will darken gracefully with age. It's viewable from either side, and has an impressive etched glass interior panel with a geographic representation of the globe - with pointers and descriptions of the locals around the world where NBC News Journalists lost their lives covering news events. Inside the case, equipment and artifacts belonging to these men are enshrined. Everything from actual cameras used to catch the footage - even when the cameramen were struck down and killed while still filming, to David Bloom's flak vest, goggles, notepad, and even the 3rd Infantry Division's Unit Coin (you Army guys know about these) is placed into a vest pocket. The model miniatures are positioned in the sand down on the base of the display with the cameras and recording equipment - viewable from both sides.

In the photos below, I am (unknowingly - else I'd be out of the shot) caught in the black leather jacket. Pete Gay is in the tan sport coat, and Craig White is in the grey sport jacket.

Thanks for letting me share these images!

Gunnie
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 06:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for letting me share these images!
Gunnie

Thanks for posting them Gunnie !
We look forward to your article
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 07:00 AM UTC
Absolutely wonderful Sir Gunnie! I hope that you are as proud of your accomplishment(s) as we are of you!!

What an honor!!
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 05:09 AM UTC
Congratulations Gunnie! I was really touched by this account...God has obviously rewarded you for your humble spirit...what an honor...you did an outstanding job on the "Bloommobile"....

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 05:35 AM UTC
Doh!! And here I have been wondering how this project was going. Had to go to Gunnie's site to be redirected back here to read this.

Great work Jim! A true scratchbuilt masterpiece! Thanks for sharing all this info with us and especially for highlighting Armorama as you have. Good luck with the published article as well. I only hope FSM will consent to mention us. #:-)

Cheers,
Jim
kitbasher
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 09:08 AM UTC
hello gunnie

bravo on the job!

kitbasher
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 09:14 AM UTC
Gunnie thank you for shareing these pictures and treasured memories.

I have been called a master of softskins but I now know someone that I concider to be streets ahead of me in the 'Master' catagory!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 09:40 AM UTC
First, how in the world did this posting get past me?! Darn it!

Gunnie, thanks for sharing the pics and the once (?) in a life time experience with us here. You have done the world of scale modeling a great deed with this project. I feel honored, as do many others here, that you took the time to partage this with us at Armorama.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 11:41 AM UTC
Thanks Guys! I am still very proud of this miniature and the way it was received. I thought I'd have come down from that high by now - but looking at the thread again - I still feel the same way I did when I turned it over to them. It just kicked me up a notch remembering it again.

I hope, Jim, that if/when FSM does cover the Memorial that they indeed do add the Modeler's Bio like they traditionally do. No way Armorama won't get mentioned if that's the case!

Thanks for the compliment Cliff - this was the single hardest softskin miniature I've ever been asked to pull off. It was cool because I really like trucks, and Ford trucks too. Around my area there are Ford F-Series trucks everywhere you turn. I wish I had one too. Trying to carve and shape that Cab caused me many a sleepless night trying to get the contours correct, but I had plenty of examples to stare at and examine up close. Why can't designers just make things slab-sided and flat! Think Dragon Wagon! It was fun though because there were some modelers out there who passed/quaffed on NBC's request simply because they thought it was impossible to successfully complete in 1:35th scale.

Han Solo once said - "...never tell me the odds..."

I think I might go ahead and finish my attempt to model a CUCV in 1:35th scale. This one will be for me!

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 11:58 AM UTC
Howdy Gunnie,

It's been a verrrrrrrrrrrry long day for me, and an obviously longer period since I originally commented and began this thread...........and I must say, it seriously warms my heart, and sooths my harried mind to read the last couple of posts within this thread, and simply bathe in the 'sharing' spirit!..............I'd say it warms my cockles as well, but you'd probably get the wrong idea...

Anyway......I have been....and still am, in sheer awe of your efforts regarding this whole thing. I watch the 'Today Show' every morning and have the vicarious thrill of knowing that I 'know the guy who built this Masterpiece for one of your fallen Hero's' rush, that sends me out the door thinking to myself........"humpf!....modeler's are honourable people indeed".

For what it's worth.......I will always thank you for that Jim!

I cherish the friendship we have.

Tread.

_GOTOTOP