_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
what annoys you the most?
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 679 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 05:48 AM UTC
For me its when you have a set of very small parts, i.e nuts and bolts, you know that if your not carefull when you cut it of the sprue it'll disappear over the horizon only to be devoured by the carpet monster. So you take your time and then right on the last one........
The carpet monster gets his ration!!!
I wish that the kit manufacturers would add maybe one or two extra of these little pieces just in case.
Its just happened to me again, thats why i bring it up. This time i can get away with it as the nut was for the wheel and can be hidden by some mud when i weather my finished kit but it still gets on my nerves when this happens.
What else has the same affect with you?
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
entire network: 534 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 05:51 AM UTC
same thing and my mom cleaning my work area. i mean it's the same effect
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 06:01 AM UTC
My biggest bugbear is when I've painted something. I do my painting in a seperate room to prevent dust and bits in the air settling on newly painted surfaces. When I return to carry on with the kit what do I find 9 times out of 10? A DOGHAIR stuck to the paint! The dog never evengoes in that room! He's my best mate but sometimes I wish I'd got a budgie instead.

Here's a link to a method for helping stop bits flying.
http://groups.msn.com/Armoramauk/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=559&LastModified=4675444175696710862
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 06:25 AM UTC
Hmmm, let me think.

When I am modelling the cat

Why?? Cat hairs and paint don't go to well. Plastic seems to be delicious to cats #:-) . Drying parts make nice toys. Open thinner, white spirit, .... bottles are there to be tipped over. Silicone rubber is nice to make cat paw molds; ....

Sometimes you would strangle her, but when they purr you forgive them again for a while. (this is the cat I'm talking about :-) :-) )

Kris
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 07:27 AM UTC
When the dinner gong goes!
Arthur
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 483 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 07:50 AM UTC
for me it's when i'm working with PE and i'm using CA glue i end up putting too much glue on then the piece gets covered and stuck all over my hand and when i finally peel it off it's encrusted with CA glue so I just drop it in some acetone and it goes away but it's annoying as hell.

aslo when the mother calls me down for dinner when i'm in the middle of something
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 07:52 AM UTC
My biggest gripes are when you are following difficult instruction sheets being careful to get all items correct ...... then 3 weeks later show the finished vehicle and left and right objects are mixed up or items are up-side-down ........ not because you did something wrong... but the instruction is wrong........ ever spend hours trying to assemble something according to instruction, it seems impossible and all because the instruction is wrong ......... both of these has happened to me.
The other is when your painting and open a tin of paint to see its not been properly closed the time before and has a skin like a sausgae on top.... happened once too often! Thing is I cant blame anybody else for this one!!!
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:02 AM UTC
I’m with Martin. “Tweezer launch” gets me every time. I know it’s going to happen, I tell myself to be careful, and two seconds later I am on my hands and knees looking for a microscopic piece of plastic that finds the darnedest places to hide. I love my hobby, but this is by far the most annoying part of it.

Mike
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:10 AM UTC
For me is to fix problems on resin kits...
Ciao
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:14 AM UTC
Hi there

I agree with all the above.

Another frustration is finding that vital reference picture just after you've got to a point when it's too late to change things, and you're left knowing you've built the model all wrong ...

All the best

Rowan
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:54 AM UTC
mine is loseing small parts on the floor,
and when u put small parts down i cant find them.
and some times not waiteing for the paint to dry lol
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm... it's gotta be silly posts like this! Just kidding.
It's having my desk on the carpet. No way around it, the whole house is carpeted. Pieces just love to play hide and seek in it!
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:05 AM UTC

Judges who judged based on detail that no one can possibly see! (goes along with those people who look down their noses on those who do not built detail, that is unveiwable. If they want to build it GREAT, but to get "Holy'er then Thou" toward us modeling pagans- mere mortals that we are - who choose not to built unseen parts isa bit silly and pompous.

Good friend of mine lost a gold medal becasue of a judge who actually stuck a dental mirror into an open hatch and marked him down for a lack of interior detail in a diorama catagory. werid....

that "parts on the carpet" also drives me wacko...

John
www.johnneill.com
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:55 AM UTC
HI. Number one on the list is the dreaded 'tweezer launch' that we never, ever, no matter how many models any of us build, seem to be able to work out of. Luckily in the last couple I've been building, even through I've dropped several parts on the floor, I have been able to find them. Of course, working out in the garage on a cement floor does have it's advantages in this department.

One good solution for those who work inside is putting down the simulated hard wood flooring in your room. This would have to be better than carpeting. Might be worth the time and money spent to put it in. Not that hard to do, except on the knees and hips. But this is an age thing.

