Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
NBC News "Bloommobile"
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 04:35 PM UTC
Gunnie,
CONGRATS.. They (NBC) have picked a winner. NBC couldn't have brought OIF to Americas living room in a mure desreving light. You will serve NBC well.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 04:43 PM UTC
Well Gunnie as well as the obvious congrats, well deserved, and couldn't have found anyone better remarks, I DEMAND MULTIPLE PHOTO"S!!!!!! You have spoiled me with all the help and advice you have given me in several constructions and I am absolutly thrilled to hear of this recognition.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 05:11 PM UTC
Gunnie;

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! It could not have happened to a better person! Told the family and they were impressed and send Congrats as well! A fine honor for you for a journalist who I have not heard a single bad thing about! It is a perfect fit!

You are an example of what is GREAT about this hobby! As per usual you GIVE and expect nothing!

I SALUTE YOU!!!

Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 06:02 PM UTC
My humble congratulations for this honour that i believe everyone of us would like to have once in our modelling life. I wish and i am sure you make it out all the best way possible so we wait for photo food!!!
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 06:13 PM UTC
thats a very good news.congratulations Gunnie
AIRBORNEDAD
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 06:34 PM UTC
Hey GUNNIE,

You ' DA MAN !!

ABD
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 07:06 PM UTC
Way to go Gunnie , now give them one hell of a model .

Kris
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 09:39 PM UTC
Well done and congratulations . The only danger I see in this is, is you could be asked to do a similar thing for FOX . I don't think the world is ready for a dio of Geraldo searching caves in Afghanistan for Usama, at least there isn't a Riveromobilie...yet , All the best, Jim
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 12:34 AM UTC
Congratulations Gunnie! Nice one!
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 02:17 AM UTC
Congrats Gunnie. Just another reason why aside from the obvious ones.Why we are the lucky ones to have you here on Armorama.
Paul
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 02:36 AM UTC
HEY Gunnie Ole Buddie: WOW Talk about PRESSURE He-He-He !!! You know I am adding
my congrads as well. I think everyone has pretty much covered that point already. So instead I think I would like to add to what Jim Our Fearless Leader said. It would be just as nice. If they were to do a piece on you and the model and were also to mention Armorama, Now That would be a GREAT boost for both the site itself and our hobby. So Way to go Big Guy. You Truely are blessed.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 02:58 AM UTC
Wonderful news there Sir Gunnie!! Congratulations out to you as well!!
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 268 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 03:02 AM UTC
Way to go!!! cant wait to see this once its finished a full scratch built model? wow!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 05:00 AM UTC
My wife told me to check the 'Net yesterday - but I didn't know what the deal was...

No emoticon can match the grin on my face this morning! :-) Thank you to all who wished me well and congrats. It means the world - and part of the reason why I hang my hat here at Armorama and no where else on the 'Net. It's hard to explain - but let me just say that it is difficult to soar with Eagles whilst hanging out with Turkeys - go where the Eagles are...

Between now and the due date, forgive me if I duck out a day or two, or don't jump on News and Reviews as quickly. I'm in the Bunker working on this project because of the short deadline.

I'm being flown out the NBC News Headquarters next week for meetings with the Special Projects Group and to spend a day with the "Bloommobile" and the man who supervised the conversion and principally maintains the truck today. (Sabot - I haven't forgotten! I just don't know the meeting agenda and schedule yet to tell you for sure if I can make it up!) NBC has been nothing but excited, accomodating, and classy throughout this project. I'm thrilled to be associated with them in this endeavor. Plus - I get to see New York City for the first time! A California Geek in the Big City! So many things to see...

Like Tread pointed out (I'm giving Tread an electronic 'noogie' right now) this one calls for digging deep into my bag of tricks. Heck, all the support and encouragement NBC News has extended me makes me feel like I can do anything. Now you guys provide enough inspiration to do the impossible, I already completed the great materials hunt to get everything I'll need to complete the project. I already have the specs from Ford Motor Company and am just waiting for specs from the manufacturer of the rear body and specs on the sat comm gear. I used similiar equipment 12 years ago while in the Air Force, so I'm both quite familiar with the technology (though still prohibited from modeling any of it when I separated from Service - drats!) and curious to see if some of the cutting-edge equipment we used has made it to the civilian world.

It is a total scratchbuild - so I will employ resin casting for the Super Duty extended Cab, resin for the wheels on my Lathe, axles and rear dualie conversion. Photoetching for small data plates and Ford Logos where present on the truck. Vacforming for the Cab Glass and likely the dome that protects the sat -dish. And, traditional sheet styrene sheet, strip, and rod for the rest with the traditional small detail items I regularly employ in modeling trucks. I guess this will be my second Thesis in applying everything I've learned over the years. I'm excited - this opportunity rarely if ever comes - for a modeler. I think it'll open up some doors and exposure unreachable before...

