_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Compulsive Spenders?
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2002 - 01:21 PM UTC
we have one "hobby shop" which carrys fewer kits than I own, but once in a while he gets something really nice. This last week I went in and there was a Revell PBY5A, the new one!! I could not resist it, though, when I will get the time to build the darn thing is beyond me... but it is one cool kit. I already have the Black Cat decals on the way... now I have to buy another one so I can build one like the ones they used to base here during WWII.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:01 AM UTC
You know... I was just trying to look for some reference photos of an sdkfz 7/2, and I stumbled across a complete walkaround of an M7 Preist. :-) Needless to say, I will be the owner of Italeri's M7 the next time I walk out of Hobby Lobby...... #:-)

YodaMan
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 08:38 AM UTC
COMPULSIVE SPENDERS II: ATTACK OF THE CREDIT CARDS!!!

Yup that's right...Yoda now has a credit card. (cue music from "The Twilight Zone")
Hey, guess what? My Hobby Lobby moved some models to clearance, and restocked the rest of thier offerings...
I went in to 'look' today, and got an M8 Howitzer carrige, and the Tamiya Marder II... Hey, they were on clearance! Clearance! You can't beat that, right?

Maybe

How does an M26 Armored Recovery Vehicle sound? No, I didn't get it... I'm not crazy enough, yet. It's the one without the trailer for $80... That's pretty good for me!
As a measure of safety, I think I'll leave the credit card at home whenever I go to a hobby store.

YodaMan
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 09:07 AM UTC
Incredibly, I don't have that problem at the local hobby shop.
My problem starts when i go to swap meets and shows. Luckily, I only have cash (no cc's) and i am restricted to what ever amount I bring.

Let's just say I usually walk out with my hands full and my wallet empty :-)
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 05:36 PM UTC
Whenever I get near the hobby shops out here, I start to hear the cries coming from all of those homeless models on the shelves begging for me to take them home. It's a rare day that I don't go in there and leave without something :-)
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 07:44 PM UTC
Talk about compulsive spending, my wife was laid off for 3 almost 4 months and finally got a new job a few weeks ago. In "celebration" (at least that is what I told her) I went on an internet shopping spree. When the dust had settled, I had placed orders for $300 with Great Models, $400 with HobbyLink Japan and between $200 and $300 with other miscellaneous places such as RZM Imports, E-Bay, and R&J Products. I don't know what came over me, but it felt so good to be able to spend money after almost 4 months of having to be extremely careful with my money.

Yodaman. Do yourself a favor while you are still young and don't use those credit cards for anything other than emergencies (models don't count). If you buy items on "clearance" with the CC and don't pay the bill off immediately, those models were purchased for a lot more than the clearance price after interest. Trust me. I just got out of college recently and basically lived off of credit cards while there and I still have thousands to pay back (maybe that is where I should have put my thousand bucks from the shopping spree rather than into models ).
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 04:52 AM UTC
Not me! My wife has guns and I'm the clown that bought them for her! #:-)

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 08:05 AM UTC
That Dragon Wagon and Pe was a spur of the moment thing. God I have to stay home more.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 08:09 AM UTC
I blame my compulsive spending on you guys . I heard on this site how great the ICM T-35 kit was, that when I saw it at the local hobby shop, I bought it. The thing cost $75! I could of got it for $20 less on the internet, but at least this way I didn't have to wait for it to arrive in the mail...........right? Actually, I haven't even started it yet, but it does look nice.

Nic
PEIRECCE
Visit this Community
Prince Edward Island, Canada
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 01:51 AM UTC
You need to get out of a more expensive hobby and your wife will leave you alone. Mine keeps a watchful eye but is much happier than when the visa had a $5000 race gun on it #:-) . Marraige would be no fun if you can't sneak something by your wife!!!!
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 09:09 PM UTC
:-) Just to update things here: My last BIG spending spree was last month...BUT the catch to it was....DRUM ROLL... I was able to get three model for the price of one. OH and my wife was along for the ride. And since the deal was so sweet, She sould not say no. Besides...She found something for her son for Christmas too. But on the other hand it was also the last big spend until after Christmas. Sooooo Other than paint of minor supply needs.. No more spending for me... Unless you count the Savage Model 110 30-06 that I am buying myself fro my Birthday He-He-He-He. The wife is not too happy about that idea. But isd not fussing TOO Loudly..( LOL) BOY I had better make Christmas A REALLY good one this year !!! LOL.

DAGGER-1

BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 07:20 PM UTC
Girls do hate to admit that they like their toys too don't they? :-)
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 10:37 PM UTC
NO,there will always be something you need.
and when you have everything you need,a new kit will come out that you dont have(and you will need it).
then you will you will discover there are things you need for it that you dont have.
and when you have all the things you need for it.they will come out with a new kit that you dont have.
does anybody see a pattern here?
 _GOTOTOP