_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Remember! What was the first one?
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 05:05 AM UTC
i think to most of us the first armor model we make is important as a memory and maybe a fullcase of mistakes but is the first "true love".
So let everybody answer .WHAT WAS THE FIRST ARMORED MODEL YOU MADE? mine was ...hmmm i dont remember ....ahh yes was a TAMIYA TIGER early version..with a lot of mistakes not many improvements and a not so good painting but i liked it and got into the stuff or military modelling. Yours? havea pic? show off!!!!!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 05:14 AM UTC
My first armor model subject was Tamiya's M3A1 Half-Track. No pictures naturally, but I remember it fondly. That was one rugged backyard warrior and saved a few "little green men"...

Gunnie
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 05:33 AM UTC
Hi

My first armor model was not my first model. I started with cars {sorry my brothers made me do it ]. My first piece of armor was Tamiya's M4A3 brushed painted. it was pretty sad looking.

HarryD

brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC
My first ARMOUR kit was I think the airfix Sherman 1/72 scale. I didn't paint it, it was molded in green and the rubber tracks were black so it obviously didn't need paint. I seem to remember it was knocking around for quite a few years and eventually the tracks went really soft where they touched the plastic, almost as if they were melting.
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 424 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 06:02 AM UTC
The first armor model I remember was an Airfix 1/72 Matilda in the blister pack. It was admired at the Kiosk on many trips home from school before it found a home. It was the start of a fascination with the Matilda...

Mika
CRS
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 06:06 AM UTC
First Armored Kit, Aurora Plastics Knight Kits about 1955 First AFV this 1/76 little guy about 20 years ago, yes I still have it.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 06:27 AM UTC
Like many here my first model wasn't armor. My first model I ever owned was a Revell Bismarck that my neighbor built for me. My first model I made, with a LOT of help from my older brother, was a Revell B17 Mephis Belle. My first armor model was a 1/72 kit, probably Airfix. I'm not possitive but I THINK it was a Stug III. First 1/35 armor was Tamiya's Pz II, thought I know I never finished it, I never finished ANY 1/35 kits when I was younger. First kit since getting back into the hobby the Tmaiya M3 Lee which is still prodly displayed on my desk, and away from dusting wifes, grabbing neighbor kids, and tail wagging dogs.
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 483 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 06:35 AM UTC
mine was a tamiya Panzer III let's just say i don't have pics... and a few days later i blew it
up with m-80's. i had painted it like a really dark beige color not quite brown but defiantly not dark yellow. lots and lots of glue spots and burrs. it was a mess
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 06:50 AM UTC
My first kit, oh jesus.

Well, I still remember it, because I got it from my father and it was the missile on which he was a mechanic.

I believe it was from revell and it was the Nike Hercules Missile with launcher (scale 1/35)

I remember because fo this puppy we moved to El Paso and later to Germany

I wished I still had it
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 07:17 AM UTC
First armor model- I barely remember it-
A Monogram Sherman Calliope complete with Shep Paine Diorama insert. I was hooked!

Peter

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 07:39 AM UTC
First kit I think I did was the creature from the black lagoon..(with glow in the dark parts..ooooohhh!!)but my first armor kit was probably a matchbox sdkfz251 with the little dio base and the cool figures one jumping over the side while the othe kept the russians down with the machine gun....I was sold!!

Rick
GunTruck
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 07:52 AM UTC
Ronny - WONDERFUL photograph! I'd sure like to save that to my workbench projects folder as inspiration. I've been fancying that subject to model since I was a kid. I never got a hold of the RHM model though...

Gunnie
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 07:53 AM UTC
First armor model would have to go back to 1961 0r 62. Can't say waht the first was, but among them were a "Bulldog" tank (brand lost to the mysts of time) with figures that were probably 1/25 but bizarrely tall and skinny, a Scientific brand Atomic Cannon (255 mm Howitzer) that actually fired a shell, with transport vehicles, a Revell US SP gun, Monogram's series of a deuce and a half, jeep with 37mm AT gun, and Weasel as well as their support figure kits. These guys all wore silver helmets and the gun barrels matched the helmets. That was about the extent of my painting in those days. #:-)
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 08:15 AM UTC
My first model was built in the late 60's. It was either a MPC Dodge Challenger or a Monogram StuG III.

However, about two months ago my parents gave me a box and said "we found this packed away in the attic." And guess what? It was a box full of many of my old models from the late 60s early 70's It contained many of my MPC cars. Talk about a shocker (++)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:07 AM UTC
Hi there

My first armour kits were the Airfix Sherman and Tiger. I was about 6 years old, and needless to say, I didn't paint them. :-)

I think they ended up being destroyed many years later on Fireworks Night (Nov 5th) - in an early attempt at "Special FX" work! :-)

All the best

Rowan
waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:59 AM UTC
First model I can remember making was a P-38 that came in a box from the old 12 O'clock high T.V. series. It was one of the few shows we actually watched together and both liked. When he brought that kit home and gave it to me for no apparent reason, I was the happiest kid on the planet :-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah, AURORA! Did they ever let accuracy get in the way of a model? One plane covers 3 eras. The star and white bar of WWII, the three color tail flash of the thirties and the USAF of the 50's. #:-)
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC
Mine was an APC of some kind. And, yes I'm not affraid to be honest, it was set on fire and blown up with firecrackers.
I'm so ashamed
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 424 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nike Hercules Missile with launcher (scale 1/35)

Man! I remember building this kit in the mid-80's! When this came out with, what, three others I picked them all up! What a blast!

Looks like they go for about $25 each on ebay...

Mika
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:49 PM UTC
My very first model was a balsa triplane that I built with my father when I was about 5. My first AFV was Tamiya's M2A2 Bradley with interior.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:55 PM UTC
My first model- Japanese Zero from Monogram. Built it in a night.

Armor model- Tamiya Sdkfz Kanonwagen. Still not done, but have completed many more armor models since that one. Its all busted up now, and a piece is missing.

But like I said I have built many more armor models since, even won an award for a couple.

~Chip :-)
LittleNick
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 147 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 02:27 PM UTC
Mine Was The Sherman M4A3 By Tamiya
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 02:43 PM UTC
First armor model was some 1/48th scale Aurora British tank -- can't remember which one, but I still have the tank commander figure in my parts box.

The beginning of my "serious" armor modelling days started with a Monogram Stug IV -- before that it was a few airplanes and LOTS of cars.
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 04:07 PM UTC
My first armour was a Hot Pink Walker Bulldog with a huge spoiler and chrome rims. It was so PIMP!
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 04:25 PM UTC
my first kit was the Airfix 1:600 scale HMS Daring but the First armour kit i can remember was the Tamiya Panther Tank (motorised).
All the best
Pete (++) (++)
 _GOTOTOP