I can't tell you the extent of the project because the scope changes weekly. They brought me on for "balls-to-the-walls" so I already know the interior of the Cab and the sat comm gear will be modeled. I already have provisions to model the Engine and Compartment if required - and the local Ford dealers will allow me to go in and take peeks at a F-450 when I need too. I think the Hood will be closed though - that would look a bit odd with the Hood open in the planned display. The dome might be modeled to view the dish and pedestal inside. We have to hash that out when I go to New York - the best way to present this visually that is. I'm not a fan of the "cut-away" look. Plus, after David Bloom passed away, the NBC News Crew remaining in Iraq put "HI DAVE" on top of the dome with duct tape in honor of him because they knew he'd be watching them from Heaven. I think this feature should be modeled for sure...

Besides the Hood, I don't presently have a feel for whether or not to open Doors, etc, because the display is still in the formative stage at this point. I'll learn more next weekend and will better know how to proceed. The original truck conversion was done in white, but the "Bloommobile" was painted Desert Tan for deployment. East Coast Modeler Pete Gay will be modeling the M88A2 Hercules that carried a special camera rig for coverage. Signals were beamed from the Herc' back to the "Bloommobile" up to two miles behind the spearhead in the drive to Baghdad. Pete can only go off the photos of the Herc' because the base vehicle was returned to it's original configuration after the deployment.

Naturally, the AFV Club model is going to used as the base for modeling the Herc' and NBC News desires the "Bloommobile" to be rendered in constant scale. Since I've already modeled and completed the "Bloommobile" in my mind several times - and now it's a matter of execution - I'm quite interested to see how the Herc' comes out. I know Pete will go a fine job of it. They will make an impressive pair - NBC News is quite proud of their accomplishment.

There will be no figures modeled to accompany these two models, or anything else in the display at NBC News Headquarters. This was done in respect to the families of the Journalists and I agree wholeheartedly. At this time, my participation in the overall project is the contribution of the "Bloommobile" - a tall order indeed. Plans are for NBC News to open this display at their Headquarters in Rockerfeller Plaza on or about 1 April 2004 to honor the anniversary of the passing of David Bloom. I will be present for the unveiling and a plaque mentioning the modelers will be included in the display.

I hadn't planned on mentioning any of this, but I'm compelled now to let you know of any significant changes as they come up. NBC News hasn't been asked (by us modelers) if they will allow either Pete or myself to chronicle this modeling effort, nor mentioned how they want to cover it yet. I'm comfortable with allowing that to blossom in the fullness of time. I will keep my records of the buildup - but will only display it in accordance with the wishes of NBC News Special Projects.

As far as interviewing and news spots - I don't know much about that possibility either, but it's difficult to imagine them not - as the "Bloommobile" is a source of great pride with NBC News. But, rest assured Jim, NBC News Headquarters will see more than one "Armorama" polo while I'm there. If interviewed, I will mention my affiliation with the "Big A".

Sorry for the long post - there's a lot happening for me concerning this project. Thanks again guys!

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 05:28 AM UTC
Wow Gunnie, that is awesome! :-)

Good luck on this new adventure!

YM
john17
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 920 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 06:14 AM UTC
Gunnie:

All I can do is echo all the well wishers who posted earlier. You certainly have a tough road ahead of you, but one that I think you will meet head on, and come out for the better on the other side. Whether you get to share your progress with us, or we have to wait for NBC's great unveiling, it is something I will anticipate with bated breath. Best of luck Gunnie...we're all pulling for you.

John
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 08:01 AM UTC
Congratulations Gunnie,you da man! :-) :-) I will drink them for you,you get to modelling
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 08:19 AM UTC

Good to hear from you my friend.........I'm just glad to see ya SHINE !!!!!!!

your pal,

Tread. :-)
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 393 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 08:22 AM UTC
Way to go, Gunnie. I feel honored to be a part of this association with you.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 09:56 AM UTC
WOW is right- What an impressive project!! I'd love to see the logs when it is completed- we'd all learn a lot from this.

Now we all can say "Ya, I 'know' a guy who is building this model for NBC to honor David Bloom..." To say we are proud of you and our digital association/ friendship with you is a significant understatement!

Good luck Bro!! And we will certainly understand if your time here is limited!!

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 01:47 PM UTC

Yeah, if they want to do the cut-away, see if you can convince them to use some photos of the hardware instead. I think it will look best as a 'whole' model.

Tell me when it will be on public display so I can go in and see it!

And, make sure to let us know when you will be on the 7 o'clock news with Brokaw and on MSNBC.

Steve
sweatydogz
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 114 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 01:55 PM UTC
We are not worthy.............. Congrats Gunnie.
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 02:07 PM UTC
WOW!!!! Congrats Gunnie!!!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 01:29 AM UTC
Could not of found nobody better to do it.
Congrats to You Jim
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 01:38 AM UTC
Hey,
It's really talented guys like you that intimidate telentless guys like me! Keep up the good work and congratulations.
Will the short time span keep you from taking photos of the steps and writing a feature? Best of luck for such an honorable exercise.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower) and for the first time from me, .