Number two is painting. I'm easily frustrated when my stuff doesn't turn out like some of the very fine models I see on this and other sites and magazines. I know that the only cure for this is practice, practice, and more practice, and I am getting better, very slowly, but it still can be frustrating.

But when a model does come out that I can say I'm basically happy with the end results, I feel that I've really accomplished something positive and have learned a tad bit more about a particular vehicle and the time period it was used in, which is kind of one of the reasons I got involved with modeling AFVs in the first place.

Take care, sgirty
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I am modelling the cat

Why?? Cat hairs and paint don't go to well. Plastic seems to be delicious to cats . Drying parts make nice toys. Open thinner, white spirit, .... bottles are there to be tipped over. Silicone rubber is nice to make cat paw molds; ....

Sometimes you would strangle her, but when they purr you forgive them again for a while. (this is the cat I'm talking about )

Crossbow: I know exactly what you're talking about... Oh, to quote a quote( #:-) )
Quoted Text

Good friend of mine lost a gold medal becasue of a judge who actually stuck a dental mirror into an open hatch and marked him down for a lack of interior detail in a diorama catagory. werid....

Holy Moly! Thanks for your time,
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 719 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 10:46 AM UTC
The most frustrating thing for me comes from using etch. I lose my share of parts - but i've learned to deal with that... My problem is that I always super glue the parts to my tweezers (when I don't glue 'em to my face) very annoying. I have about 5 tweezers that I have to rotate through. When the CA gets a little tack on one, I have to switch out to another.

Later-
Jeff
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 10:55 AM UTC
For me, I'd have to add those tedeous small parts that need cleaning. When you do not pay that much attention, then the carpet monster gets fed.

Dave
AMPS LA
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 11:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's having my desk on the carpet. No way around it, the whole house is carpeted. Pieces just love to play hide and seek in it!

I have no carpets near where I model ....... only a hardwood floor and believe me this is not the perfect answer either. I keep the brush and dust-pan handy and have often been see sweeping the floor evry early in the morning. 9/10 times i will find it by sweeping though, but the 1/10th time is the one that gets you......... you wept the whole floor and its still missing ........ maybe theres another monster rather than the carpet monster ........ the Lostness monster! #:-)
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wish I'd got a budgie instead.

What the heck is a budgie??

Tweezer launch-- Drives me nuts!!!!

Also- getting bogged down with minutiae - Holding up working on an entire kit just because I want to airbrush some little part on the kit- times past I'd just hand paint and be happy with it.

Peter
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 11:58 AM UTC
i can agree with everthing that was said.I also find it annoying when I get booted off the computer right in the middle of a post
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:07 PM UTC
I hate parts that are small and thin. And when I take the sprue cutter to them, they just break in two. I hate those so much!

~Chip :-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:31 PM UTC
All of the above. The tweeser launch is the worst. Also I agree that there must be a cousin to the carpet monster, I also have all wood floors and there is SOMETHING down there that grabs parts. Of course once you no longer need them it regurgitates up again and they surface, for all the good they are.

This is a minor pet peave of mine but one that has been bugging me lately. Long ago, when I was first in the hobby, manufacturers had a list of parts in their instructions, and what they were. So instead of just calling something, part 27, they would say "part 27, left headlight." I found this very helpful to ID parts and newer kits don't seem to have it. I miss that.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 05:22 PM UTC
MMMM all of the above are true especially the monster of the carpet.!!! but the worst is when you have just started cuttin pieces out of the sprue , of a kit with 500 pieces and the lady of the house comes and says "are you finished?" and then after 10 minutes "now are u finished?"........
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 11:44 PM UTC
Hi. Halfyank's post reminded me of a problem that seems to becoming more normal than the exception.

Who the h--- is printing these instructions? They seem to be getting worse and worse as time goes on. Like halfhank says, it's not bad enough that they do not lable what a certain parts represent, so we can get some idea of their function if it isn't obvious, but it's sometimes shown installed backwards, unside down, etc. (I'm thinking of Dragon's Nashorn here), or not even shown at all.

Are these manufactuers testing our knowledge, research abilities, or maybe they are financially tied in with the book makers?

It's a real shame when you buy a kit, or are thinking about buying one, that one of the first things we seem to have to do is look around on the various sites on the Net to see what others have to say about what problems they've run into in just the basic building. I can see problems people may come up with in adding different after-market items, but this is something I think is totally unacceptable for OOTB kit building. This could be a real 'turn-off' to new modelers and cause some to just give up the hobby out of frustration.

Take care, sgirty
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2003 - 12:35 AM UTC
It would be the seam lines. I find it very hard to deal with them.
 _GOTOTOP